PDA

View Full Version : Politico Distorts Pres.'s Speech- Made His Point

Gayle in MD
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Politico must be trying to compete with Fox. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/29/politico-helpfully-proves_n_442333.html

pooltchr
02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Do you ever read anything other than HuffPo?

Steve

sack316
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Either that or Huffington is just being... well Huffington.

From the rest of the polito article that the HuffPo conveniently failed to link to:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obama’s comments came in the midst of an extraordinary back-and-forth with Republican House members — a scene straight out of the House of Commons that played out live on cable TV.

Republicans invited Obama to appear at their annual conference; the president accepted — and then surprised them by asking that cameras and reporters be allowed into the room.

Republicans immediately agreed to the request, but they may be regretting it now. </div></div>

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=7B3C43A3-18FE-70B2-A82FFE065C5692BE

Link is to the entire article, which actually champions Obama in the exchange much the same way you and Q have so accurately portrayed it on here. Politico agrees with you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif But sshhhh, don't tell HuffPo!

Sack

Gayle in MD
02-01-2010, 11:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either that or Huffington is just being... well Huffington.

From the rest of the polito article that the HuffPo conveniently failed to link to:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obama’s comments came in the midst of an extraordinary back-and-forth with Republican House members — a scene straight out of the House of Commons that played out live on cable TV.

Republicans invited Obama to appear at their annual conference; the president accepted — and then surprised them by asking that cameras and reporters be allowed into the room.

Republicans immediately agreed to the request, but they may be regretting it now. </div></div>

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=7B3C43A3-18FE-70B2-A82FFE065C5692BE

Link is to the entire article, which actually champions Obama in the exchange much the same way you and Q have so accurately portrayed it on here. Politico agrees with you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif But sshhhh, don't tell HuffPo!

Sack </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And now, here's how Politico chose to capture the entire, wide-ranging discussion that the President and the House GOP had, in the email they frantically rushed out to my inbox at 1:13 this afternoon:

POLITICO Breaking News: -----------------------------------------------------
President Barack Obama, speaking at the House Republican retreat in Baltimore, accuses Republicans of portraying health care reform as a "Bolshevik plot" and telling their constituents that he is "doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America."

And thus, Obama's point has been duly made!

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">He's refering to the E-mail they rushed out, not to the article.

Did you read his e-mail? </span>

sack316
02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
The article I linked to was "rushed out" a full 15 minutes earlier than the email.

I'd wager Linkins either just chose what he wanted out of the email, or chose not to click a link in his email to the entire article.

Sack

Gayle in MD
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The article I linked to was "rushed out" a full 15 minutes earlier than the email.

I'd wager Linkins either just chose what he wanted out of the email, or chose not to click a link in his email to the entire article.

Sack </div></div>

I'd expect you to wager such.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

LWW
02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Hmmm ... I wonder if, just maybe, POLITICO reported this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POLITICO Breaking News: -----------------------------------------------------
President Barack Obama, speaking at the House Republican retreat in Baltimore, accuses Republicans of portraying health care reform as a "Bolshevik plot" and telling their constituents that he is "doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America."</div></div>

because Obama said this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But if you were to listen to the debate, and, frankly, how some of you went after this bill, you'd think that this thing was some Bolshevik plot.

No, I mean, that's how you guys -- that's how you guys presented it.</div></div>

and this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not suggesting that we're going to agree on everything, whether it's on health care or energy or what have you, but if the way these issues are being presented by the Republicans is that this is some wild-eyed plot to impose huge government in every aspect of our lives</div></div>

&gt;&gt;&gt;OH DEAR&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/01/obama_youd_think_this_thing_wa.html)

LWW

sack316
02-01-2010, 11:32 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I do love a safe wager /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

Gayle in MD
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">:)

I do love a safe wager /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

LOL, you quote two right wing journalists, from what is an obvious hit job on the President, and then you want to bet on their honest appriasals? There were a number of shots at Obama in that piece.

LMAO!

Pahleeeze!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Obama<span style='font-size: 17pt'> rumbles </span>with House GOP
By: Patrick O'Connor and Tim Grieve
January 29, 2010 12:58 PM EST

BALTIMORE — President Barack Obama on Friday <span style='font-size: 14pt'>accused </span>Republicans of portraying health care reform as a "Bolshevik plot" and telling their constituents that he’s "doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America."

Speaking to House Republicans at their annual policy retreat here, Obama said that over-the-top GOP attacks on him and his agenda have made it virtually impossible for Republicans to address the nation’s problems in a bipartisan way.

“What happens is that you guys don’t have a lot of room to negotiate with me,” Obama said. "The fact of the matter is, many of you, if you voted with the administration on something, are politically vulnerable with your own base, with your own party because what you've been telling your constituents is, ‘This guy's doing all kinds of crazy stuff that's going to destroy America.' ''

Obama’s comments came in the midst of an extraordinary back-and-forth with Republican House members — <span style='font-size: 17pt'>a scene straight out of the House of Commons that played out live on cable TV. </span>

<span style="color: #000066">Complete misrepresentation. There was no unbridled screaming out and booing like one sees during the House Of Commons. </span>

<span style="color: #000066">Good move on his part while they make it sound like a set up, aren't they the ones who are alswyas screaming about televising everything???? What a crock!</span>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Republicans immediately agreed to the request, but they may be regretting it now.
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>

<span style="color: #000066">I'll bet! </span>
Again and again, Obama turned the Republicans questions against them — accusing them </span>of obstructing legislation for political purposes and offering solutions that won’t work.

<span style="color: #000066">Notice the way this is slanted. He did not come off in an accusatory manner, at all. He did not turn their questions against them, he answered them honestly and truthfully. How is that portrayed by these partisan RWers? Slanted as hell....Hit Job! </span>

"I've read your legislation. I take a look at this stuff. And the good ideas we take," Obama said. "It can't be all or nothing, one way or the other … If we put together a stimulus package in which a third of it is tax cuts that normally you guys would support, and support for states and the unemployed and helping people stay on COBRA, that certainly your governors would support … and maybe there are some things in there, with respect to infrastructure, that you don't like … If there's uniform opposition because the Republican caucus doesn't get 100 percent or 80 percent of what you want, then it's going to be difficult to get a deal done, because that's not how democracy works."

House Minority Leader John Boehner, who introduced Obama to his colleagues and gave the president a stack of Republican policy proposals, said afterward that the event had been “a good first step in having more of a dialogue.”

<span style="color: #000066">LMAO, Proposals without any CBO critique, and without any suggestions of how the hell to pay for them, and without any expert investigation and rendering into whether they are even efficacious, or will work, is not POLICY PROPOSALS. </span>

Arizona Rep. Jeff Flake said the event had helped his party by showing that Republicans have offered alternatives to Obama’s plans.

<span style="color: #000066">Again, a dishonest appraisal of what they have offerred. </span>

"The real effort here was to convince people out there that we have offered solutions, we've offered things,” Flake said. “For him to say, ‘Yes, I've read your proposal; it's a substantive proposal’ — that's good. That's a huge thing for Republicans."

<span style="color: #000066">this entire exchange, desinged to make it look like Republicans have made any sincere offers, is a joke. They Vote NO REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY OF THEIR "OFFERSS" ARE INCLUDED, as we ALL KNOW! </span>

House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence of Indiana began Friday’s question-and-answer session by asking Obama whether he’d embrace “across the board” tax cuts as a way to revive the economy, and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) asked him to support a line-item veto to help achieve a balanced budget.

Obama <span style='font-size: 17pt'>pushed back hard, accusing Republicans </span> <span style="color: #000066">Hit Job, AGain, there was no accusatory theme by the President, he was good natured, and smiling throughout the Q and A. </span> of putting party before principle and voting against his 2009 stimulus plan but then attending “ribbon cuttings” for stimulus projects in their own districts.

<span style="color: #000066">that happens to be the truth&gt; STating the truith, is Pusing back hard? I don't think so, unless you are a lying Republican. </span>

If Republicans believe in both across-the-board tax cuts and a balanced budget, Obama said he’d like to see their math.

<span style="color: #000066">So would I. They're absurd. Probably one of the dumbest statements ever made by Republicans.</span>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>
The afternoon started on a more conciliatory note, with Obama saying in opening remarks hat he expects Republicans to challenge his ideas — and that he understands that there are sometimes fundamental policy differences between the parties.
<span style="color: #000066">Hit Job. The afternoon was cordial throughout. </span>

</span>"Having differences of opinion, having a real debate about matters of domestic policy and national security, that's something that's not only good for our country, it's absolutely essential,” he said.

But he also <span style='font-size: 17pt'>criticized</span> the Republicans for reflexively opposing his policies — even when, he said, they were in line with GOP principles. And the encounter got progressively more raucous from there.

<span style="color: #000066">Out right LIE!~ I was watching, Live, and no such mood occured. Hit Job! </span>

Obama urged Republicans to come to the table and work with him on policy compromises, saying Americans "didn't send us to Washington to fight each other in some political steel-cage match."

What voters don’t want, he said, is "for Washington to continue being so Washington-like."

The president asked the Republicans to support his proposal to provide small businesses with a $5000 tax credit for each new employee they add — an idea Republicans panned before he even made the offer.
<span style="color: #000066">name something they haven't panned! </span>
He also asked them to support his plan to freeze nonmilitary discretionary spending for three years.

"Join me," Obama asked. "Nothing in this proposal that runs contrary to the ideological predisposition of this caucus."

"We have seen some party-line votes that have been disappointing," he said, recalling the stimulus fight. "I didn't understand then, and I still don't understand, why we got opposition in this caucus for almost $300 billion in badly needed tax cuts for the American people" and other assistance and infrastructure projects.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Obama jabbed</span>: "Let's face it, some of you have been at the ribbon-cuttings for some of these important projects in your communities."

<span style="color: #000066">Hit Job, that's not a jab, it's the truth. </span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Continuing on a confrontational tack,</span> <span style="color: #000066">Again, Gross Hit Job, completely misleading. The President was not confrontatuional, at all, throughout.</span> Obama defended key components of his agenda, including the proposed fee on bailed-out banks — telling Boehner: "If you listen to the American people, John, they’ll tell you they want their money back."

At the end of his remarks — before taking questions —– Obama told Republicans it's time to make a choice between aiming for "success at the polls" or "lasting success" for the country. "Just think about it for a while," he said. "We don't have to put it up for a vote today."

Freshman Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) went after the president harder, accusing him of breaking promising about transparency, lobbyists and partisanship.

“I can look you in the eye and tell you we have not been obstructionists,” he said.

Obama acknowledged that Chaffetz had a “legitimate complaint” about not putting health care negotiations on C-SPAN — as the president had vowed they would be — but he also asked Chaffetz what he was doing within his own caucus to make sure that Republicans were working with him in bipartisan way.

<span style="color: #000066">Hit Job, another gross misrepresentation. He actually explained how if is impossible to televise multiple committees, and the fractured mess they turned this entire HC debate into, simultaneously. </span>

Midway through the questions and answers, Pence said that there would be just a few more questions.

Obama said he wasn’t in any hurry to leave.

"I'm having fun,” Obama said. “This is great."

Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.) seemed to enjoy the experience a little less.

<span style="color: #000066"> </span>
Price said he’s asked to meet with Obama every week for a year but that his question-and-answer round — about health care proposals Republicans have offered — was the first time they’ve actually spoken.

“He didn't even address the question,” Price grumbled afterward. “He distorted the premise and refused to even answer the question."

<span style="color: #000066">Again, that is another out right lie. The president explained that the Republicans can't just send him ideas, without any expert opinions from economists about how they would impact things, and how they would be paid for. They actually jhaven['t offered a damn thing, and when they do, they vote against it anyway. </span>

Price said Republicans had proven that they have ideas, that Obama has received them and that he wouldn’t answer their questions.

<span style="color: #000066">LMAO! This reminds me of exactly what we see going on around here. A gross distortion, again. He was standing there answering questions for an hour. He explained the answers, with a good amount of good will, and good humor. Ideas are worth NOTHING, without any documentation to support them.</span>

"I don't know that you could get any more out of that than we did,” he said.

Alexander Burns and Jake Sherman contributed to this report.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">If you can't see through this hit job, from four RW scabs, I give up!

G. </span>

pooltchr
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
What's wrong with you, Sack? You know that if it isn't in HuffPo, it can't be true!

Steve

sack316
02-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I quoted the exact same writing of which this thread was based on. I didn't pick out two right wing journalists' rebuttals to the HuffPo piece, I quoted exactly what the HuffPo piece refers to.

Sack

Gayle in MD
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I quoted the exact same writing of which this thread was based on. I didn't pick out two right wing journalists' rebuttals to the HuffPo piece, I quoted exactly what the HuffPo piece refers to.

Sack </div></div>

Sack<span style="color: #000066">,
I was editing my post while you were writing this.

You provided a link to the Politico Article, did you not? You are suggesting that the neither the Politico Article, nor their e-mail, were hit jobs on the President.

I disagree.

I have just given my thoughts on it, and also, my thoughts on the RW Scabs who wrote it.

I saw the entire meeting, and their version of it is a huge hit job, by Politico, and their two RW scabs....

Sorry, won't fly, at all, IMO.

G.</span>

Gayle in MD
02-01-2010, 02:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I quoted the exact same writing of which this thread was based on. I didn't pick out two right wing journalists' rebuttals to the HuffPo piece, I quoted exactly what the HuffPo piece refers to.

Sack </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">No, you didn't. The Huffpo piece refers to an E-mail....

Where is your copy of the E-mail, which is what the Huffpo piece refers to????

while you're at it:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 1. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - DEFICIT NEUTRAL BILL: "Do the American people believe that this almost 2,000 page bill won't add to the deficit?" [Rep. Eric Cantor, 10/29/2009]
HOUSE BILL - DEFICIT NEUTRAL BILL: According to the Congressional Budget Office, the House bill costs $894 billion over 10 years and actually reduces the deficit by $30 billion and continues to reduce the deficit over the second 10 years.

2. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - REDUCE COSTS OVER LONG TERM: "Nevertheless, House Republicans recognize the need to lower health care costs." [Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN), 9/9/09]

HOUSE BILL - REDUCES COSTS OVER LONG TERM: Encourages payment reforms that can help lower costs. Requires the Department of Health and Human Services to establish specific benchmarks for expansion of the Accountable Care Organization, Payment Bundling, and Medical Home pilot programs. The bill will also slow the rate of growth of the Medicare program from 6.6% annually to 5.3%.

3. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - POLICIES ACROSS STATE LINES: "Interstate competition allowing people to buy insurance across state lines." [Sen. John Thune (R-SD), 9/8/2009]

HOUSE BILL - POLICIES ACROSS STATE LINES: Allows for the creation of State Health Insurance Compacts - permits states to enter into agreements to allow for the sale of insurance across state lines.

4. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - MEDICAL MALPRACTICE REFORM: "Why not bring about reasonable restrictions and limits on medical malpractice claims to end the era of defensive medicine?" [Rep. Mike Pence (R-IA), 9/9/2009]

HOUSE BILL - ENCOURAGES MALPRACTICE REFORM: The bill establishes a voluntary state incentives grant program to encourage states to implement "certificate of merit" and "early offer" alternatives to traditional medical malpractice litigation.

5. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - HIGH RISK POOLS: "Senator McCain has a proposal sometimes called high-risk pools at the state level...These are efforts I think we can have bipartisan agreement on and deal with the question of pre-existing conditions." [Rep. Eric Cantor (R-VA), 9/10/2009]

HOUSE BILL - HIGH RISK POOLS: To fill the gap before the Exchange becomes available in 2013, the bill creates an insurance program with financial assistance for those uninsured for several months or denied policy due to preexisting conditions.

6. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - ALLOW YOUNG PEOPLE TO STAY ON PARENTS' POLICIES: "Recognizes that not all high school and college graduates are able to find a job that offers health care coverage after graduation. By allowing dependents to remain on their parents' health policies up to the age of 25, the number of uninsured Americans could be reduced by up to 7 million." [Republican Health Solutions Group]

HOUSE BILL - ALLOW YOUNG PEOPLE TO STAY ON PARENTS' POLICIES: The bill requires health plans to allow young people to remain on their parents' insurance policy until they turn 27.

7. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - NO PUBLIC MONEY FOR ABORTION: "The American people will not stand for government-run insurance that uses taxpayer money to fund abortions in this country." [Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN), 10/16/2009]

HOUSE BILL - NO PUBLIC MONEY FOR ABORTION: The bill prohibits abortion services from being made part of essential benefits package and prohibits federal funds from being used to pay for abortion (except in cases of rape, incest, and to save life of the woman).

8. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - PROTECT SMALL BUSINESSES: "Helps employers offer health care coverage to their workers by reducing their administrative costs through a new small business tax credit." [Republican Health Solutions Group]

HOUSE BILL - PROTECTS SMALL BUSINESSES: The bill exempts 86% of businesses from the requirement to provide coverage. Businesses with payrolls below $500,000 are exempt while firms with payrolls between $500,000 and $750,000 would pay a graduated penalty. Small businesses would also receive a tax credit that helps cover 50% of their health care expenses.

9. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - PROMOTE JOB WELLNESS PROGRAMS: "Promotes prevention and wellness by giving employers and insurers greater flexibility to financially reward employees who seek to achieve or maintain a healthy weight, quit smoking, and manage chronic illnesses like diabetes." [Republican Health Solutions Group]

HOUSE BILL - PROMOTE JOB WELLNESS PROGRAMS: The bill establishes a grant program to help small employers create or strengthen workplace wellness programs.

10. REPUBLICANS ASKED FOR - DELIVERY SYSTEM REFORM: "Uses new and innovative treatment programs to better coordinate care between health
care providers, ensuring that those with chronic disease receive the care they need and do not continue to fall through the cracks." [Republican Health Solutions Group]

HOUSE BILL - DELIVERY SYSTEM REFORM: The bill requires the Department of Health and Human Services to establish specific benchmarks for the expansion of the Accountable Care Organization, Payment Bundling, and Medical Home pilot programs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/31/tv-soundoff-sunday-talkin_n_443488.html

Feel free to point out the government takeover and socialism. </div></div></span>

http://mediamatters.org/research/201001300005

sack316
02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You provided a link to the Politico Article, did you not?</div></div>

Yes, I provided a link to what this thread was referring to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You are suggesting that the neither the Politico Article, nor their e-mail, were hit jobs on the President.</div></div>

No I do not think it was a "hit job" on the President. What words by the authors constitute a hit job? Any negativity was quotes from republicans. The tone of the article was one of Obama basically dominating the back and forth of the event. As evident by "Republicans immediately agreed to the request, but they may be regretting it now".

What from the article do you perceive to be part of a "hit"?

Sack

Gayle in MD
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You provided a link to the Politico Article, did you not?</div></div>

Yes, I provided a link to what this thread was referring to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You are suggesting that the neither the Politico Article, nor their e-mail, were hit jobs on the President.</div></div>

No I do not think it was a "hit job" on the President. What words by the authors constitute a hit job? Any negativity was quotes from republicans. The tone of the article was one of Obama basically dominating the back and forth of the event. As evident by "Republicans immediately agreed to the request, but they may be regretting it now".

Sack </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">go back to your response about "Safe Wager" and you'll se my edited response to you.

g. </span>

LWW
02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sack </div></div>

My guess is that it was a mere 90% pro dearest leader, instead of the 100% he deserves.

LWW