PDA

View Full Version : adapting to a match environment !

acuerate
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi again,

It's Johan again here with a post related to my previous post on tip size.

A big issue about tournament play is adapting fast to the different cloth on the tournament table. If you're used to play in your club then surely the cloth (nap) will be different then the one you will have to play on. This can create a lot of problems if you play with a high deflection cue (big tipsize 12-13mm). Let me give you an example :

You need to play a pot with a deep screw to gain position on the next ball. Most players (even pro's) don't have a perfect technique and they will have traces of left or right hand side on the cue ball (unintentional). If you hit the cue ball low then the slightest trace of side spin will deflect the cue ball to the opposite direction.
With a standard cue 12-13mm this deflection will be considerable.

Obviously players adapt to their technical flaws and will aim to miss (subconsciously) and in this way compensate for the deflection.

The challenge is that if they play on another table which reacts differently on the side spin (less or more deflection) that will start missing shots which they normally pot at their club ...

So high deflection cues can cause you to miss pots where you play with deep screw shots or other shots with side spin.

The impact when you use a low deflection cue is much less because the 'scope of deflection' is much smaller and therefor the different cloth of nap will only have a minor impact on the intended direction of the ball.

Chris Hendy, my business parnter, and top snooker coach has studied cue ball physics for 15 years and we have learnt a lot as we developped our cues.

Feel free to ask us anything about this topic.

Enjoy the game,

Johan
Acuerate Team

Tony_in_MD
02-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Don't think I have ever missed a ball because of nap of the cloth.

Even if I did, I don't think a cue will solve my problem.

Maybe you should advertise someplace else.

Qtec
02-03-2010, 06:13 AM
You should read this. link (http://billiards.colostate.edu/physics/Shepard_squirt.pdf)

It has LONG been know that less endmass reduces squirt. This is nothing new. Predator 314,Z-shaft, Meucci red dot, black dot etc etc are all based on the same principal- reduce the effective endmass and you reduce squirt but at what cost?
What are the specifics of acurate cues? Are they hollow or filled with foam like Predator?

Q

Bambu
02-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Foam filled, made in china, mass produced....but I still love it.

acuerate
02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Hi Qtec,

handmade and patent pending. But patent will soon be granted in US :-) In fact, we were at Predator and our cues were tested on their robot as well as on the robot of Bob Meucci :-) To their great unbelieve our cues outperformed their low deflection cues easily... Check with Chis if you know him. We even still have the 'blueprint' of the test with the marks were the cue ball landed on the cushion as the test was performed... Obviously it's kept secret :-) hhahaha ... Yet we stay modest.

Cheers,

Johan

Qtec
02-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I have read the site. No new info is provided since the last time I looked, at least 18 months ago. That was just after Chris done a tour of Holland promoting the acurate cue around the country in various clubs.
Over the years I have read 100,s of threads with 1,000s of pages on this subject and believe me, this subject has been done to death.
Like I said,current thinking is that, less endmass reduces squirt and taper is not significant. ie if you took a 10 mm tip snooker cue and sanded the shaft and tip down to 8 mm, squirt would be reduced.

My Q is simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What are the specifics of acurate cues? Are they hollow or filled with foam like Predator?

Q</div></div>

You are the one promoting a product and claiming that there has been no evolution in cues for the last 50 years! Its up to you to convince us!
Predator provides a history of the evolution of its shafts and provides video evidence [ whether you believe it or not] to back up its claims. All you seem to have as physical evidence is a piece of paper with some marks on it!

If you make claims then you have to be able to back it up with proof, otherwise they are just claims and not facts.

Q

cushioncrawler
02-06-2010, 04:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acuerate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">......You need to play a pot with a deep screw to gain position on the next ball. Most players (even pro's) don't have a perfect technique and they will have traces of left or right hand side on the cue ball (unintentional). If you hit the cue ball low then the slightest trace of side spin will deflect the cue ball to the opposite direction. With a standard cue 12-13mm this deflection will be considerable......</div></div>It haz been sayd that some pool players hav a bridge'length that suits their cue deflection -- if so each cue needs its own bridge length.
This iz uzually for applying english -- but nothing iz ever sayd about its applycation for shots needing zero english.
Az u say, even good players get nonintentional english.
But, a low'deflection cue will uzually giv u more nonintentional english.
But everyone iz different -- and, every cue iz different -- and, every cue iz better than every other cue, for some shot, somewhere, sometime.
madMac.

acuerate
02-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi Q,

I agree with you ... yet ... the proof of the pudding is in the eating :-) Predator is using it's hollow structure which technically has it limits. We don't say our technology is superior but it surely performs better when it comes to deflection. I hope one day you can experience this.

And you are right about that piece of paper... but if you call e.g. Bob Meucci then he will surely remember Chris's visit at his ranch and he also has a robot and predator cues samples ... Locigally mr. Meucci will not be happy to confirm that our sample outperformed all other cues :-)

Cheers,

Johan

Pask
02-06-2010, 07:20 AM
I think there is no proof of technical advance, regarding deflection, but scientific demonstration. This has always been this way for any scientific step forward. This is the difference between personnal conviction/feeling/intuition (which is a good start to discover something new), then theory (based on facts, experiments, studies...) and then scientific proof (following a scientific process that will show your theory works on any case). Of course, many scientific theories have been followed so far, like Darwin's (evolution of species) or Einstein's (relativity), but keep in mind that they remain theories until proof has been established.

So Johan, here's my 2c : how can you prove your gear is the best? Whether you use a robot, a pool player or even a squirel for measuring and proving, I'm eagerly waiting for a proof from you.

Otherwise, it would just remain theory to me, certainly based on solid experimental results or so.

Personnally, I guess all high-tech cue manufacturers have found new processes and that each of them has good points. But no-one has really found the universal solution to deflection yet, and each process/manufacturer has its own good and bad points - and for commercial obvious reasons, they would only talk about their good points. For example, Bob Meucci's robot certainly can measure the good points of red/black dot shafts compared to other brands. But can it really measure its weak points?...

Pool playing, and pool cue technology, to my mind, require too many parameters, factors depending on balls, slate, table, wood, joint, ferrule, tip, grip, the player, personnal stroke, mood, environment, etc etc etc... the equation to the solution should have more than one variable (the shaft) for solving one single issue (deflection). That's why, for the moment, it remains a matter of personnal taste, whether you be a player or a manufacturer.

PS - I forgot to add : my Joss cue is the best!!!........ (to me!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Qtec
02-06-2010, 08:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acuerate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Q,

I agree with you ... yet ... the proof of the pudding is in the eating :-) Predator is using it's hollow structure which technically has it limits. We don't say our technology is superior but it surely performs better when it comes to deflection. <u>I hope one day you can experience this.</u></div></div>

I have tried the cue. All I am asking is what 'technology' makes this cue different? Do I need to saw one open to find out or are you going to tell me? BTW, you did say,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feel free to ask us anything about this topic.

Enjoy the game,

Johan
Acuerate Team </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And you are right about that piece of paper... but if you call e.g. Bob Meucci </div></div>

LOL. Sure I will call him up! Then again, why stop there, I guess everyone who wants more info should just call up Bob instead of asking you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> then he will surely remember Chris's visit at his ranch and he also has a robot and predator cues samples ... Locigally mr. Meucci will not be happy to confirm that our sample outperformed all other cues :-)

Cheers,

Johan
</div></div>

I just checked his site and,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why a Meucci ?

It's the cue with a history of performance!
The entire cue is built with one priority in mind: to give every
player more power with less effort. Meucci is unquestionably the most
accurate tool ever built for the game of pool!

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>World renowned as the cue that deflects the least of any brand.</span>
</div></div>

BTW, on the acuerate site it doesn't even say which Predator cues or shafts were used. Same for Meucci. link (http://www.acuerate.com/index.php?lang=en&rub=tch&pag=3)

Why don't you just call Bob Meucci up and get him to confirm your claims here on the board or your website?

Also, someone mentioned your cues are made in China, is that true?

Q

Qtec
02-06-2010, 08:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, a low'deflection cue will uzually giv u more nonintentional english. </div></div>

Sounds like something you would say! LOL
What are you getting at?

Q............because of the smaller tip?

cushioncrawler
02-07-2010, 12:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But, a low'deflection cue will uzually giv u more nonintentional english.</div></div>Sounds like something you would say! LOL What are you getting at? Q............because of the smaller tip?</div></div>Q -- My team played Round 1 of the 2010 snooker here this week. I havnt touched a cue much since Nov 2009 -- i hav been playing golf.
So, i hit a few shots on my home table prior to our match -- just straight'in shots mainly -- for a few minutes.
I woz mainly trying to run'throo and skrew'back with zero nonintentional sidespin.
To do this i found that i hadta hold my elbow outish a bit.
And, hold the cue shortish.
And, hav a large gap tween Qtip and Qball.
The backswing iz mainly hand.
The forwardswing iz mainly pump -- the cue lifting up off the (Vee) bridge.
Bewdyfull -- i could even get the Qball to skrew'back with right'and'spin -- lovely.
So, with a few minutes of prakits -- i am ready for my match.
So, i load up my little dim'sim boiler -- and a packet of small beef dim'sims -- for the supper -- and off i go.
And, sure'nuff, uzing this style, i pot snooker balls all over the table -- talking about a 12' table here.
Karnt wait for the billiards season -- snooker iz boring.
madMac.
Oh, re the nonintentional spin -- yes, i reckon u would get more nonintentional spin the thinner (whippyer) the cue -- and yes i suppoze the smaller the Qtip -- unless u did something like what i sayd i did.
But nonintentional spin aint paramount -- getting the objekt'ball in the hole kumz first -- eg, it dont matter if u slice or hook in golf az long az u win.
madMac.

acuerate
02-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Dear Q,

I don't think that either Meucci or Predator will even confirm our visit ! Yet Chris has all the detailed info on the testing and can give all relevant info about the test robots and who has conducted them or who of both companies was present at that time.
Regarding production : we use a high tec production facility in China where we have set up the machinery which is needed to produce our spec.

Consider that even mr. John Paris (recognised as the best cues in the world, are produced in China :-) ... Predator is also producing in China ... who not ?

When I was in China I have seen cartons of cues with destination Jacksonville ;-)

Cheers,
Johan

Pask
02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acuerate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">even mr. John Paris (<u>recognised as the best cues in the world</u></div></div>

Oh really?... so your cues aren't the best then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acuerate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Predator is also producing in China ... who not ? </div></div>

So should I take that as a warranty of good quality? If Mr Predator goes up to the Golden Gate Bridge to jump down into the San Francisco Bay, should we all do the same then?...

FYI : there are still cuemakers who don't make their goods in China but in their home countries, and they are famous ones, some of them have also been inducted to the American Cuemakers Association hall of fame for instance. But maybe they should change and go for China?!

The first reason if many companies make goods in China is because it costs less to pay Chinese than Western craftsmen. And do you think you would make a good job if you were paid at least 10 times less, and working 3 times more?...

Come on! The more I read your posts, the more I feel like reading advertising brochures about a low-end miraculous blender! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

The good point here is that, at least, we all get good information from other CCB people discussing here.

Qtec
02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acuerate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Q,

I don't think that either Meucci or Predator will even confirm our visit !</div></div>

You just said,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but if you call e.g. Bob Meucci then <span style='font-size: 20pt'>he will surely remember Chris's visit at his ranch</span>

</div></div>

This is just the umpteenth contradiction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Regarding production : we use a high tec production facility in China where we have set up the machinery which is needed to produce our spec.

Consider that even mr. John Paris (recognised as the best cues in the world, are produced in China :-) ... Predator is also producing in China ... who not ?

When I was in China I have seen cartons of cues with destination Jacksonville ;-)

Cheers,
Johan
</div></div>

So your cue is no differentt than the rest? ie, Mass produced in China? LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> we use a high tec production facility in China where we have set up the machinery</div></div>

Handmade?

Does Peter Ebdon use an acuerate cue? Simple question.

Q

acuerate
02-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Hi Q !

not Peter... he's addicted to his maple 10 mm machine spliced cue ... Peter is very conservative ... But soon we might Have Shaun Murphy using his Acuerate cue ... He loves the cue and his old cue is in a delicate situation.
Don't forget that a lot of pro's are sponsored to use a specific cue. We don't do this. If a players uses an Acuerate, it's because they understand and EXPERIENCED the benefits.

As already explained : the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Regarding ability of players of different billiard disciplines : it's a delicate issue. I think that technically snooker pro's have a higher standard as the game requires an extreme high level of accuracy. You will not see a snooker pro move an inch during a shot.

When it comes to tactics and safety : each discipline has it's specific 'know how' which you can only learn by playing and learning from better players I guess.

I might start playing pool just to see how good I can perform compared with my past level of snooker.

Ciao,

Johan

Qtec
02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acuerate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Consider that even mr. John Paris (recognised as the best cues in the world, are produced in China :-) ...

Cheers,
Johan
</div></div>

link (https://www.parriscues.com/home.html)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All our cues are 100% made in our London workshop, from raw materials selected personally by John Parris.
We have no association with any other cue manufacturer. </div></div>

https://www.parriscues.com/gallerypics/wk3.jpeg

Q..........?

Qtec
02-11-2010, 08:51 AM
For someone who has been involved in the development of this cue you seem to know very little about it. The cue has been on the market for about 2 years so the details of construction are available to anyone who wants to take one apart. Still you dodge my simple Q's acting like its one big secret and 'the proof is in the eating' nonsense. [ I haven't denied that it is a low squirt cue.]
You said 'ask me anything' and I have but you keep dodging and replying to Q's that I never asked.
eg "Regarding ability of players of different billiard disciplines : it's a delicate issue."

You made a statement that contradicts the info on the websites of both Parris Cues and Meucci! You have still to back up your claims with anything like proof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that technically snooker pro's have a higher standard as the game requires an extreme high level of accuracy. </div></div>

Now you are opening another can of worms. How about this guy's skill level? Could you see Steve Davis doing this?

amazing (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/109586/trick_shots_by_semih_sayginer_turkish_billiard_sen sation/)

Watch the shot at 1.40 secs. If I had not seen this with my own eyes I would not have believed it possible. Now I am open to everything.

Are you?

What about the shot at 2.10 secs?

Q

acuerate
02-16-2010, 02:19 AM
If mr. Meucci or Predator is interested in a certified test on their robots then we are ready to go out there and see who has the lowest deflection cue on the market.
But it's not gone happen as this will undermine their claims.

We are ready to any challenge from any producer. But I don't think the opposite can be said.

Mr. Paris is making very nice cues but he could not resist to copy the Acuerate cue used by Stephen Hendry and offer it to him.

May be he should give some comment on this.

Take care,

Johan

Boyakasha
03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"Mr. Paris is making very nice cues but he could not resist to copy the Acuerate cue used by Stephen Hendry and offer it to him. "</span>

That is a serious accusation!
Do you have any proof of that? And surely, since you say that your technology is patented, you must be able to take legal action if this really happened...
If it were to be true, then why have we not heard anything about it in the press?? You can say whatever you want on this page, but who says that it's all true?
When reading your posts, it seems that some of your comments are opposing eachother. So how credible are you...? Are you really with Acuerate? or are you simply making them look like idiots here?
Any serious company wouldn't start making wild accusations on internet pages. That's my opinion...