PDA

View Full Version : Eat your heart out, Rick Barry

wolfdancer
02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I spent the entire weekend watching basketball...Fri was team practice, they played a game on Sat, and Sun. was a free throw shooting contest.
Rick Barry had a career .900 FT avg...but the finals of the 6 yr old event would have humbled him. The top two kids hit 11 of 15, then went to a best of 5 playoff....both scoring 5 straight. A second, best of five, playoff ensued, with the winner scoring another perfect 5, and the other kid 3, with one ball spinning off of the rim. I'd have given them both a trophy after the first playoff. The foul lines were moved up, and the net was at the 8 ft level...but still, pretty impressive for 6 yr olds.
Saturdays game between 8 yr olds did not go well for "our" team, the one with my friend's son. The other team did well with running overhand layups, and our ball handler predictably took the ball up the right side of the court, where he would get trapped, by 3 players, even though they were playing man-to-man, by the rules.....his teammates didn't spread out to help. He telegraphed his lob passes, and they were easily intercepted, but this was the first year of organized ball for our little guys, and the other team had played together for 3 years.
I found a nice portable hoop at Hayneedle.com for $156, and we are going to build a small court for "Larry Bird Jr."
He is pretty coordinated for his age, and looks like he will be as tall, or taller, then his 6'6" Dad.

Gayle in MD
02-03-2010, 02:51 AM
I spent my weekend doing exactly what I'm doing tonight. All flood lights on and shining into the woods, watching a beautiful snowfall, listening to music. My woods looked like a winter wonderland.

Snowed all night Friday and on Saturday, till early afternoon.

More snow expected next weekend.

I love it. Haven't had as many snowfalls in one year, for decades. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
02-03-2010, 04:24 AM
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep...."
I spent the night at my friends house...they have 5 acres, the house is on a hill and the picture window frames the nearby stream.
Occasionally we see deer, and they have seen Elk on the property. I gave them a nice night vision scope....neat gadget.
It's relaxing for me as... while my house is comfortable, it's in one of those "developments"....and the houses are closer then I care for.
the kids always want me to stay over....but I bribe them with muffins, pies, etc.

LWW
02-03-2010, 05:18 AM
I am so glad you found a place to relax brother wolf.

LWW

eg8r
02-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Wow that was some impressive shooting from the 6 yr olds.

eg8r

Deeman3
02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I remember Rick and his underhanded shot from the foul line. He was a pretty good shooter from the field as well. I also think he had a vertical leap of about 10 inches!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hondo
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember Rick and his underhanded shot from the foul line. He was a pretty good shooter from the field as well. I also think he had a vertical leap of about 10 inches!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Plus, he was one of the great passing forwards. He made all of his team-mates better.

wolfdancer
02-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Dee, in Rick's NBA rookie season, he drove the lanes and lit up the scoreboards...and made the cover of Life, or Look Mag.
Then they...the other teams ...hit upon the idea of stepping on his feet, even away from the ball, to slow him down. He had an unstoppable jump shot though, and as soon as he got some separation from the guy guarding him, it was "lites out"
I remember him shooting with a high percentage from the 30-40 ft range.....and most of his shots were from, what is now the 3 point range. When Wilkes joined the team...Rick also showed his passing skills...
One of the NBA's all time "pure" shooters.

wolfdancer
02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Hondo, I mentioned his passing skills to Dee, before I read your post. He often gave up his shot, if the other guy was open.

wolfdancer
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Dee, I found a decent hoop, backboard, and supporting stand for a buck,forty, and the rim height is adjustable. Now we are going to build a 20 x 20 court ...and not sure how to go about that. I have worked some with concrete, but I'm thinking along the lines of making some 8 x 8 wood sections that we can assemble, and take down easily as the weather changes.
Got any ideas?
Re: Rick....he may not have had much air time when he jumped, but he pulled up and shot before the other guy could react...
I remember (?) David Thompson, had a vertical leap of 48 inches...that's almost 4 ft....
The original slow white guy, with no hang time....was Ernie (no)Digregorio....who needs defense, when you can score from anywhere?
Rick and Larry Bird...had quick hands...and while they weren't the best defenders...they usually got a couple of steals per game.

hondo
02-07-2010, 10:34 AM
LOL! Comparing ANYBODY to David Thompson is unfair.

Rick Barry could leap in his early days.