PDA

View Full Version : Haiti

wolfdancer
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Pat Robertson attributes the earthquake there, to Haiti's "pact with the devil"

Unfortunately, like the two of "God's messengers" here....Pat writes fantasy as facts:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, you know, Napoleon III and whatever, and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,' and … the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other. </div></div>
BUT, Pat done got a few things wrong...just like our two dickweeds here.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One detail we need to clear up right away. Haiti's bargain with the devil was supposedly struck in 1791. Napoleon III wasn't elected ruler of France until 1848, and Napoleon I didn't become big cheese until 1799. The French entity whose collective heel the Haitians were under in 1791 was the Constituent Assembly. We'll assume Satan didn't screw this up and the fault lies with poor note taking on the part of Pat Robertson, who presumably still gets nervous when dealing with infernal forces. You'd think he'd be used to it by now.

Be that as it may, Robertson got a few bits of the story right. The "pact with the Devil" in Haiti refers to the ceremony of Bois Caïman, which took place in August, 1791. This event is credited with launching the Haitian revolution that brought independence and freed the slaves in that country. Too bad they had to go to Satan for this favor, eh? The higher power holding the franchise in the U.S. let slavery persist for another seventy years.

The story goes that a houngan (voodoo priest) named Dutty Boukman held a meeting of black slaves and runaways at Bois Caïman in the mountains of the north to prepare to rise up against their oppressors. With the aid of an African-born priestess, they conducted a religious ceremony in which the group swore on the blood of a sacrificial pig, invoking the spirits of the forest and their ancestors, that they would live free or die. According to tradition, this was the catalyst for the Haitian revolution. Though Boukman was captured and beheaded, the revolt continued, and after much strife Haiti became an independent republic in 1804.

Although the Bois Caïman ceremony is well known in Haiti, separating fact from legend is difficult. The first historical account wasn't published until 1814. I've seen a claim that the ceremony didn't happen at all, while others contend there were two meetings in August 1791, with the voodoo ritual occurring at one while the revolt was planned at the other.

Legend has it that Boukman offered a prayer at Bois Caïman in which he drew a distinction between the wicked god of the whites and the benevolent god of the blacks. Whether the prayer was actually uttered is debatable; nonetheless, it can be taken as a fair indication of the rebels' sentiments, namely, that they were aligning themselves with the forces of good. Clearly the idea they were bargaining with Satan was an interpretation by Christians, who figured our god is righteous, everybody else's god is evil. In short, the "pact with the devil" is bigoted nonsense.

In his CBN broadcast Pat Robertson used the "devil pact" to explain why Haiti is in worse shape environmentally and economically than its neighbor, the Dominican Republic:

That island of Hispaniola is one island. It's cut down the middle. On the one side is Haiti; on the other is the Dominican Republic. Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. Haiti is in desperate poverty. Same island. They need to have and we need to pray for them a great turning to God and out of this tragedy I'm optimistic something good may come.

The histories of Haiti and the Dominican Republic are complicated and beyond the scope of this report. I refer you to Jared Diamond's book Collapse (2005), chapter 11: "One Island, Two Peoples, Two Histories: The Dominican Republic and Haiti." Some points made by Diamond: The Spanish settled on the naturally greener (rainier) side of the island, with higher mountains and rivers flowing in their direction. The French took the drier side, but despite the fragile environment exploited the hell out of the land and its people for as long as possible. France imported enormous numbers of slaves, giving Haiti a much larger and blacker population than the Dominican Republic, so later European investors preferred the DR over Haiti.

The Dominican Republic developed multiple cash crops and also focused on industrial development. While the DR had its share of tyrants, at least a couple of them fortunately were tree huggers. The two countries thus took different paths. While the DR remains quite poor, it's in better shape than Haiti.

Haiti has endured extraordinarily tough times since independence, including 32 coups and many brutal dictators, a cruel post-colonial racial caste system with inequitable distribution of wealth and resources, desperate poverty, environmental ruin, health problems, lack of infrastructure, and continued political instability. In recent times many of the blows to Haiti were dealt by "Papa Doc" Duvalier, succeeded by his only slightly less despicable son. The downward spiral continued, with Haiti's poor having no choice but to rely on charcoal from wood for fuel, decimating the remaining forests. And now this earthquake.

Let's say you believe in the Devil; is there evidence he's to blame? Forgive me for dignifying this with a response, but you asked. According to some versions of the legend of Bois Caïman, the pact with Satan was supposed to last for 200 years. Personally I think this was another lurid invention by outsiders, but even if you buy it, the pact should have expired in 1991, making the current disaster a late hit.

The scientific explanation for the earthquake in Haiti is that the Caribbean and North American tectonic plates have been grinding against each other under Hispaniola and Jamaica for eons. The stress builds up over time, causing earthquakes big and small. An earlier, magnitude 7.5 earthquake along the same fault line leveled Port-au-Prince in 1770, two decades before the supposed "pact with the Devil" at Bois Caïman.

Still, as David Brooks notes in a recent New York Times column, "This is not a natural disaster story. This is a poverty story." An earthquake of comparable intensity in northern California in 1989 killed 63 people, compared to more than 150,000 in Haiti. Much of the difference is due to flimsy construction and a general lack of preparedness on Haiti's part. Brooks cites Lawrence E. Harrison's 2006 book The Central Liberal Truth, which attributes Haiti's problems to among other things "the voodoo religion, which spreads the message that life is capricious and planning futile."

What voodoo has to do with liberal truth I don't know. However, if the claim is that superstition and ignorance impede progress, you won't get an argument from me. Haiti possibly is one example. Pat Robertson is another.

—SDSTAFF JillGat </div></div>

LWW
02-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Where's your scorn for Danny Glover who said God did it to punish us for not passing the Copenhagen Accords?

LWW

Gayle in MD
02-04-2010, 03:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pat Robertson attributes the earthquake there, to Haiti's "pact with the devil"

Unfortunately, like the two of "God's messengers" here....Pat writes fantasy as facts:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, you know, Napoleon III and whatever, and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.' True story. And so the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal,' and … the Haitians revolted and got themselves free. But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other. </div></div>
BUT, Pat done got a few things wrong...just like our two dickweeds here.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One detail we need to clear up right away. Haiti's bargain with the devil was supposedly struck in 1791. Napoleon III wasn't elected ruler of France until 1848, and Napoleon I didn't become big cheese until 1799. The French entity whose collective heel the Haitians were under in 1791 was the Constituent Assembly. We'll assume Satan didn't screw this up and the fault lies with poor note taking on the part of Pat Robertson, who presumably still gets nervous when dealing with infernal forces. You'd think he'd be used to it by now.

Be that as it may, Robertson got a few bits of the story right. The "pact with the Devil" in Haiti refers to the ceremony of Bois Caïman, which took place in August, 1791. This event is credited with launching the Haitian revolution that brought independence and freed the slaves in that country. Too bad they had to go to Satan for this favor, eh? The higher power holding the franchise in the U.S. let slavery persist for another seventy years.

The story goes that a houngan (voodoo priest) named Dutty Boukman held a meeting of black slaves and runaways at Bois Caïman in the mountains of the north to prepare to rise up against their oppressors. With the aid of an African-born priestess, they conducted a religious ceremony in which the group swore on the blood of a sacrificial pig, invoking the spirits of the forest and their ancestors, that they would live free or die. According to tradition, this was the catalyst for the Haitian revolution. Though Boukman was captured and beheaded, the revolt continued, and after much strife Haiti became an independent republic in 1804.

Although the Bois Caïman ceremony is well known in Haiti, separating fact from legend is difficult. The first historical account wasn't published until 1814. I've seen a claim that the ceremony didn't happen at all, while others contend there were two meetings in August 1791, with the voodoo ritual occurring at one while the revolt was planned at the other.

Legend has it that Boukman offered a prayer at Bois Caïman in which he drew a distinction between the wicked god of the whites and the benevolent god of the blacks. Whether the prayer was actually uttered is debatable; nonetheless, it can be taken as a fair indication of the rebels' sentiments, namely, that they were aligning themselves with the forces of good. Clearly the idea they were bargaining with Satan was an interpretation by Christians, who figured our god is righteous, everybody else's god is evil. In short, the "pact with the devil" is bigoted nonsense.

In his CBN broadcast Pat Robertson used the "devil pact" to explain why Haiti is in worse shape environmentally and economically than its neighbor, the Dominican Republic:

That island of Hispaniola is one island. It's cut down the middle. On the one side is Haiti; on the other is the Dominican Republic. Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. Haiti is in desperate poverty. Same island. They need to have and we need to pray for them a great turning to God and out of this tragedy I'm optimistic something good may come.

The histories of Haiti and the Dominican Republic are complicated and beyond the scope of this report. I refer you to Jared Diamond's book Collapse (2005), chapter 11: "One Island, Two Peoples, Two Histories: The Dominican Republic and Haiti." Some points made by Diamond: The Spanish settled on the naturally greener (rainier) side of the island, with higher mountains and rivers flowing in their direction. The French took the drier side, but despite the fragile environment exploited the hell out of the land and its people for as long as possible. France imported enormous numbers of slaves, giving Haiti a much larger and blacker population than the Dominican Republic, so later European investors preferred the DR over Haiti.

The Dominican Republic developed multiple cash crops and also focused on industrial development. While the DR had its share of tyrants, at least a couple of them fortunately were tree huggers. The two countries thus took different paths. While the DR remains quite poor, it's in better shape than Haiti.

Haiti has endured extraordinarily tough times since independence, including 32 coups and many brutal dictators, a cruel post-colonial racial caste system with inequitable distribution of wealth and resources, desperate poverty, environmental ruin, health problems, lack of infrastructure, and continued political instability. In recent times many of the blows to Haiti were dealt by "Papa Doc" Duvalier, succeeded by his only slightly less despicable son. The downward spiral continued, with Haiti's poor having no choice but to rely on charcoal from wood for fuel, decimating the remaining forests. And now this earthquake.

Let's say you believe in the Devil; is there evidence he's to blame? Forgive me for dignifying this with a response, but you asked. According to some versions of the legend of Bois Caïman, the pact with Satan was supposed to last for 200 years. Personally I think this was another lurid invention by outsiders, but even if you buy it, the pact should have expired in 1991, making the current disaster a late hit.

The scientific explanation for the earthquake in Haiti is that the Caribbean and North American tectonic plates have been grinding against each other under Hispaniola and Jamaica for eons. The stress builds up over time, causing earthquakes big and small. An earlier, magnitude 7.5 earthquake along the same fault line leveled Port-au-Prince in 1770, two decades before the supposed "pact with the Devil" at Bois Caïman.

Still, as David Brooks notes in a recent New York Times column, "This is not a natural disaster story. This is a poverty story." An earthquake of comparable intensity in northern California in 1989 killed 63 people, compared to more than 150,000 in Haiti. Much of the difference is due to flimsy construction and a general lack of preparedness on Haiti's part. Brooks cites Lawrence E. Harrison's 2006 book The Central Liberal Truth, which attributes Haiti's problems to among other things "the voodoo religion, which spreads the message that life is capricious and planning futile."

What voodoo has to do with liberal truth I don't know. However, if the claim is that superstition and ignorance impede progress, you won't get an argument from me. Haiti possibly is one example. Pat Robertson is another.

—SDSTAFF JillGat </div></div> </div></div>

Wolf,
I see there is a post under your post from the Troll.

I'm quite sure, it probably has nothing at all to do with your post. One does not have to read his posts, at all, to know what they are about, irrelevant BS, BS, and more irrelevent BS.

I can always tell how full of bull his posts are, according to how my intelligent friends from the left, respond to his nonsense.

BTW, he's been whining and crying to the moderator today, so let's hope he's up on his meds. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Love,
Gayle

sack316
02-04-2010, 07:44 PM
What really strikes me as funny about those comments is that if you research it, Haiti actually has a far higher percentage of Christian population (mostly Catholic) than we do. If Robertson's line of thinking were correct, I'd think we'd have crumbled before them.

Sack-- Is gonna try to stick with Lot... just in case /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

pooltchr
02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Larry,

I see there is a post under your post from the Grandma Troll.

I'm quite sure, it probably has nothing at all to do with your post. One does not have to read her posts, at all, to know what they are about, irrelevant BS, BS, and more irrelevent BS.

I can always tell how full of bull her posts are, according to how my intelligent friends from the right, respond to her nonsense.

Steve

hondo
02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Sack, many missionaries, especially Catholic, have been in Haiti for years.

Thus, there is this odd mix of Catholicism and voudon.

sack316
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sack, many missionaries, especially Catholic, have been in Haiti for years.

Thus, there is this odd mix of Catholicism and voudon. </div></div>

Actually dates back to European colonization.

At any rate, roughly 85% of the population claims a Christian belief. By the numbers, they are "more Christian" than even ourselves (though, granted in a lot of Rural areas they practice a Syncretist type of vodou in addition to a Christian faith).

But my point is, that if Robertson's idiotic theory were to hold any weight... we'd be likely to be struck down before they would (statistically speaking at least).

Sack

hondo
02-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Robertson is a hate-moger and I don't think that ole boy is wrapped too tight.

sack316
02-05-2010, 12:07 AM
nor do I Hondo.

I don't know what Christianity he's thinking of... but in mine you have some empathy and love for your fellow man, especially in their worst of times.

And if you're wanting to spread the good word, you do so through love, not blame games and wild theories. Is someone more apt to receive your message if you kick them when they are down, or help them when they are down? My smart money is on the latter. I would think someone in his position would understand that.

Sack

LWW
02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Amazingly, the neolibs yet again refuse to denounce the wickedness of Danny Glover.

LWW

Stretch
02-05-2010, 09:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazingly, the neolibs yet again refuse to denounce the wickedness of Danny Glover.

LWW </div></div>

LMFAO this comeing from a man who proudly displays in huge graphic pictorial the worst perpitrators of crimes against humanity the world has ever endured. And you care about what one 'B'list actor says?......."Whispers" psssst Lary, quick hide, there's guys with white coats comeing down your driveway. St.

LWW
02-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Very observant brother stretch.

I display them as a warning. They were all mass oppressors of the people, and all enemies of the United States and of freedom.

It was the US which kept their evil schemes in check, but now the most recent incarnation of pure deception has arose from within our great republic.

He is determined to change America into what his predecessors had only dreamed of doing, and he has several members here ... perhaps even yourself ... under his spell.

LWW

llotter
02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I thank you for posting that article. As a casual fan of Pat Robertson, I assumed that his statement was rooted in some facts that were overlooked by the MSM.

Voodoo apparently has a destructive influence that has contributed to massive poverty and I do know that the devil works in mysterious ways to carry out his evil deeds.

llotter
02-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I did the same sort of research in the CIA Factbook and it agree with your comment, however, religious beliefs can be undermined by competing beliefs. One need look no further than liberal ideological influence on Christians here who support abortion rights in spite of unequivocal opposition of their religion and we are crumbling.

wolfdancer
02-05-2010, 01:55 PM
The thread was about Pat Robertson, and his comments re: Haiti.
lww is free to begin his own thread re: Danny Glover...whoever that is? A golden gloves award, baseball player maybe?
When I posted the article, I didn't bother to check the entire roster of celebrities to see if they had made some comments about Haiti...I got as far as the "B"'s ...Susan Boyle, and decided that my time could be better spent fixing myself the perfect martini, shaken, not stirred...
I have to reluctantly give lww some credit...when he is stumped and can't come up with one of his wiseass,insulting posts, while staying on topic.....he has mastered the "misdirection" reply, changing the topic to something that vaguely resembles the original posters topic...and then he tries to impugn the other guy about that.
Note to lww: if you can't stay on point....then begin your own thread...and if you and yer new buddy llotter have time this weekend...have somebody read "Robertson's Rules of Order" to you

hondo
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thank you for posting that article. As a casual fan of Pat Robertson, I assumed that his statement was rooted in some facts that were overlooked by the MSM.

Voodoo apparently has a destructive influence that has contributed to massive poverty and I do know that the devil works in mysterious ways to carry out his evil deeds. </div></div>

You mean like convincing yourself that murder is doing God's work? And calling the POTUS "the Moron"?

I have no doubt you have been redflagged by Secret Service.

hondo
02-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Danny Glover is a black actor. Did some movies with Mel Gibson.

I have no idea what he did that was worse than Robertson.

wolfdancer
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I knew who he was...and think he was born in, and still lives in SF?
He had no connection to a post about Pat Robertson...and it was stupid of the special one to even mention his name.

llotter
02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I try to keep my posts thoughtful and on the subject, why do you insist on showing yourself a fool over and over?

sack316
02-06-2010, 04:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did the same sort of research in the CIA Factbook and it agree with your comment, however, religious beliefs can be undermined by competing beliefs. One need look no further than liberal ideological influence on Christians here who support abortion rights in spite of unequivocal opposition of their religion and we are crumbling. </div></div>

Yes, we are crumbling. I think I can speak on behalf of the "worst". Out of work for nearly a year, what work I have found is only part time ( I average less than 8 hours a week). Outside of that I do whatever side work I can find, yet mostly scape by via some fancy bookwork with student loans and financial aid for school (my credit is shot, so do what I gotta do)...

so bottom line, no real gov't assistance, basically just putting off my own expenses as long as I'm in school and can get grants/scholarships... but in the end, I'm about as bottom of the barrel as you can get...

yet here I am... with my cell phone, big screen plasma TV, high speed internet, a car that runs, and a solid roof over my head with a little food in the cabinets. I'd hate to see what I could do if I actually used the system a little bit...

Thank you for agreeing with my comments, but what we consider "crumbling" would be a welcome luxury for many. I've been as close to the bottom as anyone here can ever even pretend to have been... and I'm here to tell ya, it ain't "that bad". By our standards, yeah it sucks... but our standards are pretty darn high.

My friend, I sit on the right side of the fence on most any issue. Anyone here will tell you that. But a woman's right to choose, and a homosexual's right to their lifestyle, will NOT a society bring down. Intolerance, and a lack of understanding and acceptance, just might, though...

Sack

wolfdancer
02-06-2010, 11:16 AM
When they elect you Pope, then you can dictate dogma to Catholics...in the meantime you can continue trying to blow white smoke up everybody's ***as you place yourself as chief moralist, and without sin...a modern Sir Lancelot
In the meantime...regarding this crumbling of America.....do you assign equal blame to liberals, Blacks, Jews, Gays, Women, Dwarfs, etc....or have you worked out some apportionment.....???
I think your version of Utopia crumbled in 1945, with the surrender of Nazi Germany....and doubt that you will see a fourth Reich in your lifetime....BUT...if you move to Cour D'Alene, Idaho,
you will be surrounded by like minded folks....Achtung !!!
Re: the nation's economic woes which our beloved, endeared and well respected President inherited....that's just how the cookie crumbles...
Did you know he has "coloured" blood in him? Bet you never thought that would happen in your lifetime...

hondo
02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I try to keep my posts thoughtful and on the subject, why do you insist on showing yourself a fool over and over? </div></div>

I post like I do to you because I can't stand you.

You idolize murderers.
Call the POTUS a "Moron."
All your pseudo-Christian posturing when you're all
about hate.

Clear enough.

LWW
02-07-2010, 10:08 AM
If you have been offended or feel wronged brother hondo, why can't you try an approach which involves forgiveness?

LWW

wolfdancer
02-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I "second that emotion"
llotter hates more groups of people then I can recite from memory.
He feels that he, or should I use "He"?....is morally superior to these people...because???... HE is without sin???, and ....God has appointed him to judge others????
"Where in the world, is there in the world, a man so extraordinaire"?

LWW
02-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Calm down.

LWW

llotter
02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes, it is clear that you are as I thought, a fool. I'm sure you are happy with yourself as fools always are.

llotter
02-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Ya know, I am actually beginning to enjoy being the target of your wraith. I hope it is as good for you as it is for me. Keep it up.

wolfdancer
02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
wraith?
Do you think I am an apparition?
I post without the hate so apparent in your posts, and make no claim of being "holier then thou" as you do.
I think you would find a lot more support for your nihilistic view points, over at azb....

hondo
02-07-2010, 09:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, it is clear that you are as I thought, a fool. I'm sure you are happy with yourself as fools always are. </div></div>

Thank you, Lotter. So I'm a fool because I consider you
a low life, huh?

Guess what? Low life's opinions of me don't count for much.

hondo
02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya know, I am actually beginning to enjoy being the target of your wraith. I hope it is as good for you as it is for me. Keep it up. </div></div>

Works for me. The only poster who doesn't consider you a low life is the poster who is constantly blaspheming the Lord.

Does that give you any clue?

BTW, did you ever read The Grapes of Wraith? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Gayle in MD
02-07-2010, 09:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did the same sort of research in the CIA Factbook and it agree with your comment, however, religious beliefs can be undermined by competing beliefs.

<span style="color: #000066">Competing beliefs???? So you oppose competing beliefs? I take it that means that you think you can dictate what others are allowed to believe? WTF????</span>

One need look no further than liberal ideological influence on Christians here who support abortion rights in spite of unequivocal opposition of their religion and we are crumbling. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">"Their" religion? WTF does that mean? Do you think all liberals are of the same religion?

Hey, why not just get it through your thick skull,.... Women are NEVER going to go back to the times when MEN dictated to them, what they could or couldn't do with their own bodies, so lump it, and mind your own damned business.

</span>

<span style="color: #000066">For the love of Pete, get some help from a professional.

They are NOT abortion rights, they are WOMEN's Rights, and it is NONE of YOUR business what others do or do not do in their private, personal decisions.

As you judge and condemn all others who are of different points of view, different ethnic and sexual groups, and of their own subjective version of what is godly, and what is the appropriate way to live, you prove you have no concept of anything that Jesus said. There is NOTHING CHRISTIAN about you, and NOTHING CHRISTIAN about your little RW group of radical religious nuts who preach and attack with the same twisted, self proclaimed notion of Christianity.

</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

wolfdancer
02-08-2010, 02:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Voodoo apparently has a destructive influence that has contributed to massive poverty and I do know that the devil works in mysterious ways to carry out his evil deeds. </div></div>
I have some similar thoughts re: you.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In reality, if you were to meet the devil, you would find him attractive, engaging and persuasive. Though he is really the prince of darkness, Satan successfully presents himself as "an angel of light" (2 Corinthians 11:14).

Satan is a master of misrepresentation. He is the world's greatest advertiser, packaging his product so it seems attractive and appealing while in reality it is deathly poisonous. He wants his clients to see him as good, beneficent and trustworthy. He wants his product —sin and rejection of God—to appear enticing and inviting, and he is usually quite successful.
</div></div>
There are two others here, claiming to be the "Angels of light", but they are both clowns, twits, and their religious parody is easily dismissed.
You however, should be taken seriously, with your " I'm a paragon of virtue, and God has given me the power to judge others" beliefs?...I believe with your admiration and approval of a cowardly murderer....you might have a screw loose....
Your posts read... borderline psychotic....to me. I would not be surprised to hear about you committing some senseless act of violence, believing you were acting as God's warrior...or maybe you already have?????
I am surprised though, that with your hatreds of Catholics, and the teachings of the Catholic Church, you weren't able to use Voodoo as another excuse to vent your rage at them.
But... as I doubt you are well versed...you probably weren't aware that Voodoo was often practiced, disguised as Catholic rituals:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They would practice Catholicism in front of them, and when their backs were turned, continue to perform Voodoo rituals and services. Slowly the slaves began to infiltrate their Voodoo beliefs and rituals into the Catholic services held in church. This was done by while publicly praying for the Catholic saints, they would be secretly honoring their own spirits and God. Now the plantation owners would even permit the slaves to light candles and 'Pray' openly.
Catholic beliefs and worship now became integrated into Voodoo, and for many this only served to enrich this new religion. Voodoo had come of age! </div></div>

hondo
02-08-2010, 06:03 AM
I think I'll start a thread on this.

LWW
02-08-2010, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In reality, if you were to meet the devil, you would find him attractive, engaging and persuasive.</div></div>

That eliminates you and your puppetmaster from Antichrist suspicions.

LWW

hondo
02-08-2010, 06:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In reality, if you were to meet the devil, you would find him attractive, engaging and persuasive.</div></div>

That eliminates you and your puppetmaster from Antichrist suspicions.

LWW </div></div>

Quote LWW: "It is not our jobs to pass judgement on others."

See, Larry, this is why your so-called spiritual posts
are so hateful.
Why do you choose to portray Christian values in this way?

pooltchr
02-08-2010, 09:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
They are NOT abortion rights, they are WOMEN's Rights, </div></div>

And which rights exactly would that be? The right of a woman to kill her unborn child???????????

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Steve

LWW
02-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I did not "PASS JUDGEMENT" on anyone ... perhaps you might research the word's definition.

I have neither assigned guilt nor assessed punishment ... I have merely agreed that Satan is a deceiver and that brother wolf and sister Gayle are not Antichrist material. Do you disagree?

The head of the cult to which they belong, however, has all the named traits that Satan possesses.

I'm not claiming he is, but he meets many Biblical qualifiers.

LWW