PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Glue For Tip Install?

Sid_Vicious
02-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Has anyone used Gorilla Glue to do a tip install? What success? Any install tips with GG? sid

Rich R.
02-07-2010, 09:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used Gorilla Glue to do a tip install? What success? Any install tips with GG? sid </div></div>

I haven't used Gorilla Glue for a tip install and I wouldn't recommend it. GG tends to expand as it cures and I believe it would be very difficult keep the tip straight.
If you do decide to try GG, be sure to dampen either the back of the tip or the tip of the ferrule. GG requires moisture to cure properly.

cushioncrawler
02-08-2010, 04:53 AM
I know one guy who asked a team mate to get a tube of tarzan's grip, "the stuff that sticks".
But the team mate asked the salesperson for a grip of tarzan's tube, "u know, the stick that stuffs".
madMac.

Sid_Vicious
02-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks. I found mixed reviews when I Google for the same question. Seems GG has been a success with some, then there's the mix of problems for others. I may still "test" a tip with GG for fun...it's just a Triangle and my time. I like the Super Gel for tips, but at the rate I install a personal tip, my Gel usually is in question about out of date. I just happen to have the GGlue and a need for a tip install as a gift to a friend. sid

wolfdancer
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Sid, I did tip repairs for a couple of years and bought every glue known to mankind. In the super glue gels...I used to buy a certain brand from an industrial site, that wasn't available at a hardware store. For wood and leather, super glue worked fine....on many of the thermoset plastics, it didn't adhere well.
I just checked and I'd try this stuff out
Glue (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/1274621.html?page=2)
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although there isn't a single adhesive that does everything, polyurethane glue comes pretty close. It bonds wood, many types of plastic... </div></div>
AND, as I now remember...in the last few months of doing repairs, I was using the 3M products.
We have a really good cue guy up here, and I'll be seeing him shortly as he is next in line to read a pool book that I have.
I'll beat it out of him, what adhesive he is using....

PoolFool
02-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I have used the regular gorilla glue for several years. I like it because it gives me time to position the tip. Super Glue works to fast for an old man like me. If you use a small amount, it will not swell up enough to be a problem. I glued a piece of leather to a pvc pipe and tried to remove it with vice grips. All I did was tear the leather. If you are in a real hurry, use the new gorilla super glue. It gives you about 20 seconds to position the tip.

PoolFool

bataisbest
02-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I would not use it to install a tip. It expands and foams as it cures- not an ideal situation around the ferrule because you need to cut away the excess with a knife or sharp blade. I use it in the garage on projects where I want a super strong bond and it does the job.It is a great product, but I think it is a bit too messy for a tip install.

Sid_Vicious
02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Carl...I have really noticed the lengthier time to assemble parts with GG. In fact, it was worrisome when I first noticed it on a non pool related bond. I gave up thinking the glue was defective, but later on, it set rock hard. I'm highly likely to try the GG once on this tip as a trial. I really do need to get some super gel in-house though. I trust it without doubts.

We gotta hook up and play a little some time Carl. Have you been to The Billiard Den in Richardson yet? sid

PoolFool
02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
If you put a thin coat of GG on the tip it won't have an overflow problem. I have to take the tip down to 12.5 anyway so a little doesn't bother me. I play every Sat at Stearlings in Dallas. Frankfort & Midway. I use to play at the Billiard Den when I was in a league but no more. Jim Kincaid, Leigh Kettlehut, and whoever shows up play from about 1 - 5 every Sat. Come by sometime. 8 ball on 8ft tables. Free.

BillyJack
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm not a cuemaker, but have done probably 20 tips in the past year, both for my cues and most of my league buddies. I do 'em all without a lathe, and have used Gorilla Glue on almost every one. Other than one cheapo house cue with a slimy plastic ferrule I've never had a failure. I personally love the stuff, since it makes it easy to cut off the old tip, and sometimes I'll change a tip in a month or two if I don't like it. I used to let the old style GG dry overnight. Now I'm using the new white formula that is supposed to dry in 30-60 minutes and I'll let it cure for 3-4 hours minimum before trimming and shaping. I run a ring of automobile striping tape around the end of the ferrule to protect it from the inevitable squeeze-out, but expansion is minimal if you just use a complete but super thin layer of GG. Clamping is of utmost importance, so every tip I do gets a rubber band looped around the shaft and stretched over the tip. If someone's in a hurry I'll use the GG Super Glue or Loctite Pro, but white GG is definitely my product of choice.

Bill

1Time
03-03-2010, 01:09 AM
I've posted this in the past. I usually use super glue gel. Fast and works.

rtbbf
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Gorilla glue has a new one one the market...no expansion.....great for tips...

PoolFool
12-25-2010, 10:25 AM
That's all I ever use since a tip came off that I had installed with Duro super glue gel. I like the extra drying time so I can get the tip centered just right.

PoolFool

SpiderMan
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
This is an old post, so I wondered if you guys are still getting together on Saturdays.

SpiderMan

mazda
01-18-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the info.....