PDA

View Full Version : Where was ESPN?

wolfdancer
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I didn't even know the "America's Cup"race(s) was being contested. (2/15-2010)
Good news though....our billionaire, Larry Ellison, beat the Swiss billionaire,Ernesto Bertarelli, 2-0
While the figures aren't published, it is estimated that Larry's last challenge(2007) cost him $200 mil, and even with non-union labor?, USA-17 might have cost even more shekels then that?
"...this year's USA-17 was built with bleeding-edge technical features that helped it skim the ocean at speeds up to 40 knots (46 mph). It has an unusual three-hulled design, made from carbon fiber and topped with a towering 223-foot "wing sail," a rigid structure like an oversized airplane wing that is controlled by nine adjustable flaps".
I knew a lady once in the Bay Area, a Chef of some local fame, evidently? that Larry hired to cook for his weekend guests. He had "rented" an entire train to take them up to the Sierra mountains for a weekend of skiing.
(I once bought a bus ticket for my brother to go back home to NYS from California....)but I'm sure Larry spent a little more then I did.
I did get to see an America's Cup race in person,(1962) and also share a few beers with the Australian crew of the Gretal, that challenged that year. They won the beer drinking event, "we" won the cup.

sack316
02-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Woody Paige gave it some love at the end of Around the Horn yesterday. But besides that, yeah for some reason coverage of it is non-existent. Shame, seems like it used to be a pretty big deal.

Sack

Deeman3
02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Ever notice they don't come up with an austentatious disply of boat tax anywhere? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I guess the olympics has overshadowed a lot this year. I don't even remember much about Marti Gras until today!

sack316
02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't even remember much about Marti Gras until today! </div></div>

If you ever do remember much about mardi gras, then you didn't do it right! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

wolfdancer
02-17-2010, 07:34 PM
It used to be very "big" but never televised, as I recall.
I went to the one in 1962...the USA's "Weatherly" against the down under's "Gretel".
We were used to winning 4-0, but them dang Aussies managed to win the first race, before reverting back to form. I think it was the lower percentage of alcohol in the American beers, compared to Australian beer, what did them in.....destroying their nightly training regimen. I did my part to help them...and sprang for a few rounds.
Then, almost did myself in, trying to get back to the "mother ship" drunk,on our 14 ft sailing dingy...in force 6 winds., with the small craft warnings, in effect. The CG saved my butt at the time. (good thing Steve was not part of the crew)...or I'd be "swimming with the fishes"
"Sir Francis Beaufort invented the wind force scale named after him."
" .....there was no standard scale and so they could be very subjective - one man's "stiff breeze" might be another's "soft breeze". Beaufort succeeded in standardizing the scale."
I think they should have an erectile scale along those lines, to differentiate between a soft "breeze" and a stiff one...
A "2" might indicate a dysfunction of some sort, while a "10" might indicate "all systems go"
Being there was a great experience....I saw Jackie O, and JFK, on the "Honey Fitz" as I recall...or maybe they were on the USS Joseph P. Kennedy, a Destroyer, named for his brother, a pilot,and true American hero, that lost his life in WWII. Joseph was the one that the family hoped would become prominent in politics.
I also got to drink with the JFK press corp...who respected and admired him.
And got to tour the "Elms" and the "Breakers"....decadent mansions of the rich and famous......