PDA

View Full Version : Obamaís 2011 Budget Proposal: How Itís Spent

S0Noma
02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Rectangles in the chart are sized according to the amount of spending for that category. Color shows the change in spending from 2010.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/01/us/budget.html?hp

wolfdancer
02-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Say, if we did away with social security, we could double our defense budget to the penny.
Medicare is another drain on the economy, that could be better put to use, almost tripling our defense budget....A large group of trained, dedicated American Patriots, could intermingle with everyday Americans, and be on the lookout for terrorists...
We could have a Blackwater agent on every city bus, subway, etc. They could double as school crossing guards,or be the armed marching bands at every collegiate football game.
That loud, obnoxious drunk at the end of the bar, could be a Blackwater agent on the lookout for some molotov cocktail throwing liberal.
Or we could afford to go hi tech instead......instead of us watching tv....tv could be watching us (Bob Hope line)

eg8r
02-16-2010, 01:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Say, if we did away with social security, we could double our defense budget to the penny.</div></div>Now you are talking. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Just think how upset Madoff must be knowing that he patterned his entire business after the way our Government handles SS and who gets tossed in jail? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

pooltchr
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
The problem with trying to fix SS is that the only option would be to phase it out. In order to do that, the would have to stop adding any new participants to the program, yet fund the payouts for the next 60 years or so until everyone who has paid into the program gets back what they have already paid into it. And since they have been robbing the SS funds for years, they don't have the money to do that.

The longer it goes, the worse it's going to get until eventually, it dies of under it's own weight.

Steve

wolfdancer
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't often agree with "pooltchr", and not quite sure what his point was, if any, in his reply on this thread....but,he did touch on one thing that is true...SS would not be in the troubles it is in today, if past admins. hadn't used it as an ATM, to withdraw funds from, for other projects, or to resolve deficits. Right now the only thing that can make it solvent...is "soylent green"

pooltchr
02-16-2010, 04:07 PM
To make it worse, as the boomers start collecting benefits, double diget unemployment means there is even less going into the account than there was even a year ago.

For years, congress has mismanaged this money, and the house of cards is starting to tumble around them.

Steve

eg8r
02-17-2010, 08:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SS would not be in the troubles it is in today, if past admins. hadn't used it as an ATM, to withdraw funds from, for other projects, or to resolve deficits. </div></div>Which is what Madoff was doing and he went to jail and past admins get away with it every time. I meant it as a joke though, not to derail this thread.

eg8r

pooltchr
02-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Interesting note on the budget. Obama came out this week saying he wants to start building more new nuclear plants, following up on his comment in the SOTU. Yet, the budget he submitted to congress has no funding for the Yucca Mountain storage facility. Where does he plan on storing the spent rods?

Steve

llotter
02-17-2010, 01:09 PM
That is an very nice chart, thanks for posting it. It is interesting that the greenest blocks are where the increases are the greatest and the opposite with the reddest. Such coloring is the opposite of what the colors traditionally indicate unless viewed in the perverse understanding of the Left.

I looked around for the budget figures for administering the Whitehouse but didn't see it.

wolfdancer
02-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Being newer here, then the rest of the "experts on everything" group....you may not be familiar with R,.... Sonoma.
He has made a few shekels starting internet companies,is both intelligent, and articulate, and unlike your little "ship of fools" group, let's his words speak for themselves, and doesn't need to make claims about how smart he is, Vs others here.
It's my own expert opinion....that you would be over matched, trying to put him down with your own, er...."panache" ( he stuck a feather in his hat and called it Macaroni)
Richard is also an avowed Atheist, so your religious schtick,hatred of Catholics, and claims about your own alleged pious righteousness...will go over with him like the fabled "fart in church"
I hope that the colors didn't confuse you that much....but apparently red and blue, are the only two you can readily identify with.

llotter
02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks again for that background and you are right about the words standing on their own.

Qtec
02-18-2010, 07:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><u>Say, if we did away with social security, we could double our defense budget to the penny.</u>
Medicare is another drain on the economy, that could be better put to use, almost tripling our defense budget....A large group of trained, dedicated American Patriots, could intermingle with everyday Americans, and be on the lookout for terrorists...
We could have a Blackwater agent on every city bus, subway, etc. They could double as school crossing guards,or be the armed marching bands at every collegiate football game.
That loud, obnoxious drunk at the end of the bar, could be a Blackwater agent on the lookout for some molotov cocktail throwing liberal.
Or we could afford to go hi tech instead......instead of us watching tv....tv could be watching us (Bob Hope line) </div></div>

LOL..Tap,Tap,Tap.

Q......nice one. LOL

Qtec
02-18-2010, 07:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with trying to fix SS is that the only option would be to phase it out.

Steve </div></div>

http://www.ohwy.com/history%20pictures/family.gif

http://www.ohwy.com/history%20pictures/hoboturtle.gif

http://www.ohwy.com/history%20pictures/relifline.gif

Bring back the soup kitchens. That's why I say. Make the lazy fokers work 12 hours a day for a bed and something to eat.

You know, there actually is a reason for the existence of SS.

Q

pooltchr
02-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Whether you believe there is a "need" for it or not doesn't change the fact that is is quickly going broke.

SS has been nothing more than a slush fund for big spending politicians for years. When it comes time to pay the piper, we're going to see fristhand just what an ill-conceived program it really is. Ok, maybe that's a little strong, let's say mismanaged. You can't put that kind of money in the hands of politicians and think it won't be misused.

Steve

wolfdancer
02-19-2010, 01:58 AM
So the program is ill conceived????, because the politicians have taken the "surplus" money out of the account to fund other projects/deficits?.
Rather then being ill-conceived....the program must have been based on sound actuarial tables, hence the surplus monies.
At least that's the way I see it
However, it wasn't designed to be a piggy bank for pork projects (that's a pun, a bad one, but still, a pun)
Insurance companies have been in financial trouble in recent years, not because their own actuarial tables were faulty....but they invest your premiums...and it turns out they ain't no smarter then your avg. "punter" (Q can explain that term)

llotter
02-19-2010, 06:52 AM
The program was ill conceived because it is not in the Constitution. Even before Pope Leo put words to the concept of subsidiarity, the Founders understood that limiting government is essential for freedom to exist. The Left seems to be for most anything as long as there is forced participation.

It is hard enough to plan your own life, it is impossible to plan others and that explains why top-down planning always botches things up.

Qtec
02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Exactly. I would imagine the Govt owes the SS a lot of money. Q

pooltchr
02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly. I would imagine the Govt owes the SS a lot of money. Q

</div></div>

The government owes a LOT of people a LOT of money. But they still try to tell us that a trillion dollar spending bill was what the economy needed. Wonder where that trillion came from? It was borrowed. We don't have it! But we keep spending like we do.

If our government were an individual or a business (not a business that is "too big to fail") they would be bankrupt!

Steve

wolfdancer
02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
So yer blaming the Catholic Church,...... again!!!
WE might all go to hell for not voting in the beatific Sarah, as you previously hinted....but even in your Bible, it says "judge not....."
AND, the founding fathers did not include SS into the Constitution,therefore you believe it to be illegal, immoral?
You probably never heard of Constitutional Amendments...I think they covered that in grade 11...lol.
Seems that even our forefathers, unlike a few posters here...knew they didn't know all the answers; therefore did not write the Constitution out on Gold Tablets, present the document as "good as gold", nor claim anything like "Papal infallibility"
Say, you should be "up in arms" over the recent Wa. State Supreme Court ruling on the 14th amendment, in ref to the 2cd amendment....
The Supreme Court has issued its opinion in the thorny case of State v. Sieyes,
17-year-old Christopher Sieyes was charged and convicted for unlawfully possessing a loaded .380 semiautomatic handgun
They decided that the 2cd amendment does not guarantee those rights to minors, while not ruling that it denys them that right. Personally I see nothing wrong with teens taking these types of weaponry to school for self protection, but these damn leftist courts, packed with elitists from Haaarvaard, and Princeton (but not Yale, since that's where GW went and joined the Skull & Bones folks) they just want to deprive us of our rights....

pooltchr
02-19-2010, 04:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AND, the founding fathers did not include SS into the Constitution,therefore you believe it to be illegal, immoral?
You probably never heard of Constitutional Amendments...I think they covered that in grade 11...lol.
</div></div>

Which constitutional ammendment covered Social Security?

Steve

wolfdancer
02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Don't be stupid....SS did not require a constitutional amendment to be enacted. Since llotter claimed it was not in the constitution, I went along with the farce.
You might want to read a little about SS, since you believe it to be so Marxist.....It isn't perfect....but without it....

SS (http://www.ssa.gov/history/briefhistory3.html)

pooltchr
02-19-2010, 09:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't be stupid....SS did not require a constitutional amendment to be enacted. </div></div>

You are the one that brought up the CA...I already knew there wasn't one, which is why I asked you where it was, knowing you couldn't provide anything to back up your post....but that is the norm with you.
You're really starting to lose it. I'm starting to wonder if liberalism might actually cause brain cell deterioration, or if it is the deterioration that leads to liberalism.

Steve

wolfdancer
02-20-2010, 12:39 AM
You have reminded me once again about a letter that I have been putting off writing to Howard Gardner. I'm just putting the finishing touches though on my research findings.
Mr. Gardner has suggested that there are 7 forms of intelligence, but I believe there is one more...."Bubba intelligence", would be my name for #8. It resembles the savant syndrome in that the members of this "gifted" group can't walk and chew gum at the same time, but seem to be proficient at some simple tasks, like tuning up a 418 engine, or bowling, or maybe even pool....

pooltchr
02-20-2010, 07:17 AM
You missed quite a bit there. We can hunt quail, make grits over a campfire, survive in a deer stand, make moonshine, make the best B-B-Q in the world, and recognize politicians who want to take over every aspect of our lives.

Yeah, we're pretty dumb alright!

Oh yeah, we're smart enough to not live in places where the earth might fall out from underneath us, or where we are likely to get buried under several feet of snow every winter.

Steve