PDA

View Full Version : Winter Olympics

eg8r
02-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Who is watching? I have only seen maybe 5 minutes of it and that is pretty sad. Shaun White is awesome and I missed his big night. It seems the female downhill skier won the gold with a bruised up shin and I missed that also. This is the best the US has ever performed (so far) in Winter Olympics history and I am missing it all. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Anyone out there actually getting a chance to watch? Anyone actually understand the rules for curling? I find it funny to see an Olympic game being won by the team that sweeps the ice the best. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
02-19-2010, 09:40 AM
I am recording, having DeeWoman edit it and watching everey night.

I, too, am confused by the appeal of someone throwing stones and sweeping in front of them. I think this may be a ACORN consiracy to show that modest workers can be stars as well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I find it funny to see an Olympic game being won by the team that sweeps the ice the best. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

They did a segment on the curling team last night. Much of their "practice" time is spent playing cards and drinking beer.

My question about the sport is this...Shouldn't we have invented this sport long before the northerners ever even thought about it????????? I see plenty of guys "practicing" every weekend!!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

wolfdancer
02-19-2010, 01:30 PM
It's just Bocce Ball on ice....
There is a curling club in this neck of the woods, and I keep threatening to join it, but then I end up just ordering another drink instead...

sack316
02-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I've been watching some here and there. Watching some curling now, as a matter of fact /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Qtec
02-20-2010, 01:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweeping

When a stone is delivered, it is important that there be two players following the stone so that they are ready to sweep its path if needed. Sweeping is done for two reasons: to make the stone travel farther, and to change the amount of curl. The stones curl more as they slow down, so sweeping early in travel tends to increase distance as well as straighten its path, and sweeping after sideways motion is established can increase the sideways distance. When sweeping, pressure and speed of the brush head are key in slightly increasing the layers of moisture that builds up under the stone.[16]

One of the interesting strategy aspects of curling is knowing when to sweep. When the ice in front of the stone is swept, a stone will usually travel both farther and straighter. In some situations, one of the two is often not desirable (for example, a stone may have too much weight, but needs sweeping to prevent curling into a guard), and the team must decide which is better: getting by the guard but traveling too far, or hitting the guard.

Much of the yelling that goes on during a curling game is the skip calling the line of the shot and the sweepers calling the weight. The skip evaluates the path of the stone and calls to the sweepers to sweep as necessary to hold the rock straight. The sweepers themselves are responsible for judging the weight of the stone and ensuring the length of travel is correct. Simultaneously, the sweepers must communicate the weight (speed) of the stone back to the skip. Some teams use stopwatch timing, from back line to the nearest hog line as a sweeping aid. Many teams use the "Number System," where the playable area is divided into 10 zones, each assigned a number, and these numbers are used to communicate where the sweepers estimate the stone will stop.

Usually, the two sweepers will be on opposite sides of the stone's path, although depending on which side people's strengths are, this may not always be the case. Speed and pressure are vital to sweeping. In gripping the broom, one hand should be one third of the way from the top (non-brush end) of the handle while the other hand should be one third of the way from the head of the broom. The angle of the broom to the ice should be so that the most force possible can be exerted on the ice. The precise amount of pressure may vary from relatively light brushing "just cleaning" (to ensure debris is not in the way) to maximum-pressure scrubbing.

Sweeping can be done anywhere on the ice up to the "tee line," as long as it is only for your own team's stone. Once the leading edge of your team's stone crosses the tee line, only one player may sweep it. Additionally, when an opposing stone crosses the tee line, one player from your team is allowed to sweep it. This is the only case that a stone may be swept by an opposing team member. In international rules, this player must be the skip; or if the skip is throwing, then the third. </div></div>

Its a team sport.

Q

cushioncrawler
02-20-2010, 04:52 AM
I like the event where they put sharp steel columns right where a hi'speed sledger (or a princess diana) will split their guts if they are unlucky enuff to leave their lane.
madMac.

Deeman3
02-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Mac,

That was a shame and probably should have been planned better. I was in Paris when Diana died and had just gone through that underpass a couple of days before. Of course, I was sober and did not have the press chasing me.

It would seem that they could have foreseen a bad wreck there in the Luge but I guess when you are in a sport that requires you to ride in an open sleigh at over 90mph, anything can happen.

Qtec
02-20-2010, 10:08 AM
In downhill skiing they have nets. In formula one they have walls of tyres and bails of straw etc. In a sport where contestants are travelling on sheer ice, lying on a small piece of plastic [ going at 140 km/h ] they have nothing to stop them but concrete and metal pillars?
What would a net have cost?

The poor guy expressed his concern before he died and nothing was done. He couldn't have been the only one who was scared.

Q.........Appalled.

eg8r
02-20-2010, 01:17 PM
As these guys get older they tend to jump on cruise ships or retire to an old folks home and play shuffle board all day. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
What was the guy's concern?

eg8r

eg8r
02-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I cracked up later in the evening when I found out curling had been on right after I made the post. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
02-20-2010, 01:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In downhill skiing they have nets. In formula one they have walls of tyres and bails of straw etc. In a sport where contestants are travelling on sheer ice, lying on a small piece of plastic [ going at 140 km/h ] they have nothing to stop them but concrete and metal pillars?
What would a net have cost?

The poor guy expressed his concern before he died and nothing was done. He couldn't have been the only one who was scared.

Q.........Appalled. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Surprisingly, a couple fo the Europeans said they were upset that they had moved the start down to the "old ladies" start! </span>

cushioncrawler
02-21-2010, 04:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mac, That was a shame and probably should have been planned better. I was in Paris when Diana died and had just gone through that underpass a couple of days before. Of course, I was sober and did not have the press chasing me. It would seem that they could have foreseen a bad wreck there in the Luge but I guess when you are in a sport that requires you to ride in an open sleigh at over 90mph, anything can happen.</div></div>Princess Di might hav survived if she had uzed the seat belt.
Praps the sledder too.
madMac.

hondo
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is watching? I have only seen maybe 5 minutes of it and that is pretty sad. Shaun White is awesome and I missed his big night. It seems the female downhill skier won the gold with a bruised up shin and I missed that also. This is the best the US has ever performed (so far) in Winter Olympics history and I am missing it all. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Anyone out there actually getting a chance to watch? Anyone actually understand the rules for curling? I find it funny to see an Olympic game being won by the team that sweeps the ice the best. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>

LOL! I agree, Eg.

hondo
02-21-2010, 04:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just Bocce Ball on ice....
There is a curling club in this neck of the woods, and I keep threatening to join it, but then I end up just ordering another drink instead... </div></div>

LOL! Or Canadian shuffleboard.

JohnnyD
02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Curling is a wonderful athletic sport.Go Canadians Jesus is with you.

eg8r
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
How about the US hockey team? Pretty awesome.

I absolutely do not follow hockey at all. Never have probably never will. But there is something about watching it during the Olympics. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I hope they keep it up but they are not out of the woods. They may still end up playing Canada again.

eg8r