PDA

View Full Version : Roy Kinman-Any one remember him?

PoolFool
08-17-2002, 11:08 PM
There is an elderly man (80's) living in Arlington, TX. I have heard stories recently about how good he once was. Played with all the great players of the 40's, 50's and 60's. I was just wondering if any one on CCB has heard of him.

PoolFool

BillPorter
08-18-2002, 05:36 PM
PoolFool,

I remember him, but barely. Somehow I thought his name was Leroy, not Roy. As I recall, he was a very good player, but not much into gambling on the game. I don't recall seeing him play any of the name players of that era. I must have seen him during the early 1960's when I hung out at a place in Dallas called Cotton Bowling Palace. (A big bowling place with a billiard area.) Dallas wasn't known for its great pool players in those days, but many road players came through and played at Cotton Palace since it was about the only 24/7 spot where you could get action in Big D.

08-19-2002, 09:09 AM
Roy Kinman lives in Arlington now. Bill Schick in Shreveport told me that Roy still gives private lessons. I understand that Bob Vanover was one of his students.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
08-19-2002, 09:40 AM

08-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Do you mean Lee Roy Kinman of Texas? I remember (a) that he played in a few of the early U. S. Open 14.1 tournaments in the mid- to late '60s, (b) that he was said to be a former intercollegiate champion too, and (c) he had a by-God flat-top crew-cut. (Guys in my shape tend to notice things like that.) He looked like a pretty fair player, but did not distinguish himself at that particular meet. GF