PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Rack: A Review

Bambu
02-26-2010, 12:05 PM
At first my reaction was "hey, good idea." My second was: "but 20 bucks for 2 plastic templates?" A friend of mine has trouble racking because he has no fingers, so I thought this might help him. After trying the rack out, I still have mixed feelings. Nonetheless, I am confident that many people will like this product.

The good:

1. Racks the balls perfectly every time.

2. Does the job faster, hardly any adjustment needed.

3. Works well on any table, regardless of cloth condition.

4. Can be rolled up and re-flattened, is portable.

The bad:

1. Little to no action on the 9 ball makes it feels like a "rigged" rack.

2. The rack is so solid, the cue ball seems to rebound off the pack harder.....like a baseball off a bat. (So any type of low hit creates more draw than usual.)

3. Breaking from the side diamond, the inside wing ball is too easy to make. I'm talking over 80% here, as the ball seems to go in at almost any speed.

4. Does not simulate current tournament conditions well(breaks differently than a typical rack would).

At the amateur level, I could see tournament directors loving these racks. They are almost guranteed to speed up any tourney. No more fussing with balls that dont rack well, and more balls made on the break.

Btw I finally discovered a person lazier than me. My friend with no fingers doesnt bother with the template!

Bambu
03-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Last night I tried the magic rack 10 ball template. After using it for about 5 hours, I liked it alot more than the 9 ball version. I'm not very experienced at breaking 10 ball racks, but from what I can tell....nothing is wired to automatically go in. (The 10 ball even moves.) I understand this is the nature of the 10 ball rack itself, but the template does not seem to change anything dramatically(the way the 9 ball version does). So I like it for 10 ball, but not so much for 9 ball.

Btw I am really starting to like 10 ball as opposed to 9 ball. Very few games where you can combo or carom the winning ball in for a quickie, more kicking, more safety play, and less BS.

Sid_Vicious
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Personally I see all of the "bad" comments as really good comments. A perfect rack with all balls touching will give you #1. in your list. #2 follows as well for the same tight rack reasons. #3 might possibly be the only thing to complain about, so use a break box or rack forward. #4, well, DUH!

The first point I noticed was the 9B not moving and the slug rack idea. That 9 not moving is an indicator of a really good rack. sid

Bambu
03-02-2010, 08:29 AM
If you rack forward, you arent simulating a true 9 ball break. IMO, that would be pointless.

You might call #4 a given, but it was designed to make a point. The concept being the use of these templates to speed up tournaments. Also that I think the product would sell much more if they were tournament legal.

Sid_Vicious
03-02-2010, 12:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you rack forward, you arent simulating a true 9 ball break. IMO, that would be pointless.

You might call #4 a given, but it was designed to make a point. The concept being the use of these templates to speed up tournaments. Also that I think the product would sell much more if they were tournament legal. </div></div>

We're running in circles though. If the inconsistencies of the crappy racks you find all over the PHs in the world are to be limited, then the actual CONSISTENCY of a better rack will create more of a chance for methodology of breaking, and making balls. Let's take the 9B non moving for instance at break. That single element by itself gets player's panties in a wad, saying, "You rigged that rack!" That what happens when ALL of the gaps are totally gone, i.e. a perfect rack. As far as racking forward on purpose...I agree for the most part. Break from a box. There again, peeps will cry and complain.

In the end, it's just impossible to keep the bitching down(any time!) from players when thay actually see a rack that is totally consistent. It is a scant few pool players who even understand all all of these truths about the rack once it is set in place totally tight. Reminds me of politics. sid

Fran Crimi
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey Bambu, who's declaring those racks as illegal for tournament play? They seem pretty good to me, just by the your decription and some comments I've heard by various players, although I haven't actually tried one yet.

Bambu
03-02-2010, 12:56 PM
To me its not so much about the 9 ball movement. It's more about the wing ball percentage skyrocketing. The ball goes in from the box too, but I would not favor limiting the way a player breaks in favor of the template anyway. As long as you rack tight, that ball is rigged enough as it is. That's just the nature of the 9 ball rack. The template just makes that aspect worse. As far as who would complain, that all depends on the particular group of guys. As long as I can do the same, and I'm not playing a pro....I wouldnt complain.

Bambu
03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bambu, who's declaring those racks as illegal for tournament play? They seem pretty good to me, just by the your decription and some comments I've heard by various players, although I haven't actually tried one yet. </div></div>

Fran, I did not mean to imply that they were officially illegal. It's just that I have yet to see them used at any tournaments. But if it were my call on the 9 ball template, I'd say good for amateur, but too easy for pros.

The absence of templates may have to do with pure sponsorship, just speculating here. For example, Delta 13 is the official rack of the predator tour. Could anyone make enough money selling plastic templates, and still have money left over for sponsorship?

Fran Crimi
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
<span style="color: #000099">"Could anyone make enough money selling plastic templates, and still have money left over for sponsorship?" </span>

Stranger things have happened. If someone can get rich by creations like the Chia Pet or Pet Rock, hey, why not plastic rack templates? (Not that I'm comparing rack templates to chia pets and pet rocks...)

I have a feeling they may become popular with the pool playing communities before long. They're certainly light weight and easy to replace.

1Time
03-03-2010, 01:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bad:

1. Little to no action on the 9 ball makes it feels like a "rigged" rack. </div></div>
Simple solution: get the CB to hit the rack again after it's initial pop. If you know how to break, there's no way to rack 9ball where it can't be moved.

Bambu
03-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I will give you 5 to 1 odds the 9 ball doesnt touch a rail. Film it, and I will pay you. You do it 6 outta 10, you win.

Me, I have no clue how to break....so I will continue to try getting position on the 1 ball instead.

Bambu
03-03-2010, 08:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #000099">"Could anyone make enough money selling plastic templates, and still have money left over for sponsorship?" </span>

Stranger things have happened. If someone can get rich by creations like the Chia Pet or Pet Rock, hey, why not plastic rack templates? (Not that I'm comparing rack templates to chia pets and pet rocks...)

I have a feeling they may become popular with the pool playing communities before long. They're certainly light weight and easy to replace.</div></div>

I guess you're right, Fran. They made money on key chains, chalk holders, gloves, finger slides; even plastic ghost ball laminates have made money.

And I agree, this is a product that should excel. I have not been able to get a hold of Tony Robles yet, but I spoke to Finnegan about this last night. He confirmed my suspicions about sponsorship contracts. You know what they say, "follow the money."

gabeski
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Where can I get info on this Magic rack, I've tried a number of addresses with no luck?

Bambu
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I got mine from Ken Murrell, no problems with the transaction.

ktmurrell@msn.com

1Time
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will give you 5 to 1 odds the 9 ball doesnt touch a rail. Film it, and I will pay you. You do it 6 outta 10, you win.

Me, I have no clue how to break....so I will continue to try getting position on the 1 ball instead. </div></div>
Are you talking to me? lol... I don't gamble, haven't since I stopped hustling pool many years ago. But a pool buddy of mine does. Would you mine betting him instead? I would shoot / break, and he would gamble. He'd probably want to put a few grand on it. How much are you good for? I'm sure he'll want to know.

Bambu
03-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Considering you could have all the time you want, it would only prove that it could be done. So I wouldnt bet too high. But if you can prove its really you doing the shooting.... I got 100 to your 20 that says you cant do it. Superstar like you, should take you 5 minutes for a quick 100.

1Time
03-03-2010, 01:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Considering you could have all the time you want, it would only prove that it could be done. So I wouldnt bet too high. But if you can prove its really you doing the shooting.... I got 100 to your 20 that says you cant do it. Superstar like you, should take you 5 minutes for a quick 100. </div></div>
Take all the time I want? That's hardly a fair bet. I thought you meant on my first try. You know, film opening the new rack from the packaging, shoot 6 to 10 racks and done. This guy won't bother with such a lowly bet, better things to do. And I wouldn't want to cause you a financial hardship loosing your last $100. But of course if you ever get the money to spare, let me know when you're ready to win a minimum of $500 or lose $2500, and we'll talk.

Remember, I said the solution is simple IF you know how - and I even told you how... lol. I usually give away lessons like this, but I mean if you're ever willing to pay my pool buddy a minimum of $2500 for this lesson, I'm sure he won't mind. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bambu
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
And on the 8th day, god made the ignore button. Hallelujah! Can I get an amen?

1Time
03-03-2010, 03:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And on the 8th day, god made the ignore button. Hallelujah! Can I get an amen? </div></div>
Amen.

But of course I have no reason to ignore your posts.

And I have to give you credit... at least you have enough sense to walk away when you can't win.

I might just make such a you-tube video for fun. I'll be sure to post a link if I do.

Sports fans: take note of the kind of crap gambling can cause.