PDA

View Full Version : Cue case from color of money?

McdermottClassic
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
does anyone know anything about fast eddies cue case from the Color of money?

Gayle in MD
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I wish I did. I'd love to have one. I don't like the other type of case that hangs on your shoulder. Can't find the suitcase style like the one you mention, around here, that holds two cues.

Gayle in Md.

pooltchr
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't know the exact case in the movie, but box style cue cases are easily found.

http://www.cuesight.com/pool-cue-cases-sterling-traditional-box-cases.html

Steve

Rich R.
03-06-2010, 06:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know the exact case in the movie, but box style cue cases are easily found.

http://www.cuesight.com/pool-cue-cases-sterling-traditional-box-cases.html

Steve </div></div>
Steve, IIRC the case in TCOM was a little larger than those shown in your link and the exterior was velvet or something similar. I have never seen one like it in my travels.

pooltchr
03-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Rich, you are probably correct. I never paid a whole lot of attention to the case in the movie.
I would think anyone with a modest workshop and basic woodworking skills could easily build one. It might be a fun project when the weather warms up and I can get back out into my workshop again.

Steve

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm like Steve...I didn't pay much attention to the case anyway. My first thoughts though, were that is was a chezzy hard case and nothing noteworthy. IMO, the evolution to the cases we have available today for carrying our cues, has to be one of the best changes. What we have today comes with handles, straps, various pockets, and looks better that the old style cases such as COM's case. jm2c. sid

catscradle
03-06-2010, 01:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm like Steve...I didn't pay much attention to the case anyway. My first thoughts though, were that is was a chezzy hard case and nothing noteworthy. IMO, the evolution to the cases we have available today for carrying our cues, has to be one of the best changes. What we have today comes with handles, straps, various pockets, and looks better that the old style cases such as COM's case. jm2c. sid </div></div>
I thought it was cheesy too and much prefer tube cases, but if I did want a box case it would be the Longoni cue case (http://www.longonicues.com/spares/cases.htm).

KellyStick
03-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey, building a cue case sounds like fun. I'd do it at cost or there abouts. I have pretty much a full workshop and could easily build a case for someone. It would be made out of wood but sounds like it would need to be covered with something else. That part I might need some help with or perhaps someone else could provide the expertise to do that. We could have some fun with this. I have also thought about a sort of long ovalized, all wood case would be bad azz looking.

When I make something I like to also include special little things that serve very specific purposes. Like a slot perhaps to hold the tip pricker for example or scuffing paraphernalia. I hate scrounging in my case for this stuff. The feel of chalk dust under my fingernails is like fingernails on a chalk board to me. Maybe a springloaded chalk dispenser with a 10 chalk capacity? Maybe even a little jack stand with fold out or detachable stick holder for during the match. Imagination is the only limit. Think Swiss Army Pool case but with style and not over the top.

I like the idea of a suitcase style as that matches better with wood working. The case would need to be light but strong which would mean proper wood choice, thickness and joinery would be important. I think the covering, if added, would need to also cushion impact. This would allow a thinner less weighty wood carcass. On the other hand I have hefted some pretty heavy cases. Heavier would also protect vs just carry.

Caution, I have a full time life and wood working often takes a back seat. In other words I am slow. On the other hand this is a small project and could get fitted in. Any takers? I would need a concept sketch to start. I do need to finish my daughters cabriole leg, Mahogany Low Boy wedding present first. Since she got married in January. BUt I'm close on that....

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2010, 03:59 PM
That's a nice looking case line! sid

misterbrains
06-19-2010, 03:31 PM
It was made by a guy named McKernan in Seattle. He shot pool at Goldie's on 45th street when he made it. I thought the original edit of TCOM started with a long slow pan of the stick in an open case - I recently rerented it and the opening titles are different.
Anyway McKernan made tube cases with all the leftovers, he sold a few in the neighborhood @$50. I should've bought 5. The leather handle is the same, velvet interior's from the same bolt, all the brass is the same, and he steamed very thin oak around PVC. The end cap is a compression fit and has the letter M inlaid. Last year a guy in Vegas recognized - he sold some of them in Tennessee back in the '80s.

JoeW
06-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Review this guy's video he shows you everything you need to know to make your own case. I used his ideas to build a cue case. Lots of fun and doesn't cost a lot of money, just time and effort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemJQDkALcI

runoutking
06-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I also like the longoni cases. Never heard about them until now. I'll keep that in mind when I get ready to buy another case.

RichRI
07-27-2010, 04:01 PM
I believe McKernan was the name. The unusual thing about the case is leather weaved handle from one piece of leather. I have one by this man and it has that same handle but it is an end loaded tube case. He also tooled your name in the side of the case if you wanted it. Never could figure how the handle was made. If you want to see a picture of the handle, let me know and I will take a picture of my case and get it to you somehow. Can you post a picture on here?

JoeW
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
There is a book titled, "How to make cowboy horse gear" that shows many types of knots and braids that can be used on a cue case made from deer hide or other materials. I made a case this way. It took awhile because some of the braids and knots take a long time to make but it sure is worth while.

One that I made from deer skin (bought from a taxidermists who had skins he did not need) is still admired by many people. I gave it to a friend and he has had several people ask him to ask me to make one for them. There are many ways to make a case and you can get very creative if you get the book mentioned above.

I had no experience working with leather when I made the cases so you don't really need any experience. You just need patience and maybe $30.00 for an old deer hide. I think the book might cost $10.00 - $15.00 or so.