PDA

View Full Version : Tour management : need some tips

Pask
02-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Hi all,

My best pool friend, the one I consider my coach, has now more spare time ahead for pool practice and competition. He is a very high-level player, loves the game, and would like to go a big step forward in competition. So he has decided, because of the lack of tournaments and level in France, to go for playing tournaments in Europe, because pool is more developped and popular in many countries around France (the UK, the Netherlands, Germany in particular).

So, as I'm a pool lover, good friend of him, sharing same view regarding pool game, and as I speak good English and wander around on foreign pool forums (such forums are not that interesting in France unfortunately), he offered me a deal earlier this week : I manage to find him good events abroad (finding intersting official/unofficial tournaments or opens, contacts, good spots for accomodation and transports etc) and in exchange he will give me high-end pool lessons, which he normally teaches for money (he's taught me some tips and guidelines only so far). So you can imagine I agreed!!!

So, even if CCB forum consists mostly of US or non-European guys, I thought some of you may help me in my new 'pool task'. I think I can find out some good stuff, but maybe some of you, because of their own experience for instance, could help me in managing my coach's agenda. I've started looking in the UK where pool and billiards are very popular. So far, I've found a first good event in Edinburgh, Scotland : Edinburgh 9-Ball Open (http://www.scottish9ball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=430). I've got in touch with the guy organizing him to get info. So, for the moment I'm doing quite alright I guess for a rookie player agent!

So, what could be the good tips to know to manage a player's tour? I've also thought that it may be helpful to find out sponsors in order to lower my coach's budget (I recall he's an amatuer, no official pro status in France for pool players). How should I proceed then? I have no idea how to do that. I may have other questions in the long run of course.

Thank you in advance guys for your help! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Qtec
02-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Let him play the Rotterdam Open. He will be up against the top players from Holland, Belgium, Germany, UK etc.
I will watch this mystery guy and give you my professional opinion on his game, for free. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

If you come I will also give you a free evaluation on your own game and provide instruction if needed. No cost.

Qtec...........I played a guy called S Cohen 20/25 years ago a few times [ snooker] , is it the same guy?

Pask
02-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for your help Qtec! I've replied in details via a PM to you.

My coach plays really well. Maybe I'm not good enough to assess his real potential of play, but as a pool enthusiast I really think travelling around in Europe could make him gain experience and improve alot. He would stick to his current level or decrease maybe if he stayed here. And it would be very rewarding for me if, as an amateur agent, I can make him improve, make good performances and win. This is just a hobby for me, but I take it very seriously. This guy has completely made my level change since I met him, so I want to do that the best I can in exchange of all the improvement, help and support he's provided to me so far. When I moved to Tours, I had a low level, and people around (not top players but sunday players) used to criticized me alot. Now these guys keep quiet and think twice before playing me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif My coach deserves a good tour management.

acuerate
02-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Pascal,

if you are in Belgium then let us know. As most know, my business partner is Chris Henry (unofficially recognised as the nr. 1 snooker coach in the world) ... and obviously knows a lot about cue ball physics. We could see if there is room for a sponsorship from Acuerate.
Here is my email address : jc@acuerate.com

Take care,
Johan

Pask
03-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi all,

I've found my first tournament outside France for my coach! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

It will be on May 20-24, in Luxemburg : the Ardennen-Intervilla Cup 2010 (http://www.ardennen-cup-luxembourg.com/). This is a big 8-ball event (about 330 players for men's tournament last year), 4 tournaments organized (men, ladies, juniors and teams), little entry fee (40) and big prize for the winner (between 2500 and 3600!!! depending on the number of players). There won't be any 'big boys', but lots of players from Europe, mainly Luxemburg, Germany, the Netherlands. I guess my coach has some chance to make a good score, and the qualy system (groups of 32 players, double KO, 6 qualified for each group including 4 winners / 2 losers) make it worth the trip for my coach. It's for any player of any category or nationality, and certified by the EPBF.

I know it's just an open I've found, but I'm pretty glad because it has been long to look at all features, search for info, email the organizer etc., in order to see if it would interest my coach. It wasn't that easy sometimes because Luxemburg doesn't necessarily work the same regarding pool competitions, many languages are spoken (French, Dutch, German), so it was a bit confusing at first. After a week of investigations, I emailed him to present him this tournament, and he accepted to register to this one!

--------------> Mission complete! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Qtec
03-05-2010, 08:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(unofficially recognised as the nr. 1 snooker coach in the world) </div></div>

That can't be right. I AM the UNOFFICIAL No 1 snooker coach in the world!

Q /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif