PDA

View Full Version : Why volunteer?

pooltchr
02-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Because of people like this:

Dear friends,

In early February, two black Labs were sitting on death row at the Greenville Animal Shelter in Greenville, SC. As you may not know, black dogs are NOT generally adopted by Southerners, so their very young and healthy lives were destined not just to be cut short, but to end alone and in pain. Contrary to what you may think, euthanasia in the South is not administered in such a way that an animal "goes quietly and peacefully."

Ellen Ryan, one of my closest friends, had given me the head's up that her brother, Bruce, who lives in VA, was looking to adopt his THIRD RESCUED Lab. So when I read the email about Niko, the male Lab blend in Greenville, I immediately called her and forwarded the message.

Ellen in turn shared the email with Bruce's - he does not own a computer - daughter, Stefani, and when his daughter told her Dad about Niko, he immediately said yes. Then Stefani told Bruce about Brandy, a female Lab blend also at the Greenville Shelter, and Bruce agreed to adopt them both.

I contacted Laura, a devoted rescuer/buddy in NC, who in turn contacted Jamie, one of "her people," who lives near Greenville, SC. On February 8th, Jamie pulled the Labs from the shelter and arranged their boarding at the nearby Ambassador Animal Hospital.

Once Niko and Brandy were safely settled at the kennel, Jamie contacted Amy, a rescuer who coordinates transports, and Amy started the hard work of setting up an all-volunteer transport from Greenville, SC, to Bruce in Melfa, VA.

For personal reasons, Bruce could not receive his two new pups until later in the month.

Although well cared for at the hospital, Niko and Brandy were anxious to meet their new guardian, and I am thrilled to report that their transport to Bruce will begin tomorrow, all thanks to Amy's tenacity and to wonderful fellow rescuers, who agreed to spend their Saturday driving these pups to safety.

At eight Saturday morning, Niko and Brandy will be picked up in Greenville by the first volunteer transporter. For the next eleven hours or so, these very lucky Labs will be driven by volunteers, requiring that each person drives "a leg" of about a hundred miles until they meet the next leg or driver.

At around the same time tomorrow, related transports for an English Setter named Sofie and a Collie blended puppy named Pup - I think - will also start. For a couple of legs, the Labs' transport will be joined by Sofie before they are welcomed by Bruce at around seven tomorrow night.

Sofie will continue her journey up the East Coast until she is joined by Pup. Finally, Sofie will be greeted by her new guardian in Damascus, MD, but Pup will overnighted in Baltimore before ultimately heading up to her final destination in NY.

Bonded by a special commitment to saving abandoned dogs' lives, approximately twenty extraordinary people came together to make this four-dog rescue possible. What is most remarkable is that, for the most part, not one of these twenty people has ever met each other, but each will have played a vital role in finding forever homes for these at-risk pups.

Consequently, the next time that you hear a casual remark that people no longer can work together to affect positive change, please take a brief moment and remember this rescue, which is duplicated all across this country almost every weekend.

Thank you for reading this lengthy message, which is sent from my heart to Laura, Jamie, Amy, Diane, Anita, Steve, Crystal, Emily, Emily/Kyle, Gary, Leslie, Frank/Trudi, Cara/Katie, Ellen, Stefani and, most importantly, Bruce,

gay

Weston, CT

P.S. If I failed to mention someone by name, please forgive me.

Because it's just the right thing to do!
Steve