PDA

View Full Version : Don't Be Terrorized

Qtec
02-27-2010, 09:42 AM
link (http://reason.com/archives/2006/08/11/dont-be-terrorized)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><u>So how do these common risks compare to your risk of dying in a terrorist attack?</u> To try to calculate those odds realistically, Michael Rothschild, a former business professor at the University of Wisconsin, worked out a couple of plausible scenarios. For example, he figured that if terrorists were to destroy entirely one of America's 40,000 shopping malls per week, your chances of being there at the wrong time would be about one in one million or more. Rothschild also estimated that if terrorists hijacked and crashed one of America's 18,000 commercial flights per week that your chance of being on the crashed plane would be one in 135,000.

Even if terrorists were able to pull off one attack per year on the scale of the 9/11 atrocity, that would mean your one-year risk would be one in 100,000 and your lifetime risk would be about one in 1300. (300,000,000 ÷ 3,000 = 100,000 ÷ 78 years = 1282) <span style='font-size: 17pt'>In other words, your risk of dying in a plausible terrorist attack is much lower than your risk of dying in a car accident, by walking across the street, by drowning, in a fire, by falling, or by being murdered.</span>

So do these numbers comfort you? If not, that's a problem. Already, security measures—pervasive ID checkpoints, metal detectors, and phalanxes of security guards—increasingly clot the pathways of our public lives. It's easy to overreact when an atrocity takes place—to heed those who promise safety if only we will give the authorities the "tools" they want by surrendering to them some of our liberty. As President Franklin Roosevelt in his first inaugural speech said, <span style='font-size: 17pt'>"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself</span>— nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." However, with risks this low there is no reason for us not to continue to live our lives as though terrorism doesn't matter—because it doesn't really matter. <span style='font-size: 20pt'>We ultimately vanquish terrorism when we refuse to be terrorized.</span> </div></div>

Q

LWW
02-27-2010, 10:56 AM
How's that ignoring the terrorists and hoping they just go away working out in Eurabia?
http://www.hyscience.com/archives/France%20burning.gif

http://www.seraphicpress.com/images/muslim%20savages.jpg

LWW

cushioncrawler
02-27-2010, 04:29 PM
What the Bible says about Terrorism

Genesis 35:5
The terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them.

Exodus 23:27
I will send my fear before thee.

Deuteronomy 2:25
This day will I begin to put the dread of thee and the fear of thee upon the nations that are under the whole heaven, who shall hear report of thee, and shall tremble, and be in anguish because of thee.

Deuteronomy 4:34
... by war, and by a mighty hand, and by a stretched out arm, and by great terrors....

Judges 16:27-30
Now the house was full of men and women ... about three thousand men and women.... And Samson called unto the LORD, and said ... strengthen me ... that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines.... And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood..... And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life.

2 Corinthians 5:11
Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men.

3000 men and women squashed / 3,000,000 (say) = 1 in 1000 chance of a philistine being killed in that house collapse.
Not bad for one suicide act of terrorizm.
The 2 pillars equate to the 2 world trade center towers.
The 3000 deaths iz similar too.

The engineers gave evidence that the 2 pillars had been designed to withstand an ordinary sampson -- but never for a sampson strengthened by the lord.
madMac.