PDA

View Full Version : Bunnings Callous Grandstanding: Lex. Herald Leadr

Gayle in MD
03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
<span style="color: #000066">This Editorial could be about the entire Republikook Party! </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bunning's callous grandstanding
Grayson, Paul wrong to applaud

As long as Republicans were in charge, Sen. Jim Bunning was OK with trading a surplus for a deficit. He voted to put two wars, tax cuts and a Medicare drug benefit on the nation's credit card.

Now that Republicans are no longer in charge, Bunning is drawing the line on deficit spending. He's doing it in a way that shows callous contempt for the more than one in 10 working Kentuckians whose jobs disappeared in the economic meltdown.

We've become accustomed to bizarre, egocentric behavior from Bunning. So it wasn't all that surprising when he single-handedly blocked an unemployment benefits extension for a million people, including 119,230 in Kentucky, whose benefits run out this year. About 14,000 Kentuckians will exhaust their benefits in two weeks without the extension.

Bunning's filibuster also denies newly laid-off workers help paying for health insurance. It halts road and bridge projects around the country by furloughing 2,000 federal transportation employees, stops reimbursements to state highway programs and cuts Medicare payments to doctors.

To those who know him, it's not surprising that Bunning answered a Democratic colleague's complaint with a crude profanity. Or that he joked about missing a basketball game while pushing some unemployed Kentuckians into homelessness or bankruptcy.

What is surprising is that Trey Grayson and Rand Paul, the leading Republicans to succeed Bunning, jumped on his one-man band wagon.

Both of them applauded Bunning's actions. Paul's campaign even announced that it will hold a rally supporting Bunning's blockade of aid to the unemployed.

Maybe Grayson and Paul think this plays well with the conservatives who vote in Republican primaries, though Republicans also lose jobs in a bad economy.

It doesn't say much for Grayson's and Paul's judgment, however. Voters could justifiably conclude that they too would be prone to ideological grandstanding, something of which Washington already has far too much.

Also, it's bad economic policy to end unemployment benefits when joblessness is this high. The loss of benefits churns through the economy and hurts other businesses that provide jobs.

Congress has reinstated the pay-as-you-go rules that produced a balanced budget in the Clinton years and must, as Bunning says, follow those rules to gain control of a runaway deficit. Unemployment benefits are a ridiculous place to start. Do Grayson and Paul really not understand that?

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Another BS RW NUTCASE! </span>

Deeman3
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Why would the Dems have put forward a bill calling for pay as you go and then not like the results?

Gee, I bet if this was a Dem doing this it would be hailed as a great devotion to saving money. Pay it out of the leftover TARP funds and be done with it.

eg8r
03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
They were grandstanding when they put that bill forward. They are hating it now that they are being called out for it.

eg8r

pooltchr
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the Reps are pretty much saying "We are all for extending unemployment benefits, just tell us where the money is going to come from"
I suppose we could cut out one of the high speed trains (which nobody will ever ride) but then that would be actually cutting spending from the porkulus bill, and we can't have that, can we?

Steve

wolfdancer
03-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Jim Bunning was one of my sports heroes many years ago. He was a great pitcher, but also the unluckiest pitcher in baseball...imho.
He would pitch a 1 or 2 hitter, and lose 1-0 to an unearned run, or pitch a complete game shutout, get lifted for a pinch hitter, and the team would lose in extra innings... I haven't checked but know he had some awesome ERA stats.
I read about what he is doing now ...and the jobs and paychecks that he is causing to be lost....and now think he is a pos.
Like so many celebrity politicians...Arnold and Jesse being the dumbest of the lot, they got in because of their star appeal, and not their brains....what are his qualifications for that office, besides having a good curve ball....even the dog sled lady looks good by comparison....no, wait...she makes Jesse and Arnold look good...smart even.

Gayle in MD
03-02-2010, 03:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Why would the Dems have put forward a bill calling for pay as you go and then not like the results?
</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">WOW deeman, I can't believe you wrote that! Forgotten already what "Emergency Funding" meant? !!! Did you know that Bunning voted against pay-go???</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gee, I bet if this was a Dem doing this it would be hailed as a great devotion to saving money. Pay it out of the leftover TARP funds and be done with it. </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">I'd suggest to you that since I have a history of being for the common man, the grunt, the Middle Class, and the poor, that ANY representative of either party that would pull such a stunt, at a time when so many Americans are in need, would be on my **** list.

I'd also remind you that TARP was a BUSH program, and since I don't pull dirty tactics, nor live in a fantasy world of partisanship only, I'd remind you that I gave Bush some praise for the TARP program. Also for hiring Gates. Yep, that's right, and have also praised other Republicans, even calling some of them who stood against the corrupt spendoholics, and Bush's idiocy, heroes. Something I don't recall your ever doing, regarding any Democratic.

I'd also like you to know that Paulson, (Among many other financial experts) says that without TARP, we would presently have a 25% unemployment rate right now, and that we were hemmoraging jobs for the entire last two years before Bush left office!

Nice try though. This thread was about what Bunning did. It wasn't about me, and it wasn't about Democratics. The article was from the Lexington Herald Leader, obviously a Kentucky news paper.

Bunning, voted against pay-go. Then after he made a complete fool of himself, having spent six damn years never opening his big ugly mouth about paying for a damn thing, under Bush, and the spendoholic Republicans, (Nor did you, IIRC) Kyle steps up and says unemployment isn't good because it will make Americans too lazy to go out and look for jobs, millions of which were lost during Republican majority, and a Republican President, and then you come along and insinuate that I'M the hypocrite!!!

LMAO! Thats good, Deeman, that is really good.

Oh and BTW, al Qaeda wasn't apparently distracted enough to stop bombing and blowing up people all over the world these last years since the Iraq invasion and occupation, in spite of over four thousand mostly young Americans losing their lives fighting in Bush's war of Lies, as you said they would, they just franchised their operation, and they're still killing people....</span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Gayle in MD
03-02-2010, 03:40 PM
LOL, notice how the right just loves to ignore all the pain and suffering, all the multi disasters, all the danger and chaos which could follow this latest party of NO absurd decision to block this, an essential piece of funding, and focus on political BS instead.

They prove over and over again, they never study the issues.

Nothing new, of course.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
G.