PDA

View Full Version : Jump Legality Question, Tip Gotta Touch Cloth?

Sid_Vicious
08-18-2002, 08:01 AM
I apologize if this was answered earlier sometime cuz I feel I may have already asked this question...does BCA have verbage that states a legal jump requires that you finish the stroke with the tip eventually toughing the cloth? I notice that I don't necessecarily hit anything but the CB when I jump using an under hand stroke. Is that illegal? Someone I respect as being "in the know" told me this was in the BCA rule a while back and I mentally questioned the whys, if it were true. Thanks...sid

PQQLK9
08-18-2002, 08:06 AM
I don't think so

PQQLK9
08-18-2002, 08:39 AM
3.27 JUMP SHOTS
Unless otherwise stated in rules for a specific game it is legal to cause the cue ball to rise off the bed of the table by elevating the cue stick on the shot, and forcing the cue ball to rebound from the bed of the table. Any miscue when executing a jump shot is a foul.

no mention of cloth

08-18-2002, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I apologize if this was answered earlier sometime cuz I feel I may have already asked this question...does BCA have verbage that states a legal jump requires that you finish the stroke with the tip eventually toughing the cloth? I notice that I don't necessecarily hit anything but the CB when I jump using an under hand stroke. Is that illegal? Someone I respect as being "in the know" told me this was in the BCA rule a while back and I mentally questioned the whys, if it were true. Thanks...sid [/quote

nothing like that in there. they may have been thinking about the illegal scoop and had it exactly backwards. in fact, i think it's very sloppy work if the tip does jam into the cloth. that's what causes room owners to outlaw it.

dan

TonyM
08-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Er, no!

Tony

SpiderMan
08-19-2002, 10:02 AM
I've never heard of such a rule. It wasn't me (course, I get no respect anyway).

SpiderMan

rackmup
08-19-2002, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PQQLK9:</font><hr>Any miscue when executing a jump shot is a foul. <hr></blockquote>

The more interesting question is: "What is a miscue during a jump attempt?" Would this be the failure to get the CB up?

I realize it would be a foul should I fail to strike my OB and drive it (or the CB) to a rail or if I strike my opponent's ball first.

Any deeper thoughts on this?

Regards,

Ken

ChrisW
08-19-2002, 12:25 PM
"I notice that I don't necessecarily hit anything but the CB when I jump using an under hand stroke."

Hey Sid,
What do you mean by an under hand stroke?

08-19-2002, 12:38 PM
The conventional grip, not the dart(overhand) stroke...sid