PDA

View Full Version : Really old Mooris--should I use them?

Alaskan_Pool
03-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Don't ask me how but I lost a set of Moori tips about 8 years ago and I just found them--seven 8-year-old unused Mooris. Should I use them? They've been in a dry room all this time. Was thinking maybe I should put them in like a humidor with a damp sponge and let them revitalize for a few weeks? Anyone have any experience with this type of thing.

cushioncrawler
03-06-2010, 04:56 AM
I once got a handfull of very old tips of varyus types and sizes off a mate who had found a bagfull of them.
Theze were the sorts of tips that i think u kood get in the 50's and 60's -- brown leather, one layer and two layer -- all with red bakelite backings.
I thort that they would see me out -- even if i uzed 5 tips a year.
But i found that they were so old and dry and tired that they allwayz split into 2 halves in their first session -- so now they are just for looking at.
Dunno whether younger old dry tips can be saved by hydrating.

Hmmmmmm -- i did hav a cue that i last uzed in 1967 -- it still had the old leather tip on -- and the tip woz very hard, but strong, and didnt giv me any problems. I put a new tip on last year but only koz the old tip woz too hard -- i used to like very hard tips in the oldendays -- but i didnt uze the old cue for serious play anyhow (talking about 2009).
So, over 40 years of laying in a corner didnt hurt that old tip -- but it had allready been played'in -- a new tip, i dont know how it would go.
madMac.

Rich R.
03-06-2010, 06:47 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskan_Pool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't ask me how but I lost a set of Moori tips about 8 years ago and I just found them--seven 8-year-old unused Mooris. Should I use them? They've been in a dry room all this time. Was thinking maybe I should put them in like a humidor with a damp sponge and let them revitalize for a few weeks? Anyone have any experience with this type of thing. </div></div>
Why not just try one and see how it goes. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, in fact, I liked the older Mooris more than the new ones.

Sid_Vicious
03-06-2010, 05:54 PM
If it was me, I'd get me a humidor(cigar storage box and cheap), put them in there and start trying one at a time. I'd certainly not toss those Moori tips until I honestly felt that they were junk.

I got a cheap and free humidor a while back, so send me a few and I'll preserve them for you. What hardness are they? sid

LWW
03-07-2010, 04:35 PM
If they show no signs of dry rot they should be fine.

LWW

Alaskan_Pool
04-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Update: I used one without any "revitalizing" work and it was usable but not great it shredded a little and would get you know a leather "fringe" when I scuffed it. The others I did exactly what I said in the first post, except that I scuffed a few before placing them in the box so the moisture would be able to enter better. On Thursday I mounted one and played yesterday for hours. It scuffed up great without the same problem and seems to be working fine!