PDA

View Full Version : From our Brilliant Veterans

Gayle in MD
03-06-2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.billiondollarsaday.com/

sack316
03-06-2010, 10:18 AM
from the site:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are sending more than $1 billion dollars a day overseas for oil. Money that ends up in the hands of terrorists that pay for deadly weapons against American troops, like EFPs. </div></div>

I fully agree. We should not be sending that kind of money overseas. If only we has such resources right here at home.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-06-2010, 10:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from the site:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are sending more than $1 billion dollars a day overseas for oil. Money that ends up in the hands of terrorists that pay for deadly weapons against American troops, like EFPs. </div></div>

I fully agree. We should not be sending that kind of money overseas. If only we has such resources right here at home.

Sack </div></div>

I don't know if you are familiar with:

The World Is Flat
OR

Hot, Flat And Crowded,

But, I have a great deal of respect for the author,Thomas Ricks.

China is working furiously to address renewable fuels.

I believe, as the author says, that the country which makes the greatest strides in renewable fuels, will be the greatest society of the future.

I'm glad that our Veterans are highlighting the most damaging result of our dependence on oil from foreign countries.

The sooner we stop using it, the better. It will be, IMO the next industrial revolution, that and technology in general.

WE should have been on this course forty years ago.

Carter tried to warn us, and no other president laid it out as clearly as he did. he told us the truth, and he was punished for it.

G.

pooltchr
03-06-2010, 11:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sack </div></div>

Sack. The thing is, we do have the resources right here. Alaska is full of oil, both coasts offer huge resources of oil, Our shale oil reserves are also incredible.

But there is one party who keeps saying "NO". Of course, they are the ones that keep calling the other party, the party of no.

Think of how much less oil we would be importing, had we not had restrictions placed on oil exploration in our own country for years, and had we been building nuclear plants over the past 35 years!!

Go figure!

Steve

LWW
03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from the site:

Sack </div></div>
Well said.

It takes a true practitomer of doublethink to believe that we shouldn't be involved overseas to maintain a supply of oil AND we should NOT develop any energy supply that would make this avoidable.

LWW

llotter
03-06-2010, 01:24 PM
China is a top-down, command economy and ours is capitalist. The market will deal most efficiently with economic issues if only the government would stop putting roadblocks at every turn and simply get out of the way. Freedom will win the economic challenges if people are allowed to solve their own problems.

sack316
03-06-2010, 02:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The World Is Flat
OR

Hot, Flat And Crowded,

But, I have a great deal of respect for the author,Thomas Ricks.</div></div>

I am not familiar, but will look into it. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe, as the author says, that the country which makes the greatest strides in renewable fuels, will be the greatest society of the future.</div></div>

I believe you may well be correct there. And I also agree that it is imperative that we develop and make use of renewable energy as soon as possible. However, that will take time to develop, and time for other industries to transform in order for such advances to become the norm. In that period (right now, research, discovery, development, and so on) we still don't have to send that large sum of money overseas. We can do that here, be in control of our own prices rather than be at the mercy of others, AND create a few jobs as well... AND still be able to work towards being the country that develops renewable energy.

Sack

sack316
03-06-2010, 02:53 PM
yeah, that is what I was facetiously saying /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
03-06-2010, 03:23 PM
You are correct. I don't understand why some people seem to think this is an either/or proposition. Develop alternative fuel sources, but at the same time, take control of our own needs right now with our own oil fields. According to some experts, we have enough to meet our needs for 100 years. Certainly, by that time, we can develop alternatives. Meanwhile, screw the arabs.

Steve

Stretch
03-06-2010, 03:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from the site:

Sack </div></div>

The World Is Flat
OR

Hot, Flat And Crowded,

I believe, as the author says, that the country which makes the greatest strides in renewable fuels, will be the greatest society of the future.

I'm glad that our Veterans are highlighting the most damaging result of our dependence on oil from foreign countries.

The sooner we stop using it, the better. It will be, IMO the next industrial revolution, that and technology in general.

Carter tried to warn us, and no other president laid it out as clearly as he did. he told us the truth, and he was punished for it.

G.

</div></div>

Gale, i agree. The time to invest in and develope alternate forms of energy is NOW! Most "optomistic" esItimates at the worlds known oil reserves is about 80 years at present consumption. That's it, done forever, gone. For starters i'd like to see more solar, wind, tidal, whatever your local area can take advantage of power collectors for domestic power. Think of it as every dollar saved on "renewable" power is a dollar saved on your foriegn gas bill. That and everyone just doing a lot of little things to save can make a HUGE difference.

Plus, i think everyone here is well aware that North Americans (we're guilty up here too) are the worlds biggest energy pigs on the planet. Cheap energy was the single biggest advantage we had in the industrial age. That's shifted now. The Sadi's are smart. As consumption for oil goes down, so will the price of oil. They'll do anything to keep us suckin on the oil tit and making them and thier buddies billionairs.

One thing i know for sure is that the first nation to develope a cheap alternate form of energy something of the magnitude that would make oil obsolete. Well they'd be in the drivers seat eh? St.

Chilled
03-07-2010, 12:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from the site:

Sack </div></div>

The World Is Flat
OR

Hot, Flat And Crowded,

G.

</div></div>

Gale, i agree. The time to invest in and develope alternate forms of energy is NOW! Most "optomistic" esItimates at the worlds known oil reserves is about 80 years at present consumption. That's it, done forever, gone. For starters i'd like to see more solar, wind, tidal, whatever your local area can take advantage of power collectors for domestic power. Think of it as every dollar saved on "renewable" power is a dollar saved on your foriegn gas bill. That and everyone just doing a lot of little things to save can make a HUGE difference.

Plus, i think everyone here is well aware that North Americans (we're guilty up here too) are the worlds biggest energy pigs on the planet. Cheap energy was the single biggest advantage we had in the industrial age. That's shifted now. The Sadi's are smart. As consumption for oil goes down, so will the price of oil. They'll do anything to keep us suckin on the oil tit and making them and thier buddies billionairs.

One thing i know for sure is that the first nation to develope a cheap alternate form of energy something of the magnitude that would make oil obsolete. Well they'd be in the drivers seat eh? St. </div></div>

Don't disagree at all with the comments about renewable energy but some of the associated thinking related to oil seems clouded by common myths and fallacies.

1. The Saudis may or may not be smart but what you suggest regarding oil prices being dropped by Saudis in order to encourage more oil use isn't quite how it works now or how it would or could work in the future.

Obviously a reduced consumer demand for oil in USA does result in lower oil prices for everyone on the world markets but the reason why has nothing to do with clever Saudis taking a marketing decision to drop prices to encourage more use of oil.

The level of consumer use of oil in USA is probably the single biggest factor influencing world oil prices in today's world and certainly way more significant an influence than any Saudi Arabian will ever again be. This isn't the 70's and the world has moved on. Even OPEC has nowhere near the level of influence on world prices which many perceive it to have.

2. In recent years only 8% of USA crude oil imports have come from Saudi Arabia and only 13% in total, have come from all the Middle East "arab" nations, including Saudi Arabia, added together. The USA imports more oil from UK than it does from Kuwait for example.

Think it's probably fair to say that the above reality is a far cry from the picture which much of the USA public tends to form in its mind when oil imports are mentioned. There are probably several contributory reasons as to why the perception is so distorted from the reality. Those reasons don't really matter to this discussion as long as the inaccurate perception itself is factored into the thinking process.

3. For relevant interest the "top ten" places from which USA has in recent years imported most crude oil, in order, are actually as follows:-

Canada
Mexico
Nigeria
Saudi Arabia
Venezeula
Algeria
Russia
Iraq
Virgin Islands (US)
Angola

Add Colombia in 10th if ignoring the US Virgin Islands.

LWW
03-07-2010, 04:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from the site:

Sack </div></div>

The World Is Flat
OR

Hot, Flat And Crowded,

G.

</div></div>

Gale, i agree. The time to invest in and develope alternate forms of energy is NOW! Most "optomistic" esItimates at the worlds known oil reserves is about 80 years at present consumption. That's it, done forever, gone.</div></div>

Henry Ford believed we were done within 10 years back in the 1920's. Peak oil charlatans convinced him of this and he began massive research efforts into turning lima beans into fuel/

The peak oil charlatans have been out convincing the naive ever since. Are you aware that proven oil reserves continue to go up?

Rhetorical question BTW ... dearest leader would nevver let that be put on the spoon for you.

LWW

pooltchr
03-07-2010, 07:50 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chilled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
3. For relevant interest the "top ten" places from which USA has in recent years imported most crude oil, in order, are actually as follows:-

Canada
Mexico
Nigeria
Saudi Arabia
Venezeula
Algeria
Russia
Iraq
Virgin Islands (US)
Angola

Add Colombia in 10th if ignoring the US Virgin Islands. </div></div>

That is all the imported oil. It would be interesting to see the percentages from each, and even more interesting if the list also included the percentage of domestically produced oil.

Steve

Gayle in MD
03-07-2010, 08:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The World Is Flat
OR

Hot, Flat And Crowded,

But, I have a great deal of respect for the author,Thomas Ricks.</div></div>

I am not familiar, but will look into it. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe, as the author says, that the country which makes the greatest strides in renewable fuels, will be the greatest society of the future.</div></div>

I believe you may well be correct there. And I also agree that it is imperative that we develop and make use of renewable energy as soon as possible. However, that will take time to develop, and time for other industries to transform in order for such advances to become the norm. In that period (right now, research, discovery, development, and so on) we still don't have to send that large sum of money overseas. We can do that here, be in control of our own prices rather than be at the mercy of others, AND create a few jobs as well... AND still be able to work towards being the country that develops renewable energy.

Sack </div></div>

The oil companies are to blame for the fact that we are still trading in foreign oil. It has nothing to do with legislation. They refuse to build refineries here. They already have plenty of oil rich locations to drill, right now.

It's nothing but price fixing by the American oil cartel.

The corporate CEO's in our country are hooked on ridiculously high salaries and bonuses, for one thing. They'd rather jam money into their own pockets as fast as they can, than to consider what is good for the country.

As in health care, and insurance, we subsidize the wrong people, and the consumer pays the price, while politicians are advantaged in pay offs from the corporate fascist pigs who gouge the rest of us.

We should only subsidize the corporations which operate in the interest of the future of the country, and it's comsumers. Until we have public financing, there is little hope that our grand children will ever know the kind of America that my generation, pre-boomer, grew up expecting to inherit. Recent Supreme Court Rulings, advantaging corporate power, and influence on our representatives will expand the negative impact on our future.

G.

LWW
03-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Oh please.

LWW

Chilled
03-07-2010, 10:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chilled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[

Canada
Mexico
Nigeria
Saudi Arabia
Venezeula
Algeria
Russia
Iraq
Virgin Islands (US)
Angola

Add Colombia in 10th if ignoring the US Virgin Islands. </div></div>

That is all the imported oil. It would be interesting to see the percentages from each, and even more interesting if the list also included the percentage of domestically produced oil.

Steve </div></div>

Out of the total oil imported by USA from everywhere in the world the top ten places account for the following approximately....

Canada 20%
Saudi 12%
Mexico 10%
Venezuela 9%
Nigeria 8%
Iraq 5%
Algeria 4%
Russia 4%
Angola 4%
Virgin Is 3%

These are newer figures than used before so list is slightly different.

Re how domestically produced crude totals compare it works out roughly that for every 5 tons imported the US produces about 2 tons itself internally and out of that 2 tons about 0.7 of a ton is then exported outside of USA.

LWW
03-07-2010, 03:12 PM
And the reason for the exportation is the nanny state.

We have deemed it isn't fit to be burned here, so we send it to Canada and Mexico where they don't suffer from such mental maladies ... and we all know that air from Mexico could never drift over here.

LWW

Gayle in MD
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM

Sack </div></div>

The World Is Flat
OR

Hot, Flat And Crowded,

G.

</div></div>

One thing i know for sure is that the first nation to develope a cheap alternate form of energy something of the magnitude that would make oil obsolete. Well they'd be in the drivers seat eh? St. </div></div>

Absolutely! And just as we're seeing as we wrok on reforming our health care industry, corporate money pre-empting what is really the best course of action to take, the same thing goes on regarding addressing our dependence on oil.

All of the rich nations which felt the moral obligation to provide health care for all of their citizens, had to go up against the usual corporate predatory thieves who were profiting off of other people's misfortune.

Ever see the movie, "Who killed The Electric Car?"

Same thing. Corrupt Corporate America, destroyed the cars which would have been the forerunners in automobiles running on batteries.

Some people get the "Free Market" mixed up with fascist connections between government and corporate profits.

Just look at how much gain in wealth the top 1% has been enjoying the last years of Republican Control, and the Bush Tax cuts, while everyone else has been sliding into disaster.

I believe in America's capability to solve this problem. Those who want to put it off, are simply in the back pockets of corporate profits, against the best interests of the country.

Our health Care system, is a disgrace to humanity. Health for profit, will never be a good system. Anyone who cannot understand that simple fact, does not understand business, any more than they understand human nature.

The idea that we can compete against other countries who have bitten the bullet, and changed over to provide all of their citizens with health care, is absurd.

There are a range of reasons, health reasons, and otherwise, which highlight the importance of removiong dependence on oil, foreign or otherwise.

Universal Health Care should also be the goal, and without it, we will continue to slide in the quality of health care that we can acquire. We have far, far from the best health care results, that's for sure!

G.

pooltchr
03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[

There are a range of reasons, health reasons, and otherwise, which highlight the importance of removiong dependence on oil, foreign or otherwise.

Universal Health Care should be the goal, and without it, we will continue to slide in the quality of health care that we can acquire. We have far, far from the best health care results, that's for sure!

G. </div></div>

Please explain how passing healthcare is going to reduce our dependence on oil.

(I can't wait to hear this one!)

Steve

wolfdancer
03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
even you should know that she was not trying to connect the two, but made a writing error while trying to mention both problems in a single post.
Even Deeman, and myself...arguably, the two smartest USA people on this board, South of Luverne,Ala.....occasionally make a faux pas.
But then we have more on our plate then you have...world peace, end hunger, and settle once and for all ...who was the best silver surfer...
Nice try,to score against Gayle... but once again, an over reach on your part

pooltchr
03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
When I want your two cents worth, I will let you know. And you aren't even in the same class as Deeman when it comes to intelligence. Don't kid yourself!

Steve

Gayle in MD
03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> even you should know that she was not trying to connect the two, but made a writing error while trying to mention both problems in a single post.
Even Deeman, and myself...arguably, the two smartest USA people on this board, South of Luverne,Ala.....occasionally make a faux pas.
But then we have more on our plate then you have...world peace, end hunger, and settle once and for all ...who was the best silver surfer...
Nice try,to score against Gayle... but once again, an over reach on your part </div></div>

I don't read anything he writes.

I do wonder, however, how come he continues to get away with breaking the rules around here, advertising his pool lessons when it is against the rules of the forum.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

pooltchr
03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Petty jealousy does not become you, Gayle. It seems to trouble you greatly that someone can make a living doing something they enjoy.

But then, if my life was as miserable as yours, I might feel the same way.

Steve

wolfdancer
03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
He should get some new ad copy then.....cause it reads to me like:
??? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0)