PDA

View Full Version : Government waste. Little things add up quickly

pooltchr
03-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I got a letter in the mail yesterday from the government, informing me that I would be getting mail from them next week with my census form. I guess they wanted to make sure I would chack my mailbox. Apparently they don't believe the massive television advertising campaign is effective.

Anyway, it got me thinking. There are roughly 300 million people in the country. Let's be conservative and estimate that each household has an average of 4 people residing there. That is 75 million households. That means they sent out 75 million letters, used 75 million envelopes, and paid postage for 75 million letters. How many man hours were spent putting this mailing together, I have no idea. What is the cost of printing 75 million letters? Again, that is something I can't make an intelligent guess at. Cost of 75 million envelopes? Again, no idea. How much is postage? I'm sure bulk mail rates are pretty low, and the government probably gets a nice postage rate, since they own the post office.

So, justfor the heck of it, let's say it cost 10 cents for paper, envelopes, printing, stuffing and processing. And let's say they only paid 10 cents in postage. That's 20 cents times 75 million households. Total? That's $15 million dollars, to send mail out telling people they are going to send them some mail.

What world do these people live in????

Steve

sack316
03-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I did the census testing this year (both for enumerator and supervisor). Just from seeing how the testing was handled and done, any waste in this process does not shock me one bit. Remind me to go into more detail later when I have more time!

Sack

sack316
03-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Ha ha, I just got my letter to inform me that they'll be sending a letter next week! Lucky I got this notice, because they didn't send me anything last week to inform me about this one!

So as I said, I did the census testing. I couldn't even guess how much they are wasting in the process of simply hiring. For example, for the enumerator testing it is an allotted 4 hour deal. period. Doesn't matter, they are paying somebody to be there for 4 hours. Of course the whole information, application, and test process could be done in 1 hour, and at most 2. Nope, it was 4.

All of the stuff you are supposed to read before attending, the person giving the test reads to you all over again while there. Any applications or info you fill out on the online form is good to have to bring... but all those people still have to fill out everything again once there. The I-9 forms that take a few minutes to do, is filled out by EVERYONE there. Usually, that is done by only people that are hired and starting work. Nope, not in this case. Every applicant gets theirs done. Which the person giving the test must fill out a portion themselves, one at a time, during the process (there's one extra wasted hour right there, more or less depending on turnout for that days testing). Then there is a set time limit on the testing. Everybody got done prior to time expiring, and was just sitting there. But apparently the test process MUST go on until time expires, even if everybody gets done early. It is done on a scantron sheet (where you fill in the bubbles). I thought this would be a good timesaver, because they can just run it through the machine, and it grades it. Nope, they still sit there, grading each one by hand anyway.

On top of that, instead of streamlining the process of supervisor applicants, they do that as a complete separate testing on a different date. And the entire process given above, is repeated for that. So even though all of us that went and did the enumerator testing already had done every form needed except for the supervisor test itself, we again had a 4 hour thing, filling out every little thing a second time. Paying somebody to be there the whole time. And instead of using government buildings, they pay places (such as churches, fire depts, etc. for use of the space).

So factor in all the extra wasted paper, all the wasted payroll on having a very bulky and slow unnecessary process, the use of facilities... and spread that around every district, county, city, state, etc. around the country, and imagine how inefficient they are being with this.

Sack

pooltchr
03-12-2010, 08:33 AM
And when all is said and done, I'm willing to bet the census results still won't be accurate.

It would be much simpler to access the Social Security records and count how many active (read Living) people there are in the system.

Oops, never mind. I forgot that illegal aliens aren't in the system!

Here's another idea. Mail out a check to every man woman and child in the country. Count up how many get cashed. Anyone who didn't get their check would certainly make it known. Bingo, we have a more accurate count. And as I recall, the constitution only requires we count the number of people living in the country. They do not need all the other information on the form.

They are just building a huge database of everyone in the country for God knows what future use!

Steve

sack316
03-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Indeed. For what it's supposed to be for (accurate allocations of funds) I'd think all that's needed is people alive, where they live, marital status, dependents and ages of all in household.

Anything else is easily available elsewhere (like tax forms for instance).

A fun note... if you happen to live in a cave, or hollowed out tree or something of the sort... it is a dwelling and you must be counted and asked all the same questions. Nothing wrong with that, I just found it funny it was a point they mentioned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
03-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm married. Does the doghouse count as a legal residence??

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Steve