PDA

View Full Version : Physical & Mental Meltdown

Doctor_D
08-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Good evening:

Having maintained a Six (6) day a week pace between clients and pool, not including housework and domestic chores, for the better part of Fourteen (14) months, I have reached the point of physical and mental meltdown. Short of a Two (2) week vacation, which I can not take for another Two (2) months, how do each of you reverse this intollerable state?

Dr. D.

Ralph S.
08-18-2002, 07:10 PM
Well LOL, I just try to keep slugging away. I put in 84 hours per week at this time. That is just work alone. I work in a foundry so the heat and physical parts of the job really take their toll. Speaking of, I have to leave for work in about 25 minutes. Just keep goin Dr.D I know you are a strong willed person and will make it to that well deserved vacation. I have a lotta faith in ya.
Ralph S.

TomBrooklyn
08-18-2002, 07:32 PM
I find drinking copious amounts of beer from time to time helps provide a useful respite and relaxing interlude.

08-18-2002, 07:37 PM
I just keep on keeping on and know that tomorrow is a better day. And then I let my cue do the talking. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Oops. That was me.

I just keep on keeping on and know that tomorrow is a better day. And then I let my cue do the talking. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Harold Acosta
08-18-2002, 07:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good evening:

Having maintained a Six (6) day a week pace between clients and pool, not including housework and domestic chores, for the better part of Fourteen (14) months, I have reached the point of physical and mental meltdown. Short of a Two (2) week vacation, which I can not take for another Two (2) months, how do each of you reverse this intollerable state?

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

I've been doing 11 hour days, 5 days a week for the past month, plus another 8-10 hours on weekends! Have played pool once or twice in 4 months! I also need a vacation but it wont come until possibly October.

I try to keep it off my mind but it just doesn't work that way. I feel for ya' Doctor D!

Harold ~ hate getting up in the mornings these days!

Tom_In_Cincy
08-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Treasure you quiet times, take "mental" mini vactions, relax when it is possible.

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down.

Enjoy your successes at Work and Play.

And remember.. life is not a dress rehersial, every moment you have an opportunity to do something good.

Make good use of your quiet time..

Take a day off.. when you can.. and pamper yourself.

TalismanTony
08-18-2002, 08:58 PM
Dear Doctor_D,

6 days a week with clients and then catching up on housework and domestic chores sounds like a 7 day working week to me. Trying to build a new business myself for the last 3 years, I know all about those. What I suggest you should do is clear one day completely of all your usual "hassle" stuff and just relax. Pack a picnic basket and go sit somewhere with good fresh air and beautiful view. I know you're in NYC so you probably NEED to leave the city. If you can do that and then follow Tom's suggestions you'll make it through fine. Just make sure you do not cancel that 2 week vacation scheduled for 2 months time. Pushing yourself too hard, for too long will eventually result in lower efficiency and problems in all that you do (Work, home and playing pool!) not to mention the health problems that will come in hand in hand.

Kind regards,

CarolNYC
08-19-2002, 06:04 AM
Dr. D,
I am a 24/7 person-YOU MUST TAKE TIME to PAMPER yourself-a day at a spa-once a month-body wraps,facials,pedicures,manicures-camomile tea and a bubble bath and sleep in satin!
Make the time! Your worth it!
Carol

cheesemouse
08-19-2002, 06:19 AM

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>
Delegate...delegate....delegate. Take care of #1.

Rich R.
08-19-2002, 06:29 AM
I work six days a week on a regular basis and have many other things to do after work, so I know your situation well.
Sometimes, "less is more."
Although not always possible, especially in your line of work, try to take a break from your work periodically through the day. It clears the mind and helps the body.
In pool, I know your goals are high, but you may want to take a little break from your rigid practice schedual. Cut a session short or just play some with a friend, instead of doing drills. Some relaxed play, a good drink and some friendly chat will do wonders.
The lack of the relaxation will, eventually, lead to health problems.
Rich R.

Kato
08-19-2002, 07:01 AM
Rest Diana, Please Rest.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
08-19-2002, 08:10 AM

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

I agree with WW. Lay off pool practice for a couple weeks. Believe it or not it could very well help your game.

Chris Cass
08-19-2002, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Treasure you quiet times, take "mental" mini vactions, relax when it is possible.

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down.

Enjoy your successes at Work and Play.

And remember.. life is not a dress rehersial, every moment you have an opportunity to do something good.

Make good use of your quiet time..

Take a day off.. when you can.. and pamper yourself.
<hr></blockquote>

Great advice Tom. I hope Dr. D. listens to all this stuff. People think their bodies and mind can take all this work, they can't. Eventually somethings got to give.

Regards,

C.C.

Eric.
08-19-2002, 08:38 AM
Hi Dr. D,

I tend to have crazy hours too, so I can relate. I think one thing that gets us all is that we all know how to cram more work into free time. We need to cram more free time into our work. I try to be "opportunistic" when there is a chance to do something relaxing. I know it's hard to schedule free time, I jump on it when it comes around. Sometimes there is more chances than others, I try not to pass it up. Also, with a tight schedule, that one open day is damn precious, make it a priority not to work on that day. Either way, it's a tough nut to crack, I hope you find something that works for you.

Eric &gt;Stress-the need to choke some deserving jerk

Fran Crimi
08-19-2002, 09:02 AM
I can relate, Diana. I think a big problem is that we tend to train ourselves to feel guilty when we are not doing what we are supposed to be doing. I find it interesting in how in the days leading up to my boating outing with Carol I would find myself feeling guilty about going because of the things I would be neglecting that day. One side of my brain said "You really need to cancel and catch up on your work." Thankfully, the other side won out which said, "Don't be an idiot. The world won't come to an end if you go out and have fun for a day."

I think you have to reprogram yourself to include taking breaks from the madness as some of the things you're SUPPOSED to do.

It's OK to let the obligations take a back seat occasionally, and you'll find to your suprise that it won't all fall apart if you do that.

Fran

08-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Diana, knowing you somewhat, I'm aware of how hard you've been pushing yourself in terms of your pool game - not to mention your normal professional life plus all the other daily things we are all responsible for in our lives and our family's lives.

Although you can take your pool game passionately and seriously as I know you do, as you are a professional in another field POOL is something that should provide a relaxing and pleasureable release for you. My advice would be not to take your pool game so intensely (and your push for continued rapid accellerated improvement) that it in itself becomes a job and yet another burden in your life. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of possibly neglecting and doing harm to these other important aspects of your life and/or you'll burn out and eventually give up the game altogether.

Diana, if you're not really looking forward to a practice session one day, take a break for a few days or even a few weeks. Your fundamentals are solid - so it won't hurt your game at all. You'll return very refreshed and rejuvenated - and it will also bring back your possibly waning love and passion for the game.

Pool is just like anything else - we can become addicted to it to the point that it is unhealthy for us and can affect our careers - not to mention our relationships with those around us who we care about. The bottom line is that pool is just a game, and it's sometimes necessary to remind ourselves of the real priorities in our lives.

I have to keep reminding myself this, because as a pool addict myself I've often made (and continue to make) selfish decisions for the love of my pool game - at the expense of my business and my family. The game has given me back so much in return, but it is a continuing constant struggle to keep it all in balance! - Chris in NC

Holly
08-19-2002, 09:55 AM
Hi D,

As you know...I am a similar creature in the over extend myself catagory and push myself too hard species as yourself. I don't think I would have survived, well most of the time anyway if I didn't set aside, sort of schedule a date with myself to relax, rest, and do nothing.

As you know also, I practice meditation pretty seriously. It helps in developing a relaxed frame of mind and a keener sense of focus in general. I am a firm believer in quieting the mind and spirit daily to re-energize ourselves. It has also had an incredible influence in the past year on how I percieve and handle stressful moments in life.

I totally agree with Fran to that many of us program ourselves to feel guilt if we are not always "doing something" or "being productive". I use to suffer from that and on occassion still do, but whenever I feel that way now I remind myself that I am actually less effective, happy and productive in my life if I stress myself out like that then my focus is on the guilt and not on accomplishing the goals and tasks I set for myself.

Hol

bluewolf
08-19-2002, 10:10 AM

Dr. D.

write A LIST of your priorities with the most important stuff at the top. here are the first three

8 hours to sleep
3 meals a day
2 hours per day just for you to chill
1 day for you a week with no work or pool
[set your other priorities in order]

once you set your first three priorities above and make your list, if the list exceeds 13 hours per day [8 sleep, 2 chill,i hour food]

you gotta dump something.if there is nothing you can dump, you gotta cut back.for instance, one day of not seeing clients, 1-2 less days per week for pool, pay for someone to clean your house, how you do this is up to you. but just remeber, you only have 13 hours per day and six days(preferably 5 to do all this)

if you lose your health or sanity, you will get nowhere in pool and no clients will be seen. you gotta take care of you first!

just my personal advice

for ex whitewolf and I. work 8 hrs perday, pool 3 times a week, when my table is here, we can play when we feel like it.we have 2 nights a week to chill and the weekends are ours. we are choosing to spend one of those for the ccb tournament but we do not do this everyweekend.

we sleep 8 hours a night, get up walk the dogs, eat breakfast, go to work, come home, walk dogs, eat and chill. when we play pool we do it together so we are still having fun.that is it. when i play pool, i have a mantra "pool is a game, games are fun".

i am on this planet to help others, taste as much of life as i can and have fun.pool is a game, one that i am having fun improving but if it ever stops being fun, causes more stress than joy, i wont play it anymore. i lonly have one life and i plan to have as much fun as i can.

my dogs are fun.running is fun. karate workouts are fun.pool is fun. watching scifi with my husband is fun.art is fun and i guess i could go on and on.

bluewolf

SPetty
08-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Hi D,

Please re-read Tom_in_Cincy's and Kato's answers. They nailed it. Good luck and take care.

PQQLK9
08-19-2002, 11:32 AM
"Just Do It"

socrates
08-19-2002, 11:38 AM
When you sit - sit; When you stand - stand; Whatever you do don't wobble. Zen Saying

He did each thing as if he did nothing else. Charles Dickens.

Point One is whatever task you are undertaking focus only on that task. If you feel you should be doing something else then you have not prioritized your tasks in harmony with your spirit.

Point 2 - Value the usefulness of doing nothing. When I find my life harried (Even if they are all things that are enjoyable and I want to do) the pace of your day can be draining. Take an hour for yourself - sit with no T.V. no radio no distractions. I do my martial arts stretches when I take these nothing breaks and its amazing how this can recharge your batteries.

OK enough philosophy. Good Luck.

rackmup
08-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Hi Dr.D,

Let me first say I am sorry that you are going through this temporary period of blahs and yawns. You know all too well what I have been through the last few months. This is what I did (and continue to do):

I find peace in church. I am not a bible-toting-street-corner-preaching-nut either. It is just a peaceful place that allows me to escape the day-to-day grind of my current situation.

I read instead of heading to the tables on those days when I know I cannot focus.

I talk to my dogs. They rarely answer though. They DO listen.

I take drives, look at houses and eat chicken-fried steaks at family-owned local restaurants.

Drink sweet iced tea. It calms the soul.

Try these for now. Report back to me with any further issues.

Love ya!

Ken (the ex)

CarolNYC
08-19-2002, 12:39 PM
Fran,
Im grateful I DID NOT have start singing,"the ship set ground on the shore of the barbed-wired RIKERS ISLAND!" ha ha ha-but,seriously,Dr. D, please take time out!If you are overworked and overstressed, your performance level will be at a low!
Feel better!
Carol

08-19-2002, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> Fran

"The world won't come to an end if you go out and have fun for a day." <hr></blockquote>

Truer words were never spoken.

I like the resopnses from you and Chris A.

The related question, I know we've discussed it before but it's been a while. Don't you think it's good to get away from the game for a few days or a few weeks? Speaking strictly anecdotally and from my own experience, I know it has helped me.

Vagabond
08-19-2002, 08:04 PM
Howdy,
(1) stay in a hotel like me.use disposables- like paper plates etc.This way u can avoid domestic chores.
(2)Play in your neighborhood pool room instead of going to Amsterdam Billiards and u can avoid traffic hasseles and save parking fees.
(3) work only 5 days( 9 to 5) a week and tell your clients that you will meet them in pool hall to conduct the buisiness.Most of the buisiness is done in golf courses and u can set a new trend.
This should help u.cheers
vagabond

08-20-2002, 08:30 AM
Sure, I absolutely agree, Wally. Too much of one thing can get you stale. I think that breaks help you get perspective and can give you a fresh outlook.

Fran

heater451
08-20-2002, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> . . .I think a big problem is that we tend to train ourselves to feel guilty when we are not doing what we are supposed to be doing.<hr></blockquote>Have you ever noticed that we got stuck with giving up 8 hrs of 24 to work, which should leave us with 8 for play, and 8 for sleep, but you never seem to get "a full 8 hrs" sleep, and all the other Life crap comes out of our "play" time?

Take, for instance, commuting--shouldn't our workplace(s) have to eat 1/2 of that time? What about when you're stuck in traffic for an extra hour or two?

And, like you said, we're trained to feel guilty about not getting enough 'work' done!?

You would think that with modern technology, we would be finding ways to make life easier on ourselves, and not how to cram more work in. . . .

Remember the old bit about "no one ever wish they'd spent more time at the office, at the end of their life"--you gotta TAKE the time, because no one'll ever give it to you!

Okay--off my soapbox for the day. . . .

=====================

Wally_in_Cincy
08-20-2002, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr> . . .I think a big problem is that we tend to train ourselves to feel guilty when we are not doing what we are supposed to be doing.&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Have you ever noticed that we got stuck with giving up 8 hrs of 24 to work, which should leave us with 8 for play, and 8 for sleep, but you never seem to get "a full 8 hrs" sleep, and all the other Life crap comes out of our "play" time?

Take, for instance, commuting--shouldn't our workplace(s) have to eat 1/2 of that time? What about when you're stuck in traffic for an extra hour or two?

And, like you said, we're trained to feel guilty about not getting enough 'work' done!?

You would think that with modern technology, we would be finding ways to make life easier on ourselves, and not how to cram more work in. . . .

Remember the old bit about "no one ever wish they'd spent more time at the office, at the end of their life"--you gotta TAKE the time, because no one'll ever give it to you!

Okay--off my soapbox for the day. . . .

=====================

<hr></blockquote>

On 9/11/2001 nobody on those planes called the office to check in. They called family and friends.

TomBrooklyn
08-20-2002, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr> Have you ever noticed that we got stuck with giving up 8 hrs of 24 to work, and 8 for sleep, but you never seem to get "a full 8 hrs" sleep, and all the other Life crap comes out of our "play" time?

Shouldn't our workplace have to eat 1/2 of that time?

You would think that with modern technology, we would be finding ways to make life easier on ourselves<hr></blockquote><font color=red>VOTE</font color=red> FOR PATRICK <font color=blue>FOR PRESIDENT!</font color=blue>

Doctor_D
08-21-2002, 04:58 AM
Good morning:

Thank-you, one and all, for all you insights and recommendations. Many times, when you are too close to an issue, it is had to look at it objectively.

I have scheduled some "Open" days, NO work and NO pool, over the next few weeks. Vacation planning is still tentative as I have yet to device where I will be going. However, I have booked a Three (3) day weekend at a Victorian Bed &amp; Breakfast Inn in historic Cape May in December. Cape May, through-out the holiday season, is literally a winter wonderland of decorations, hospitality and a very relaxed pace.

Thank-you again...

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

bluewolf
08-21-2002, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

Thank-you, one and all, for all you insights and recommendations. Many times, when you are too close to an issue, it is had to look at it objectively.

I have scheduled some "Open" days, NO work and NO pool, over the next few weeks. Vacation planning is still tentative as I have yet to device where I will be going. However, I have booked a Three (3) day weekend at a Victorian Bed &amp; Breakfast Inn in historic Cape May in December. Cape May, through-out the holiday season, is literally a winter wonderland of decorations, hospitality and a very relaxed pace.

Thank-you again...

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Good for you, Dr. D. i am sure you will feel better for it..

bluewolf