PDA

View Full Version : APA Nationals

Dug1903
03-14-2010, 11:03 AM
First time going to APA Nationals. Any advise or tips? thanks

Rich R.
03-14-2010, 07:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dug1903</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First time going to APA Nationals. Any advise or tips? thanks </div></div>

Don't miss. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

gabeski
03-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Have fun!!

Dug1903
03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
thanks I will

Dug1903
03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
thanks I will

LAMas
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Stop sandbagging.

Fran Crimi
03-31-2010, 06:24 AM
Decide whether you want to be there to socialize or to compete.

Dug1903
04-11-2010, 07:49 AM
now that's good advice. That has crossed my mind a little. I want to play well and concentrate but have some fun too. Maybe a fine line.

Dug1903
04-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Never bagged a game, match or session in my life. But thanks for the tip!

Fran Crimi
04-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Maybe you should think about your mindset going into the event. What should the fun part be? Shouldn't it be the playing part? If you're playing well, it's fun. Buddy Hall once told me that. He said you can't play well if you're not having fun playing. I don't mean socializing while playing. I mean enjoying the experience of playing.

As for socializing, even away from competition, it drains your energy. Not that it's a bad thing as long as you have sufficient time to recover. If you don't, then you may wind up playing tired.

And as for sociailizing while competing? (Not that you would.) Never. That's competitive suicide.

Dug1903
04-11-2010, 09:37 AM
A friend of mine had a similar discussion on that topic coming home from the Valley state tourn. I play mostly leagues not many tournaments. Mainly because they last way late or tie up an entire weekend. But there is a different mindset going into a singles tourn. as opposed to league night. I've been trying to get into a tourn. mindset. Thanks so much for your insight.

Fran Crimi
04-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Happy to help. Have a great time.

Qtec
04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But there is <u>a different mindset</u> going into a singles tourn. as opposed to league night. </div></div>

No there isn't.
Just because you <u>make</u> it different in your head, doesn't mean to say that it is so.

Qtec

Sid_Vicious
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Interesting analogy, and correct too. Thing is though Fran, general players coming into competition have arrived from a job, a wife/husband/lover and/or kids, plus many are dealing with personal health problems which keep them off kilter at the first stroke of the first game. I personally begin totally out of play-shape involuntarily for play much of the times, that's the cards life dealt me over the last 12 hours. The socializing gets me spunky. Am I a serious player?, no. I'll tell you this though, I suck worse when I try to play through what life happened to give me that day. Just a bad night's rest, and a bad night's sleep is far more common than you'd think, is an Achilles heel, which(to me) is helped by a lot of socializing, even foolishly.

APA will never be a venue I elect to play anyway,,,way too much BS in assigning players in rounds. APA sucks! Even BCA though needs socializing in my personal opinion. Pool is a game, game meaning fun. I feel sorry for those players who remain stone cold. It won't last over time, and can't be genuine fun in the mean time. jm2c sid

overtaker
04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Good luck Dug, will be there myself but on the other side of the scene. Hope you have a great time and play well. The fact that you won a local singles board and won your regional board says a lot about your ability to focus. don't worry about it just enjoy the tournament and have a great time in Las Vegas. Thousands and thousands tried to make it to the championships but only a few will be there.

Dug1903
04-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Qtec, You are right. Maybe it's my inexperience in tourn. play that makes me feel think differently. I feel I need to concentrate harder because there's more at stake like going home! It's just a different feeling than league nights. Thanks for your post. Don't know if this will go under your reply or not. I'm kinda new to this post and reply thing.

Dug1903
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Fran, Sid, and Overtaker thanks for the replys. you've all given me something to think about. I appreciate the serious responses. I'm gonna play my best and see how far I get. It's gonna be cool just being there and being a part of the whole scene.

JJFSTAR
04-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Sorry Sid, No offense intended but; I don’t think you can say that you have played for $100 a set and still say “I am not a serious player”