PDA

View Full Version : Aim point on object ball

Madmax1100
03-15-2010, 04:59 PM
This is probably the most stupidest post ever but one that I have to ask. I am in no way trying to be funny with this question. Has anyone ever heard of aiming at the reflection of light on the object ball from the overhead dome light above the table? A guy at the VFW post says it is what he has been using for years and he is actually a pretty decent player. I myself am not a very good player.

pooltchr
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
It's been discussed on more than one occasion. The general feeling seems to be that it's not an accurate way to aim. Consider that the lights are quite often different as to how they are positioned over the table, how many bulbs different lights have, how high they are over the table, how far above the table different players position their head, and you start to see very quickly that the reflected light on the balls is going to be pretty inconsistant.

Steve

Madmax1100
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks Steve.

cushioncrawler
03-15-2010, 06:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madmax1100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is probably the most stupidest post ever but one that I have to ask. I am in no way trying to be funny with this question. Has anyone ever heard of aiming at the reflection of light on the object ball from the overhead dome light above the table? A guy at the VFW post says it is what he has been using for years and he is actually a pretty decent player. I myself am not a very good player.</div></div>I am thinking that it iz ok to aim at the reflexion (of the single dome light) if u hav a dead straight pot.
A teamMate showed me how he aimed for the reflexion of hiz Qball when he had a straight pot, ie when the Qball woz close to the Oball.
madMac.

Madmax1100
03-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks Cushioncrawler

wolfdancer
03-15-2010, 07:22 PM
That was one of the first "tips" that I ever heard, way back in 1989, and my first pool hall...ever.
The accompanying tip to that (and this only works with the old warehouse type 3 light system)....you aimed at the converging point of the shadows created by the overhead lights.
But why aim at something like either of those two things, when they aren't easily connected visually to the target (pocket), and offer no feedback, to imprint any , uh...muscle/target memory.. itself?
The actual contact point can be easily ascertained with a visual check
However, I don't aim at points anymore though...as thanks to Hal Houle and his amazing half ball system...angles are easier to see then spots, although the "spot on the wall" kicking system still holds up....
On a bar table you can make most shots with just 5 aiming points on the CB, adjusting slightly for windage and slope.....
I also can barely run 3 balls, starting out with BIH...so take my advice with a caveat...
The half ball aiming method is shown on Youtube...as are probably even more "dead nuts" aiming methods.

Madmax1100
03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys. At least I don't feel stupid for asking the question. It seems to me that there are some people out there that actually heard of this theory. He did say that it was not that effective in all sorts of lighting. He said it worked best with the one light in a dome over the table which we have at the VFW post where I shoot. In any event, it seemed to be a good topic to throw out there and I am surprised at the various responses I received. Thanks again.

cushioncrawler
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That was one of the first "tips" that I ever heard, way back in 1989, and my first pool hall...ever.
The accompanying tip to that (and this only works with the old warehouse type 3 light system)....you aimed at the converging point of the shadows created by the overhead lights.
But why aim at something like either of those two things, when they aren't easily connected visually to the target (pocket), and offer no feedback, to imprint any , uh...muscle/target memory.. itself? The actual contact point can be easily ascertained with a visual check However, I don't aim at points anymore though...as thanks to Hal Houle and his amazing half ball system...angles are easier to see then spots, although the "spot on the wall" kicking system still holds up....
On a bar table you can make most shots with just 5 aiming points on the CB, adjusting slightly for windage and slope.....
I also can barely run 3 balls, starting out with BIH...so take my advice with a caveat... The half ball aiming method is shown on Youtube...as are probably even more "dead nuts" aiming methods.</div></div>Woofly -- There iz only one aiming point on the Oball, for all shots.
madMac.

dr_dave
03-16-2010, 03:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madmax1100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is probably the most stupidest post ever but one that I have to ask. I am in no way trying to be funny with this question. Has anyone ever heard of aiming at the reflection of light on the object ball from the overhead dome light above the table? A guy at the VFW post says it is what he has been using for years and he is actually a pretty decent player. I myself am not a very good player. </div></div>FYI, Bob Jewett has a good article on this topic here:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2004-06.pdf

Enjoy,
Dave

Bambu
03-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Just my opinion, but learning almost any other method would be more effective in the long run. Using the light may be legitimate, but might also be the most unpopular amongst players. Lighting conditions vary, and change all the time...too inconsistent.

Gayle in MD
03-17-2010, 02:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madmax1100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is probably the most stupidest post ever but one that I have to ask. I am in no way trying to be funny with this question. Has anyone ever heard of aiming at the reflection of light on the object ball from the overhead dome light above the table? A guy at the VFW post says it is what he has been using for years and he is actually a pretty decent player. I myself am not a very good player. </div></div>FYI, Bob Jewett has a good article on this topic here:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2004-06.pdf

Enjoy,
Dave </div></div>

Thanks for the link, Dr. Dave. I think Mr. Jewett's advice at the end of the article, may be the best of all...give up aiming systems and rely on your feel for the angles. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Madmax1100
03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I want to thank all of you for the input. Myself, I have found it to work and then not to work, so it seems as it is an inconsistent method of aiming, albeit it opened up a lot of discussion.

Madmax1100
03-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks Bambu, I will take your advice and find an alternative method.