PDA

View Full Version : Liberals must be smarter than conservatives!

Deeman3
03-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, the title is just a trap to tell my most recent story. This Friday the Jackson Five, our group of one pocket addicts that meet on occasion around the country are going to New Orleans, a small coastal town on the Gulf that experienced a bit of flooding five years ago. Ace, me and whomever else makes it will contribute a little to the economic recovery of the town. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

All that aside, I was preparing for a nice weekend of leisure last Friday morning when I got a call from my most liberal friend, we can call him Steve, as that is his name. Steve is the Chief Economist for a large University in the state and we had become friends over the past few years as we attended a couple of economic events, share a love of flying and I had even invited him to a golfing off-site to speak to my managers and play in our event in Florida last year. Now, Steve’s wife, we will call he Emma, because she is not named Lilith, is even further left than Steve and is famous, at least in my circle, for proudly displaying the results of Steve’s most recent investment in her breast augmentation, last Summer at a small gathering of our little group while watching the Cardinals get stomped by the Mets but that is another story.

Steve called to “invite” me and the DeeWoman to join him and Emma on a short trip to Miami to see their off-spring, Shelly, perform in Shakespeare’s “The Tempest.” O.K. We had no earth shattering plans but why us, why so last minute? Turns out Steve had borrowed a Cherokee 6 from a pal but, wonder of wonders, the weather was not cooperating on Friday and Steve is not IFR (Instrument Flight Rated). In other words, he can’t fly through low visibility conditions. Of course, who can? Moi!

The reason for this long way to the story is that while travelling to the airport (the subject plane was in Montgomery) we were listening to NPR, not a listen in to CCB but National Public Radio. They were doing a story about how 47% of black women have Herpes Simplex B, and that over half the black women in the U.S. have an STD. Steve made the comment that “Now we know why Tiger only dates white women!” Well, leave me outta this but Emma took instant liberal offense and Steve had to boy up and apologize. I guess he wanted to make sure she didn’t restrict his viewing of her fairly new ta-ta’s! Anyway, Health care then came up, much to everyone’s delight. Seems both Steve and Emma think that people who smoke, are fat and make poor health decisions should be charged higher life insurance and health insurance premiums. However, the fact that certain minority women are several times the risk of getting HIV positive, a consequence of having the other STD’s should not change their insurance rating, even though risky behavior contributed to their present situation! Now, they even go so far as to say that, in the case of obese minority women, they should not face higher health care premiums. Even the fact that they are several times more likely to bare multiple children making them an even higher risk is not a valid reason to increase their bills.

So, aside from Tiger making the obvious correct choices in mating with less infected ladies, who is right here?

Steve threatened to lurk in here today to see my post and actually sign up and set me straight if I get many of the facts wrong. So, in the interest of ending the story, Shelly was brilliant in the play. The last time I saw the “Tempest” was in Memphis in about 1980 when my gay cousin, now dead from Aids, played a fairy, yes, a fairy in the play and, at 6’6” and weighing only 145 lbs. forever cemented to his dad, an Arkansas conservative farmer, the fact that his only son was not only gay but flaming gay in playing that role. For the record, Shelly is not gay and no gays, to my knowledge were harmed in this production of “The Tempest.” /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
All-in-all, I was outsmarted last weekend by a very liberal but nice guy, Steve. He did, however, pick up the tab for the tickets and the dinner after the play. Pretty good for a guy on a professor’s salary. He did leave his buddy’s plane bone dry of fuel just for full disclosure. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Anyone in New Orleans this weekend, give us a call.

wolfdancer
03-17-2010, 09:00 AM
I can believe most of the story....that you have liberal friends, that Steve's wife had the surgery, and that your Harley is instrument rated, as are you. ( knew there was a reason, I ended my flying career after only one lesson, taken in Dayton, Ohio (true))
The part that I can't believe is.....Shakespeare...in Memphis????

Deeman3
03-17-2010, 09:35 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

You doubt the cultural development of Elvis's and my hometown? Gee, just because the storm on the ship was replaced by a title wave hitting a bass boat is no reason to diminish the experience we all had! After all, was it not one of his most famous characters who said, "say the word and I will no longer be a Capulet, y'all!" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
03-17-2010, 09:57 AM
But how did they react when you pointed out their failure to apply the same standards of paying for healthcare to all the "at risk" groups?

Steve

Deeman3
03-17-2010, 10:41 AM
They had no reasonable answer to that beyond the fact that most minoroties are not equiped to make good decisions on sex or eating decisions, which I pointed out sounded a little racist on it's face.

Of course, being educators, these are the same people who feel, despite the fact they admit the number one problem with educating kids is there having horrible role models at home and in the community think more money is the answer. They are supporting not having charter schools because the teacher's unions say it will take away funding from already failing schools (translation: incompetent teachers may not have job for life protection, my words, not their's).

Steve is a smart guy, I know. he understands more about the nuance of finance and the economy than I ever will. He even understands how we keep oppressing minorities by pretending toi hep them for votes but has a soft spot for overlooking the practical solutions to poverty, health and education. If he will sign up here, I'll let him tell you more but, aside from having a tough time in a cross wind landing, he can defend himself pretty well. He does know I call his beautiful wife a loon, to her face and she calls me a Neandertal with great hair. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
03-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I can relate to problems with cross wind landings, having taken part in landing a twin beech-18 tail dragger at JFK behind a jumob that was reporting severe turbulance on final in front of us! (It took two of us to manhandle the plane!)
You haven't lived until you have ground looped a tail dragger!!!

Steve

Sev
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Sounds like you had a great conversation.
Its interesting to see where people stand when it comes down to the brass tacks.
While I dont believe people should be completely denied health coverage because of risky behavior or preconditions, I also do not believe they should pay the same premiums as individuals that treat their bodies as temples. Health conscious individuals should be rewarded for their diligence.

Sev
03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
If you have ever landed in St. Barths you know its a real treat.

pooltchr
03-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I've never had the pleasure, but I have been close enough to the tree tops to count the pine cones flying into Roanoke!

Steve

Sev
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
HAHHAHA!!

In St. Barths one wrong move will put into the face of a mountain or into the ocean depending on the direction the pilot comes in at.
Its was always entertaining. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
03-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I used to work at a private airport. The single runway was surrounded by mountains on 3 sides, so there was only one viable approach, which happened to require clearing some high tension power lines before dropping down to the runway. No ILS, and most of the runway lights were usually burned out. Night landing were partucularly challenging!

Steve

Sev
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Quite exciting I would imagine.

In St Barths if you are coming over the mountains and heading towards the sea the craft has to go into a nose dive in order to have enough length of runway.

I'd be laying on the beach minding my own business only to see another plane roll into the ocean. Really quite funny to see.

pooltchr
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Runways like that are the reason Shorts made so many STOL planes!

Steve

Deeman3
03-17-2010, 12:34 PM
The most exciting commercial landing I used to make was coming into Hong Kong where it almost seemed we had to turn the aircraft to make the wings clear the buildings. Of course, I was NOT the pilot...

The worst cross winder I ever made was in a storm at Memphis downtown airport. I was in Moony 21a and I promise the port gear did not touch the ground until we were alomost stopped! I only had about 160 hours at the time and my buddy, another young pilot who actually had a landing strip in his back yard, a large East Memphis home, had a little "accident" as we landed. I would have peed myself as well but after sneaking in under a thunder storm and banging my head against the cabin roof for about a half hour, I had no more liquids in my body at the time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I only few a couple of taildraggers in my early days but did not ever grow to like them. Something about being able to settle back with trike gear and ease into the landing makes a power landing less than attractive. An admition only an American Airlines pilot might make; On my first cross-country solo, I flew from Memphis to Helena, Arkanses, my hometown. I got lost. I was so nervous that I just followed the Mississippi South and turned right at the first bridge. On my way back I just came up the river and turned right over Allen Steam Plant and just searched out Memphis International Airport. God looks out for some young fools. Note: for all of you who may fly witht me, I have not done that in over 35 years! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sev
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
One of the funniest momements was when I has was flying into St Louis. I was at the Tantara Marriott on the lake of the Ozarks. The connection flight was on a twin engine puddle jumper. Well as we were heading to St Louis we hit an air pocket. The plane dropped like a rock. The funny thing about it was that I looked accross the isle and a rather stocky guy was sitting in the lap of fairly petite fellow and hanging on for dear life. I was waiting for him to scream "Mommy!!"

I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

pooltchr
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
The worst thing about the B-18's was that you couldn't see out the windshield when your were taxing or rolling down the runway until you got up enough speed to lift the tail. That, and those big rotary engines thundering away 15 feet away from the cockpit! A good headset was considered survival gear!!

Steve

wolfdancer
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
yes, we are...and good of you to notice, even though it must be painfully obvious after reading some of the posts here. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Deeman3
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif