PDA

View Full Version : Bar Box leagues...

rackmup
08-19-2002, 05:30 AM
OnePocketChamp (Les) and I were invited to play on a Sunday bar-box league. We played our first match yesterday and it was the first time I had played on a bar table in over six months. Man! It seemed so small! I felt like I was playing on the top of a small dinette table. When I would break, it seemed as though my cue would hit the end rail on the follow through.

Pool rooms spoil us, even though we still complain about table conditions. We should all (most of us, anyway) remember our "roots"...I mean, most of us were introduced to the game on bar tables and they are usually in much worse condition than any 9-footer in a pool hall. Yesterday, the tables we played on had huge clumps of green "lint" on them, the chalk was terrible and the tables were covered with hand powder. Not to mention trying to jump that 4 1/2 pound cueball with a JC!

And talk about tight quarters! When I would bend over to shoot, my butt was in more faces than a drunk blonde on amateur night at a strip club! Other obstacles included beer bottles sitting on tables, one wall and a "Crock Pot" full of beans (they fed us roast beef, potato salad and beans so I shouldn't complain.)

Any other CCB'ers playin' on them kiddie tables?

Regards,

Ken

cheesemouse
08-19-2002, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Any other CCB'ers playin' on them kiddie tables?
<hr></blockquote>
Yes and the conditions are beyound belief if your used to poolhalls or a good home table. I spent years whinning and bitching then finally resigned myself and just try and have some fun with the guys/gals that really don't care about conditions of play[ mosts league players fall into this catagory in my area]. In one bar you have to count the people on one side of the room then compare that number with the ones on the other side of the room then make an educated guess as the weight of each group then figure out the roll of the table accordingly, this adds a demension to the game which is kind of fun..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-19-2002, 07:47 PM
I play on a BCA sanctioned bar league on Wednesday nights. We go to different bars in Manhattan so we get our share of "unique" tables. Some of them aren't so bad, but others...Whew! You'd be better off playing on your living room rug! There was one table I played on once that had burgundy felt (garrish, don't you think?) and instead of lights above the table, they were burning candles! So between the ball's shadows flickering here and there and not being able to tell if I was shooting at the 8 or 2, and then having the 7 ball drown in the felt, you'd think I was having a bad "trip"--and I wasn't even drinking! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

08-19-2002, 08:59 PM
wow... I have never played in a bar that had candles over the table, but I have played in one where the floor was weak and the balls rolled to the heavy side of the room. I have however had to open the mens room door to get a good shot off of the head rail. And some of the cue balls that these bar tables out here in Pennsylvania use should have 3 finger holes in...

Elvis
08-19-2002, 09:19 PM
I drive 1 1/2 hours on Wednesday nights and 2 hours on Thursday nights to play on decent tables. Stopped playing in the league where I live because of the tables and management. Example: Two tables, 5-6 feet apart, both rolled like a shaggy putting green and they shared the same light hanging between them (which usually had 1 of the three bulbs burnt out).