PDA

View Full Version : Nickel & Dime radius

Madmax1100
03-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Being a somewhat novice at the game, can someone suggest what shape tip one should have as a novice and also what is the major difference between a nickel or dime radius on cue tips.? i.e. How does it affect the cb when struck? Are new cue sticks purchased able to be played out of the box or does the tip have to be sized with let's say, the Ultimate Cue Tip Tool?

doncartmill
03-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Grinding the tip curvature to match the curvature you would see if you were to hold a nickle or a dime behind/or in front of your tip. The nickle curve being a little less curved will be a little more forgiving on attempts at "NO" english. On shots where you are attempting to put english...the smaller dime radius will produce more english with the same off set. This because if you were to sight at a point on the cue ball (thru the center of your tip) the smaller radius would actually make contact closer to that point,than would the larger nickle radius, and thus produce more english.(The Nickle rad would contact closer to center of cue ball producing less english for the same sighting off set) I think you will find that most tips purchased will come with a larger radius ( nickle or even a quarter ) from which you can round off to your desired radius.
I do not have a sophisticated set up for doing this ,but have found that after glueing my tip and it has completely cured/dried. I use a small hand held Dremmel grinder, rest the butt of my cue or shaft in v shape ( stand a shoe up at an angle and rest shaft in the heel...as you can see NOT sophisticated at all ) and sitting down with elbows steadied on my knees,the shaft pointed straight back at me ,my head above looking down, holding the shaft in one hand the grinder in my other...I then bring the grinder in to lightly touch the tip and at the same time rotate the shaft with my other hand so that I grind around the tip in one path. If you work carefully,not taking too much off with each pass, you can do as they say ( good enough for government work )

DeadCrab
03-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Get a Willard shaper, both nickle and dime radius, and see which you prefer.

http://www.amazon.com/Willards-Shaper-Champ-Dime/dp/B000WQYBKC

gabeski
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
i really would recomend against the Dremel method (to easy to mess up and ruin a tip). There are a number of tools on the market that work very well, the Willard, the cue cube, the ultimate tip tool and others, all very good and easy to use, most available on a lot of pool related sites.

gabeski
03-18-2010, 10:14 AM
i really would recomend against the Dremel method (to easy to mess up and ruin a tip). There are a number of tools on the market that work very well, the Willard, the cue cube, the ultimate tip tool and others, all very good and easy to use, most available on a lot of pool related sites.