PDA

View Full Version : Cuticle inflammation/pain on bridge hand?

phil in sofla
08-19-2002, 08:14 AM
I'm entirely neglectful of my cuticles, which tend to dry up, split off, and end up getting cut off or bitten off (hey, I don't bite my nails, at least!).

Out of nowhere, and not to my mind related to any such condition, my middle finger on my bridge hand became very swollen toward the nail's edge on one side, red and puffed out, making it too painful to bridge normally, unable to put any pressure on that finger or use a closed bridge.

After working around that with odd bridging, a couple of days later it drained, reducing the pressure, and I'm using an antibacterial ointment to help clear out the infection.

I was thinking maybe an ingrown nail could have caused it, but I don't seem to have any involvement of the edge of the nail into the skin. Maybe I had a stray cuticle that I peeled off, making a small defect in the skin allowing this to occur, but not that I remember or not as it looks.

Ever happen to you? Any idea what allowed/caused this to happen? I'd like to avoid it in the future, so I'm going to do a little preventive care there, like maybe using a hand cream on the nail area, whatever. But I'm not sure that caused it, or would prevent it.

Kato
08-19-2002, 08:35 AM
Phil, at the risk of sounding like a pansy here is what I do. Every Wednesday I give myself a manicure (no nail polish or anything), clip, file, work the cuticles. Every night and every morning I use hand cream for softness. As a person who bit their nails since I got teeth it's a big deal to me to keep my nails at least half way decent. It's also important to me because I need to know my nail on my index finger is digging into my thumb to know my bridge is firm.

Kato~~~probably not helping.

08-19-2002, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> I'm entirely neglectful of my cuticles, which tend to dry up, split off, and end up getting cut off or bitten off (hey, I don't bite my nails, at least!).

Out of nowhere, and not to my mind related to any such condition, my middle finger on my bridge hand became very swollen toward the nail's edge on one side, red and puffed out, making it too painful to bridge normally, unable to put any pressure on that finger or use a closed bridge.

After working around that with odd bridging, a couple of days later it drained, reducing the pressure, and I'm using an antibacterial ointment to help clear out the infection.

I was thinking maybe an ingrown nail could have caused it, but I don't seem to have any involvement of the edge of the nail into the skin. Maybe I had a stray cuticle that I peeled off, making a small defect in the skin allowing this to occur, but not that I remember or not as it looks.

Ever happen to you? Any idea what allowed/caused this to happen? I'd like to avoid it in the future, so I'm going to do a little preventive care there, like maybe using a hand cream on the nail area, whatever. But I'm not sure that caused it, or would prevent it.

<hr></blockquote>

the infection itself could have come from anywhere but the drying and cracking are definately from the chalk dust and powder in the table cloth. it's probably an indication that you're getting in lots of good table time. frequent hand washing will probably clear it up.

dan

Rich R.
08-19-2002, 10:01 AM
You mentioned that the cuticles are dry and split. Is it possible that using pool hall chaulk, that has been handled by many others, has gotten into those cracks and caused the infection?
Just an idea. It has never happened to me and I use the house chaulk like most others.
Rich R.

Rich R.
08-19-2002, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Phil, at the risk of sounding like a pansy here is what I do. Every Wednesday I give myself a manicure (no nail polish or anything), clip, file, work the cuticles. Every night and every morning I use hand cream for softness. As a person who bit their nails since I got teeth it's a big deal to me to keep my nails at least half way decent. It's also important to me because I need to know my nail on my index finger is digging into my thumb to know my bridge is firm.

Kato~~~probably not helping. <hr></blockquote>
Does Voodoo know about all of this? He may want to reconsider traveling partners. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif
Rich R.

Kato
08-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Rich, Rich, Rich, Rich, Rich, Rich, Rich.............Rich.
Notice I use 0 nail polish and have no problems with cuticle splitting.

Kato~~~has picked out his target for Virginia.

Rich R.
08-19-2002, 10:24 AM
You are right. I guess Voodoo is safe. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I will be an easy target. Ask MikeM and Nostroke. We played some this past weekend, at the CAT tournament and I couldn't make a ball to save my life. Some one will have to reintroduce me to the practice table to get ready for Virginia.
Rich R.~~~will not win, but will have a good time.

08-19-2002, 10:43 AM
ARGH! I hate when that happens. Trust me I know what you're going through. It's happened to me many times. But, I noticed that it would happen after getting a manicure (not everytime) but if I would get a little cut from the cuticle sissors or if the manicurist would push back my cuticles and tug on a stubborn, hard to reach piece of cuticle then I would slightly bleed (most women know what I'm talking about...some men too...Kato...so I read in your post... LOL. Just kidding) Anyway, what happens is, since you use your hands for everything, it's common that you have the majority of germs there so that little, tiny opened wound is just sitting there practically asking for it. Since you said that you pull those cuticles off you might want to keep some rubbing alcohol handy and after washing your hands, apply a small amount to the area... that's what I do. I don't get them too often anymore because I look out for them... but when I do get one and it swells I take a needle and wipe it with alcohol and puncture the area so that I may drain it myself and then apply the alcohol... it stings a little but you get over it. LOL.
~~hope this helps!

Snooky

Kato
08-19-2002, 11:09 AM
See Rich, Snooky gets manicures. Notice "Man"icure, not "Woman"icure.

Kato~~~has the ugliest fingers of all time but my nails look ok.

08-19-2002, 11:12 AM
Yes, but Snooky is a woman. &lt;wink&gt; LOL.

Kato
08-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Darn it to heck. Shoulda read your profile. I guess I'm out here on my own planet. Nobody here to back me up. Fact remains, I don't have cuticle problems.

Kato

08-19-2002, 11:20 AM
It's ok... if it helps any,.... I know plenty of guys that get manicures (honest).
--Hey maybe we can trade "beauty secrets"... Kidding, I'm not really one of those "girly-girls" I'm a hangout girl that does some of the "girly" things. LOL. You might get to see if I come down to the open that you much anticipate. I might join that CCB tourney. LOL.

Snooky

Chris Cass
08-20-2002, 11:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Darn it to heck. Shoulda read your profile. I guess I'm out here on my own planet. Nobody here to back me up. Fact remains, I don't have cuticle problems.

Kato <hr></blockquote>

I'll back you up brother! I for a fact know Kato has the prettiest hands, I've ever seen! He's probably showing one of his cuticles as he reads this post.

No problem Kato, no need to thank me.

C.C.~~mobsters used to and some still clear polish their nails. I wouldn't say much at all.

Vapros
08-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Phil, I once developed a very tender inflammation at the base of my thumbnail, and went and showed it to my doctor. He ordered tests immediately and then told me I had a staph infection. He prescribed some high-priced medicine for it, including some taken by mouth. Eventually it was cleared up and has not returned, but the doc said I had done right to get some attention for it, as it could have been pretty serious.

So, if this thing doesn't clear up soon, better get somebody to look at it. Better safe than sorry.

MikeM
08-21-2002, 07:33 AM
You Pansy!!!

Just kidding. Last month my wife and I spent a morning at the day spa. I had given her a gift certificate for Mother's Day and she surprised me with one for Father's Day. We each had an hour's massage, an hour in a hydrotherapy tub followed by more Swedish massage and then a pedicure (at the risk of sounding like even more of a pansy, that was awesome!) and then a manicure. The hand massage is worth it if nothing else. Now I sit here with dirty nails and damaged cuticle and I'm too shy to go back to the Spa. Maybe you can touch up my nails in Sept. before the CCB tourney /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif!

MM...comfortable enough with my masculinity to talk about this stuff.

Kato
08-21-2002, 08:14 AM
Ok, listen, I trim and file my nails to play pool, there is a functionality behind it. You, well Mike, you have issues. Not that I'll hold it against you or anything, everybody is entitled to live their life as they wish.

In addition, my chiro is also working on my bridge hand and fingers. I must say, they are looking a little straighter these days.

Kato~~~thinks maybe MikeM is just a "tad" off center.

08-21-2002, 12:02 PM
LOL... Chris, it seems like you may have taken a few too many precious moments noticing Kato's hands.

--Alright Kato, fess up! Let's see those hands!!!

Snooky &lt;~~ wondering if Kato's manicure is better than mine... LMAO

MikeM
08-21-2002, 12:05 PM
Does that mean you won't give me a manicure?!?

MM

SPetty
08-21-2002, 12:42 PM
Okay, Kato. Take a picture of your hands in order to practice with your new digital camera and send it to me, and I'll post it for the CCB to see.

cheesemouse
08-21-2002, 03:14 PM
Kato is George the hand model..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif