PDA

View Full Version : BRAVO! Maryland Demands WE ARE NOT SOUTHERN!

Gayle in MD
03-19-2010, 01:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ANNAPOLIS, Md. Maryland's official song may include a line about "Northern scum" left over from the Civil War era, but the state isn't feeling so Southern anymore.

Though Marylanders live just south of the Mason-Dixon Line, their attitudes and even their accents straddle that border. These days, leaders feel they've got more in common with states to the north.

In one sign of the shift, lawmakers successfully petitioned to move from the Southern Region of the Council of State Governments to the Eastern Region, where they'll be able to trade ideas with fellow officials from Pennsylvania, New York, and other states they consider more like-minded.

"I just don't think we're as Southern as people used to think," said state Sen. Catherine Pugh, a Baltimore Democrat.

It's unusual for states to switch regions in the 77-year-old council, which provides a forum for state officials to share ideas. The last time was when Missouri switched from the Midwestern Region to the Southern Region in 1994.

Maryland supporters of the change cite the state's proximity to the District of Columbia, which is in the Eastern Region. They share many concerns, particularly in public safety and transportation.

Maryland also belongs to the same electrical power grid as several states in the Eastern Region and shares environmental interests in preserving the Chesapeake Bay with states there, although fellow bay state Virginia is in the Southern Region.

"I think that we have common experiences that we can learn from," said state Sen. Verna Jones, D-Baltimore.

Longtime residents note a shift too. Diane Schwallenberg, who has lived in the Annapolis area all of her 53 years, said she feels more Southern because of the state capital's laid-back waterside atmosphere and small-town friendliness. But she said she has noticed a change over the years as more people have moved to the area.

"Some of the new people that come in not the real, true Annapolitans in particular but people that have come in are kind of preppy and all," she said.

Maryland has long felt influences from both parts of the country. During the Civil War, the state was torn between North and South.

While Maryland was officially in the Union, President Abraham Lincoln had to send troops to occupy Baltimore to keep the state in line. Recent attempts to update the state song, "Maryland, My Maryland," which describes the occupation as "the despot's heel upon thy shore" and includes the mention of "Northern scum" have failed.

Robert Brugger, who wrote a history of the state titled "Maryland, A Middle Temperament," said Maryland's political interests and social makeup may link it more closely these days with Pennsylvania than Virginia. Still, he said many Maryland residents enjoy the cultural qualities that come from being a border state, and he expressed regret that some felt a change was needed.

"It is still too bad, in as much as Maryland really is North and South together," Brugger said. "It's a shame to have to choose."

But supporters of going Yankee mention Maryland's modern political differences with states in the South. In Maryland, a solid blue state, registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans 2-1.

"The South, which we have been a part of for more than 50 years, is a fabulous region, but the politics have changed dramatically, and much of the politics are dominated by tea party activists," said Maryland Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller, a Democrat.

___

</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Good Ol' Mike always did tell it like it is...of course, I always knew we weren't ever southerners, they forced us into taking that label on during the civil war....but this is fantastic!

Great News!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

G. </span>

sack316
03-19-2010, 02:21 PM
I dunno... I saw an episode of American Pickers on the History Channel the other week, they traveled through Maryland. It was pretty southern in at least those areas!

Sack

pooltchr
03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Why would any good southerner want to claim Maryland anyway???

Steve

sack316
03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I never really thought I would. But if you saw that episode, there's a bunch of good ol' boys up there. Shocked the hell out of me.

Sack

eg8r
03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maryland's official song may include a line about "Northern scum" left over from the Civil War era, but the state isn't feeling so Southern anymore.
</div></div>Is this because you guys have finally made it illegal to sleep with your relatives?

eg8r

pooltchr
03-19-2010, 03:41 PM
The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter where someone lives. Why we even have people right here in the south that think their poop doesn't stink, just like they do north of us!!!

Steve

sack316
03-19-2010, 03:48 PM
When they order a "pop" that's when I know to move along /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

pooltchr
03-19-2010, 03:55 PM
As long as someone is mashing down on something, I know I'm in good company!

Steve

Sev
03-19-2010, 03:56 PM
I fail to understand the elation about not being a southern state.
Its almost as if some people believe its a stigma.
Why would you want to be associated with NY, Mass, CT and NJ in the first place?

Seems a bit childish if you ask me.

Can you say high brow elitists?

pooltchr
03-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I've lived in a half a dozen states all up and down the east coast. You won't find better people anywhere than in the south!

Where else can you get a crew of guys agree to help you move for a 12 pack of beer?????????

Steve

LWW
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
True dat.

LWW

Bobbyrx
03-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow, I never knew that about the Maryland state song <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!
The Old Line's bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come! <span style="color: #FF0000">no junior high jokes please </span>
Maryland! My Maryland!
</div></div>
Huzza???

How about this from Alabama's
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hearts as open as thy doorways.
<span style="color: #CC0000">Liberal </span>hands and spirits free.
Alabama, Alabama, we will aye be true to thee. </div></div>

Who knew? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Sev
03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
I hear that.

DickLeonard
03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Sev the average IQ of the Soutern states is ten points lower than the Nortern states. Massachuetts has ten colleges in the top twenty in the country. I Wonder Why.####

Sev
03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
The reasons are varied. However I doubt very much that there is any genetic difference between the residents of the north and south. Other than perhaps the ratio of the particular ethnic groups.

There are outstanding colleges located in every state of the nation.

Its more like the elite dont like the stereotype. Its a rather petty thing by all accounts.

hondo
03-19-2010, 08:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they order a "pop" that's when I know to move along /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

Hey! That's what we call it in West Virginny!

hondo
03-19-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree.

hondo
03-19-2010, 08:55 PM

sack316
03-20-2010, 05:01 AM
Guess it's more a "rural" vs. "city" thing. Cuz I know country folks from all the way up in North Dakota. And I know liberal elitest folk down here. But personally, I say of you don't have a nearby college affiliated with the SEC, you are not a true southerner... with the exception of Texas.

Sack

sack316
03-20-2010, 05:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they order a "pop" that's when I know to move along /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

Hey! That's what we call it in West Virginny! </div></div>

Really? Cuz my grandma is from the most rural of rural areas of WV, which I know is many many years back... but I never heard her ask for a "pop". Everything is "coke". She does refer to bags as a "poke", though... if that counts for anything.

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-20-2010, 08:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bobbyrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, I never knew that about the Maryland state song <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!
The Old Line's bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come! <span style="color: #FF0000">no junior high jokes please </span>
Maryland! My Maryland!
</div></div>
Huzza???

How about this from Alabama's
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hearts as open as thy doorways.
<span style="color: #CC0000">Liberal </span>hands and spirits free.
Alabama, Alabama, we will aye be true to thee. </div></div>

Who knew? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif </div></div> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

hondo
03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Dick, there are some outstanding schools in the South.

Georgia Tech and Georgia are two that come to mind.

James Madison is another.

WVUs Med School is one of the best, although we ain't all that south.

hondo
03-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Nope. We call it "pop."

Although I have heard what you mean.
Pepsi, RC, and Coca Cola are all "coke.'

Everything else including those three are pop.
I get a lot of teasing in Jersey, NY, and Pa. where everything is "soda."

Sev
03-20-2010, 08:13 PM
There is an outstanding medical school right here in Johnson City.

Not everybody has an open mind about the south Hondo. Its a shame because some the nicest people in the country reside there.

hondo
03-20-2010, 08:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they order a "pop" that's when I know to move along /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

Really? Cuz my grandma is from the most rural of rural areas of WV, which I know is many many years back... but I never heard her ask for a "pop". Everything is "coke". She does refer to bags as a "poke", though... if that counts for anything.

Sack </div></div>

Yep. Country folks still say "poke."
Of course we also say "boosh, poosh, woosh, feesh, deesh, crick,
pert near."

pooltchr
03-21-2010, 05:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dick, there are some outstanding schools in the South.

Georgia Tech and Georgia are two that come to mind.

James Madison is another.

WVUs Med School is one of the best, although we ain't all that south. </div></div>

I would have to throw Duke into that mix as well...one of the best medical schools in the country. Clemson if you want to be an engineer, but too much orange for my taste!

Steve

sack316
03-21-2010, 06:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they order a "pop" that's when I know to move along /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

Yep. Country folks still say "poke."
Of course we also say "boosh, poosh, woosh, feesh, deesh, crick,
pert near." </div></div>

he he, yep sounds about right. And I am not sure there are any words that are only one Syllable. Like, her husband's name is Bill. But when she says it, it is "Bee-yil". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Southern accents rock. Mine is very mild, in fact only people outside of the south even say I have one at all. But glad they do, cuz anytime I am up north or out west... the ladies love a southern accent /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Qtec
03-21-2010, 06:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maryland's official song may include a line about "Northern scum" left over from the Civil War era, but the state isn't feeling so Southern anymore.
</div></div>Is this because you guys have finally made it illegal to sleep with your relatives?

eg8r </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bizarre Sex Habits of The Extreme Right-Wing

Last night, anti-abortion extremist Neal Horsley was a guest on The Alan Colmes Show, a FOX News radio program. The topic was an interesting one - whether or not an internet service provider should allow Horsley to post the names of abortion doctors on his website. Horsley does that as a way of targeting them and one doctor has been killed. In the course of the interview, however, Colmes asked Horsley about his background, including a statement that he had admitted to engaging in homosexual and bestiality sex. Updated with audio!

At first, Horsley laughed and said, "Just because it's printed in the media, people jump to believe it."

"Is it true?" Colmes asked.

"Hey, Alan, if you want to accuse me of having sex when I was a fool, I did everything that crossed my mind that looked like I..."

AC: "You had sex with animals?"

NH: "Absolutely. I was a fool. When you grow up on a farm in Georgia, your first girlfriend is a mule."

AC: "I'm not so sure that that is so."

NH: "You didn't grow up on a farm in Georgia, did you?"

AC: "Are you suggesting that everybody who grows up on a farm in Georgia has a mule as a girlfriend?"

NH: It has historically been the case. You people are so far removed from the reality... Welcome to domestic life on the farm..."

Colmes said he thought there were a lot of people in the audience who grew up on farms, are living on farms now, raising kids on farms and "and I don't think they are dating Elsie right now. You know what I'm saying?"

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Horsley said, "You experiment with anything that moves when you are growing up sexually. You're naive. You know better than that... If it's warm and it's damp and it vibrates you might in fact have sex with it."</span>

</div></div>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style="color: #990000">FKn Hell.......this guy will fu*k anything with a pulse! LMAO</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In addition to Horsley, Colmes has recently interviewed Randall Terry another radical anti-abortionist and anti-gay activist. In the middle of an otherwise serious interview, Terry began joking - apropos of nothing - that he and Colmes were ex-lovers.

Another extremist interviewed by Colmes not too long ago was Rev. Fred Phelps who stated on the show that he thought the death penalty should be given for those who engage in "sodomy." When Colmes asked Phelps if he had ever engaged in gay sex, Phelps blustered but never said no.

Hmm, I'm beginning to sense a pattern here. Come to think of it, Ann Coulter is reputed to have an unusually, er, wide-ranging sex life, too, though as far as I know it's just confined to men. Still, it doesn't exactly match the profile of an ultra-conservative. </div></div> LINK (http://www.newshounds.us/2005/05/06/bizarre_sex_habits_of_the_extreme_rightwing.php#mo re)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is now running for governor in Georgia as a Republican </div></div>

LOL

Q

hondo
03-21-2010, 06:24 AM
My car-pooling buddy was a Powell.

We pronounced it "Pow."

But the librarian somehow got 2 syllables out of it- "Pow-ell."

hondo
03-21-2010, 06:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When they order a "pop" that's when I know to move along /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>

Sack </div></div>

I shared this conversation with my wife and she is very familiar with family and friends using the generic term "coke."

One would say " Bring me back a coke."
"What kind?"
" Oh, 7 Up or root beer would be fine." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

sack316
03-21-2010, 06:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I shared this conversation with my wife and she is very familiar with family and friends using the generic term "coke."

One would say " Bring me back a coke."
"What kind?"
" Oh, 7 Up or root beer would be fine." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

Exactly. That's pretty much what a lot of people do down here too. I always specify my drink, and never really noticed that so much when I was younger. Then, at like 17 working as a server in Cracker Barrel, someone ordered a "coke". I said "alright, be right back with your coke" and began to walk away. At which time I heard "well how do you know what coke I want???"

After that, I really began to notice how prevalent referring to all soda as coke was!

Sack

Sev
03-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Its hard to beat the combinational of a cliff, sheep, cowboy boots and a Montana stick. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Sev
03-21-2010, 07:03 AM
I just ask for a diet with lemon. It generally comes back pepsi. Have never gotten anything but a diet coke or pepsi.

eg8r
03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
So you are saying Maryland has finally decided they don't want to continue those bizarre sex acts? Good for them.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
03-23-2010, 07:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maryland's official song may include a line about "Northern scum" left over from the Civil War era, but the state isn't feeling so Southern anymore.

eg8r </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bizarre Sex Habits of The Extreme Right-Wing

Last night, anti-abortion extremist Neal Horsley was a guest on The Alan Colmes Show, a FOX News radio program. The topic was an interesting one - whether or not an internet service provider should allow Horsley to post the names of abortion doctors on his website. Horsley does that as a way of targeting them and one doctor has been killed. In the course of the interview, however, Colmes asked Horsley about his background, including a statement that he had admitted to engaging in homosexual and bestiality sex. Updated with audio!

At first, Horsley laughed and said, "Just because it's printed in the media, people jump to believe it."

"Is it true?" Colmes asked.

"Hey, Alan, if you want to accuse me of having sex when I was a fool, I did everything that crossed my mind that looked like I..."

AC: "You had sex with animals?"

NH: "Absolutely. I was a fool. When you grow up on a farm in Georgia, your first girlfriend is a mule."

AC: "I'm not so sure that that is so."

NH: "You didn't grow up on a farm in Georgia, did you?"

AC: "Are you suggesting that everybody who grows up on a farm in Georgia has a mule as a girlfriend?"

NH: It has historically been the case. You people are so far removed from the reality... Welcome to domestic life on the farm..."

Colmes said he thought there were a lot of people in the audience who grew up on farms, are living on farms now, raising kids on farms and "and I don't think they are dating Elsie right now. You know what I'm saying?"

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Horsley said, "You experiment with anything that moves when you are growing up sexually. You're naive. You know better than that... If it's warm and it's damp and it vibrates you might in fact have sex with it."</span>

</div></div>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style="color: #990000">FKn Hell.......this guy will fu*k anything with a pulse! LMAO</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In addition to Horsley, Colmes has recently interviewed Randall Terry another radical anti-abortionist and anti-gay activist. In the middle of an otherwise serious interview, Terry began joking - apropos of nothing - that he and Colmes were ex-lovers.

Another extremist interviewed by Colmes not too long ago was Rev. Fred Phelps who stated on the show that he thought the death penalty should be given for those who engage in "sodomy." When Colmes asked Phelps if he had ever engaged in gay sex, Phelps blustered but never said no.

Hmm, I'm beginning to sense a pattern here. Come to think of it, Ann Coulter is reputed to have an unusually, er, wide-ranging sex life, too, though as far as I know it's just confined to men. Still, it doesn't exactly match the profile of an ultra-conservative. </div></div> LINK (http://www.newshounds.us/2005/05/06/bizarre_sex_habits_of_the_extreme_rightwing.php#mo re)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is now running for governor in Georgia as a Republican </div></div>

LOL

Q </div></div>

A young Republican farmer was standing in the field, talking with his dad about how he was to plow their acerage for spring planting. As his father pointed to an area under a tree on the hill, the young man complained, "Gee dad, I'd rather leave that spot as it is."

"Why, his Republican father inquired?"

"Well, because over there is right where I had my first experience with sexual intercourse."

"Oh", replied the father, "Well, I can understand why that would be sentimental to you, then make up the difference over there, by the creek."

"Well, I'd rather leave that area as it is also" said the Republican son.

"Oh? Why so, son?"

"Well, that's where her mother was standing at the time." answered the Republican son.

"HER MOTHER~!!! OMG! What did her mother say!!!?"
The Republican son answered...

"She said MOOOOOOOOO."

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Oldest joke in the world, but never knew before it was about Republicans.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hondo
03-23-2010, 05:28 PM