PDA

View Full Version : Republican Activists Mock A Man With Parkinson's

Gayle in MD
03-20-2010, 02:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The passion against health care reform has elevated to such a level that protesters on Tuesday mocked an apparent Parkinson's Disease victim, scorning him as a "communist" who is looking for "handouts."

Protesters on both ends of the health care debate squared off in competing rallies outside the Columbus, Ohio office of district Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy (D-OH), who says she is undecided on her vote for the bill.

A wrinkled, kneeling man holding a stick crawled up to a group opposing the effort with a sign saying he has "got Parkinson's" and needs help.

"If you're looking for a handout you're in the wrong end of town," one man yelled at him. "Nothing for free over here, you have to work for everything you get."

Parkinson's is an incurable and degenerative brain disorder that impairs the victim's speech, motor skills and various other functions.

Another man walked up and threw a dollar bill at him, saying derisively, "I'll pay for this guy, start a pot." Tossing another bill at the sedentary man, he screamed, "No more handouts!"

"You love a communist!" shouted another protester in response.

The Columbus Dispatch noted that "the congresswoman's offices in Washington and Columbus logged more than 1,500 calls on the issue Monday."

"Police on foot and bicycles kept a close eye on the crowd that stretched along Olentangy River Road. Several loud exchanges occurred as some protesters got in each other's faces, but no physical clashes were reported," the paper added.

The scenes were reminiscent of the heated town-hall protests across the nation last summer when supporters and opponents of health reform clashed.

This video is from Columbus Dispatch, broadcast March 16, 2010.

</div></div>http://rawstory.com/2010/03/protesters-mock-parkinsons-man/
Comments:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) you really can't brain them, they have no brains
2) you can't rip their hearts out, i believe they are MIA
3) you can't disimbowl them ... oh wait you probably could

but if you really want to hurt them you'd have to empty their pockets
and bank accounts because that's the only thing they care about
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's. We spent years watching his gait slow down until it took him 15 minutes to walk 50 feet with his walker. He had trouble swallowing and speaking. He couldn't get to the bathroom quickly enough and routinely pissed himself.

Parkinson's is technically not a disease; it is a group of symptoms, and when enough of those symptoms are observed, the diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease is made. The most prominent symptoms, such as gait (referred to as stutter step) and incontinence, are also a symptom of NPH, Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. This is a neurological disorder in which there is too much fluid in the brain. It exerts pressure on the brain that causes symptoms similar to those found in Parkinson's. How do I know all this? Because my father had very good insurance, and could afford an excellent doctor and neurosurgeon, who implanted a small pump in his skull. This normalized the pressure in his brain. Within days of the operation the walker was in the closet and my father was using a cane to get around. The incontinence was gone. He sat through twelve innings of a spring training baseball game without a trip to the men's room.

And then I see these fuck-wit teabaggers heckling this poor man who doesn't have the same level of healthcare my dad did and think, "what have we become as a country?" Why shouldn't this guy be entitled to the same quality of healthcare that my father had? Why shouldn't every citizen be entitled to quality healthcare? I don't look at this as the government "taking over" healthcare any more than I look at a highway construction project as the government taking over highway building. Or bridge building. Or police and fire protection. There are certain functions that benefit all citizens, and healthcare should be one of them.

No one should be mocked because they have a disease or infirmity.
</div></div>