PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

hondo
03-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I've been playing one hole with the best player in town for the last several weeks.
He gives me 8-7.
Small stakes. Not a lot of money.

For about a month I've been breaking even with him.

The last 2 times we've played, he's won every game.
As he gets sharper, I get intimidated.

Here are my options.
1. I'm not losing a lot of money. Tell myself it's cheap lessons.
2. I'm starting to lose some confidence and I play pretty decent.
Drop him.
3. Demand another ball or quit.

Do you really learn when you're getting hammered or is it just
a ball buster?

Opinions, please.

bradb
03-22-2010, 05:19 PM
He could be setting you up for a bigger payday so be wary of any more spots.

I practice with an ex pro and it can be hard on ones confidence but if you can continue to hold up you will be a lot tougher for it.

Maybe get him on to some other game and see what happens.

hondo
03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks. One hole is my best game.

Trying not to be a hard loser has been tough for me.

I told him today that I don't know that I can continue 8-7 much longer.

hondo
03-22-2010, 06:27 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bradb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He could be setting you up for a bigger payday so be wary of any more spots.

</div></div>

I've been playing him for years off and on.
He used to play me 8-5.

Fran Crimi
03-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Sounds like you could use a change of scenery. Play somebody else for awhile and try him again later. Same spot. Fresh perspective. That's what I'd do.

hondo
03-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Thanks, Fran. That's what I'm thinking.

dg-in-centralpa
03-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Hondo,
For what it's worth, I would keep playing him. It might be helpful to see how he plays and where you make your mistakes. I would look at it as a learning process. My cousin used to be a road player and is very good. I could never beat him until a tourney several years ago. In practice, he crushed me. When it came for the money round, I crushed him. This was the first time I did this to him. He didn't talk to me for 2 months. Since then we've played about equal. I always learn from a better player.

DG - again just my 2c

hondo
03-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks, DG.

Bambu
03-23-2010, 06:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been playing one hole with the best player in town for the last several weeks.
He gives me 8-7.
Small stakes. Not a lot of money.

For about a month I've been breaking even with him.

The last 2 times we've played, he's won every game.
As he gets sharper, I get intimidated.

Here are my options.
1. I'm not losing a lot of money. Tell myself it's cheap lessons.
2. I'm starting to lose some confidence and I play pretty decent.
Drop him.
3. Demand another ball or quit.

Do you really learn when you're getting hammered or is it just
a ball buster?

Opinions, please. </div></div>

First thing I'd want to know is, how much is he up on you? Also, how small are the stakes? If you drop him, who will you shoot with? A reliable shooting partner is worth alot more than a low stakes game, especially a better player. If you broke even with him for a month, the game should be fair.

If it were me I would keep donating, just to see what kind of a person he is. If he tries to raise the bet to something more substantial, you know his true motives. Then you can demand another ball, or quit. If he keeps milking you slowly, try to negotiate for a better spot.

hondo
03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Bambu, we know each other well.
He won't hustle me out of much.

My point was that as I continue to get hammered lately, I find
I'm losing a little bit of confidence and I'm afraid
my game will start to slide rather than grow.

I've been in this situation with him a few times over the years
and I've quit him.

I guess I'm kinda asking the posters on here to answer
questions that only I can really answer myself.

Just curious for the feedback.

It's not the money, it's the fear of losing my confidence that bothers me.

( I don't take losing particularly well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)

Madmax1100
03-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Hondo, In my opinion, you never learn too much from winning the majority of the time. Being a 200+ average bowler, I learned the most from my defeats. While playing tennis with a better player and constantly getting hammered, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0, there came a time when the scores were 6-1, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4, and finally a victory in a set. What a feeling that was. Same in chess. Kept getting beat by the same guy until one day, I played him to a draw, which was like a win because he was so strong. If you get discouraged by getting beat by a better player, then don't play him. If you want to improve your game, keep coming back for more and victory will sure to follow. Good luck.

Madmax

hondo
03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks, Max.

Bambu
03-24-2010, 07:36 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bambu, we know each other well.
He won't hustle me out of much.

My point was that as I continue to get hammered lately, I find
I'm losing a little bit of confidence and I'm afraid
my game will start to slide rather than grow.

I've been in this situation with him a few times over the years
and I've quit him.

I guess I'm kinda asking the posters on here to answer
questions that only I can really answer myself.

Just curious for the feedback.

It's not the money, it's the fear of losing my confidence that bothers me.

( I don't take losing particularly well. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif)
</div></div>

Well Hondo, I dont like losing either. Nobody does. But the only way to improve is to lose to a better player. Why allow your confidence to revolve around what your opponent does? I used to let losing bother me, but I have learned to judge my game rather than my fate. Like keeping your mouth shut, losing well is a skill. Sure I still get pissed off, but only when I'm not playing well.

I usually lose to the 2 guys I play regularly, probably 2 out of 3 times out. But I dont take a spot, I'd rather lose even up. And I dont really care about the win, I'm much more concerned about how I play. Better to play well and lose, than to win ugly. If it's hill-hill and my partner runs out and scratches on the 9, I see very little fun in that.

The first Predator B-C-D tournament I ever played in, I was playing well.... beating a guy 5-1. The next 3 games in a row, I ran the rack and hung up the 9 ball(which I had near perfect position for). Yeah, 3 in a row! So, I put myself into the worst coma of my life. Sure I have blown plenty of games before, but never 3 in a row. Somehow, I still went on to win first place. Did I feel good about it? Hell no. There was no way I could look back and consider that a good outing. I would rather fall to a better player, and know I gave it my best shot.

hondo
03-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks, Bambu.

Deeman3
03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Hondo,

If it is a cheap game, change your style for a few games, play looser or tighter and see if the change in style and rythym makes a difference.

I just played Ace in New Orleans last weekend and he murdered me all weekend. I think his game is better but I also kept doing what I was doing! A loosing strategy if you are consistently being beaten.

hondo
03-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Dee.

wolfdancer
03-30-2010, 04:15 PM
You want some real pressure...try playing me!!!
I ain't got no style that you can figure out ( not much class, either, but that's a different story))...I don't even know which "me" is going to show up an any given day....the one that can't run 3 balls, or the one that can...unfortunately, there are usually around 9 of them on the table.
As to playing great players....you might learn by watching their game....but chances are you won't get to show much of yours. The pro players that I have played, never left me an open shot.
But a B player, should regularly play against A players, and up here I get to compete against players with a Masters rating.
I'm more shocked then they are if I happen to win.....a game, or even two!!
I used to play in a league where I'd get back to the table for 4 or even 5 innings.... it was more a war of attrition, then a pool game....eventually there was only the 8 ball left.
But, if I keep working on my game, I figure another 5 years, I'll consider becoming a road player....if I can also find a stake horse....

Sid_Vicious
03-30-2010, 04:27 PM
It is a ball buster up to the point where you ask to re-adjust the spot. Playing a "big" player has lots of appeal to me, but the new wears off fast when I see the difference in speed equaling me continually dishing out money, even small money BECAUSE it WILL move into bigger money in time. jm2c sid~~~wishes he'd take his own advice :-(

hondo
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
An update. We are now playing 8-5 for 5 times what we were playing for ( my insistence) and I'm breaking even with him.

Monday he played some guy that I used to spot 2 balls to .
He was playing him same way he plays me for same amt.

I bet on him. Just a few bucks a game.

He NEVER WINS A GAME!!

I'm starting to think he just has my number.
Against me, he never misses. Against the other guy,
he seemed average.

He seemed shocked that after breaking even with me twice he couldn't win a game against the other guy.

Not enough money on my end for a dump. He just lost.

Fran Crimi
04-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Hondo, it sounds like there's just one word to describe this guy for you ---- nemesis. Every pool player has one. Turn around and run as fast as you can! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Chopstick
04-29-2010, 08:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An update. We are now playing 8-5 for 5 times what we were playing for ( my insistence) and I'm breaking even with him.

Monday he played some guy that I used to spot 2 balls to .
He was playing him same way he plays me for same amt.

I bet on him. Just a few bucks a game.

He NEVER WINS A GAME!!

I'm starting to think he just has my number.
Against me, he never misses. Against the other guy,
he seemed average.

He seemed shocked that after breaking even with me twice he couldn't win a game against the other guy.

Not enough money on my end for a dump. He just lost. </div></div>

Well, you might try and get off your lazy butt and practice. Sounds to me like someone else is.

"Every minute you are not practicing, someone else Is practicing, to whip you."

hondo
04-29-2010, 11:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hondo, it sounds like there's just one word to describe this guy for you ---- nemesis. Every pool player has one. Turn around and run as fast as you can! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif LOL! Good advice, Fran.
Today he got drilled by that same guy 8-5 and afterwards
I played that guy and drilled him.
Matchups. Matchups. Matchups. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

pooltchr
04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chopstick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"Every minute you are not practicing, someone else Is practicing, to whip you." </div></div>

That is worth repeating. If you aren't winning, you haven't done the work you need to have done before the match even started.

Will people ever learn that they are in control of their own game? It's not the cue, it's not the table, it's not the opponent......it's what you do and have done to develop your own game!

Steve

hondo
04-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah, you're right.
But I don't play bad.
Most of the posters who go to DCC have played
me, Jay Helfert, Scott Lee, Russ Chewning, Deeman, and many others, and know that I play alright.Plus, I've played
Mike McClain from PA, Mike Shaver from Weston, Lucky Joey from Charleston. I've been around a little.

The guy I'm talking about is John " Geronimo" Brill
from Winchester, Va, and he has played many of the top players over the years.
I kept thinking that when he got old I would get him but
I forgot that I was getting old too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sev
05-02-2010, 07:44 PM
You could hire Steve for some lessons. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Perhaps you have a physiological block with this guy. Since you have been playing him for so long you may have conditioned yourself to loose to him over the years. Completely subconscious.

wsseet
05-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Sounds like you could use a change of scenery. Play somebody else for awhile and try him again later

web designer (http://poweredbylbtech.com) - seo consultant (http://affordable-seo-services.1ten.info) - search engine consultant (http://affordable-seo-services.1ten.info)

hondo
05-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Excellent advice, but my pool hall is dead. Very few players.

Fran Crimi
05-10-2010, 06:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wsseet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like you could use a change of scenery. Play somebody else for awhile and try him again later

web designer (http://poweredbylbtech.com) - seo consultant (http://affordable-seo-services.1ten.info) - search engine consultant (http://affordable-seo-services.1ten.info)</div></div>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'> Copy cat...... </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<span style="color: #000099">Quote Fran Crimi:
Sounds like you could use a change of scenery. Play somebody else for awhile and try him again later. Same spot. Fresh perspective. That's what I'd do. </span>