View Full Version : Old axiom

hondo
03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
I always heard, " When you play good, you get good rolls."

I have found that to be true.

Agree or disagree?

pooltchr
03-22-2010, 05:12 PM
You don't <u>get</u> good rolls, you <u>make</u> them!

Steve

hondo
03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
When I or my opponent are hitting the balls well,
the bounces seem to go our way.

Even the ones that are definitely considered luck.
Anybody else notice that?

pooltchr
03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Hondo,
If you are hitting the balls well, you are making them do what you want them to do. If you aren't hitting them well, they don't go where you want them to go. If you are hitting them well, the balls don't rattle pockets, they drop. If you are hitting them well, the cue ball finds it's way to where you want it to be. The balls are just stupid pieces of plastic that aren't "out to get you" They will do exactly what you cause them to do. You are the one moving the cue stick, therefore, you are responsible for what they do.
There are no pool gods. You can choose to be in control of what happens, or you can choose to be a victim.

I personally believe if I accept responsibility for what happens on the table, I can correct any problems. If I'm "getting bad rolls", I am resigned to be at the mercy of something beyond my control.
One is a winning attitude, and one is a losing attitude.

You decide which attitude you wan to have.

Steve

hondo
03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
NO POOL GODS!!!

BLASPHEMY!

Are you a pool atheist? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

pooltchr
03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
No. I'm a pool realist!
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

JJFSTAR
03-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I am going to go ahead and completely agree with pooltchr with a couple of add ins. “bad rolls” are a matter of perception. If I am shooting well its harder for the table to issue me a “bad roll”. Efren can chuckle at what most of us would consider a “bad roll”. If only I could follow this advice when playing in competition I would be a better player than I am today. It is very hard not to react negatively and emotionally to mistakes that you know were easily prevented.

So my answer to the basic question of “does the table issue you more bad rolls when you are shooting badly” is well; yes and no, yes it does but it isn’t some by chance supernatural phenomenon that is outside of your realm of control. You just have to “look at the bright side”. I cannot stress how much easier that is said than done. One of the local hustlers that I play when we are working out will actually talk to the CB telling it to “go ahead get behind that ball” and the times that it does he will say “excellent”. That may sound crazy but it demonstrates an unshakable confidence in his own abilities and that is something that 99.99% of us could use more of; myself included.

Chilled
03-23-2010, 02:18 PM
First of all, for any proper comparison of views, seems to me that everybody needs to be singing from the same hymn sheet as regards what in the first place defines a "roll" as opposed to it just being an inefficiently planned or executed shot.

Obviously the less well you plan and execute any particular shot the more likely it is that something you forgot to factor into the equation at the planning stage or something you brought into the equation by less than perfect execution.....will affect the outcome.

Most "rolls", good or bad, aren't really rolls at all in my book.
Rightly or wrongly, in my eyes there's not much potential for getting what can be termed either a good or bad "roll" as opposed to just a badly or well played outcome, other than in shots in which there is right from the start a high risk of not getting the planning or execution spot on, like such obvious examples of shots where you are turning the cue ball loose or splitting clusters.

Unfortunately this isn't anything to do with an "unshakable confidence" in my case, just a coldly dispassionate view....LOL.

Rich R.
03-24-2010, 08:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always heard, " When you play good, you get good rolls."

I have found that to be true.

Agree or disagree? </div></div>

I'll bet that the more you practice the more good rolls you get. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hondo
03-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Kind've what I was saying. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Deeman3
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I say a 9mm Sig Sauer is the best choice in this case. Oh! Wait, that's another thread. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I've seen, and been so myself, persons who come and do not shoot well, but have a happy attitude and GET THE ROLLS! Now if you are say a A+ and above player, there becomes more of an intended science to runs and rolls to perfection, so YES, you aren't playing well, your rolls won't come either. There are simply some lucky,lucky local players who orbit around being a B to A player status. I guess I would admit that even they have more good rolls when their game is 80%. Still it's either an attitude, or just something within certain individual people...good things happen to them. I'm talking about 9-ball mostly, which does make a difference. My hooks many times are not planned like they roll for me. I don't say a thing, but keep on playing.

As far as all you higher level players getting better rolls when you are playing well...I'd say that the proficiency of your best game is coming through on the rolls, plus the mind is happy and the negatives don't creep in. I agree, and yet disagree with shooting well creating good rolls. The luck factor in rolls just works for some carefree players, no matter how well they are playing overall...sid

wolfdancer
03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't know enough about the game to comment, but there was this well liked guy,who just couldn't seem to win a pool tournament, and most folks wanted to see him win one.
It's the finals and the score is tied....and I couldn't have come up with this story on my own...it's too "Hollywood"
He does miss and hangs the 8 ball in a corner pocket, leaving the guy a long cut on his last ball. The guy misses....The CB settles down frozen to the end rail, and the missed ball comes down on top of it, freezing to it. There may have been a shot that Efran could have pulled off, but nobody at this level could.
He had one more chance to win a couple of years later.....against me in the finals....and I remember thinking....should I dump? But, hey, it's pool and if you are playing your grandmother a race to 3, you try to win 3-0.
I lucked out, got more then my share of the rolls...oops...
Think it was the last event I ever won....sometime back in the late 80's. It's been a long dry spell, but I just got a new tip put on, and....

wolfdancer
03-31-2010, 12:07 AM
As I've always said, and believe it it is now the slogan at some auto plant in Ala.:
"Be happy in your work"

hondo
03-31-2010, 06:20 AM
You big bully! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
03-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Nah. I've seen players who are playing bad get good rolls. I think it's just that it's more noticible when a player who's playing well gets a few good rolls. The opponent sure notices it more.

I don't buy into the theory that it's because you're hitting the ball well. Hey, luck is luck.

hondo
03-31-2010, 06:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah. I've seen players who are playing bad get good rolls. I think it's just that it's more noticible when a player who's playing well gets a few good rolls. The opponent sure notices it more.

I don't buy into the theory that it's because you're hitting the ball well. Hey, luck is luck. </div></div>

LOL! You guys are taking all the mysticism out of pool for me. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I still believe in the Pool Gods.

Fran Crimi
03-31-2010, 06:56 AM
Hey, I definitely believe in Pool Gods. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It's just that they tend to be fickle. One day they like you and tne next day you're dirt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

JJFSTAR
03-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Fran is definitely correct it is just a matter of what sticks out in every ones mind both player and spectator. There are no “lucky Joes” or “jinxed” persons. Over time the table is going to react the same way for everyone. It is very memorable when someone who doesn’t know where the CB is going knocks around 5 or 6 of their opponents balls only to come up in perfect position for the 8. It is also very memorable when someone who is really good comes 3mm too far with the CB and hooks themselves on a fairly open table, its not mysticism.

How often have you heard intermediate players say “I make the hard ones and miss the easy ones”. Of course this is absurd. But why does that sometimes seem to be the case? The focus and concentration on the more difficult shots and the lack of it on “easy” shots combined with what sticks out in the minds of both player and spectator make it all seem to add up that way but it isn’t really true.

hondo
03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I definitely believe in Pool Gods. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

It's just that they tend to be fickle. One day they like you and tne next day you're dirt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif </div></div>
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Deeman3
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I've always said, and believe it it is now the slogan at some auto plant in Ala.:
"Be happy in your work" </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"> Jack,

That's "Be happy in your work and carry a big stick!" </span>