PDA

View Full Version : jargon

02-27-2002, 04:10 AM
I was playing pool tonight and something just got me thinking. What do you call girls who just hang around pool players? They don't play pool and usually have no interest in playing pool. Their interests is with the players and the surroundings. I can imagine that some people have an interest in the game without being interested in playing, but I'm talking about those girls (just girls it seems) who just hang out and seem to be dating (or whatever) a different pool player every week and somehow believe this makes them an expert on the game. I just started thinking that there has to be a name for them. My husband is a retired skater and they called those girls "Skate Betty's." A "Skate Betty" is not always a negative term however. A friend of mine is gay, and he calls girls who hang out with gay men "Fag Hags." Again, it is not always used negatively. But I'm talking negative here. Is there such a term for women who so graciously offer their services to pool players? And does anyone know these women I am referring to? Am I alone here?

Chris Cass
02-27-2002, 08:06 AM
Hi,
I know exactly what you mean. I have this friend named Steve, some call him Voodoo. He's a virtual babe magnet. 4 babes around him at all the times. He just attracts them with his friendly personality, charm and great sence of humor. He is Italian and we all know what that means. Wink Wink.

Just for the record I call them spectators. Now the ones that sleep with a player I call girlfriends. The ones that go around events to be with the players I call groupies. The ones I know, are called models.
Regards,
C.C.

Chris Cass
02-27-2002, 08:11 AM
Oh Stacy,
Forgot to tell you to have faith in your husband. I'm sure he pays no attention to these girls.
C.C.

Doctor_D
02-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Good morning Stacy:

I like to refer to them as "Pool Groupies"! Additionally, as it has been my first hand experience, there are many Male Pool groupies hanging around the women as well. Some people, male or female, just need to be around popular and/or high profile players.

Dr. D.

JimS
02-27-2002, 10:09 AM
I'm thinkin you have already described them to yourself in some pretty descriptive terms! Doubt if you need my help in that department. Regards, Jim S /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SPetty
02-27-2002, 10:18 AM
I've heard the term "Lot Lizard" refer to the women who hang around truck drivers... Don't know the pool term though.

rackmup
02-27-2002, 10:22 AM
Being happily engaged, I have NO knowledge of what you are talking about. To be perfectly honest, I have never even noticed another woman in the room, other than my fiance'. Honest. Really. I didn't even see that one with the short skirt, bending over table 13. Really.

I'm sorry...I don't know the answer to your question.

Regards,

Ken (secretly wishes he had groupies, girlfriends, skate bettys, floosies, hookers, whatever.)

cheesemouse
02-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Stacey,
Where I'm from we don't have them but we need them /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

cuechick
02-27-2002, 11:42 AM
Where I play all the women are players, but I do see some women who just hang around at ABC, only I assume because it has a bar. I do see a lot of men that hang around and watch but never play (railbirds) I am sure some rooms have their groupies of either sex. Pool for some is an inatainable skill and attracks all kinds. I would ask these women in your room why they don't pick up a cue?

heater451
02-27-2002, 12:04 PM
I usually refer to them as "Pool Widows".

. . .but, now I think "Pool Widow<font color=blue>er</font color=blue>" sounds weird, considering Equal Opp. . . .

Kato
02-27-2002, 01:33 PM
I would like several pool groupies to hang all around me please.

Kato~~~non pool groupie magnet.

02-27-2002, 01:36 PM
I am obviously not playing in the right places. Most women would need an an armed guard in the places I play. :-(

02-27-2002, 01:58 PM
Dr. D,

The term around my area for the situation you describe (pool groupies with no sexual intentions) is "googan".

A pool googan can also connote an equipment freak.

- Steve Lipsky

MinnesotaSlim
02-27-2002, 02:28 PM
cue swallows

ball rackers

Felt Feelers

Chalk Holders

Ferrel Lickers

Cue Tipsies

Bank Shot Bimbos

Carrum Coolies

Nine-ball Nymphs

Snooker Lookers

Triangle Tramps

Green Rail Girls

Pocket Stuffers

Diamond System Divas

Irish Linen Lolitas

Ball in Handers

Cue Ball Queens

Just a few that came to mind.

02-27-2002, 03:22 PM
You're right. I was pretty bitter when I wrote the message. I think I was just looking for a specific term so that I do not let any of my own terms slip out one day.

02-27-2002, 03:25 PM
sorry, i forgot to put my name. the above message is from me.

02-27-2002, 03:30 PM
My husband really has nothing to do with my question. I haven't even had the chance to get his opinion. I just witnessed one of these women mess up a game last night. It really had little to do with me either, but enough to get me wondering and a little bit mad. I do appreciate your comment though. I hope I'll never have anything to be concerned about.

02-27-2002, 03:33 PM
Thank you! I like nine-ball nymphs.

TomBrooklyn
02-27-2002, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stacy:</font><hr>What do you call girls who just hang around pool players? They don't play pool and usually have no interest in playing pool. Their interests is with the players and the surroundings....(just girls it seems) who just hang out and seem to be dating (or whatever) a different pool player every week...<hr></blockquote>I've never seen any groupies. I've seen girls come to play with guys, where it's obvious the guys know how to play some and the girls don't; but I've never seen girls just hanging around who didn't come with a guy or to play. Pool needs more groupies. If you see any, make them feel welcome. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Chris Cass
02-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Hi Stacy,
Funny you should mention it. Where I play there's a young single college student that attends only a couple classes a day and then comes to the ph. She's a pretty thing that, has a body a lot of men enjoy looking at. She doesn't shoot pool and I play all day. I'll practice by myself if no ones around to match up with.

This girl comes over and sits right in front of my table and watches me shoot. She'll start talking to me as I'm shooting. I'll give the usual answer when anyone talks to me when I'm shooting, ya uh huh. Then I'll look up and she's gone off somewhere. I told my wife about her because my wife sometimes pops in and says hi. It's rare but, I let her know if some young kid is there watching me shoot when you come in, it's only Jackie.

When I'm shooting she'll say to me after a while, Well don't you have anything to say? I'll look at her and say, Don't you have something to do? She'll get right up and walk away. She's really a nice girl though and it's nothing but bordem. I always tell her she talks too much.

She always manages to say goodbye and hello when she sees me but I always look at her and say, Your not gonna start talking for a long time are you? LOL Don't ask me why but theres young people who enjoy the laid back atmosphere of the ph. I did when I was young and pool players are somewhat entertainers. There's a lot of respect in playing well and a good player is treated as a celebrity sometimes. I'm not one of them though. LOL I'm sure your husband is smart and can weigh the difference between a good marriage and the loss of one. I know I do.
Regards,
C.C.