PDA

View Full Version : AEI "Think" Tank, Fires David Frum For Thinking

Gayle in MD
03-26-2010, 03:37 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David Frum, onetime coiner of the phrase "axis of evil," but more recently a persistent critic of the increasing Palinization of the Republican Party, was fired today by the American Enterprise Institute, the conservative think tank he's worked at since leaving the Bush administration. Bruce Bartlett, another reform conservative who was fired by a think tank for being too critical of Republicans, comments:

Since, he is no longer affiliated with AEI, I feel free to say publicly something he told me in private a few months ago. He asked if I had noticed any comments by AEI "scholars" on the subject of health care reform. I said no and he said that was because they had been ordered not to speak to the media because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do.

It saddened me to hear this. I have always hoped that my experience was unique. But now I see that I was just the first to suffer from a closing of the conservative mind. Rigid conformity is being enforced, no dissent is allowed, and the conservative brain will slowly shrivel into dementia if it hasn't already.

This shouldn't come as any big surprise. As many, many people have pointed out, the reform bill we ended up with is very similar to both the 1993 Republican counterproposal to Clintoncare and to Mitt Romney's healthcare plan for Massachusetts. Of course there were lots of honest conservative health wonks who, even if they opposed parts of it, were basically sympathetic to the overall superstructure.

But this wasn't a battle where wonks were welcome on the conservative side. It was a battle for political dominance. It was a battle to see if Sarah Palin would be the new face of the conservative movement. And now she is.

</div></div>
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2010/03/david-frum-fired-aei

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paul Krugman

March 25, 2010, 5:21 pm
David Frum, AEI, Heritage And Health Care
David Frum* has been fired by the American Enterprise Institute; one has to assume that this is a response to his outspokenness about the Republican failure on health reform.

In discussing the Frum firing, Bruce Bartlett asserts that AEI has muzzled its health-care experts, because the truth is that they agree with a lot of what Obama is proposing. I find this quite believable; back in 2003 Stuart Butler of the Heritage Foundation, which is supposedly harder-right than AEI, proposed a health care reform consisting of … drumroll … an individual mandate coupled with subsidies to make insurance affordable. In short, Obamacare.

I was struck, by the way, by Butler’s recommendation that we

Provide support to people to obtain health care based on their need, not where they happen to work, or their eligibility for welfare, or their military record, or their age.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need?

*I’m informed, by family members, that Frum is a distant cousin of yours truly.
</div></div>

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/david-frum-aei-heritage-and-health-care/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee-Anne Goodman

The Canadian Press
Published on Thursday, Mar. 25, 2010 11:55PM EDT

Last updated on Friday, Mar. 26, 2010 12:03AM EDT

David Frum, the Canadian-born conservative pundit who has been harshly critical of the Republican battle plan against President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul, is unapologetic after being fired Thursday from a right-wing think tank.

“I'm going to remain a conservative whether they want me or not,” Frum told The Canadian Press on Thursday night following his ouster from the American Enterprise Institute, adding he was saddened by the turn of events.

“In a democracy, there are competing teams, and each team has to bring its best game to the table ... health-care reform is here to stay, it isn't going to be repealed, and it was within our grasp to help formulate it and we failed to do so. Instead, we decided to do whatever we could to make Democrats look wicked and evil.”

On Sunday, Mr. Frum wrote on his website, FrumForum, that health-care reform had been a debacle for the Republican party, saying they'd “suffered their most crushing legislative defeat since the 1960s.”

“A huge part of the blame for today's disaster attaches to conservatives and Republicans ourselves,” he wrote. “At the beginning of this process we made a strategic decision: unlike, say, Democrats in 2001 when President Bush proposed his first tax cut, we would make no deal with the administration. No negotiations, no compromise, nothing.”

While Republicans predicted months ago that health-care reform would be Mr. Obama's “Waterloo,” Mr. Frum wrote: “It's Waterloo all right: ours.”

The White House press secretary gleefully Tweeted Mr. Frum's blog post on Sunday. His ouster from the American Enterprise Institute came a day after the Wall Street Journal assailed Mr. Frum, a former speechwriter for George W. Bush and son of late Canadian broadcaster Barbara Frum.

“Mr. Frum now makes his living as the media's go-to basher of fellow Republicans,” the Journal wrote. “But he's peddling bad revisionist history that would have been even worse politics.”

Mr. Frum said while he was sad about the dismissal, he'd been in a similar situation before, albeit north of the border — at odds with the conservative movement for an unpopular but ultimately correct stance.

“Back in ‘95, I said that PCs and reformers were going to have to come together and to work together, and I didn't say that because I was a liberal. History proved me right,” he said.

Mr. Frum, now a U.S. citizen, made a name for himself in Washington for penning Bush's “axis of evil” remarks in the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001. In recent months, he's angered some conservatives for his criticisms of Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin.

</div></div>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...article1512668/ (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/david-frum-fired-after-criticizing-republicans/article1512668/)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frum Is Fired By AEI
25 Mar 2010 04:41 pm

David posts his resignation letter and insists it had nothing to do with his recent scathing criticism of the GOP. Bruce Bartlett sympathizes:

I don't know all the details, but I presume that his Waterloo post on Sunday condemning Republicans for failing to work with Democrats on healthcare reform was the final straw.

Since, he is no longer affiliated with AEI, I feel free to say publicly something he told me in private a few months ago. He asked if I had noticed any comments by AEI "scholars" on the subject of health care reform. I said no and he said that was because they had been ordered not to speak to the media because they agreed with too much of what Obama was trying to do.

It saddened me to hear this. I have always hoped that my experience was unique.

But now I see that I was just the first to suffer from a closing of the conservative mind. Rigid conformity is being enforced, no dissent is allowed, and the conservative brain will slowly shrivel into dementia if it hasn't already.

Sadly, there is no place for David and me to go. The donor community is only interested in financing organizations that parrot the party line, such as the one recently established by McCain economic adviser Doug Holtz-Eakin.

I'm lucky I have a blog.

</div></div>

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/03/frum-is-fired-by-aei.html

eg8r
03-26-2010, 03:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In discussing the Frum firing, Bruce Bartlett asserts that AEI has muzzled its health-care experts, because the truth is that they agree with a lot of what Obama is proposing.</div></div>Any chance you could get qtip to do the legwork for you and google the things they disagree on what Obama is proposing?

eg8r

llotter
03-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Frum deserved to get the boot and I am pleased that AEI is finally more forcefully representing conservative values. Purge the RINOs and Republicans might get their spine back.

wolfdancer
03-27-2010, 02:40 PM
she just posted, quoting from other media sources, and included the links.
I don't see anything wrong with that;... also don't see why it would matter if Q gave her those links, OR, she found them on her own?

eg8r
03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with it. The part of the article that I posted was ambiguous and wanted clarification. She likes to denote when someone agrees with Obama (this time it is only some of the stuff) so I was wondering if she would go the extra mile to understand what they "disagreed" with Obama on. Why is it wrong to ask the question?

eg8r