PDA

View Full Version : placement of cb

bluewolf
08-19-2002, 01:45 PM
i have heard of the ghost ball. dont know how many of you use that. what works best, but not perfectly for me is to draw an imaginary line from the pocket thru the ob and see where the cb is supposed to be.i guess one day when i am real esperienced, i will know the shots so well i wont have to draw this imaginary line. then i will just do it by feel, but i aint there yet.it does seem that outside eng works better for me though since i tend to cut too thin.

bluewolf

shayla
08-19-2002, 01:53 PM
When I first started playing pool, I worked a lot with the 'ghost ball'. I would make that same imaginary line from the pocket to the object ball and see where I had to hit the object ball. I would physically place a different ball right where I needed to hit the object ball. This was to help me actually see the ghost ball. I would move my ghost ball out of the way, hit the cue ball so that it would "replace" my ghost ball, and the object ball would usually get pocketed. This really helped a lot at first. I don't have to do it anymore, but I use that technique when I try to teach (and I use that word lightly) a beginner how to play pool without confusing them with a whole bunch of pool-lingo. It seems to work for beginners to help them get a feel for aiming.

TomBrooklyn
08-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Quote: bluewolf: It does seem that outside eng works better for me though since i tend to cut too thin.

I prefer to hit the OB in the right place and not compensate for a mis-aimed shot with the application of english.

I do use english to throw the OB sometimes when I can't quite hit the right spot because of a ball partially blocking the cue ball.

Jay M
08-19-2002, 09:50 PM
The system you are describing is the "Contact Point" system. It's a good system to use as long as you remember that the point you come up with is where the cue ball CONTACTS the OB, not where you aim.

Yes, once you have used a system long enough, you will start to see the angles without having to go through the process first.

Ghost ball is similar to contact point, but it's built around picturing where the aiming point is, rather than the contact point.

Both systems are equally viable, but I wouldn't recommend mixing the two as you will start to hit the "50 yard line", that magical spot between where you want to aim and where you want to contact which inevitably results in a missed ball.

Jay M

Cueless Joey
08-19-2002, 11:25 PM
Blue, try this to see if it works for you.
When you are down, imagine the cueball hitting the object and PAST that point. Like a tunnel (of a cueball's circumference or even just the width) going thru the ob at the correct angle.
You might be pleasantly surprised.

08-20-2002, 09:13 AM
Why? Why would you use any system so much that you can do it without thinkin when you could just play pool enough to do that without thinking. Play pool until you're just as good as you're ever going to be! Don't use the systems other people use to feel like they're progressing, just play pool until you know you're progressing! There's no way more effective i assure you.

bluewolf
08-20-2002, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Blue, try this to see if it works for you.
When you are down, imagine the cueball hitting the object and PAST that point. Like a tunnel (of a cueball's circumference or even just the width) going thru the ob at the correct angle.
You might be pleasantly surprised. <hr></blockquote>

thanks. this makes sense

bluewolf

dave
08-20-2002, 10:15 AM
I would like to add an element that has helped me to visualize the ghost ball a little more accurately. In addition to visualizing the ghost ball and the line to the pocket; I picture the location of the center of the base of the ghost ball ,where it would touch the cloth( the vertical axis), on that line to the pocket. It helps me to see the size and location of the ghost ball more accurately.