PDA

View Full Version : wiping cue tips after play

08-19-2002, 03:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm a first time poster but have been following the posts for a while.. anyway, I was how many of you guys clean the chalk off your tips before putting ur shafts back in the case? I have a guiseppe case and put the shafts in tip down, so i dont like the idea of having chalk clinging in the side walls and leaving residue on my shaft. What I do is i'll either grind it down into the carpet (the place i play at has blue carpet so it doesnt really show), or wipe it off with a paper napkin. But every time I do this, it mats down the tip, requiring me to tap it every time before i play. What do you guys think of this?

08-19-2002, 03:21 PM
ur doing fine as long as you don't rub the tip hard just wipe it lightly, that's what I do.

Nostroke
08-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Whats funny to me us that in the first 10 years + of hangin around pool rooms, i never saw a single person do this. In the last year and a half almost everyone does it!

If there is any chalk inside my case, it must be behaving itself. NO remedial action seems to be required.

I think it is mostly a "look at me" thing, much like Pounding the bottom of your Snapple bottle for ten minutes rather than a simple shake.

SpiderMan
08-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Raymond,

I've been doing the same for years. With triangle tips, I don't notice any loss of chalk-holding performance despite the burnishing of the tip on the carpet.

SpiderMan

08-19-2002, 05:15 PM
What is the purpose of wiping the tip? Does it serve a useful purpose, like prolonging the life of the tip?? Or is it just to keep chalk out of the cue case?

shayla
08-19-2002, 05:24 PM
I used to do the exact same thing because I put my cue tips down tip first. After doing this for about 5 years or so, a much more seasoned player suggested that I don't wipe my cue on the floor. His point was that you don't know whats on the carpet that could stick to your tip. After he said that, I always can't help but notice the stuff on the carpets now. Gum seems to be the most popular! So, I just stick my tip in my case without cleaning and just make it a point to clean my shaft a little more often. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-19-2002, 05:28 PM
I do this. I don't see much drop in the tip's ability to hold chalk. But I also rotate among 4 shafts. I do have to scuff occasionally, but that's not abnormal.

Depending on what kind of equipment you have, having to scuff every once in a while and replace tips slightly more often than normal is a small price to pay to avoid permanently "damaging" a nice, expensive case.

Sid_Vicious
08-19-2002, 07:41 PM
Keeps chalk out of the case, tube cases especially. As far as the carpet being contaminated, well I shoot in PHs with reasonable carpet. If not I'll use the napkin. Let's get real though, "Carpet soiling a tip and making it shoot negatively?" Don't worry so much, just play with the thing and keep the chalk out of your case, grinding into carpet is acceptable. Carpets are basically the least of your worries...sid

Troy
08-19-2002, 08:32 PM
Like many players, I too clean my tip using the carpet and have been doing this for years. One thing though, I do NOT "grind" as you say, but give it a simple and gentle twist. I don't notice any need to bang my tips with a tapper or a pic.

I've had a couple room owners complain, but carpet cleaning in a pool room is just part of daily maintenance.

Troy...~~~ Has been known to vacuum a carpet on occasion... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Elvis
08-19-2002, 09:08 PM
You guys are gonna laugh at me but I got in the habit of wiping the chalk off the tip after I got an Instroke case. Ended up playing at a friend's house alot and he had off-white carpet. I ruined a pair of Airwalks by wiping the chalk off on the toe area. Blue chalk, tan shoes and one frustrated wife.

rackmup
08-20-2002, 05:29 AM
I carry a very small cordless drill and some custom-made mini-buffing pads in the large compartment of my case. After play, I attach one of the buffing pads to the drill and gently remove the chalk from the tip. In the event I miss any chalk that might penetrate the tubes of my case, I also carry a small, battery operated vacuum cleaner with a long attachment that allows me to clean the interior of the tubes.

While the shafts receive the most attention, let's not forget the butt portion of the cue. If you use joint protectors, repeated installation and removal will leave a minute amount of the joint protector material on the pin and in the threaded portion of the shaft. For this, I carry a "Jeweler's loop" and several very sharp dental instruments. The loop allows me to see the waste material in the threads of the pin and the dental pics are used to scrape and remove the unwanted debris. I utilize a small amount of isopropyl alcohol and q-tip swabs for the threaded area of the shaft. These are also carried in the large pocket of my case.

For the finish on the butt, I carry a small container of carnuba wax, three grades of buffing/polishing cloths and a small container of "Armor-All". This leaves my cue looking brand new.

Occasionally, the rubber bumper (on the butt of the cue) becomes soiled from resting on the ground. For this, I carry a small container of elastopolymeric conditioner and have recently been placing a small, lint-free towel on the floor for the cue to stand on.

If you use a break cue, it needs special treatment as well. The tip of the cue needs the most attention. After a long, hard day of breaking, your tip deserves a break as well. I send my entire cue to "Dared's Day Spa of Arlington". While there, the attendants polish the butt and exfoliate the tip using a composition of seaweed and mustard grass. My break cue also seems to enjoy the soothing massages and the albacore tuna sandwiches they serve. On occasion, my jump cue receives the same treatment.

Finally, I treat the leather exterior of my case to a rubdown consisting of leather conditioners and a special "Ricardo Montolban Corinthian Leather" oil and glyceride emoliant composition that keeps it soft and supple.

I take care of my Irish linen wrap through gentle wiping with a special horse-hair impregnated cloth.

On another subject, I am looking for a bigger cue case. Mine doesn't have enough room for chalk, tip shapers and the small humidifier that I wish to carry with me to the pool room. The humidifier? It's to keep the area around my case and cues from becoming too arid. Nothing worse than a dry, flaky shaft.

Regards,

Ken (rubs the tip into the carpet because everyone else does it. I thought it was some sort of ritual)

Kato
08-20-2002, 08:50 AM
I've played with Triangle tips for the last 5 years and have ground my tips into the carpet after play. When playing at home I use a napkin or paper towel. I also clean my shafts after use before putting them in my case. So far no difficuties.

Kato

9 Ball Girl
08-20-2002, 09:05 AM

08-20-2002, 09:17 AM

08-20-2002, 09:36 AM
I've seen his drag out half of what he said from his long pouch ;-) It looked like one of those magicians pulling rabbits out of a hat. sid~~~was ready to ask where he got a couple of those gadgits about half way down into the post, DOH!

=k=
08-20-2002, 09:58 AM
ken you are a riot.. running out now to trade instroke off on golf bag.. hmmmm maybe need a pool caddie also.. K

08-20-2002, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> I've played with Triangle tips for the last 5 years and have ground my tips into the carpet after play. When playing at home I use a napkin or paper towel. I also clean my shafts after use before putting them in my case. So far no difficuties.

Kato <hr></blockquote>

I 'ground my tips into the carpet after play' at the poolroom but use a napkin or a paper towel at home.

Think about it.BS

08-20-2002, 10:26 AM

Kato
08-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Shoot, if it was my house I'd put the same carpet they put in the pool room just so I could do that. Sorry Anon, I've never once had a room owner or manager tell me not to do it. If one did I'd certainly respect their wishes.

Kato

rackmup
08-20-2002, 11:54 AM
For you golfers...think about the tee boxes:

The course provides you with a ball washer with brush plates mounted at the base for cleaning your spikes. Some even provide a little towel for cleaning your clubs and drying your ball.

Pool room owners should provide something similar:

Say...a keg of beer at every table, mounted on a pole, cooled by freon and a little box at the base of the pole that houses a little piece of carpet for the tips to be cleaned on. By the way...the beer should be free, just like the soapy water in the ball washers at the local links.

Good idea, huh?

Regards,

Ken (home for lunch and thinkin' of the well-being of my fellow CCB'ers)

PQQLK9
08-20-2002, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> For you golfers...think about the tee boxes:

The course provides you with a ball washer with brush plates mounted at the base for cleaning your spikes. Some even provide a little towel for cleaning your clubs and drying your ball.

Pool room owners should provide something similar:

<hr></blockquote>
Champion Billiards Cafe in Rockville,Md has Bathroom type sinks at every table