PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of yoursef?

hondo
03-29-2010, 12:41 PM
One of my favorite songs is "Alright Guy" by Todd Snider.
Some of you may be familiar with the Gary Allen version.

We all have a mindset on how we really are.
And we all tend to justify our faults.

In the song Snider was a real rascal but saw himself as an " Alright Guy."

How do you see yourself?
Does this conflict with the way others see you? How?

eg8r
03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
I see myself as an person who will tell you what is on my mind, no games.

eg8r

hondo
03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for responding.

wolfdancer
03-29-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm much too modest to post such superlatives about myself, but I
do have an opinion re: another member here.
To express that in mere words,I could not have topped this quote from "The Manchurian Candidate" (note, I have not named this amazing person, as I fear that he also, is too modest for such accolades...I can only reveal, it ain't JohnnyD, nor Bubba.
" <s>Raymond Shaw</s> er,*** is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life".

Gayle in MD
03-29-2010, 02:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my favorite songs is "Alright Guy" by Todd Snider.
Some of you may be familiar with the Gary Allen version.

We all have a mindset on how we really are.
And we all tend to justify our faults.

In the song Snider was a real rascal but saw himself as an " Alright Guy."

How do you see yourself?
Does this conflict with the way others see you? How? </div></div>

Here's one opinion of myself. I see myself as a very lucky person, partially because I seem to find so many good friends.

Among them, you, Dick Leonard, Wolf, Martin, (Sid Vicious) MadMac, Naz, Wendy, miss them both, and I consider Sack a friend, and Deeman, when he's not having a bad day...although we don't see eye to eye on most things, I still consider them friends.

I see myself as a good wife, and mother, mother-in-law, and grand mother, whose first plesure in life is her family, for whom she is always there, and glad to help in any way...I'm a gardener, a pianist, and a nature lover, an avid reader, and a very loyal friend to all of the friends I have had the good fortune to collect over my years, who have been loyal to me.

I see myself as strong, and reliable, and able to know when to get away from negative forces around me.....I think I've learned to love and accept myself enough to do a fair job at protecting myself from those unhappy, insecure types, who harbor their grudges, abd wear them as badges, never letting go, never letting up, never having the sense to back off when there is an obvious clash, which will find no reconciliation.

I've had a number of experiences when my sixth sense really saved me in that regard, and often have esp experiences with others who are close to me...I think we all have those moments.

Lately, I see myself as a cancer survivor, who probably will not live the much longer life I had origially thought I would have. But I've never been one who wanted to be dragging around until I dropped over....holding on by my fingernails. I don't mind checking out a little early, to make more room for the young.

I have had the best life anyone could ask for, full of love, lost of hard work and many pleasures. Every day is a gift, and every day is a pleasure.

G.

I see myself as LUCKY! Very lucky!

pooltchr
03-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I love doing what I do....what more could one ask out of life?
My family and friends are the only people who's opinion of me matters.
I cook myself in the mirror and know I have worked to make a difference
I go to bed at night knowing I've given my best to the day.

Could I be a better person? Absolutely! It's good to have goals.

Steve

LWW
03-29-2010, 02:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lately, I see myself as a cancer survivor, who probably will not live the much longer life I had origially thought I would have.

G.</div></div>

In spite of our differences, here's my sincerest hopes and prayers that you aren't even half way to the end of your many years yet and that the balance of those years is as smooth as new asphalt under a new Cadillac.

LWW

Deeman3
03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
"Here I am, I can do no otherwise, so help me God."

I wish I had saids that, originally.

I have many friends of many flavors, here and elsewhere but very few who would describe me as a close friend, I think.

Mostly what I need and am lucky to have is a good wife. The rest is just blessings heaped on a very undeserving man.

hondo
03-29-2010, 05:01 PM
That was very nice, Gayle. Thanks for sharing.

We love you, dear.

hondo
03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for posting, Steve.

hondo
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Here I am, I can do no otherwise, so help me God."

I have many friends of many flavors, here and elsewhere but very few who would describe me as a close friend, I think.

Mostly what I need and am lucky to have is a good wife. The rest is just blessings heaped on a very undeserving man. </div></div>

A good wife is a blessing indeed, Dee.

When I introduced my wife to Jeannette Lee once, she said,
"You're married to Hondo! You have my sympathy."

I get that a lot for some reason. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

cushioncrawler
03-29-2010, 05:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my favorite songs is "Alright Guy" by Todd Snider. Some of you may be familiar with the Gary Allen version.
We all have a mindset on how we really are. And we all tend to justify our faults. In the song Snider was a real rascal but saw himself as an " Alright Guy." How do you see yourself? Does this conflict with the way others see you? How?</div></div>I think we all hav multiple selfs -- one self per each acquantance. And i think we all tend to become what others think we are. Say that some say that u are the funnyest guy around -- in their company u tend to try to be funny.
Most who dont know me well think that i am a selfish lazy opinionated bastard -- and they are korrekt. Its not that i disagree with them -- i agree with them -- its just that i hav a different opinion, i see selfish and lazy and opinionated az being good. Re "bastard" -- that just means that they disagree with my opinions.
madMac.

wolfdancer
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
She's like that. When she was working at Chalkers in Emeryville, I tried to share some of my pool knowledge with here, and give her e few good tips....but she kind of glared at me, so I backed off.
This probably delayed her game development, as she had to then dig this stuff out by experience, or through several others.
I also met Allison once, but was too busy at the time to offer her any assistance. They'll both now have to wait for my book to come out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hondo
03-29-2010, 05:33 PM
I guess it's my turn.

My favorite poet was Dylan Thomas.
He was quite a mess of contradictions.
At times very mystical, loving, passionate, romantic.
Fierce in his attention to things he cared about.

But he was the original " No Show Jones."
While they would be waiting for him in a concert hall, he would be down at the local saloon, drinking, chasing the wenches.

Quick to tears, quick to anger.
A wife who tolerated him because she loved him and he loved her.

A fierce love for God and a fierce love for women.

Obsessive-compulsive.

A few close friends but essentially a loner.
And yet always about.

A big mouth. Impulsive. Emotional.

That's pretty much the way I see myself.

I don't suffer fools gladly and I hate hypocrites.
Quick to anger if I feel I've been dis-respected.

I'm very much the typical Gemini and, as Trooper pointed out in a PM, I definitely have two sides.

How do others see me?
Well, obviously , not very well on here.

Around Clarksburg, I am pretty highly respected by those who watched me growing up.
They know how poor I was as a kid, and they admire that I taught for 30 years rather than ending up in prison or O'D'd or killed in war
like many of my acquaintances.

The law is another matter. I've had friends who are cops, good friends, but the law still sees me as trouble.
Oh, well, they shouldn't believe everything they hear.

About 80% of my students liked me and many said I was their favorite teacher.
That meant a lot to me.
All I ever wanted to do was teach and that's why Johnny D's
and ugo's comments are so painful to me.

My family and my career are my proudest moments.

hondo
03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing.

hondo
03-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Oh, she said it in good humor.
I thought it was funny.

I find her a delightful person. And beautiful.

sack316
03-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm the classic underachiever.

I usually have the best of intentions, but quite often some of my own self-destructive tendencies get in the way for both myself and others.

But I work hard on myself, and try to learn from each mistake. I have a world of potential, just waiting for that next chance to reach it after many years of screwing up.

But I am an honest person, and would do anything in the world for the people I care about. So regardless of what I may achieve personally, I believe that part of me will shine through the most.

Sack

sack316
03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
oh, and do go with the song theme Hondo started, I've been told "Desperado" applies well to my life and choices.

hondo
03-29-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks for sharing, Sack.

hondo
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, and do go with the song theme Hondo started, I've been told "Desperado" applies well to my life and choices. </div></div>

Hank Jr. always spoke to me, unfortunately : "Women I Never Had", Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound", " If I get stoned and sing all night long, it's just a 'Family Tradition' "

Gayle in MD
03-30-2010, 12:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, and do go with the song theme Hondo started, I've been told "Desperado" applies well to my life and choices. </div></div>

Wow Sack, that really hits a mark with me. One of my "Sons" as you know.... we raised Jim's brothers after his Mom died, anyway, they're all sons to me, but one of them really got into drugs. I thought we'd never get him away from them. REally wenty through hell with that one. There was a time when I broke down every time I heard that song, it was his song, for sure.

He's OK now. So are you! That's the great thing about lie. Everyday, is a whole new opprotunity. The only thing that is real, is what you DO!

Love,
Gayle

Under
03-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for posting.

What tripe this thread is? Pour out your positive but preferably negative self views.

Then the supportive "Thanks for posting." "insert name here" response.

It is all information gathering for this scum of the earth.

Look at the other posts. Do you think the right ... will kill?
All BS.
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>
The primary forum troll in the fishing mode.</span>

wolfdancer
03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
She is a nice person, but she was just trying to work on her game at the time...already had a great game, but trying to kick it one one notch to not only be able to compete at the pro level, but to win. Anyway, guys at my speed, would see a woman practicing and with good intentions, start offering advice...she probably could have given them the last 3 at the time...to get rid of them, she had to appear to be unfriendly.

LWW
03-30-2010, 02:57 PM
You are wise beyond your years grasshopper.

LWW

hondo
03-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks for posting, slide rule.

sack316
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, and do go with the song theme Hondo started, I've been told "Desperado" applies well to my life and choices. </div></div>

Wow Sack, that really hits a mark with me. One of my "Sons" as you know.... we raised Jim's brothers after his Mom died, anyway, they're all sons to me, but one of them really got into drugs. I thought we'd never get him away from them. REally wenty through hell with that one. There was a time when I broke down every time I heard that song, it was his song, for sure.

He's OK now. So are you! That's the great thing about lie. Everyday, is a whole new opprotunity. The only thing that is real, is what you DO!

Love,
Gayle </div></div>

Yeah, it's a strange thing. So much of my past screws up my life to this very day... and several things will follow me until the day I die. Certain opportunities I will now never have again.

Yet only a decade ago, I held the world in my hand. Straight A student on a baseball scholarship and being recruited by pro scouts.

To think of where I could have been by this point, is sometimes depressing. But then I think of how much better I am as a person after falling to the bottom, and now clawing and fighting my way back up. You learn who your true friends are, and I've learned to like myself a whole lot better than I did back when (though I didn't know it at the time).

I wish I had put myself in a better position in life. But guess it takes whatever it takes to get ya there. And honestly I wouldn't change a thing.

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-31-2010, 03:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, and do go with the song theme Hondo started, I've been told "Desperado" applies well to my life and choices. </div></div>

Love,
Gayle </div></div>

Yeah, it's a strange thing. So much of my past screws up my life to this very day... and several things will follow me until the day I die. Certain opportunities I will now never have again.

Yet only a decade ago, I held the world in my hand. Straight A student on a baseball scholarship and being recruited by pro scouts.

To think of where I could have been by this point, is sometimes depressing. But then I think of how much better I am as a person after falling to the bottom, and now clawing and fighting my way back up. You learn who your true friends are, and I've learned to like myself a whole lot better than I did back when (though I didn't know it at the time).

I wish I had put myself in a better position in life. But guess it takes whatever it takes to get ya there. And honestly I wouldn't change a thing.

Sack </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Sack,
You've got a whole lifetime ahead of you. Whatever happened in your past, was just an intersection along the road to the new life you're creating for yourself, now.

There isn't one of us who couldn't look back and identify paths taken, that are regretable in hind sight, and wonder, "what if" a different choice had been made, but it's the end product, that counts, and with your obvious courage, you're going to do just fine.

Good luck,
Love,
G.</span>

Under
04-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the compliment, but I am long in tooth, probably to be grasshopper.

Nice thought. It is appreciated.

Under
04-01-2010, 06:41 PM
You are welcome.

JohnnyD
04-01-2010, 08:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Here I am, I can do no otherwise, so help me God."

Mostly what I need and am lucky to have is a good wife. The rest is just blessings heaped on a very undeserving man. </div></div>

A good wife is a blessing indeed, Dee.

When I introduced my wife to Jeannette Lee once, she said,
"You're married to Hondo! You have my sympathy."

I get that a lot for some reason. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>They must have read about your trists with your maid.

JohnnyD
04-01-2010, 08:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are wise beyond your years grasshopper.

LWW </div></div> Thanks for posting,LWW.

hondo
04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
If I was the moderator, you'd be gone.

When I win the Powerball this weekend I'm going to buy both forums, and there will be changes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif