PDA

View Full Version : Bar Tables

Vapros
08-19-2002, 11:26 PM
I suppose this will stir up a hornet's nest, but what the hell...

I could never understand what attraction there could possibly be in bar tables, for pool players. They always seemed to me to be designed for occasional players who were not able to pocket balls on bigger tables; somewhere between nine foot tables and the 2 x 4 toys you buy for the kids under eight years old.

I'm aware that there is serious pool, including big money matches and tournaments, played on the bar tables - but I really don't know why. At least this is usually on level, well-kept tables. Going into a joint with insufficient room for play and insufficient lighting, and tables in poor shape, looks like wasted pool time, IMO.

It was not my intent to step on the toes of those CCBers who post here and play on the bar tables, but I am really curious. Am I the only one who feels this way? I am not a top player, but I have no time for those tables.

Chris Cass
08-19-2002, 11:37 PM
Hi Vapros,

I take no offense. Heck, I'll play in gravel. The bar box is really your short game while the 9 ft is your long game. I much rather play on 9 fts but there's nothing but bar box action where I'm from. That's a big problem for me right now. I've been playing on both and skip weeks and mths on end on the bar track.

The words touch and finnesse are the difference between the two. I'll let you figure which is which. The bigger the word the bigger the table. JMHO

Peoria bound,

C.C.

Cueless Joey
08-20-2002, 01:10 AM
I never liked them eithe. I've been playing 9-ball on big tables exclusively. The about 2 months back, I started playing 8-ball tourney on bar box. Dual elimination ,race to ONE. How do you like that? Hill-hill every match. I played on a big table again this weekeend. I matched up with a guy I know all night. I was happy with my game. The bar box 8-ball tourney taught me to concentrate well.
I also learn a few tricks on bar box 8-ball like the side-pockets are tougher, banks are actually tougher on bar boxes and play the percentages all the time.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-20-2002, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr>

I'm aware that there is serious pool, including big money matches and tournaments, played on the bar tables - but I really don't know why. At least this is usually on level, well-kept tables.

<hr></blockquote>

The APA and VNEA nationals are played on bar boxes because that's what the players are used to.

I think the key words above are "level, well-kept". There's nothing wrong with bar tables if they are well maintained IMO.

BTW I play on 7, 8, and 9 footers,

Sincerely,

Tha maintainer of the Reef Tavern bar tables /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif,

cheesemouse
08-20-2002, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr> I suppose this will stir up a hornet's nest, but what the hell...

I could never understand what attraction there could possibly be in bar tables, for pool players. They always seemed to me to be designed for occasional players who were not able to pocket balls on bigger tables; somewhere between nine foot tables and the 2 x 4 toys you buy for the kids under eight years old.

I'm aware that there is serious pool, including big money matches and tournaments, played on the bar tables - but I really don't know why. At least this is usually on level, well-kept tables. Going into a joint with insufficient room for play and insufficient lighting, and tables in poor shape, looks like wasted pool time, IMO.

It was not my intent to step on the toes of those CCBers who post here and play on the bar tables, but I am really curious. Am I the only one who feels this way? I am not a top player, but I have no time for those tables. <hr></blockquote>
Vapros,
In many areas of the country there are no other options, in these areas if you want to play pool the bartables are the only choice you have. As far as to how these pieces of crap came into being in the first place I think it is a simple matter of dollars per square foot. If your in the bar business and you have to make the choice of how to use your limited space the pool table often gets religated to least desireable space you have, if it wins a place at all. Even the small barbox takes up the space of, say, two or three booths or four or five free floating tables. If your just looking as dollars per square foot pool tables often get pushed right out the door in busy bars/restuarants.

Rich R.
08-20-2002, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
The APA and VNEA nationals are played on bar boxes because that's what the players are used to. <hr></blockquote>
I think you have to alter your statement Wally. I play in two different APA leagues. That is two totally different APA areas, with different league operators. Both of these leagues are totally in-house, not traveling, and we play on 9' GC's in both. Although most APA and VNEA players may be used to the bar boxes, that is not the case for everyone. When we get into the regional playoffs and the national qualifier rounds, we have to adjust our games because those are played on bar boxes. Converting to play with the heavier cue ball on a small table, sometimes level, is a major change when used to playing on GC's with Centennial balls.
I think the APA should start a seperate division for 9' tables.
Rich R.

Elvis
08-20-2002, 08:01 AM
Bar boxes are the only option where I am from. Most are in pretty good shape but some are not. Gotta drive about 60 miles to play on a 9 footer.

bluewolf
08-20-2002, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr> I suppose this will stir up a hornet's nest, but what the hell...

I could never understand what attraction there could possibly be in bar tables, for pool players.

you are not alone. when i started playing pool i liked the 4x8. i was not good enuff to do well on the nine foot ones. the only shots i could make were the long straight shots only because my stroke was good. one day the 9 ft tables no longer looked too big to me, they just looked like a regular table, so i figured i had gotten over some kind of hump.

i have a nice 4x8 but gosh, compared to the 9ft, if i get the ball anywhere near the pocket it falls in so was concerned about my accuracy. i could still play sloppy and make 89% of my cut shots. the nine foot tells me my real game so i play on a 9 foot at least 1x a week.

i personally dont like bar tables cuz i think if i played on them much it would wreck my game. i would like to know though what size we are playing at the ccb tourn.if it is a 7ft, my 8 ft table with pocket tighteners (which we have) would prepare me more for that but i will still practice on a 9 once a week.

i have seen some good players on bar tables. it is just that they go to the same bars and play on the same bar tables and do not know anything else, imo.

bluewolf

08-20-2002, 08:04 AM

SpiderMan
08-20-2002, 08:09 AM
I guess if you love to play pool, you will play almost no matter what. It's like if you love to fish you'll go even when you're told they're not biting, or if you love to ski you'll have fun on ungroomed slopes with ice patches. I love riding my Valkyrie, but if there was a beater in the garage I'd ride it too. If I'm in a bar and I hear the balls clicking, I'm going to wander over and find a broomhandle to shoot with, and I'll have fun.

SpiderMan

Ralph S.
08-20-2002, 08:23 AM
I will personally play on just about any table as long as it is decent condition. I do play alot on bar tables. I have also watched and played against Jeanette Lee here in my hometown at a big 9ball bar table tourney. She didn't win it or place in the top 5 but did play considerably well due to the fact she plays mainly on the big tables. I would have to say it does make a difference but not huge one if your stroke and mechanics are reasonably good.
Ralph S.

Rich R.
08-20-2002, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr>
Come on Rich, then we wouldn't get to play all of the rednecks and motor cycle gangs. They are so fun to mess with. And, the more the merrier. Besides, we have an advantage coming from 9 footers to the baby tables. This gives me a big thrill. However, I remember hear you saying that you didn't like playing on 7 footers (as some don't). Practice on your position some more LOL. <hr></blockquote>
I especially like the fashion statements made by these players. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I often wonder how many cows gave their lives to provide all that leather. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Some of them get so mad when they lose, it gets a little scary. Fortunately, there is enough beer around to sooth them.
I have an 8' table at home, so the 7' tables are not that big of a change. I really do not play that poorly on bar boxes. In fact, during the playoffs for the spring session, I played fairly well for most of my matches. My team won Tier-1 for that session, but lost in the National Qualifier. There is just something about them that bothers me and I just prefer larger tables. I disliked them as far back as I can remember, long before learning much about playing. It's probably a mental thing. /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif
Rich R.

08-20-2002, 08:58 AM

08-20-2002, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> If I'm in a bar and I hear the balls clicking, I'm going to wander over and find a broomhandle to shoot with, and I'll have fun.
<hr></blockquote>

LOL! And that about sums it up for me. Spiderman, there's a kind of genius in that broomhandle crack.

Rich R.
08-20-2002, 09:16 AM
I have to confess, I have only run into the exact opposite. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-20-2002, 09:17 AM
Vapros

Bar leagues, matching up and just fooling around on a Bar Box is fun to a lot of players. Serious or not, its the playing that keeps these Bar Boxes from being replaced by Pop-a-shot or shuffle board games.

I would rather play on a 9 foot table in a very well kept Pool hall, or on an 8 footer, in an OK PH, or on a Bar Box.. in a bar. At least I have a choice.. Driving 60 miles to play in a 9 footer is scary..

9 Ball Girl
08-20-2002, 09:22 AM
Although most of my play is done on the 9 footers, I have to agree with Spiderman. I love pool too much to not play when given the chance, even if the table is yucky. There've been plenty of times when I'm out to lunch at a bar and hear the sounds of the balls rolling about on the table. I practically swallow my lunch in 1 gulp just to go play next or put my name up on the board. Hmmm, I guess I know what I'm doing for lunch today!

Wendy~~treats all pool tables the same--regardless of age, color, or race /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

PoolFool
08-20-2002, 10:07 AM
Here is my 2 cents. I like playing in bars because I can challange the table and keep it for 10 -15 games against a variety of opponents. I hate going to a pool hall , renting a table and playing the same person over and over. I do play on 9ft. and 8ft. tables and my skill level is the same no matter the size. I play pool for one reason only and that is to have fun. I have a lot of fun moving the cue ball around on a 7ft. during a game of 8 ball, breaking up clusters and getting that "exact" position. Playing on larger tables is also fun. If I could just find a pool hall with challange tables.

PoolFool

Vapros
08-20-2002, 11:28 AM
Well, I've learned something today. There's quite a lot of good people who post here who do not have reasonable access to a good pool room. That's a damn shame, and I guess some of us forget to count our blessings.

If Patrick is elected president of the world, I will ask to be named emperor of this continent. We will have free love, nickel beer, four-day weekends and a good pool room for every square mile of cleared land.

08-20-2002, 12:48 PM
come to Sharkey,s in Alexandria, La. we have 3 - 8' Dynameaux's, 8 - 7' and 2 - 9' Diamond Smart tables --- all coin op -- you can challenge any table, the question is "can you win"?

Scott Lee
08-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Vapros...As someone who plays pool for a living, and plays on every imaginable size, type, and condition of pool tables, I can address your question pretty solidly. Although all of us here would prefer to play on the very best equipment, all the time, we also share a love for the sport, that takes shape as a desire to play at all times.
Some places I go to perform are very limited in their opportunity to purchase good equipment. Others don't know any better, and get taken by unscrupulous salesmen. Still others have equipment so old, and ramshackle, that it can no longer be repaired satisfactorily. However, in all of those cases, at least there WERE tables for the kids to play on...maybe not the best, but at least somewhere to play. This is kind of reflective on my own personal feelings about playing pool...I love to play so much, that the table size or condition doesn't matter. I'll always choose a 9' table over a barbox, but I will play on ANYTHING!

Scott Lee

08-20-2002, 06:30 PM
I would reccomend that if any of you ever have the chance, talk to Dave Matlock about the bar table. I did once, he really has great outlook on the pros and cons of small tables and big tables. Very educational.

PoolFool
08-20-2002, 09:37 PM
I would love to come to Alex. and play. Can I win? Don't know. I've won playing some of the top 50 (out of 3,000) BCA 8 ball players that went to Las Vegas this year. I've lost to players that can't make two balls in a row. My best is a 22 game streak against some very good players. I've had so many bad nights that I can't remember the worst. But that is what makes pool so much fun. You learn from every shot. You keep trying to get that litle extra edge out of your game. When you have a great night it's a rush like no other. When I have a bad night, I can't wait to get back on the table. If I can get away from that damn car lot for one week I'll be there. I'm not like some of the 9ft. guys. I can and love to shoot on any size.

PoolFool

PoolFool
08-20-2002, 09:49 PM
By the way, Harry Buegue owns all the Sharky's in Dallas. Does he own that one also?

PoolFool