PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Obama

sack316
03-31-2010, 05:09 AM
Today will announce some more areas open for drilling. Some off the coast of VA, if I am not mistaken there may be allowances for some more platforms in the gulf... and I also believe there will be some additions in Alaska (but also some concessions in AK to not allow drilling in other areas).

Overall, just saying thanks.

Sack

Gayle in MD
03-31-2010, 05:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today will announce some more areas open for drilling. Some off the coast of VA, if I am not mistaken there may be allowances for some more platforms in the gulf... and I also believe there will be some additions in Alaska (but also some concessions in AK to not allow drilling in other areas).

Overall, just saying thanks.

Sack </div></div>

When I saw this title, by you, I nearly fell off my chair! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Give me a little warning next time, I'm too old to be blown off my chair this early in the morning. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Naturally, I'm not thrilled about this drilling, but no one gets everything they want from any President....he's doing well by me so far, all in all.

I just hope they don't overdo this...our oceans are in peril enough as it is, IMO. I'd prefer to see all the energy money spent on research and development in other venues....

Also, it won't do us much good if the damn Oil Corporations still hold back on building refineries....they've had loads of contracted areas for drilling, for decades, and didn't do anything with them, while racking up all time record breaking profits!

I don't think they really WANT to do anything that would stablize prices, or bring them down....JMHO....

G.

LWW
03-31-2010, 05:42 AM
One of the few things I agree with dearest leader on.

LWW

Sev
03-31-2010, 06:26 AM
Ditto.
However the environmentalist whacko's will tie them up in court for years.
Plus who knows what sort or caveat's are in the legislation.

News flash for G.

The oceans release more petroleum into the environment naturally on a yearly basis than mankind ever has.

Point 2

Foreign nations are already in place to drill in the Gulf while we shackle our own companies.

It makes no logical sense unless you want the nation to be a slave to other energy producing nations.

llotter
03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
I am suspicious of this 'good news' as I am suspicious of anything The Moron does. He is obviously attempting to win votes for the 'climate change' legislation from some of the spineless Republicans and knows that that vote is immediate but his plan can be tied up for years. I looked for but didn't see ANWR mentioned where there are known reserves but I did see in the NYT story the words 'would be eligible for exploration and drilling after extensive studies.' This sounds more like a pseudo promise than a reality.

pooltchr
03-31-2010, 08:41 AM
Sack, this would indeed be good news it he would put forth the effort on this topic that he did on HC. I fear this is little more that political posturing, and will result in little if any new exploration.

He also said he wanted to expand nuclear power, yet failed to fund the one storage facility to store the biproduct from the plants.

I fear Kenya-man speak with forked tongue!

Steve

Qtec
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
When the first oil slick hits Martha's Vineyard or the beaches of Miami there will be plenty of people who will change their mind about this being a good idea.

Fact is, Obama needs the extra cash. America needs the money.

Q

pooltchr
03-31-2010, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the first oil slick hits Martha's Vineyard or the beaches of Miami there will be plenty of people who will change their mind about this being a good idea.

Q </div></div>

Do you drive a car? You depend on SOMEONE drilling somewhere. You can either use your own, or buy it from someone else. Or is it ok to drill for oil as long as it's done in someone else's back yard?

Steve

Gayle in MD
03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the first oil slick hits Martha's Vineyard or the beaches of Miami there will be plenty of people who will change their mind about this being a good idea.

Q </div></div>

I agree, Q. Our economic situation since 2008 has left us with dwindlng prospects on many fronts. What a mess this man inherited! It's really mind boggling.

G.

Sev
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
HAHAHHAHHA!!!!

So your actually suggesting that our energy debacle is George Bush's fault????

Seriously now.

You can lay the entire thing at the feet of the left and environmentalist whaco's.

LWW
03-31-2010, 12:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fact is, Obama needs the extra cash. America needs the money.

Q </div></div>

Something we can agree on. Spending money like a gang of drunken Admirals is finally catching up with this congress.

LWW

Under
03-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I will believe that we are drilling for oil when oil comes out the other end.

Obama has made plenty of promises. It is what he is best at.

There may be some circumstance where the anointed one can claim credit from conservatives and still not drill.

Why do I think this way? Well, because he is in the habit of breaking promises and changing a statement after it is made.

If there is actual drilling with the normal output of oil, then congratulations will be in order.

wolfdancer
03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Q, I got to see Martha's Vineyard once, and we were fogged in for two days. It probably still looks the same today, some 45 yrs after. Cobblestone streets, no overhanging signs....like going back in time to the 1920's.

Under
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Q, I got to see Martha's Vineyard once, and we were fogged in for two days. It probably still looks the same today, some 45 yrs after. Cobblestone streets, no overhanging signs....like going back in time to the 1920's.</div></div>

Martha's Vineyard will look great with the windmills. The go is on now that Teddy is gone.

sack316
04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
When I saw this title, by you, I nearly fell off my chair! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Give me a little warning next time, I'm too old to be blown off my chair this early in the morning. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif</div></div>

He he, sorry, I'll try to give you a little warning next time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naturally, I'm not thrilled about this drilling, but no one gets everything they want from any President....he's doing well by me so far, all in all.

I just hope they don't overdo this...our oceans are in peril enough as it is, IMO. I'd prefer to see all the energy money spent on research and development in other venues....

Also, it won't do us much good if the damn Oil Corporations still hold back on building refineries....they've had loads of contracted areas for drilling, for decades, and didn't do anything with them, while racking up all time record breaking profits!

I don't think they really WANT to do anything that would stablize prices, or bring them down....JMHO....

G. </div></div>

I don't know how (or if) it will all work. I don't know if he will sincerely push for this all the way. And if he does, I don't know if the oil companies will follow through with what the intention is supposed to be.

And I also feel we do need to be making that move away from oil, exploring alternative and renewable sources of energy. But in the interim as we do explore and research, on paper at least, this move should help keep us from being at the total mercy of foreign providers. Even if we never actually drill in these new places (and I think I've mentioned this before) the threat that we are willing and capable of providing for ourselves should allow us some more bargaining power with countries we import from. i.e. "we'd like this price please, and if not, then we'll just use our own".

At any rate, this is merely a step, not a solution. But a good step IMHO. If this follows through, the theoretical lower costs benefit everybody, and it WILL create jobs... ones that are tangible and sustainable this time! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-01-2010, 07:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Give me a little warning next time, I'm too old to be blown off my chair this early in the morning. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif</div></div>

He he, sorry, I'll try to give you a little warning next time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Naturally, I'm not thrilled about this drilling, but no one gets everything they want from any President....he's doing well by me so far, all in all.

G. </div></div>

I don't know how (or if) it will all work. I don't know if he will sincerely push for this all the way. And if he does, I don't know if the oil companies will follow through with what the intention is supposed to be.

And I also feel we do need to be making that move away from oil, exploring alternative and renewable sources of energy. But in the interim as we do explore and research, on paper at least, this move should help keep us from being at the total mercy of foreign providers. Even if we never actually drill in these new places (and I think I've mentioned this before) the threat that we are willing and capable of providing for ourselves should allow us some more bargaining power with countries we import from. i.e. "we'd like this price please, and if not, then we'll just use our own".

At any rate, this is merely a step, not a solution. But a good step IMHO. If this follows through, the theoretical lower costs benefit everybody, and it WILL create jobs... ones that are tangible and sustainable this time! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack </div></div>

I agree, Sack, and here's what I'm wondering about in all of this.

While I know our country will need a "Bridge" as we move away from oil, toward more environmentally friendly sources, as we are surely doing now, with over 20% of MIT Prof.'s currently researching renewables, and people like Pickens, Bill Gates, and others, investing heavily in renewables, I am daunted by this praticular effort to allow drilling off the eastern seaboard.

The potential devastation is not worth it! The oil companies already have huge tracks, already contracted, that they aren't using. Why risk our fragile areas, when studies are currently showing that the Atlantic Ocean is at risk, to the point where most Florida fish sold in restaurants, come from other countries!!!

This makes no sense to me at all. Why not speed up the use of clean natural gas, as Pickens suggests. That makes far more sense to me, than to put the Atlantic Ocean's inhabitants at even greater risk than they already are under. One big oil accident, would be a major disaster! Not to mention, the Atlantic seaboard is Hurricane Highway!

Unless there is more to this than I have currently had time to research, which is basically no time at all during my planting season, I am very disappointed over this decision. I keep thinking, there must be more to this than I know at this time....

G.

pooltchr
04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am daunted by this praticular effort to allow drilling off the eastern seaboard.

G. </div></div>

"Not in my backyard", huh???

Steve