PDA

View Full Version : The New Ipad

Gayle in MD
04-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Two great videos here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/31/ipad-reviews-raves-for-ap_n_521102.html

eg8r
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I think it is going to be a great product. I am not sure how I would use it or how often I would use it but I am about to spend a month and a half on the road and it sure would be nice to watch movies on it instead of my iPhone. The screen is going to be incredible. Comparing it to the screen on a Kindle is an absolute joke. A lot of the snooty Kindle owners like to say the LCD screen wears their eyes out. Maybe so, it does not hurt mine and for a device that does 10 times more things than just be an eReader it makes sense to not use an eInk screen.

eg8r

sack316
04-01-2010, 04:36 PM
It's cool... but just seems to me you can get a laptop.

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-02-2010, 06:48 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is going to be a great product. I am not sure how I would use it or how often I would use it but I am about to spend a month and a half on the road and it sure would be nice to watch movies on it instead of my iPhone. The screen is going to be incredible. Comparing it to the screen on a Kindle is an absolute joke. A lot of the snooty Kindle owners like to say the LCD screen wears their eyes out. Maybe so, it does not hurt mine and for a device that does 10 times more things than just be an eReader it makes sense to not use an eInk screen.

eg8r
</div></div>

I always wonder how having a touch screen, will hold up after a long time, but these days, nothing has to last a long time, it'll be obsolete before we know it.

The games on this gadget are supposed to be great...

Saw this and had a rush of memories of my sister and I trying to play scrabble on long road trips, with the letters sliding off the board at every stop light, lol, kids today are going to find it hard not to find real life boring, I'm afraid....

G.

eg8r
04-02-2010, 10:11 AM
See, you are already seeing the benefits of it over a normal eReader. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif As far as touchscreens holding up, the screen is glass. What breaks first is the plastic body on the back. I am not going to lie, the glass will break but throwing away the outliers, this is generally quite hard to do when using it correctly. I have had an iphone for 3 years now and the only thing that ever happened was the plastic case getting a crack in it. I have two young kids that are constantly taking it and using it to play games, watch movies and listen to music.

What makes the games so great is the screen. If you have never looked at an IPS screen then you should at least check it out before ever deciding on an eReader with eInk. Go to any store that sells an iMac and check out any video or pictures on a 27" iMac which also is IPS. You will be blown away.

eg8r

eg8r
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes you can, but I cannot understand why? The target audience is the eReader consumer. When was the last time you picked up your laptop on purpose to read a book? To play a game? To watch a movie? When was the last time you saw friends or family carry their laptop's into a restaurant to give the kids something to do and stay quiet while at the table? There are so many advantages of the iPad over the laptop and size is just the beginning.

eg8r

sack316
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When was the last time you picked up your laptop on purpose to read a book? To play a game? To watch a movie?</div></div>

Quite often, actually

Of course as with all electronics WHAT you plan to use it for is the key thing.

But the ipad, as far as I understand it, is pretty limited in functionality. Basically just a bigger ipod touch. Slower processor, no multitasking, no expansion, no card slots or ports, and no real OS to speak of where you can install programs.

Want to view your photos on a fancy new Ipad? Gotta buy a special cable (not a cheap one), where having a media card slot of usb port would have made that simple and cheap.

If you'd like a keyboard, then you again buy their special one, and may as well be holding a laptop at that point.

Lack of multi-tasking... sucks.

I've read that it has no flash support. The web will be missing a lot of content without that.

For size, functionality, and especially price... one is really better off purchasing a netbook if you want to do several things. If the purpose is simply as a reader... much better off going with a kindle or similar product.

JMHO

Sack--- not falling for a pretty logo on an oversized ipod. I'll wait for the next gen of this product and see what they improve upon first

LWW
04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Issues are that it has no DVD drive and isn't compatible with Photoshop.

LWW

sack316
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Issues are that it has no DVD drive and isn't compatible with Photoshop.

LWW </div></div>

I think the issue is it does nothing different than is already available /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

And REALLY think a lack of flash support is bad bad bad.

Sack

eg8r
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
What do you use flash for? I cannot think of a single time not having flash has really mattered other than not being able to go to Hulu. ABC and NBC are already taking advantage of HTML5 and I believe HULU is also looking to do so. Actually many major websites are also looking into using the video of the future which is absolutely not flash.

As far as photoshop, why would you want to run it on a $300 -500 computer anyways? The performance would not make it worth it anyways.

eg8r

eg8r
04-03-2010, 12:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Quite often, actually

Of course as with all electronics WHAT you plan to use it for is the key thing.

But the ipad, as far as I understand it, is pretty limited in functionality. Basically just a bigger ipod touch. Slower processor, no multitasking, no expansion, no card slots or ports, and no real OS to speak of where you can install programs.</div></div>It sucks tugging a laptop around where ever you go to do these types of activities. I carry my laptop on my back all over the eastern US on travel for work and what happens to it once I reach my destination? It gets parked right there. It is not as useful and handy as carrying my iPhone which gives me very easy access to the more pleasurable aspects of a computer. All serious work is done on the laptop or even remoting into my terminal server where the real horsepower is sitting. The iPad is not a desktop replacement nor is it really a laptop replacement (one worth the money).

The beauty of capitalism will be shown when the iPad is released along with version 4.0 of the software in the summer. The market will decide if it is worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want to view your photos on a fancy new Ipad? Gotta buy a special cable (not a cheap one), where having a media card slot of usb port would have made that simple and cheap.

If you'd like a keyboard, then you again buy their special one, and may as well be holding a laptop at that point.

Lack of multi-tasking... sucks.

I've read that it has no flash support. The web will be missing a lot of content without that.

For size, functionality, and especially price... one is really better off purchasing a netbook if you want to do several things. If the purpose is simply as a reader... much better off going with a kindle or similar product.</div></div>Definitely doesn't seem like you have an open mind on this product. Email still works and so does cloud computing. Why are you guys so darn tethered to physical hardware? Multi-tasking, not much of a big deal because it seems like only complaint is that you cannot look at pics or play games while listening to Pandora. You can listen to the iPod and multi-task and that has been around since day one of the iPhone. Keyboard, eh, whatever. You don't need one and nearly everyone I see with an iPhone or touch have no problem typing. Flash, no biggie, it is not going to be the mainstay on the web anyways with the HTML5 making more and more headway.

eg8r &lt;~~~ will be waiting a while before deciding on the iPad

sack316
04-03-2010, 05:02 AM
fair thoughts ed... but if you were totally sold I don't think we'd be seeing "will be waiting a while before deciding on the iPad" on your sig.

I won't go so far as to say it is a waste of money... but all factors in question currently... it is a waste of money /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

And flash is... a horrible... but necessary evil of using the web. Great... HTML 5... throw some css jargon in there too. Either way, right now and for the foreseeable future, you'll need flash for even the most basic of web browsing enjoyability. As is, a cel phone produced anytime in the last 2 years is more "web friendly" than the ipad.

I have a very open mind on the product. I'd love to see the next revolution in tech gear... but unfortunately, this just isn't it. Less powerful and far less functional than even the lowest current model of netbooks. Far bigger, and equally as functional as an ipod touch. And more expensive than both. Sorry, but I'm just not sold. The "crisp paperlike display" and adjustable fonts for e-books just isn't worth the pricetag for what you get.

It's a fad and a status display for all the techies... and a way for old timers to show they are "with it". Apple will make a bundle on it, no doubt. And kudos to them for doing so. But my PS3, my cel phone, and a netbook are all cheaper and way better as far as what you can do with them. If I'm wrong, so be it. Just show me.

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-03-2010, 05:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See, you are already seeing the benefits of it over a normal eReader. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif As far as touchscreens holding up, the screen is glass. What breaks first is the plastic body on the back. I am not going to lie, the glass will break but throwing away the outliers, this is generally quite hard to do when using it correctly. I have had an iphone for 3 years now and the only thing that ever happened was the plastic case getting a crack in it. I have two young kids that are constantly taking it and using it to play games, watch movies and listen to music.

What makes the games so great is the screen. If you have never looked at an IPS screen then you should at least check it out before ever deciding on an eReader with eInk. Go to any store that sells an iMac and check out any video or pictures on a 27" iMac which also is IPS. You will be blown away.

eg8r </div></div>

Ed,
I am really disappointed in computers, so far. In the fifties, they were showing commericials with robots, we women were supposed to have by now, and Rosie the robot should have been here by now. She was supposed to cook dinner, scrub the floors, wash the clothes, and not ask for a raise!

My husband is the computer guru around here these days. I use mine mostly for writing, and reading, printing up family pictures, and blowing up pictures to use as a guide for artwork that I am interested in painting. Above all, I use it for research and shopping.

I think I am more of a tactical sort. Can't stand the feel of an electric piano, compared to the real thing. Really prefer typing, for example, on my old IBM! Although I have gotten used to typing on this computer, I still find lap top typing annoying....unless I add a regular computer key board...

My husband has the top of the line lap top, uses it to show his customers the full range of what he's going to build, in all finishes, with all the various trim options. He and my grand daughter have all kinds of stuff they use on my desk computer, he has even built her her own foot controls and joy sticks, for race car and fighter jet games, they look just like they're in the cock pit when they're in here, ....she's already bored with those now that the wii is out....

Books, that's a different story. My hands don't have the strength they used to have. Heavy books take their toll these days, when I am reclining and reading. But I'm one who believes in "use it, or lose it" so I still use the old fashioned can opener, tryig to give my hands some exercise, and still enjoy adding another book to my library....

Probably just the kindle would be appropriate for me, unless Rosie shows up! You probably won't remember her, she was before your time, but if you watch the new special on the boomers, Tom Brokaw, you'll get the chance to see Rosie. I'm not a boomer, was born during the war, but I'm still waiting for Rosie!

G.

sack316
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I remember Rosie! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

eg8r
04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fair thoughts ed... but if you were totally sold I don't think we'd be seeing "will be waiting a while before deciding on the iPad" on your sig.</div></div>I can't remember if I said it in my post or if I removed it before posting, but for me I cannot figure out how often I would use it. It would be great for the next few months of my life while I am back out on the road but then once I get it back in town I am not sure how it would get used. My wife and I both have an iPhone, so I still have nearly everything the iPad has. The biggest benefit of the iPad over the iPhone for me and my uses is the screen, size and quality.

No one in their right mind would consider a netbook as a replacement for any computer/laptop and I don't see the iPad as one either. I do see the iPad as a step up over a netbook but really it is hard to quantify right now. I have not used an actual DVD for anything other than a movie in close to 2 years. I find it as a poor way to keep/transfer data or any media. I don't even back up to a DVD. Sure I would like a USB port but again, in this day and age, physical media for transfer capabilities is really behind times. LOL, my digital point and shoot and video camera all record directly to an SSD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either way, right now and for the foreseeable future, you'll need flash for even the most basic of web browsing enjoyability. </div></div>I disagree completely but then again, we probably spend our time differently on web. I use Firefox as my main browser and do you know the main reason why? It is because of a great little add-on that allows you to remove ads from the screen. 9/10 of these ads are flash based and I absolutely hate them. Flash for me, has made the internet bloated and a giant bandwidth waste of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As is, a cel phone produced anytime in the last 2 years is more "web friendly" than the ipad.
</div></div>Not sure what this means, but 85 to 90% of the cell phone models available for sale still run a text based internet.

My guess is that the majority of the people who buy the iPad will be those people who buy anything Jobs tells them to. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif For me I am not sure if it will get used as much as my iPhone on a regular basis.

eg8r

LWW
04-05-2010, 03:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My guess is that the majority of the people who buy the iPad will be those people who buy anything Jobs tells them to. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r </div></div>
*DING*

The cult of Apple is an amazing thing to watch.

This is from the owner of 2 Apple II's, 5 Macs, and 2 iPods.

LWW

sack316
04-05-2010, 04:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
My guess is that the majority of the people who buy the iPad will be those people who buy anything Jobs tells them to. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif For me I am not sure if it will get used as much as my iPhone on a regular basis.

eg8r </div></div>

Sounds about right to me! I had an apple IIe, and I think that was my last apple product. Nothing against Apple, just for my needs I could never justify the price point most of the time. I will say that if I ever went deep into some video editing, I'd go MAC hands down. But for my own personal needs I've been just fine snagging parts and building my own little PC's on the cheap. I think the I-phone is very cool, but personally not enough need for it's functions to justify the purchase.

I'm not saying the I-Pad is a "bad" product. Far from it, actually. I think it could be MUCH better than this first generation incarnation (as with most tech gear), but also do think it is a cool gadget. I just happen to not think of it as 'revolutionary' either.

As far as flash... yeah ads suck but playing video is good. I'm not a fan of flash... too proprietary and video on the web is too important to (basically) be in the hands of one company. Unfortunately, at the moment, most streaming video you'll find is flash. It's, as I've seen it best put, a chicken and the egg problem. Publishers use flash because it's installed on such a high percentage of clients. Clients support flash because such a high percentage of publishers use it for video.

This could be good or bad in terms of Apple's lack of support, though. Bad in terms of functionality on the web right now. Good, because this whole segment of web user will be using a product without flash support... which in turn could cause publishers to use different means that are not so prevalent right now.

Sack