PDA

View Full Version : WASTED TALENT

08-20-2002, 02:02 PM
i choose to be anonymous for this post because i am going to name the person that i feel could have been one of the best in the world if he had just cleaned up his act!!! i know many people will disagree but they are probably the ones that either do not know Scotty Townsend or have never seen his game. the only one to ever beat Scotty consistantly is Jack Danials from Tenn. everywhere you see Scotty you will find Jack close by. just ask some of the pros about Scotty and see what they say. for many years Scotty was rated "the best in the world" on a bar box. i have personally seen him run every rack in 3 straight races to 9 before failing to make a ball on the break in the 7 game of the 4th race, thats 337 straight balls in 9 ball. in one tourn in vegas scotty won $100,000 & and a new car -- had to thumb home. seen him go for over $10,000 in a calcutta in a tourn he had to borrow money to enter.
Scotty was not always like this. i've known him since he was a teenager. never had anything growing up, started seeing big money playing pool. his stakehores could not afford to allow him to get out of the back room. now i fear its too late, his rep precedes him. at best he will always be a road player. Scotty is a wasted talent. how many other Scotty's are out there??????

08-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Anon,

While I respect your right to post, and I also believe your intentions are not malicious, I must question your decision to use Scotty's name. I think your thought would have allowed for just as good a discussion had you referred to him as a "top player from the South". If Scotty is indeed in trouble, he doesn't need his case plastered over the net. While he may need an intervention of some sort, the CCB isn't the place for it.

I've been in your position, though, and I know what it's like to watch someone you care about (not necessarily in the pool world) make some poor decisions. Still, as I think the point of your post is to help others avoid making these mistakes, the names of examples aren't necessary.

Just the way I feel...

- Steve Lipsky

Q-guy
08-20-2002, 02:46 PM
I think you are confusing wasted talent with an exercise in futility. There is no living to be made in playing pool except for the very few. some people don't realize it before it is too late. If you can work or own a business and play pool it can be a very rewarding sport. Pool is more an amateur sport then anything else. For those that devote a big part of their lives to it only to learn the truth, I can imagine it must be very frustrating.

bluewolf
08-20-2002, 03:34 PM
i dont like naming names.

bluewolf

DEADSTOKE32
08-20-2002, 05:29 PM
THAT IS SO TRUE .JUST LEAVE OUT THE NAME'S AND WRITE WHAT YOU FEEL . LEAVE SOME RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE.BY KEEPING THERE NAME'S OFF THE NET...

08-22-2002, 11:12 AM
--First--I'd like to comment that there is millions out there with "Wasted Talent" and whatever the reason for the "wasted" part, it's their business. True that not all may have the same reasons, and all their friends and families might not agree with them either, but I'll agree with some of the previous posts that giving a name may not have been cool.

--Second--I respect the fact that you have your opinions and may have felt strongly about having to write this post, but I don't think that spilling the beans was the answer. Though it may be evident to many that know Scotty and know about his issues I don't think it may have served much purpose to make an announcement on them for the people who didn't know. What you could have done was give your opinions about his talents and perhaps been a little less revealing about his issues.

*Like I mentioned before, there is plenty of "Wasted talent" out there and plenty of it just in poolhalls I know many who fit this bill. I even wish I could help in making changes but the truth is that's their life.
--I don't blame you for making this post anonymous, but think about it, you did do it because of the things you were going to mention right? I could be wrong but it's just a thought.

--(Just making an observation)

Snooky

08-22-2002, 07:20 PM
wasted talent - initials D H from Buffalo NY come to mind