PDA

View Full Version : Derby city classic

Q-guy
08-20-2002, 02:30 PM
I was looking at the website for the Derby City classic for 2002 and began thinking about going to the next one. Were any of you there last year? I know it is a little far off but if it is anything like I have heard, sounds like it is not to be missed. Well, last night I moved the stored furniture and junk in the billiard room and uncovered the table for the first time in a several years. I actually practiced, and it was awful, but I have to admit I was a little excited about the prospect of playing pool again. It will be fun to see if I can play a little. I have four months to practice. The entry seems cheap, just $275.00 for all three legs of the tournament. Are any of you making plans to go? Like I said, it is a little early, but time has a way of flying and it will be here soon.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Jan 3rd thru the 11th.

I will be playing in the Banks and One-Pocket events

Hope to meet you there.

Chris Cass
08-20-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi Q-Guy,

I'm going, Voodoo and Kato will be there too. Don't know if the wife and son are going but will see. I plan on playing every event. I think even if you don't play so hot in a particular event. One should get in anyway. Who knows? You could cash but either way it'll be fun. They could use the support for the event to keep it going. IMO

C.C.~~school of Fort Knox...lol

dddd
08-20-2002, 11:55 PM
i play every year it is a great opportunity to play some serious competition , and see some great games.

the playing floor is open 24 hours a day,
you can play at any time if acutal tournament is not using the table.
there are "mini" tournaments every night after tournament is done for the night.
there is a second floor with bar tables (diamond smart tables)
the tournament play is wonderful to see, also there is after hours action play - pros, road players and anyone who has the urge.
i see plenty of play too numerous to write about.

if your coming just to watch i recommend acutally entering and playing at least one venue, the players pass is good for all events and last year, the players pass allowed you girlfriend or spouse to enter with you...
playing is the only way to go i would not miss it

there are several places to play around town if you desire

bank shot on market street (diamond tables) some snooker too
this has beer and snacks

this is the place truman hogue plays, along with some other bankers, they will all be at the tournament site mostly
though...

barrett bar at the corner of barret and oak.
4x8 7 tables one is diamond, two are old nationals,
4 1/2x9 one old brunswick gold crown
this does have a bar there with some food

derby city billiards on preston street
several 4 1/2x9 look like diamond but are not
several bar tables and there are plenty of younger here late
dont think it has much in food and no beer or other

olivers billiards in the dupont square
it been a while since ive been here
4x8 i think plenty of room and tables (olhausen i think)
there is liquor and beer some food

there are more, some i dont travel to

there is also one new one dont remember the name but is only a few miles from the hotel tournament site just down preston st ...

the tournament is held is the ballroom of a hotel
i think the name is executive west just off the expressway near lots of things...

NH_Steve
08-21-2002, 07:01 AM
I'm hoping to get to the next Derby City, too. It's been on the agenda for a while, but unfortunately bumped so far /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif
I'd like to enter the 1 pocket division. Do all 3 tourneys start the same day, or are there certain dates that only the 1P runs? Getting away for 8-9 days might be a problem.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-21-2002, 07:05 AM
First the Bank pool tournament, then the One Pocket..and then the 9 ball.

The format is single elimination for each event. But, you have an option of Buying back into the tournaments after your first loss only. A redraw for each round of matches will include the "Buy Backs" so you might end up matched up again against the same person that gave you the first loss, and then again.. you might get a bye.

Hope you can make it.

BillPorter
08-21-2002, 08:26 AM
Q-Guy,

I will definitely be there....at least as a spectator. Do you know the dates of the tournament?

Tom_In_Cincy
08-21-2002, 08:40 AM
Jan 3rd through Jan 11th

But, untill then.. you have been invited to my Invitional 9 ball tournament Sept 8th at 2pm.. at Snookers. $35 entry fee.. Double Elimination.. Race to 6 on the winners side Race to 4 on the one loss side.

Finals, one race to 10..

Limited to 16 players.. so let me know if you want to play..

Doctor_D
08-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Good morning:

This January's Derby City Classic sounds very inviting. Chances are excellent that I, and several of the local women, will be traveling to Louisville to compete...

Dr. D.

Kato
08-21-2002, 10:29 AM
Well bestill my beating heart. Dr. D in Louisville, at exactly the same time as myself, Voodoo, and Cass. See there Diana, our dinner plans may work out more quickly than originally expected.

Kato~~~will get through The Open then turn my attention to Derby City

08-21-2002, 10:41 AM
Hi Q-guy,

Definately a great tournament to go to! If anyone plays to go as a spectator, you should at least enter one event, since this will get you a player's pass which allows you access to for all nine days. I know alot of people that just wanted to watch, so they entered the bank pool tournament for $50, which allowed them unlimited access. Last year, the fees were as follows: $100 for 9-ball (another $100 if you buy back in), $75 for uno-pockito ($75 buy back), and $50 for bank ($50 buy back). However, prices my be going up this year??

What makes this tournament so fun is the chance to play great players, but also watch the action after hours. I played 8 hours straight through the night one evening, and then went to my match in the morning. There is all levels of "action". A friend of mine matched up with Buddy Hall playing one pocket for a couple of hours for $10 a game. What better chance to play a great player inexpensively.

Regards,

Doug

Doctor_D
08-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Good afternoon:

The Derby City Classic in January, at this point in time at least, is looking very positive indeed. However; if I have to come to you for dinner, as would be the case in Louiseville, I would be entitled to be YOUR guest for dinner!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Kato
08-21-2002, 11:40 AM
Uhm, wouldn't we be meeting each other half way in which instance we would be each others guests? Of course the 3 blonde dinner is still more than enticing./ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

Kato

Lester
08-21-2002, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Uhm, wouldn't we be meeting each other half way in which instance we would be each others guests? Of course the 3 blonde dinner is still more than enticing./ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

Kato <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Darn Kato, you get all the action! lol ***Lester***

Doctor_D
08-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Good afternoon Kato:

Even if a woman were to "Meet You Half Way", as the "Gentleman" you appear to be, she should be your guest. Now; with the likelihood that you will be sharing dinner with Three (3) Blondes, an event that most men only dare dream about, it is time for you to step up to the plate and show all of us a great night on the town.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Doctor_D
08-22-2002, 04:38 AM
Good morning Kato:

Did the thought of having dinner with Three (3) Blondes leave you speachless?

Dr. D.

Kato
08-22-2002, 06:39 AM
The thought of having dinner with (3) hot blondes makes me shutter more than snapping a 9 ball on the break hill-hill.
My abilities to show you a good night on the town however will be limited since I will be fainting upon first sight. Sadly /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif, I failed "Cassanova 101" in college.

Of course you make a fine point about your traveling and dinner. Of course I'd be happy to take you to dinner in Louisville, as a gentleman it would be my honor.

Kato~~~feeling fuzzy

Doctor_D
08-22-2002, 06:50 AM
Good morning:

Invitation accepted.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Mike H
08-22-2002, 11:01 AM
I'll be there competing in all three events. I will be easily found, as I'll be the only person there on my knees BEGGING for 12-6 from anyone who appears willing to give it to me. LOL Wouldn't miss it for the world.....

Voodoo Daddy
08-22-2002, 06:17 PM
Only three?...I'll pass. I need at least five blondes, 3 brunettes or 3 redheads to keep me occupied...HAHAHAHAHA!! RJ, you failed "casanova 101" but I will but you through "Voodoo's 5 day" come Sept.!!

EZMark
08-22-2002, 07:35 PM
The first 3 days banks, 2nd three one hole, last 3 nine ball. I will be coming from California, see you there. Thnx EZMark.