PDA

View Full Version : 5 minutes work for $2,200 each week!

Deeman3
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
<span style="color: #FF0000">And these people are going to manage health care for all of us and save billions in the process?????? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </span>

COLONIE -- For five minutes of work each week, state executive Michael Cunningham earns $2,200 -- unless his employer, the Department of Labor, imposes penalties for things such as reporting to work too early or places him involuntarily on sick leave.

Mobile AlertsGet school closing alerts on your mobile device.

Cunningham performs his duties, what few there are, from his suburban home with an eye on the clock, because he's docked a day's pay if he doesn't call the office at precise times twice daily. That's the way it's been for most of the past 19 months, since his boss designated his residence as his office.
The home alone situation follows a period in which Cunningham was investigated and found guilty of misconduct -- for taking off early three times -- with investigators taking extraordinary measures such as getting his E-ZPass records and securing a tracking device on his 2006 BMW.

"He's on house arrest," said Joseph Sano, executive director of the Organization of Management and Confidential Employees, which represents state managers and support personnel who are not in unions.

Cunningham's boss at the Department of Labor expects the $115,000-a-year work force training manager to manage no one. He must get permission to leave his house during normal work hours. That's in case someone might try to contact him from the office, which, until a reporter began inquiring recently, has been rare.

"I have no work," Cunningham said. "When you check and double-check the facts, you're going to be outraged. A whole lot of people are going to be outraged."

In May 2009, his supervisor made Cunningham's house Cunningham's official work station, DOL letters show. He's been directed only to make two calls a day to a secretary. Each takes about 20 to 30 seconds.

A reporter observed his workload last week: Cunningham dialed seven digits from his cordless phone from his kitchen. "Hi, is this Linda?" he asked during a call on Monday morning. "I'm checking in. OK, Linda. Have a good weekend? OK. I'll check in with you this afternoon."

After hanging up, he said: "With that, I'm officially on duty," a nervous smile appearing.

He explained that he must call at 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. A letter from his boss proves that, and department officials agree. "I have to be here if they call," he said. "They never call."

State taxpayers aren't getting much in return for employing Cunningham, who joined the Labor Department in 1980 and, in 1988, became the director of organizational and staff development, the Civil Service job he currently holds. He says he developed several initiatives that are key organizational tools today, such as a distance learning program.

Now, however, every day is dress down Friday for the 58-year-old, who in years past donned business suits and worked in the executive suite at the DOL's Albany headquarters. The highest ranking African-American manager at his agency who isn't an appointee, he is set to celebrate his 30th year of state service in October, unless his employers figure a way to fire him. If he makes it, an office party is unlikely. He is barred from reaching out to any staff.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=918324#ixzz0kLz2sW4w

pooltchr
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
How can I get a job like that?????

Outrageous!!!!

Steve

sack316
04-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I'll do it for like 5% of that pay /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

pooltchr
04-07-2010, 07:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll do it for like 5% of that pay /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack </div></div>

I hate to inform you, but you have absolutely no future in public service with that kind of attitude!!!

Steve

Sev
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
And NY wonders why its going under water.

sack316
04-07-2010, 05:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll do it for like 5% of that pay /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack </div></div>

I hate to inform you, but you have absolutely no future in public service with that kind of attitude!!!

Steve </div></div>

Sure I do... see, ya get your foot in the door by coming in cheap. Make it like they are wasting money to NOT have you around! Grab a little power, and slowly you begin to control your own pay scale. Then you jack up the price /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack