PDA

View Full Version : best state

08-20-2002, 06:44 PM
I am based in the UK and am heading to the US to play pool, could anyone tell me which is the best state to earn money playing 9ball in the US that has the most tournaments and money games etc - Is there a Meca of pool where I should be heading to?

cheers

Harold Acosta
08-20-2002, 07:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Leon:</font><hr> I am based in the UK and am heading to the US to play pool, could anyone tell me which is the best state to earn money playing 9ball in the US that has the most tournaments and money games etc - Is there a Meca of pool where I should be heading to?

cheers <hr></blockquote>

In my opinion, New York City is the best proving ground for newcomers but you should not venture there alone. The US Open is coming in September, and it is a driveable distance from New York. Just my opinion.

NH_Steve
08-20-2002, 07:48 PM
The AZBilliards site http://www.azbilliards.com/2000tours.cfm has listings for lots of regional tournament tours. Many players and sweaters are interested in matching up over the course of the tournament weekend. These can be very good players though. If you want to start out a little farther down the food chain, try Pool Hall Finder http://www.playpool.com/finders/poolhall.html , and look for rooms that feature weekly tournaments. Many of the weeklies are handicapped events, so you should have no trouble finding an appropriate level. Again, if you go to one of those rooms on tourney night, you will find players.

Where in the UK? My sister lives in Bristol, and I try to visit every other year or so -- you got a great country there!! Every time my wife &amp; I go, we try to see a place or two we've already enjoyed, and check out somewhere new.

Doctor_D
08-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Good morning:

I would also recommend New York City as a principal stop! Once here, the locals will be able to provide you with much more information on the HOT SPOTS for sharks like yourself.

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

08-21-2002, 10:25 AM
Just to clarify about NYC: While there is a very large pool-playing population, there is remarkably little action here. Sets for more than $100 are kinda rare, and anything over $500 is almost nonexistent.

This is OK for me, since I have no pressing need to bet it up. But it sounds like you're looking for serious action, and you're not gonna find much here. Down south, from what I hear, is better.

- Steve

Lester
08-21-2002, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Leon:</font><hr> I am based in the UK and am heading to the US to play pool, could anyone tell me which is the best state to earn money playing 9ball in the US that has the most tournaments and money games etc - Is there a Meca of pool where I should be heading to?

cheers <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Leon, go straight to Virginia Beach Sept 22 through Sept 29. Try your hand at the most famous 9ball tournament held in the Greatest country on the planet. The U.S.Open 9-ball Tournament. But be forewarned, the best players from all over the world will be there. You could win alot or lose alot, but there will be action. ***Lester***

08-21-2002, 11:15 AM
Most larger metropolitan areas generally have a number of high level players and tournaments. However, in terms of just general states that have alot of quality players, action games and tournaments galore - from what I've heard and know I would have to say Florida would rank extremely high and likely even #1, with Texas and California not far behind. Of course NYC would provide a great proving grounds, with Philly not bad either. I'm afraid I can't recommend my home state of NC, although the research triangle area of Raleigh does have numerous fine players and tourneys quite regularly. - Chris in NC

SpiderMan
08-21-2002, 01:30 PM
Ask this question on the message board at playpool.com. Also, check with a frequent poster there, "professor" of Southern Billiards. There's currently a lot of talk about action in the deep south, Mississippi and Louisiana.

How's your english?

SpiderMan

Nostroke
08-21-2002, 01:44 PM
I have to agree with Steve. If you are looking for serious action- Forget New York City. Action is cheap and super tough largely among a core of seasoned deperados.

Florida is very good, from Orlando to Miami.

I have HEARD Chicago has been good lately but i cant speak from experience on that. Good luck!

TomBrooklyn
08-21-2002, 02:50 PM
If your looking for something in the 5k a set and up range, pm me.

Mike H
08-23-2002, 06:42 AM
Here's a few places to hit: Baltimore MD/Washington DC area, Virginia Beach (US Open or no US Open, you'll find action), Athens GA, New Orleans LA, Columbus OH, anywhere in Florida, and Philadelphia PA.