PDA

View Full Version : For You Baseball Buffs

9 Ball Girl
08-20-2002, 07:20 PM
This is totally non-pool related but I've gotta ask. If there is such a record, does anyone know what the longest at bat in history is, when where and who?

Wendy~~Forever a Yankee fan /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif

Rod
08-20-2002, 07:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> This is totally non-pool related but I've gotta ask. If there is such a record, does anyone know what the longest at bat in history is, when where and who?

Wendy~~Forever a Yankee fan /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif <hr></blockquote>

Well Wendy since I live not far from BOB, you know BOB. The stadium where the Diamondbacks play. When there not away kicking butt. I don't keep up with baseball so I don't know, or even if their winning now.
I do know this though, who ever has the longest bat must be a pretty big guy.!

PQQLK9
08-20-2002, 08:05 PM
http://baseball-almanac.com/rb_menu.shtml

You can submit a request to these people...

08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
The record for longest at-bat of the year belongs to Nomar Garciaparra. David Wells threw 14 pitches to him, finally striking him out. I have no idea about the longest at-bat of all time.

Kato
08-20-2002, 09:23 PM
Wendy, according to my 2001 Baseball Encyclopedia it is not a stastically kept hitting or pitching record. I'm sure the people at the Elias Sports Bureau would know, unfortunately you have to buy it I think. Perhaps Baseball Almanac would know however. I'll do a search tomorrow at work and see what I can dig up.

Kato~~~baseball fan preparing for the worst.

Cueless Joey
08-20-2002, 09:51 PM
Hmn, think about this one. What constitutes ONE official at bat?
Say, I'm batting with two outs, runner on first. I foul pitch after pitch with 2 balls. On the third ball, runner gets caught. NEXT inning, I bat again. Wah, still ONE official at bat. laugh

rackmup
08-21-2002, 04:58 AM
...it would be the one right after Luis Gonzales hit that little blooper over the shortstop to bring in the winning run in last year's World Series where my Arizona D-Backs beat the Yankees.

Regards,

Ken (D-Back Fan for Life)http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/images/header/ari_logo_top.gif

Kato
08-21-2002, 06:35 AM
YOUR?

My question to our baseball fans out there (of which I am bigtime) is this. Will you go back? After the last strike it took me a few months. I don't think I'm going to be so generous if they take away the playoffs and World Series this year. South Florida has already had the All Star Game stolen from us, I'm at the end of my rope. Millionares and Billionares fighting over New York Yankee money, I've had enough.

Kato

MikeM
08-21-2002, 07:21 AM
Any at bat with Luis Sojo has a chance. I went to an Orioles game a while back against the Yankees. I was sitting right behind home plate. Sojo fouled off five pitches which all landed in my section. Two were caught by people in my row (not me). And there were a few other foul balls and he finally walked. I think it was about 15 pitches and I've seen him do it on other occasions.

MM

9 Ball Girl
08-21-2002, 07:30 AM
Well! My Yankees can't always break and run you know. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Wendy~~very appreciative for the info from everyone /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rich R.
08-21-2002, 07:41 AM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Kato:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; YOUR?

My question to our baseball fans out there (of which I am bigtime) is this. Will you go back? After the last strike it took me a few months. I don't think I'm going to be so generous if they take away the playoffs and World Series this year. South Florida has already had the All Star Game stolen from us, I'm at the end of my rope. Millionares and Billionares fighting over New York Yankee money, I've had enough.

Kato &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
As an Oriole season ticket holder, I would have to think long and hard before I would go back. Especially if the strike lasts a year or two, as has been mentioned. The last strike did nothing for the fans, except raise ticket prices. I expect nothing more from another strike. Believe me when I say, the Orioles organization does very little for the season ticket holding fans. I would not be inclined to go back.
Of course my wife, the fanatic baseball fan, may have something else to say about it.
Rich R.~~~usually overruled by wife's vote concerning baseball.

Eric.
08-21-2002, 07:50 AM
World Championships:

Arizona D-Backs= 1

NY Yanks= 25

Any questions? :-)

Eric &gt;just having some fun

SPetty
08-21-2002, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> My question to our baseball fans out there (of which I am bigtime) is this. Will you go back? <hr></blockquote>I hate to say it, but I didn't go back. Many years ago, baseball striked and I didn't go back. Also, many years ago football striked and I didn't go back.

I may be wrong, but I just couldn't get over the idea that I was watching a bunch of whiney rich folks play a game for money.

My family has a baseball history and I love the game, but I would rather watch people that are playing for the love of the game and the sport. I get just as much enjoyment out of watching high schoolers or little leaguers or women's fast pitch softball.

What I did learn was that super bowl sunday is a good day to go shopping. Of course, that was back when the Cowboys were playing in the super bowl...

Lester
08-21-2002, 08:22 AM
Arizona finally getting a team franchise = Exhilorating!

Arizona winning the division playoffs = Outstanding!

Arizona beating the NY Yankees in the World Serious ===== PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note:
It was a great World Series, no matter which team won. ***Lester***

Kato
08-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Rich, have you noticed that football has basically paved the way for all sports with their bargaining agreement? It's all based on revenue, the players get something like 67%. That leaves 33% for the owners and they don't gripe (at least to the press) because they are making outragious $$$$ anyway.

Billionares owners arguing with millionare players, how quaint. I am however so much enjoying the Little League World Series. They hustle down the lines, they play hard in the field, when they strike out they run back to the dugout. They play the game for the reason it was meant to be played. Heck, the kid from North Carolina threw nearly 130 pitches last night. Only Randy Johnson throws that much, that hard. I was screaming at the T.V. for the coach to take him out, but the kid kept firing and I rooted him on. The only other pitcher I've rooted for in the last 3 months since they started throwing around strike is A.J. Burnett of the Marlins.

I'm nearly finished with this softball season I'm playing now. I dove for a ball and landed hard on Monday, skinned my knee and shin sliding into a base, had my ankle stepped on making a play at second base, and I PAY to play!!!!! But that's how I grew up playing, that's how the kid's play, if the adults played that way I wouldn't complain.

Kato

rackmup
08-21-2002, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>World Championships:

Arizona D-Backs= 1

NY Yanks= 25

Any questions? :-) <hr></blockquote>

I wish I had a dollar for each time I heard that. But this is something for you to ponder:

How long have the D-Backs been in existence?
Answer: 4 seasons (started play in 1998.)

Of those four seasons, how many League Championships and NL West titles have they won?
Answer: Two NL West titles, One NL Division Title and one World Series Title...in four years!

The Yankees came into existence as The "Highlanders" ( a defunct team from Baltimore) in 1903, was renamed the "Yankees" in 1913 and didn't win their first AL pennant until 1921...18 years after the teams creation and didn't win a World Series until 1923...20 years after the creation of what is now known as the "Bronx Bombers"!

You cannot take away the legacy of the Yankees. The "House that Ruth Built" is a shrine to baseball. Their owner isn't afraid to spend the money to win a championship.

Just do me this favor...give us the credit for doing something NO other team has done and that is to win a World Championship in such a short period of time.

One other favor...

Quit living in the past!

Regards,

Ken

08-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Strikes... greed... lockouts... all reasons why Cricket is far superior to baseball.

--"Hey, look at me! I'm a silly American who needs a glove to catch the ball" --

Kato
08-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Don't go there with the silly American posts.

Kato~~~full blooded mutt that was Made In America

Eric.
08-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Testy, testy! It wasn't a nasty dig, more like a good natured ribbing. Oh well. You did bring up a couple of interesting points though. Yes the D-backs had alot of success in a short period of time. Kudos. But. BUT, they also had the benefit of training wheel to start the team off. They surely didn't start by pulling people off the street to play ball.

World Championships:

Arizona D-Backs= 1

NY Yanks= 25

As far as having a dollar for every time you heard this? Well, I think it says volumes that everyone says it. It is a simple statistic that says that the Yanks have done it consistantly and continuosly for oh, 80 years and have won 1 in every 4 World Series titles! Now I'm biased because I'm a Yankee fan due to where I grew up. I'm not trying to "dis" you, Ken, just having fun. I hope all is well with you.

Eric &gt;World Championships:

Arizona D-Backs= 1

NY Yanks= 25

rackmup
08-21-2002, 02:03 PM
See! I would have earned another two bucks!

I wasn't offended. Not at all. And yes...things are getting better here daily. Less than 12 days and I will be tucked securely away in my apartment, away from the soon-to-be-ex and all of the nonsense that goes along with a divorce.

Regards,

Ken

Sid_Vicious
08-21-2002, 02:09 PM
"Less than 12 days and I will be tucked securely away in my apartment"

It's been some ordeal, glad you're seeing daylight...sid

rackmup
08-21-2002, 02:17 PM
FREE AT LAST!

Thanks to a good friend, the financial load of all of this was greatly lightened, coupled with the fact that I have been hording every penny that I can and along with a few charitable furniture donations, the move should be "painless".

I set up the utility accounts today, ordered CABLE (I have lived without ESPN since moving here!) and am planning a BBQ for just me and the dogs to celebrate unpacking the last box!

Ahhh...the single life is soon to be upon me. I promise to revere it and never abuse it.

Regards,

Ken

Kato
08-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Sounds like things are starting to look up Ken. Enjoy that BBQ, you've earned it.

Kato

Rod
08-21-2002, 02:25 PM
Ken, glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. In the begining there is no light but I imagine now you have enough to read by. In a few days you will see the Sun!

BTW I have the program from the opening night at BOB, it has two seals. The later ones that week only had one. I had a friend pick up that and a couple of other trinkets. I have never been to a game, but I have been inside during construction. I checked a couple of bolts. ha

Rich R.
08-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Kato, Little League baseball is the whole sport in it's purest form, not that it is perfect. Pro ball players can learn a lot from Little League baseball. Most of them have forgotten why they play the game.

I agree with the way you play. If your going to play, play all the way.

Rich R.

Voodoo Daddy
08-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Voodoo picks Wendy up over his head, sits her on his shoulders and they chant in harmony "GO YANKEES"!! Yes the pinstipes got out-pitched by the dynamic duo last year, which I didnt mind too much because they both deserved to taste what the YANKEES have tasted for 65+ years!!