PDA

View Full Version : Your Tax Dollars at War

Qtec
04-14-2010, 05:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your Tax Dollars at War: More Than 53% of Your Tax Payment Goes to the Military
by Dave Lindorff

If you're like me, now that we're in the week that federal income taxes are due, you are finally starting to collect your records and prepare for the ordeal. Either way, whether you are a procrastinator like me, or have already finished and know how much you have paid to the government, it is a good time to stop and consider how much of your money goes to pay for our bloated and largely useless and pointless military.

The budget for the 2011 fiscal year, which has to be voted by Congress by this Oct. 1, looks to be about $3 trillion, not counting the funds collected for Social Security (since the Vietnam War, the government has included the Social Security Trust Fund in the budget as a way to make the cost of America's imperial military adventures seem smaller in comparison to the total cost of government). Meanwhile, the military share of the budget works out to about $1.6 trillion.

That figure includes the Pentagon budget request of $708 billion, plus an estimated $200 billion in supplemental funding, called "overseas contingency funding" in euphemistic White House-speak), to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, some $40 billion or more in "black box" intelligence agency funding, $94 billion in non-DOD military spending, $100 billion in veterans benefits and health care spending, and $400 billion in interest on debt raised to pay for prior wars and the standing military.

The 2011 military budget, by the way, is the largest in history, not just in actual dollars, but in inflation adjusted dollars, exceeding even the spending in World War II, when the nation was on an all-out military footing.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Military spending in all its myriad forms works out to represent 53.3% of total US federal spending.</span> </div></div>

link (http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/04/13-4)

Something to think about.

Q

ugotda7
04-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Does he mean the half that actually pay taxes?

It's better to spend it on our national defense than on handouts to the worthless people in this country.

And you and the rest of crew over here should be glad we're spending it on our national defense. After all, by doing so we're helping maintain a free country which allows you folks the freedom to publicly demonstrate your ignorance for all to see - isn't America great?

Sev
04-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Add to 450 billion a year spent on Medicaid and the 985 billion they are going to spend on Obamacare in 2011.
Plus all the interest on the payments going to Japan and China.
Then there is Soc Sec.
The US postal service.
The Great society.
Amtrack.
Earmarks
Entitlements

I would suggest money is getting tight.

Rather than cut the cancerous area's out of the government they will pass a VAT tax to will tax every stage of the creation of goods right to the purchase counter where you pay for it.

Qtec
04-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Income tax isn't the only tax. Everyone pays tax.

Don't you feel ashamed that in the richest country in the world, HALF its citizens earn so little they don't pay income tax?

Q

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 07:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your Tax Dollars at War: More Than 53% of Your Tax Payment Goes to the Military
by Dave Lindorff

If you're like me, now that we're in the week that federal income taxes are due, you are finally starting to collect your records and prepare for the ordeal. Either way, whether you are a procrastinator like me, or have already finished and know how much you have paid to the government, it is a good time to stop and consider how much of your money goes to pay for our bloated and largely useless and pointless military.

The budget for the 2011 fiscal year, which has to be voted by Congress by this Oct. 1, looks to be about $3 trillion, not counting the funds collected for Social Security (since the Vietnam War, the government has included the Social Security Trust Fund in the budget as a way to make the cost of America's imperial military adventures seem smaller in comparison to the total cost of government). Meanwhile, the military share of the budget works out to about $1.6 trillion.

That figure includes the Pentagon budget request of $708 billion, plus an estimated $200 billion in supplemental funding, called "overseas contingency funding" in euphemistic White House-speak), to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, some $40 billion or more in "black box" intelligence agency funding, $94 billion in non-DOD military spending, $100 billion in veterans benefits and health care spending, and $400 billion in interest on debt raised to pay for prior wars and the standing military.

The 2011 military budget, by the way, is the largest in history, not just in actual dollars, but in inflation adjusted dollars, exceeding even the spending in World War II, when the nation was on an all-out military footing.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Military spending in all its myriad forms works out to represent 53.3% of total US federal spending.</span> </div></div>

Q </div></div>

Yep, and Eisenhower warned us about the Military Industrial Complex.

Of course, even he couldn't have predicted that a president would come along who would lie us into an expensive war, for his oil cronies, cut taxes, push through a 7 trillion dollar prescription drug program, that was a giveaway to the drug companies, expand the Federal government, and then borrow us into unprecedented debts with on-going interest, and then walk away failing to pay for any of it, after years of looking the other way while the Wall Street greedy fat cats bilked the country almost into another great depression....

Yeah, people are going to be knocking one another over to vote Republican, LMAO!

Bush said the deep recession could lead to a decade long bad economy....after denying for over a year that we were even in a recession...

Obama has turned the numbers round in under two years....I'd say he has us going in the right direction....only 28% favor Republikooks....

G.

ugotda7
04-14-2010, 07:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Income tax isn't the only tax. Everyone pays tax.

Don't you feel ashamed that in the richest country in the world, HALF its citizens earn so little they don't pay income tax?

Q </div></div>

Not at all - pretty much anybody can succeed in this country if guess what............they actually try.......instead of looking to the government for a handout.

ugotda7
04-14-2010, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your Tax Dollars at War: More Than 53% of Your Tax Payment Goes to the Military
by Dave Lindorff

Q </div></div>

Yep, and Eisenhower warned us about the Military Industrial Complex.

Of course, even he couldn't have predicted that a president would come along who would lie us into an expensive war, for his oil cronies, cut taxes, push through a 7 trillion dollar prescription drug program, that was a giveaway to the drug companies, expand the Federal government, and then borrow us into unprecedented debts with on-going interest, and then walk away failing to pay for any of it, after years of looking the other way while the Wall Street greedy fat cats bilked the country almost into another great depression....

Yeah, people are going to be knocking one another over to vote Republican, LMAO!

Bush said the deep recession could lead to a decade long bad economy....after denying for over a year that we were even in a recession...

Obama has turned the numbers round in under two years....I'd say he has us going in the right direction....only 28% favor Repubolicans....

G.

</div></div>

I congratulate you - you must have worked hard to come up with a post as just plain stupid as this one is.

Wait....TOTAL IGNORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, still a punch line to a bad joke.

eg8r
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
I think we need to spend more on military, less on socialized healthcare, less on education, less on the arts.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we need to spend more on military, less on socialized healthcare, less on education, less on the arts.

eg8r </div></div>

Yeah, so that guys like you who lurk around on the net all day long, While on the dole from the DOD contracts, can keep on ripping all the rest of us off.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

eg8r
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Darn, I wish I was on "the dole from DOD contracts". Just another example of your ignorance.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darn, I wish I was on "the dole from DOD contracts". Just another example of your ignorance.

eg8r </div></div>

Just another example of your deceit. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

pooltchr
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darn, I wish I was on "the dole from DOD contracts". Just another example of your ignorance.

eg8r </div></div>

She shows her ignorance every time she posts. She spent years crying that our troops didn't have the equipment they needed to fight a war, and yet she complains that the DOD pays companies to provide the equipment they need!

Steve

LWW
04-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Seriously Q ... why do you continue to believe sites which are simply dishonest.

The entire DoD budget for FY 2010 $663.8B ... of which only $130B was used to support the Iraq/Afghanistan theaters.

&gt;&gt;&gt;COMMON DREAMS OBVIOUSLY HALLUCINATED AN EXTRA <span style='font-family: Arial Black'><u><span style='font-size: 17pt'>$1,000,000,000,000.00</span></u></span> TO MAKE THEIR MALEVOLENT LIE SOUND GOOD&lt;&lt;&lt; (http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=12652)

That being said ... I think it's time to bring the troops home from Europe and let the fiefdoms begin shredding each other as they did for all of history pre pax Americana.

I also believe it's time to bring the troops home from Japan as they are more than capable of defending their own nation and with the long term love affair between them, China, and Korea I'm sure that things will remain balanced like scorpions in a bottle.

The mideast should be stabilized and then an Arabian peace accord should be brought to fruition with Israel/Iraq/India left to keep Iran/Syria/Afghanistan in check.

LWW

eg8r
04-15-2010, 08:34 AM
And another example of your ignorance.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
04-15-2010, 09:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And another example of your ignorance.

eg8r </div></div>

Does your boss know how many work hours you waste on this site, while he's paying you to work???

I hope you pray to God on Sunday's for ripping your company off.

G.

pooltchr
04-15-2010, 09:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Does your boss know how many work hours you waste on this site, while he's paying you to work???

G.

</div></div>

Why does it matter to you?

Steve

LWW
04-16-2010, 08:43 AM
<span style='font-family: Arial Black'><span style='font-size: 26pt'><span style="color: #000099">SO Q ... WHY HAVEN'T YOU DENOUNCED YOUR SOURCE?</span></span>

<span style='font-size: 23pt'><span style="color: #CC0000">IT IS BEYOND OBVIOUS THAT THEY FLAT OUT LIED TO YOU, WHICH PROMPTED YOU TO REPEAT THE LIE.</span></span></span>

<span style='font-size: 20pt'><span style="color: #FFCC00">You incessantly try to imply that you operate at an elite intellectual level ... how can you never see through malarkey on the sites that you love?</span></span>

<span style='font-size: 17pt'><span style="color: #990000">You claim to love truth ... yet you continue posting nonsense from sources that have been proven to be full of lies and liars.</span></span>

LWW