PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Democratic Burries Repub 62% to 35%

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOCA RATON, Fla. — A Democratic state senator on Tuesday handily won the first U.S. House race since Congress passed a massive health care overhaul, beating a decidedly underdog Republican who tried to use the backlash against the measure to pull an upset.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Florida state Sen. Ted Deutch had 62 percent of the vote compared to 35 percent for Republican Ed Lynch. No-party candidate Jim McCormick trailed far behind with just 3 percent. The Associated Press called the race just about two hours after the polls closed.

Deutch, an attorney, and Lynch, a contractor, both 44, were vying to replace retiring Democratic U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler.

"I have never before felt the way that I feel at this moment," Deutch said to cheering supporters.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>"We've heard for months that tonight ... is a referendum on health care, it's a referendum on the (President Barack Obama) administration, it's a referendum on what direction this country is going," Deutch added. "Let me tell you something, what we learned today is that in Broward County and Palm Beach County, Florida, the Democratic Party is alive and well."</span>
Lynch of West Palm Beach sought to make the race a statement on the health care bill in District 19, which includes parts of both counties. About 40 percent of voters are senior citizens. But he had a tough task. Democrats outnumber Republicans by more than 2-to-1 – 234,000 to about 111,000.

"Obviously, it's not the results that we wanted," Lynch said.

"But it proved that people are willing to get out there and take our country back," he said of his supporters.

Wexler, a self-proclaimed "fire-breathing liberal," left office in January during his seventh congressional term to head a Middle East think tank. He was hugely popular in the district, which voted about 65 percent for Obama in 2008. Wexler, of Boca Raton, had endorsed Deutch.

He will now serve the remaining eight months of Wexler's term, then will have to run in November for his own full term.

Lynch had hoped public disdain for the health care bill and low congressional approval ratings would help him upset Deutch, widely seen as the front-runner. He sought to do what Republican Scott Brown did in Massachusetts when he won the Senate seat held for nearly a half-century by Democrat Edward M. Kennedy.

<span style='font-size: 26pt'>Lynch lambasted the health care overhaul as a government takeover and the gutting of Medicare, while Deutch told voters it would provide immediate relief.</span>
<span style='font-size: 26pt'>Lynch had also slammed Obama's stimulus bill as doing little to help the economy and called the president's timetable to withdraw troops from Iraq "moronic."

Deutch said he would have voted for the health care overhaul and the stimulus bill and supports Obama's Iraq strategy.</span>
</div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">Looks like the Repiglicans miscalculated, lol.... </span> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

ugotda7
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
http://billiardsdigest.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=303986#Post303986

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Florida Democratci Burries Republican 62% to 35%!

<span style="color: #000066">Lookos like the Repiglicans miscalculated! </span>

pooltchr
04-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Your point? You are talking about a <span style='font-size: 17pt'>state</span> office, not a national office, and it happens to be Palm Beach County which has always been a liberal stronghold.

No news here.

Steve

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 08:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> See: tea party movement, democrats v republicans, florida special election, palm beach county

As this blogger wrote earlier in the week, the Tea Party Movement is a media creation with little real bite, but who's life is consistently maintained by a drum beat of stories by Fox News and CNN. Neither cable network will tell you when a Democrat beats a Tea Party-assisted candidate, and that's what happened Tuesday night.

But the real story is one that's to be expected: one of demographics. It's not enough to be a Democrat or a Republican, the candidate has to match the people voting for that person. Ted Deutch did; Ed Lynch didn't.

Democrat Ted Deutch soundly beat Republican Ed Lynch in the 19th Congressional District special election in Broward County, Florida. It was Ed Lynch, 44, who ran on the idea that Washington was "broken" and the "Career politicians" couldn't fit it. Moreover, The Tea Party pointed to this election as one to get behind.

The blog Red County blog entry headline on April 11th read "TEA Party Working for Ed Lynch for Congress in Florida's 19th District" and Dr. Richard Swier, the blog author wrote "Tow the conservative line or else may be the message sent if TEA Party favorite Edward Lynch wins this special election."

So what's the message sent now?

The message is that the Tea Party Movement isn't strong enough to turn an unknown Republican candidate in a district that had 65 percent of its voters back Barack Obama for President, and is replacing a very popular democrat in Rep. Robert Wexler.

Moreover, the 19th Congressional District of Florida has a strong Jewish population. According to the Sun Sentinel, Ted Deutch was firmly behind Jewish causes and lives just west of Boca Raton which is part of Palm Beach County and that's 70 percent of the voting base. Ted Deutch is a lawyer; Ed Lynch is a contractor.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>Ed Lynch was outspent and outnumbered. 10,000 Tea Party Movement phone calls didn't help. And where was the anger over the Obama Health Care plan? It never showed up. Ed Lynch was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This not just proves that the Tea Party Movement is overblown, but that you have to pay attention to election demographics. </span>
Stay tuned.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail?blogid=95&entry_id=61247#ixzz0l5P9uvSA
</div></div>

ugotda7
04-14-2010, 08:52 AM
A Liberal Guide to Debating Conservatives
Mar 31, 2010 Author Scot Cerullo

Liberals have long since learned that debating Conservatives can be a challenging endeavor, since Conservatives have a penchant for fortifying their arguments with facts, statistics, history and other elements that create convincing and thoughtful arguments.

Not to worry. The following are several tips Liberals can use right away to begin defeating Conservatives in every debate, every time.

Lib Tip # 1: Drop the Race Card: The moment your Conservative opponent begins crafting a cogent, air-tight argument buttressed in fact, drop the race card. This technique is designed to stifle further discussion, impugns your opponent and puts him on the defensive. Often, this is enough of a distraction to direct attention away from your lack of qualitative, quantitative evidence.

Lib Tip # 2: Impugn the Source: When debating a Conservative, content is less important than character. When your Conservative opponent states a compelling argument, do not address the argument and instead attack the Conservative personally. Since we are all sinners, it shouldn’t take long to find something wrong with your opponent. Use it.

Lib Tip # 3: Social Justice Trumps Logic: Argue every issue from a “Social Justice” or “Moral” high-ground. The Conservative will attempt to show that your ideas are unworkable, unsustainable or downright illogical. Don’t worry about any of that. Just stay on message by arguing from the moral, social justice perspective.

Lib Tip # 4: Exploit the Weakest Link: Define your opponent by his weakest link. If 10,000 Tea Partiers hold a rally, and one guy has a placard that is inappropriate, that is all you need to characterize the entire group as radical, racist militants. See how that works? It’s simple and fun and, most importantly, deflects all those awkward facts and articulate points away from the discussion and leaves the Conservative in a defensive mode.

Lib Tip # 5: Use “New Speak”: If health care is not a right according to the Constitution, and you want it to be a right, claim it is and then raise your voice. Raising your voice is always the best course of action in lieu of a good argument. Redefine words to suit your needs, and always be on guard for any stray, powerful fact or statistic the Conservative may use to support their position.

Lib Tip # 6: State the Opposite of what you believe: If you are in favor of taking money from producers and giving it to non-producers, that’s fine, but make sure your wording is a bit more obtuse than that. Try saying you are in favor of moral and social justice, and characterize everyone who earns a good living as somehow having won the lottery in life, and all those who want as being desperately hard-working folks who have an almost allergic reaction to hand-outs. Never imply or point out in any way that people can change their situation simply by making better decisions.

Lib Tip # 7: Define America by it’s Errors, not its Successes: Taking a cue from Lib Tip # 4, it is important to characterize America by it’s errors in judgement and misdeeds. It is critical that you completely overlook the good things America has done, and the manner in which it has beaten back one dictatorship after another. In fact, you must go to some lengths to divert people from the notion that without America, the world would be a far more dangerous, hostile, sad place. So talk about Indians and Slaves.

Lib Tip # 8: Blame talk radio and FOX news for fanning hate and racism: Avoid at all costs the fact that both talk radio and FOX news stand in defiant refutation of an otherwise fully agreeable media that presents only one template, a liberal template. Also, attempt to divert attention should someone ask why Conservative Talk Radio and FOX news is growing exponentially, while traditional, liberal media is closing offices, thinning their employees and running deficits like, you know, the government.

Lib Tip # 9: Government is Good: Insist that a massive expansion of government is a good thing. Assert that it is our patriotic duty to pay ever more in taxes so that a centralized government comprised of east and west coast Liberal elites can decide what is best for the unwashed masses, since it would be sheer lunacy to allow individuals the right to make decisions for themselves. If you run into problems, see Tips 1-8.

Lib Tip # 10: Assign Blame away from Yourself: Always assign blame to the other guy, preferably a Conservative. This may require rewriting history so that people may one day believe that Reagan did NOT usher in 25 years of prosperity, or it may require still more retooling of the content of public school text books. But over time we’ll get there.

Remember: The ends justify the means. No matter how cruel and violating the means may be, if it results in a mediocre society where all citizens ultimately suck off the the government for their most meager needs, it will all be worthwhile.

There is of course the small matter of where all the money for all these programs will come from. Right now, they come from spirited entrepreneurs, dreamers with drive and other people whose passion poses a direct threat to the new world we want to usher in.

But first things first. Learn the ten tips to squelch free speech, hurt your opponent with the intellectual equivelant of a kick to the groin and avoid facts, statistics and studies altogether, as those will get you in trouble.

Good luck Liberals! Battle on and remember what Dennis Prager said: The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen. Oh wait, no. You don’t want to remember that. My bad. Here, try this: From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. Yeah, that’s the one. Whew!

pooltchr
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
If, as you would seem to want us to think, you believe that the Tea Party is insignificant and ineffective, why are you so concerned about them?????

Is it the same reason you are so fixated on Sarah????????

Me thinks she doth protest a bit too much!

Steve

LWW
04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Jefferson said that where the state feared the people there would be liberty ... where the people feared the state there would be tyranny.

Obama and his cult following are terrified of the people.

You need to know nothing else in order to understand them.

LWW

eg8r
04-14-2010, 11:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lynch lambasted the health care overhaul as a government takeover and the gutting of Medicare, while Deutch told voters it would provide immediate relief.</div></div> Wow, Deutch certainly lied his butt off didn't he. Since when is 2014 considered "immediate"? I am glad you bolded that so we could see the Democrat lying to the public. Not sure what you meant about "miscalculations". The Rep was outnumbered 2 to 1, it looks like the votes went along party lines for the most part.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 11:28 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lynch lambasted the health care overhaul as a government takeover and the gutting of Medicare, while Deutch told voters it would provide immediate relief.</div></div> Wow, Deutch certainly lied his butt off didn't he. Since when is 2014 considered "immediate"? I am glad you bolded that so we could see the Democrat lying to the public. Not sure what you meant about "miscalculations". The Rep was outnumbered 2 to 1, it looks like the votes went along party lines for the most part.

eg8r </div></div>

Your ignorance on the subject is stunning. That's nothing new, however....

G.

eg8r
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
LOL, whatever G. Your incessant need to think you have a handle on any of these subjects is equally stunning.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, whatever G. Your incessant need to think you have a handle on any of these subjects is equally stunning.

eg8r </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gifzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bamadog
04-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Gayle, would you like to put a friendly wager on the Nov. elections?
I think $5 or $10 per house and senate seat would make it interesting.
And since we've got such a popular President who champions legislation
the people are crazy about, I'm sure you'll take the cash.
What do you say?

llotter
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I was very disappointed in the results of this race. While the district is heavily Democratic, I was hoping that common sense would put up a better showing. I think the small-government conservatives need to study why they did so poorly. It could be that the Republican was a poor campaigner or had some other baggage that kept conservatives away from the polls. Maybe there will be an RW analysis at some point. I think only about 29000 voted and one would think that a conservative push could have pulled in more that that by themselves.

bamadog
04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamadog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle, would you like to put a friendly wager on the Nov. elections?
What do you say? </div></div>
Well, Gayle, are you going to put up?

LWW
04-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll match whatever amount she bets with bama is she's game. That is, if her husband will let her bet with the butter and egg money.

LWW

bamadog
04-16-2010, 12:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamadog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamadog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle, would you like to put a friendly wager on the Nov. elections?
What do you say? </div></div>
Well, Gayle, are you going to put up? </div></div>

Come on Gayle, let's set this up.
Now's your chance to prove your confidence in the President, his policies, and the popularity of the Dems.

pooltchr
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
There is no confidence. Just wishful thinking and the empty repetition of the party line.

Steve

LWW
04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Gayle ... I'll go easy.

$1.00 per house seat ... and I'll spot you 20 seats.

IOW if the dems lose 227-208 you still win $1.00.

If the status quo is the outcome you would win $95.00.

LWW

LWW

bamadog
04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle ... I'll go easy.

$1.00 per house seat ... and I'll spot you 20 seats.

IOW if the dems lose 227-208 you still win $1.00.

If the status quo is the outcome you would win $95.00.

LWW

LWW </div></div>
Hey, come on El Dub, you're killing my action.

Gayle is going to step up and put her money where her mouth is.

She actually believes the dems have the confidence of the people, and the President is doing a good job.

Right Gayle?

LWW
04-16-2010, 03:55 PM
It appears the man of the house doesn't condone gambling much.

I only undercut your offer because it seemed that yours was higher than she was allowed to wager.

LW