PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Predator BK Break cue?

08-21-2002, 10:06 AM
Im looking for a break cue and would like to know if does this break cue live up to the hype? Or should I go get a custom made break cue. Opinions please....
Thanks.

Doctor_D
08-21-2002, 10:12 AM
Good afternoon:

Owning Two (2) Predator BKs, I can attest to the fact that they are superior to the Falcon AC18 I used previously. Individuals who have borrowed and/or tried the BKs have shared this opinion.

However, with all that having been said, personal preferences, likes and dislikes will ultimately drive your decision.

Dr. D.

08-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Hi Dr D,
Can you please tell me what makes it so good and do you use a lighter cue as oppose to a heavier one?

Doctor_D
08-21-2002, 10:20 AM
Good afternoon:

Technically, I have No clue. Weight wise, my BKs are 18ozs where my playing cues ar 19.5ozs

Dr. D.

08-21-2002, 10:21 AM
the Predator Break Cue is one of the finest Cues you can buy. The "HIT" is a feeling hard to describe. The "sine wave" you feel is minimal & smooth. I know it is expensive, but if you play tournaments & you gamble... it's an investment for your future.

griffith_d
08-21-2002, 10:35 AM
I have not tried other "break" cues, but I love the Pred BK I bought last month.

Everything about it is made for breaking, XH tip, ferrule, joint, and the 314 shaft all make for a breaking stick.

I am getting to where I make something on the break most of the time.

Buy one,...most others are more expensive and you don't have the 314.

Griff

08-21-2002, 10:49 AM
It is by far the best break cue I have ever used. Everyone that I let use it (including one professional who uses it when we practice together, and a VERY well known professional that I let use it in a tournament after I was eliminated and didn't need it anymore) agrees.

I don't play with a Predator cue, because I can't stand they way they feel. But this isn't an issue with a break cue. They really did a great job on this one.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Some opinions about the heavier cues state that there is more force added to the Break.

Some opinions on the lighter cues state that there is more accruacy for the break.. hitting the head ball more solid.

Its a personal choice.. I have a 19 oz. cue to break,, and a 20 oz. cue to play. I go for accuracy..

08-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Actually, the opinion on lighter cues is that being lighter, one can accelerate them faster. Your statement is the first I have ever heard someone refer to accuracy in a lighter break cue.

PQQLK9
08-21-2002, 11:09 AM
My 18 oz. BK works well for me, but so does my 18 oz. Rhino and it jumps like a frog ($115.00 @ Rec. Factory Warehouse)

9 Ball Girl
08-21-2002, 11:10 AM
I've broken a couple of times with Tony's Predator break cue. I loved it. Of course I also love my 19oz Paul Delillo original!

Eric.
08-21-2002, 11:18 AM
By far, the best break cue. I love mine. I'm not a big Predator fan for my playing cue, I just don't like the hit. On soft to medium shots, my unscientific research says it don't make a difference. But for full power shots like the break stroke, it seems to hit solidly, and deliver a good clean hit. I feel like the Predator hype does seem to work(less deflection) for the hard break shot.

Eric >No Iron Willie, but close...

08-21-2002, 11:26 AM
You sound like me. I can't stand the way a Predator cue feels. I hate it. I despise it. It makes my cringe every time the cue touches the cueball. Sort of like that feeling you get when someone rakes their fingernails across a blackboard.

Okay, okay. It's not quite THAT bad! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif But I really don't like the feel. But like I said in my other post, that doesn't matter for a break cue.

But from what I have seen, Predator's work as advertised. They deflect very very very little. Playing with a friend's once, I could put the object ball 3 feet from the pocket, the cue ball three feet from the object ball (about a 10 degree cut), aim right at it, put on a tip and a half of inside english, and fire it right in. Didn't need to compensate at all.

But compensating is fine for me. I'm used to it. I can fire that shot in with my regular cue, too. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Mike,

I guess its because I live in the mid-west (Ind-OH-Ky) area were there are a lot of great pool players.

Eric.
08-21-2002, 11:37 AM

08-21-2002, 11:43 AM
Ummm...was that sarcasm? Or a direct insult?

BTW...I didn't mean the post to come across as harsh. E-mail and BBS's sometimes seem that way.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-21-2002, 12:37 PM
Niether Mike...

just a statement.

Population wise, these 3 states have a lot of very good pool players. The Derby City Classic is a great place to see the really good ones take on the pros..

08-21-2002, 12:48 PM
Understood. It's that e-mail and BBS thing again. I interpreted your statement to be pretty harsh.

Just for the record, I also know LOTS of great players. I happen to know personally many of the pros that people see in magazines and on TV. And many times I have travelled with them and roomed with them at big tournaments. Check my post on this subject about rooming with a very well known pro, and letting him borrow my Predator break cue, because he didn't have his break cue with him (long story behind how he wound up at a tournament without all of his cues.)

I'm not talking out of my rear end here when I talk about Pool. I actually do know a lot about the game, due to the company I keep. You can learn a lot by hanging out regularly with the best players in the world.

Please try to avoid the "I know more than you do because I know great players and you don't" insinuations in the future. Whether intended as an insult or not, it comes across as one. And it is also not true. I assure you (since you don't know me, you'll just have to either take my word for it or disregard it), I know quite a few world-class players.

08-21-2002, 03:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Erik:</font><hr> Im looking for a break cue and would like to know if does this break cue live up to the hype? Or should I go get a custom made break cue. Opinions please....
Thanks. <hr></blockquote>

It's a good break cue and they live up to their hype! But if you want a good decent cheap break cue, buy a Cuetec. I break with a Cuetec sneaky pete, no wrap. Just make sure to install a good hard tip. I use Talisman Pro EXTRA-HARD. Yes the Talisman XH is the bomb! You'll be surprise how the hard tip makes a big difference. Plus you don't have to worry that the fiberglass breaks since it's fckn durable. Mine breaks like a sledgehammer for the price of $60. Pred BK shaft will break, if you really are a hard breaker. Just ask Rodolfo "Boy Samson" Luat. He just broke a Pred BK shaft.

TonyM
08-21-2002, 03:46 PM
"Some opinions about the heavier cues state that there is more force added to the Break.

Some opinions on the lighter cues state that there is more accruacy for the break.. hitting the head ball more solid."

Actually, I think that there are good arguments that say the exact opposite!

Certainly for acuracy I think that the heavier cue is better.

But don't take my word for it. Try the following experiment:

Get several players together. Get a selection of house cues with weights that vary from 16 or 17 ounces to 21 ounces or more.
Now have them shoot a shot straight up and down the table and try and get 4 table lengths.

Note which cues produce the straightest path.

When I did this test with 4 good players they all got a straighter path with the heavier cues.

A few minutes of experimentation takes care of many hours of speculation.

Tony

08-21-2002, 04:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TonyM:</font><hr> "Some opinions about the heavier cues state that there is more force added to the Break.

Some opinions on the lighter cues state that there is more accruacy for the break.. hitting the head ball more solid."

Actually, I think that there are good arguments that say the exact opposite!

Certainly for acuracy I think that the heavier cue is better.

But don't take my word for it. Try the following experiment:

Get several players together. Get a selection of house cues with weights that vary from 16 or 17 ounces to 21 ounces or more.
Now have them shoot a shot straight up and down the table and try and get 4 table lengths.

Note which cues produce the straightest path.

When I did this test with 4 good players they all got a straighter path with the heavier cues.

A few minutes of experimentation takes care of many hours of speculation.

Tony <hr></blockquote>

I tried experimenting different cue weights for breaking. I tried 18 and 19 but 20 give me more accuracy and up til now i stick to that cue weight. I believe heavy cues gives more accuracy than lighter cue. I noticed the lighter cue wobbles midway when I break. I break like a monster and the 20 oz helps me stabilize straight the path of my break cue to it's target w/c is the OB. I don't believe in lighter cues are better i believe heavy cues are. I can break with the same amount of speed with a light cue. In fact all 18 19 and 20 are still light for me but 20 is my ideal weight. Probably cuz i can do martial arts and I have great strengh with doing 2 knuckle push ups /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif hehe

BTW, the best breakers use heavy cues. Look at Bustamante (20 oz) and Archer (21 oz)

Tom_In_Cincy
08-21-2002, 04:18 PM
Tony,

Opposite opinions and related arguments are good for learning. I will always be receptive to a good argument. Thanks for yours.. I will see what 4 good players where I play pool will do with your experiment.

That's the reason for this forum..

08-22-2002, 03:50 PM
Tommy Kennedy
http://www.azbilliards.com/tommykennedy/shot3.html
"A lighter cue will allow you to generate more cue speed, and therefore, more power in your break."

Bob Meucci
http://www.meuccicues.com/Cue%20Power.htm
"Thank goodness, most players have finally been educated to the reality that a lighter cue is more powerful."

Timothy White
http://www.billiardsanctuary.com/thebreak.htm
"Many players, these days, have switched to a lighter break stick. The reason is that the science of the break has come a long way in the last few years, and one thing we've learned is that cue stick speed is more important than the weight you put behind it. It's much easier to propel a lighter cue faster."

These are just a few examples of the tons and tons that are available. Really, these are just the examples that came up in the first couple of pages of the search engine I was using, so I was able to put them together in about 5 minutes. Didn't feel like spending more time than that on it.

I realize that opinions vary, but the typical choice nowadays is to pick a lighter cue for more power. And many (probably most) professional players and cue-makers see it that way.

Just offering some other possible explanations as to why I hadn't heard your view on light/heavy before. I'm pretty sure "I guess its because I live in the mid-west (Ind-OH-Ky) area were there are a lot of great pool players." isn't it.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Mike,

I copied My reply to TonyM.. about this very subject.....see later post in this thread.

You have presented some good references.. that I had not seen. Thanks for taking the time to do so.. I am investigating futher..

Again.. thanks, I am always open for new opinions

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Opposite opinions and related arguments are good for learning. I will always be receptive to a good argument. Thanks for yours.. I will see what 4 good players where I play pool will do with your experiment.

That's the reason for this forum..<hr></blockquote>

Q-guy
08-22-2002, 04:31 PM
I was under the impression the Predator cue butts were built by Falcon. Isn't it a Falcon with a 314 shaft on it? Is there something unique about the butt that makes it better suited for breaking? I haven't seen one but in looking at their website it seem like a lot of hype. I could be wrong.

08-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Thanks. I think we will consider the hatchet buried. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

And good luck at the Derby City Classic!

Elvis
08-22-2002, 10:04 PM
I believe that Falcon makes the butts with the exception of the Predator 2 cues and the BK, which Predator makes themselves. Not positive, just pretty darn sure of it.

08-22-2002, 11:53 PM
The one that I tried was an 18 ouncer and it smashed a rack like no tommorow. It would be great if Predator made that model in a Jump / Break style.

08-23-2002, 12:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr> Tommy Kennedy
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.azbilliards.com/tommykennedy/shot3.html>http://www.azbilliards.com/tommykennedy/shot3.html</a>
"A lighter cue will allow you to generate more cue speed, and therefore, more power in your break."

Bob Meucci
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.meuccicues.com/Cue%20Power.htm>http://www.meuccicues.com/Cue%20Power.htm</a>
"Thank goodness, most players have finally been educated to the reality that a lighter cue is more powerful."

Timothy White
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.billiardsanctuary.com/thebreak.htm>http://www.billiardsanctuary.com/thebreak.htm</a>
"Many players, these days, have switched to a lighter break stick. The reason is that the science of the break has come a long way in the last few years, and one thing we've learned is that cue stick speed is more important than the weight you put behind it. It's much easier to propel a lighter cue faster."

These are just a few examples of the tons and tons that are available. Really, these are just the examples that came up in the first couple of pages of the search engine I was using, so I was able to put them together in about 5 minutes. Didn't feel like spending more time than that on it.

I realize that opinions vary, but the typical choice nowadays is to pick a lighter cue for more power. And many (probably most) professional players and cue-makers see it that way.

Just offering some other possible explanations as to why I hadn't heard your view on light/heavy before. I'm pretty sure "I guess its because I live in the mid-west (Ind-OH-Ky) area were there are a lot of great pool players." isn't it. <hr></blockquote>

the best breakers bustamante (20 oz) and archer (21 oz) use heavy cues.

08-23-2002, 10:49 AM
The Predator shaft doesn't make a good jump cue. The reason for this is the reduced weight at the tip-end of the shaft. The weight is reduced for the purpose of reducing deflection. But in doing so, it makes the shaft poorly suited for jumping.

Cueless Joey
08-23-2002, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr> The Predator shaft doesn't make a good jump cue. The reason for this is the reduced weight at the tip-end of the shaft. The weight is reduced for the purpose of reducing deflection. But in doing so, it makes the shaft poorly suited for jumping. <hr></blockquote>
Mike, is the Pred breaker hollowed too or is just laminated?

08-23-2002, 11:56 AM
I am pretty sure it is hollowed out. I have heard stories of some shafts breaking because of this (no big deal for me, wouldn't be the first time I've broken a cue breaking, and I've got spare BK shafts; btw...I break pretty hard and have been using my BK for almost a year with no problems), but I don't know for sure if those stories are true. And Predator says the following regarding deflection on the BK:

"Predator's patented technology reduces cue ball deflection on any shot....all the more critical in breaking. The speed and power of the break magnify the effects of even a slight off center hit keeping precious energy from being transferred into the rack."

So it would seem it would be hollowed out, since that is how Predator achieves less deflection with their shafts.

If I wind up breaking one of my BK shafts, I'll report back on their exact constuction. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

In the meantime, any Pool players out there that work in a doctor's office that could sneak an X-ray of one? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Harold Acosta
08-23-2002, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Erik:</font><hr> Im looking for a break cue and would like to know if does this break cue live up to the hype? Or should I go get a custom made break cue. Opinions please....
Thanks. <hr></blockquote>

Why do you want to know? You're just going to break with it! Why spend $200-300 on a break cue? For what? Just a waste of your money!

All you need is one of your old cues, a good hard shaped tip, maybe a good ferrule and that's it!. No Predator will do wonders for your game, no matter what other people say!

Predators are hype cues and not worth the money! Don't fall for the hype, you'll be sorry.....

08-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Perhaps he isn't looking for something to do "wonders" for his game. Perhaps he is just looking for a cue that breaks a little better than most others.

Harold Acosta
08-23-2002, 05:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mike:</font><hr> Perhaps he isn't looking for something to do "wonders" for his game. Perhaps he is just looking for a cue that breaks a little better than most others. <hr></blockquote>

The Predator Break cue is not better than anything out there. There are countless cues that will serve this purpose. A Predator would be a waste of money!

08-23-2002, 05:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Mike:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Perhaps he isn't looking for something to do "wonders" for his game. Perhaps he is just looking for a cue that breaks a little better than most others. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

The Predator Break cue is not better than anything out there. There are countless cues that will serve this purpose. A Predator would be a waste of money! <hr></blockquote>

Like i said if you guys read my other post get a Cuetec and put a hard tip. That's all you need. I break with a Cuetec SP worth $60 and put an XH Talisman Pro tip. The fiberglass shaft will not break. Make sure to get the matte finished type shaft coating it's very smooth compare to the old sticky fiberglass shaft. Rodolfo "Boy Samson" Luat just broke a Predator shaft in half but I doubt he can do it with the fiberglass shaft. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-23-2002, 05:38 PM
I used to break with a Cuetec. It was, until I tried the Predator Break Cue, the best breaking cue I had ever tried.

And I did break a couple of cuetec's over the years. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I don't pull my cue up out of my bridge, like Johnny Archer does. I keep the cue in the bridge, and just bend the shaft into the table, like Bustamante does. The Cuetec's both broke at the joint, not the shaft. This was only after repeated abuse of breaking daily for over a year. Not bad for a $100 stick, though. The durable, fiberglass coated Cuetec shaft probably contributed to this, as it doesn't give as much as a non-coated shaft, and it forced more pressure right at the joint. I haven't seen any indication yet of joint were in my Predator BK. (I shouldn't have opened my big mouth. Now watch me break it tonight...)

I don't think I could break a Cuetec shaft if I tried! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-23-2002, 05:39 PM
I guess people's experiences vary. I have been very pleased with how the Predator BK breaks. So has just about everyone I know who has tried one. That's okay. Different opinions are what keep the world from being boring! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Voodoo Daddy
08-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Hey Tom...you know why its so windy in Kentucky? Because it sucks in Ohio and it blows in Tennessee!!! HAHAHAHA, oops!! In real life your right, lotsa strong players up your way. As far as the Predator BK cue...whatever works for you all, I'll stick with my MACE B/J cue.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Glad you didn't mention Indiana.. my birthplace.
and I grew up in Tennessee, work in Kentucky.. and presently live in OHIO

Kato
08-23-2002, 09:56 PM
I'm currently breaking with a Cuetec break/jump with a phenolic resin tip and a plastic composite ferrule from RT Custom Cues. I cracked my Cuetec ferrule 5 years ago, the composite ferrule has held up wonderfully and when I get my break grooved with that phenolic tip it smashes the break like a monster. I'll probably still buy a Predator BK but I won't throw this Cuetec away that's for sure.

Kato

08-23-2002, 10:01 PM
Hello all,

Instead of all this speculation, it is best to look to physics for the answer. For an object that is moving, the kinetic energy equals one half times the mass of the object times the square of the speed of the object. In other words, E = (1/2)mv2, where the 2 is the square of the velocity but can't be superscripted here because of the limited font. In other words, the energy transferred to the cue ball varies directly with the mass of the cue and with the square of its velocity.

Knowing this, the best mass or weight, colloquially speaking, for a break cue depends upon the maximum speed a player can reach with his forward arm motion without the heft of the cue slowing him down perceptibly. Remember, even with no weight at all in your shooting hand, you can only move your arm forward so quickly. The trick is to find a cue weight where your speed is at a maximum. Any lighter and you're decreasing the weight of the cue without increasing the forward motion of your arm. Any heavier and you're decreasing the forward motion of your arm and therefore the speed of the cue, which, if you look at the equation once again, is the more important factor in the creation of kinetic energy.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Voodoo Daddy
08-23-2002, 10:05 PM
I love Indiana! I played in a Bar-Box tournament in a..uh.. lets call it a "Breast Bar", lol. Also played some in Muncie, In., I know what your thinking and yes it was a tough spot!! Just pokin' some fun at my friends up north {its all up north from here, HAHAHAHA}

08-24-2002, 03:45 AM
Very helpful indeed, Bob.

I do think that it's important to consider the effect of cue weight on the accuracy of the breakshot, however. Anonymous commented about the relationship between cue weight and accuracy in this thread yesterday. Quite a few of us believe that we obtain an optimal combination of power and accuracy with a moderately hefty break cue.

Achieving maximum E isn't very satisfying if the cue ball goes in the side pocket!

D.M.

rackmup
08-24-2002, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr>No Predator will do wonders for your game, no matter what other people say! <hr></blockquote>

NOT TRUE!

Since switching to the Predator BK, I routinely pocket 7-8 balls ON EVERY BREAK! I am now banned from using this cue in seven western states! I'm going PRO! The sound of the cueball coming off my Predator BK is likened to F-16's launching from the "U.S.S. BADASS!" Kids cry, women run and wussy men cower beneath the tables...all asking:

"Who is that man in black with that GARGANTUAN snap?"

"I'm sorry? What did you say? Oh...the medication...sure, I'm ready for my medication..."

Regards,

Ken (likes his Predator BK despite breaking one shaft and wearing out the ferrules)

08-24-2002, 12:42 PM
Duke,

Your point is well taken. Accuracy and control is the most important consideration in all of billiards, pocket and carom, and the break in 9-Ball is no exception. The most talented - unfortunately, I can't include myself there - can break with power and accuracy, but for most of us it's a trade off. Having the cue ball hit the apex of the rack dead on with control is more important than powering the cue ball off the head ball to go ... well ... God knows where. It has happened to me too many times, and I don't like it. Of course, I don't practice the break much, probably because I prefer the grace and beauty of straight pool and the creativity and invention of one-pocket to the spectacle and panache of 9-Ball. In my opinion, 3-cushion billiards displays all these attributes and more to a high degree and I'd love to take it up, but, as the saying goes, so many games, so little time.

Bob

P.S. I like your nom de plume. Good shooting in the Petrified Forest, Duke.

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 12:56 PM
I would not put it quite as strong as you do, but I would like to know from, owners what exactly makes it better for breaking? The shaft according to their web site is 12 3/4 mm.
Not what I would select for breaking. The Predator shaft may make a difference, but what about the butt? What special properties does it posses? I don't think these are unfair questions for someone to ask that is about to shell out $300. for a break cue. I would like an answer beyond saying it is better. I am open minded, but need facts, not hype.

08-24-2002, 01:42 PM
Well, let me wade into the fray here for a change. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif First, Harold! Shame on you! I'm shaking my head in disappointment there Buddy, I thought we were over this crap.
You wanted facts from someone who actually knew how Predators were made? Here they are.
The BK, P2, and ALL shafts are indeed made on site at the Predator factory in Jacksonville, FL. The shaft for the BK is made from the laminate design, with the hollowed tip epoxy filled for durability. Wood being an organic compound, however, breakage from unusual force cannot be predicted for each and every player out there. That's why they guarantee 'em for a lifetime, provided you don't do stupid $hit with them. (like sand them down or crack your opponent over the head with them...) The butt end is constructed a bit differently than other cues. It is a little thinner in the grip area than other break cues, and is heavily back weighted to increase your stroke accuracy. The cue is also offered with a rubber grip, which I highly recommend. The rubber allows you more control with less grip, which lets your stroke stay loose and rhythmic, even on a 'big' shot like the break is for most people. The biggest feature everyone remarks on when they use my BK is the solid ("It's like a tree trunk, man")feel of the hit, and the way it just seems to leave the cue ball parked in the middle of the table. I have found that my 20 oz. BK works at its best for me when I use a medium hit on the break. Probably because my break REALLY sucks, when I hit really hard, I get less desirable results. I've seen guys who hit like a sledgehammer get great results with my cue though....It's gotta be me! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Predator spent a lot of time and money researching this product, and it shows. The cue is VERY different from anything else out there, as are all the Predator products. I've yet to hear a negative comment from anyone that has actually USED the BK, other than the price, of course.
Oh, someone asked about a jump/break from Predator. Here's the story. Along with the BK, they were trying to develope a better jump cue too. They got a design that would allow you to get over a ball less than a ball away from the cue ball, only problem was you couldn't get any distance with the thing. Predator has been unable thus far to come up with a jump cue that improves on the technology already available, hence the insider's slogan, "Predators don't jump." Dan being the genius he is though, I wouldn't doubt that he'll come up with something..... Now there are those folks who will smear Predator at every opportunity, but I think you've got to respect and believe in a company who doesn't trade on the value of their brand name by slapping it on a product that's no different than any other out there, and then charging a higher price for it. But that's just my opinion. Try one for yourself, and then make your own decision. Good Luck! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 02:57 PM
First of all, why so defensive? We are just trying to learn something here. You still have not said anything. The butt is a little thinner. Or you can get a rubber sleeve, which you can get at a billiard supply for $3.00. It is heavily back weighted to increase stroke accuracy. What does that mean? It is solid as a tree trunk. Again has no meaning. You said the shaft is laminated. Does that mean they are using a different shaft design, and not the radial designed 314 shaft? Do you feel they have chosen the shaft size because they feel you can break better with a small shaft? What are the dynamics? I always laugh at the terms cue companies like to use, such as,
Perfect balance for better play,
Designed for greater accuracy,
The feel players are looking for,
All these kinds of comments have no real meaning. Tell me technically how the cue is built and why. You have one, can you have someone use a micrometer and measure it? Measure it at the joint and at the middle and at the butt cap. Then measure the balance point. Weigh the shaft and butt separately. I would prefer to hear about it in technical terms that have some meaning. I have no opinion if it is any good or not. I am sure it works but the claim is, it breaks better then other cue and that has to be backed up with some facts?

08-24-2002, 03:44 PM
For those of you who may already have read my original reply to QGuy, I apologize. I'm not having a good life here. Qguy, I have no idea what your "defensive" remark meant, but I assure you, I have no personal interest in the fortunes of Predator cues, and therefore no reason to get defensive in the first place. May I humbly suggest that you contact the company personally, as your questions are obviously far too technical and involved to be answerable by the likes of us. 1-888-314-4111. Their engineer is on site, so if the sales reps can't help you, you can talk to the guy that built the thing. I wish you all the luck in your quest.
As for everyone at the board, I think I'm getting way too cranky to engage in pleasant banter with you all, so I think I will abstain from further postings until I resolve my personal situation. Have fun, and know that I miss you all! Lorri

Q-guy
08-24-2002, 04:05 PM
Your never posting again because someone asked you a question? I don't know you, I thought you may be a dealer or something with your references to the guarantee and so forth. I was just asking some simple follow up questions to your remarks. I am sorry.
I tried the number but got a recording saying to call during regular hours. I will try Monday.

TonyM
08-24-2002, 11:55 PM
" The BK, P2, and ALL shafts are indeed made on site at the Predator factory in Jacksonville, FL. "

Actually Lorri, only the P2 is made in house. The BK cues are made by Falcon Cues to Predator's specifications here in Ontario, Canada (trust me, I know). The shaft wood is laminated in FL, but the final assembly and turning to size is also done at Falcon.

Not that this means diddly to me either way. Still a quality product as far as I'm concerned.

Tony

bluewolf
08-25-2002, 06:46 AM
lorri

how much does the break cue cost. if it is that good, whitewolf and i may both get one.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-25-2002, 06:54 AM
i dont think it will turn a cruddy breaker into a great breaker, after all, 'it is not the wand,it is the magician'

however for someone who has a good game already, i think a good break cue would make more difference.

also my cues are wieghted slightly more in the shaft. having a break cue that is weighted more in the back, imo, could make a diff in punch power.

and geez, it is personal preference. we are not all clones and if someone wants a certain cue and has the money for it,why should i care. they can spend $1000 if they choose.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-25-2002, 07:00 AM
how technical do you want? we are pool players. lorri is just a nice person who picked it up, liked it and bought it.isnt that the way we pick out most cues.

if you want techical, call the factory.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-25-2002, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Quote: Mike: Perhaps he isn't looking for something to do "wonders" for his game. Perhaps he is just looking for a cue that breaks a little better than most others. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

The Predator Break cue is not better than anything out there. There are countless cues that will serve this purpose. A Predator would be a waste of money! <hr></blockquote>

gimmee a break hmmmm. 'one person's trash is another person's treasure'

bluewolf

Q-guy
08-25-2002, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TonyM:</font><hr> " The BK, P2, and ALL shafts are indeed made on site at the Predator factory in Jacksonville, FL. "

Actually Lorri, only the P2 is made in house. The BK cues are made by Falcon Cues to Predator's specifications here in Ontario, Canada (trust me, I know). The shaft wood is laminated in FL, but the final assembly and turning to size is also done at Falcon.

Not that this means diddly to me either way. Still a quality product as far as I'm concerned.

Tony <hr></blockquote>

Do you know what wood is used in the butt? Also, do you know the dimensions of the butt? Is the shaft a standard 314 and why is it 12 3/4? I find it hard to believe that through experimenting they came up with that size, as the best for breaking. I just don't think they have come up with anything special other then a marketing device. Any cuemaker that wishes to build a cue just for breaking, can build one that will break a little superior to a standard cue. When people say "The Predator breaks better then other break cues," What break cues are they comparing it to? Are there any others on the market? If they are used to breaking with a house cue or their playing cue then yes, it may be a little better. I my experience though most players break cues are just a second cue that they carry and does not have any unique qualities for breaking. I would say Predator is putting a 314 shaft on a plain inexpensive unwrapped butt and calling it a break cue. I am not buying the pitch that this cue is the result of years of research. Am I wrong.

Q-guy
08-25-2002, 08:06 AM
You should ask questions, and not accept things at face value. People when they make a purchase whether it be a car, a cue or whatever, seem to say things to convince themselves they did the right thing. So I tend to discount their opinions a little and would rather have real facts. In response to your comment "We are just poolplayers." One thing I always notice about pool players is, for the most part they don't know much about the equipment or even the history of the sport. This does not seem to be the case in most other sports. Golfers and tennis players seem to learn a lot about every aspect of their sport. If you are to be a student of the game, you should try to learn everything you can about it.

OnePocketChamp
08-25-2002, 09:38 AM
I can attest to the fact that Rackmup has a monster 9-ball break, but I have never cowered under the table prior to his break but do find myself coming to the pool hall with cotton stuffed in my ears. He thinks it's to lessen the pain to my ears as he breaks but the truth is it's to block out his whining.

Voodoo Daddy
08-25-2002, 05:31 PM
Ever go to a Golf Pro Shop and watch all the Monday morning PGA wanna-be's buying that new $400 driver? "Its the club so-and-so use's, its gotta help me"!! Its not what you spend, its what does the job.

Harold Acosta
08-25-2002, 06:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Ever go to a Golf Pro Shop and watch all the Monday morning PGA wanna-be's buying that new $400 driver? "Its the club so-and-so use's, its gotta help me"!! Its not what you spend, its what does the job. <hr></blockquote>

Voodoo, you hit the nail right in the head! In my opinion, the Predator cue or shaft has become the "I must have cue" for whatever reason. Q-guy also hit the nail when he stated that the most of the propaganda on this and many other cues is meaningless! In my opinion, all bullcrap!

Apparently, the cue has its followers but the reasoning of why it is better than others sometimes border in the ridiculous!

I still give the benefit of the doubt to those that somehow truly believe that the cue has made "wonders" for them but the Predator is not for "everyone" and this is what irritates me when people try to "convince" me that the cue is the best thing in this darn planet!

I have my very own opinions about the cue/shaft, and some people "just don't get it" that I am entitled to this opinion! Of all the Pred's that have come out, I just haven't see one that is pleasing to my eye!

I have owned 2 Predators shafts but Predators and Harold ~ just don't mix!

preacherman
08-25-2002, 09:34 PM
Good sites, but I personally have tried a lighter break cue and a heavier break cue. I think part of it has to do with how fast your break is. In my case I don't have a fast break like some out there, and I find the heavier cue makes for a better break for me (with my slower break).

The best break cue weight is REALLY the one YOU break best with regardless of weight.

Jim

08-25-2002, 11:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Your never posting again because someone asked you a question? I don't know you, I thought you may be a dealer or something with your references to the guarantee and so forth. I was just asking some simple follow up questions to your remarks. I am sorry.
I tried the number but got a recording saying to call during regular hours. I will try Monday. <hr></blockquote>

Dude, do you even read the posts of others before you begin typing? I did not say I was never posting again, I said I was having some personal issues that were making me unfit for polite company, and was therefore taking a break. Frankly, the only reason I'm here tonight is becasue a friend called and told me about this. Now, if you please...... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

rackmup
08-26-2002, 06:28 AM
... Global starvation and everyone on the planet would be stuffed tonight!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr>You should ask questions, and not accept things at face value.<hr></blockquote>

With all due respect, you are making quite an assumption that we are all "blind-leading-the-blind-suckers-for-every- new-cue-on-the-market".

I cannot speak for everyone but I am certain that I am not the only one that compared cues before laying down money for the BK and an extra BK shaft.

I compared the BK against the "Sledgehammer" jump/break cue, Cuetech break cue, McDermott break cue and the Bunjee jump/break cue.

They all broke well. I mean, I did hit the rack and the balls spread over the table with each and every break but then, if that is all I was looking for, I could just use a house cue.

I chose the BK because of it's "feel" (something that felt right to me may not feel right to you), the warranty, I liked the balance of the cue in my hand, the "hit" (solid everytime, even on off center cueball hits!) and I liked the quality of the finish. The only thing I didn't like about the cue was the price but hey, it's only money...I'll just go out and earn some more.

The folks griping about Predator "scamming the public with worthless propoganda" are probably those who were burned on something years ago, touted as the "cure-all" to what ailed them...perhaps they bought into the hype of the "Pet Rock", the "AMC Pacer" and the aerobic benefits of playing "Hula Hoop".

Bottom line: If someone likes it, don't fault them for buying it. If they believe it makes them a better breaker, then it probably does.

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
08-26-2002, 06:37 AM
...and I call you my friend!

I just think you are getting cranky in your old age.

Regards,

Ken

Q-guy
08-26-2002, 06:47 AM
A lot of people have personal issues in their lives, that does not give them the right to be rude. Many hang around on boards like this as a little bit of an escape from their everyday lives. It is supposed to be fun and maybe even a little educational. Lighten up, this is just a stupid internet board.

Q-guy
08-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Except for the Sledgehammer, none of the other cues you tried are designed to be a break cue. The companies are just use the term "Break cue" as a marketing tool to sell the buyer a second cue of their brand. Nothing wrong with that, but they try to lead people to believe these cues are the result of some kind of extensive research. The fact is any cuemaker will build a breaking cue that will perform very well if they were so inclined. The demands of building good a break cue are not very high. I have no real issue with the price. It may seem high to many people for a cue you just break with, but it is still a cue, and cues in the $300. range are entry level. That actually does not make it very expensive. In fact it may be the reason cue makers don't bother messing with break cues, they don't even build $300. cues. I really believe in break cues, I have been using a break cue for years even when most players just broke with their own cue. I was playing Richie Ambose (sp) one time and he had a break shaft. He would change shafts every time he broke, that was like 30 years ago. Have you tried breaking with the BK cue with a shaft off another cue? Also take the shaft off the Bk and put it on another cue and see what effect it has on the break. I would be curious. If you are interested the break cue I have is built a little different. I use a 13 1/2 mm shaft with an extra long taper for follow through and hard tip. I also made it so I could easily change the weight, that way I could really fine tune the cue through play and not just a guess. Being able to change the weight should be a feature on any break cue to get it best suited to the player. I don't like guessing. I have cut the joint at .875, instead of the most common .840. This is the size you find on the many billiard cue joints. The butt is cut to 1.240 at the buttcap in a straight taper. The cue is not wrapped. I use a rubber grip similar to the grips billiard players use but I make them myself. I have been using one of these grips for years. I buy surgical tube at a medical supply. It is very thin and adds only a fraction on an ounce to the cue. They ware out, but cost almost nothing anyway. The billiard wraps you buy weigh around an ounce and make the cue very fat. They work but I don't like them as much for the mentioned reasons. The butt is turned from a solid piece of Purpleheart. The shaft is just a standard maple shaft. I have some laminated shafts and I may try one on the cue to see if I see any difference. This cue is somewhat unique and I designed it to meet my needs. That is why I ask about the real concept behind these other cues, if there is any. There is more to it then just giving it the name "Break cue." As much as I like my cue, for what ever reason you may not. It is not a one size fits all deal, there is more to it.

Q-guy
08-26-2002, 11:03 AM
I called Predator as someone suggested and they were pretty honest about the cue. I just got off the phone with Predator and here was what I was told. I asked about the shaft. I was told they use the 314 shaft on the BK cue. I asked if they chose the size 12 3/4 because it was better suited for breaking. I was told no, that is the way all their shafts are made they are mass produced at the same size and taper. They do however put on a special layered tip. I asked if it could be gotten in a different shaft size if I wanted, they said no. I then asked about the butt. Is it made in any special way for breaking. The answer was no, it is a mass produced butt, (their words) made by Falcon in Canada. I then asked if it was any special dimensions such as thinner or fatter for breaking. The answer was no, it is just a standard butt from Falcon with no wrap. I forgot to ask what wood was used in the butt, but I don't think it mattered any more. The cue is as I originally thought. A plain stock Falcon butt, with a stock 314 shaft, nothing more except for the special tip, what ever that means. It is a marketing ploy to sell more cues. If you like it, that is good, but it is nothing special.

rackmup
08-26-2002, 02:00 PM
It's interesting what you were "told" by Predator...I wonder who you talked to? The regular 314 shaft and the BK 314 shaft look completely different. The BK shaft is smaller, has a different ferrule and the joint collars are different.

Hmmmm...

Regards,

Ken (likes the BK regardless of who made it, what it's made of or it's design)

Q-guy
08-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Is the shaft smaller then 12 3/4? That is the standard shaft size for the 314 and the size refereed to in the advertising for the BK. I spoke a person at the number 1-888-3144111 with predator cues. Maybe there is some kind of misinformation going on. I hope Martha Stewart is not involved.

Cueless Joey
08-26-2002, 03:58 PM
QG, correct me if I'm wrong.
Can't one just make a cheap good break cue by using a puplehear shaft and a cutoff house cue with a heavy stainless steel joint?
Purpleheart is stiffer and having a forward heavy cue should help a little on the snap I would think.

Harold Acosta
08-26-2002, 05:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> I called Predator as someone suggested and they were pretty honest about the cue. I just got off the phone with Predator and here was what I was told. I asked about the shaft. I was told they use the 314 shaft on the BK cue. I asked if they chose the size 12 3/4 because it was better suited for breaking. I was told no, that is the way all their shafts are made they are mass produced at the same size and taper. They do however put on a special layered tip. I asked if it could be gotten in a different shaft size if I wanted, they said no. I then asked about the butt. Is it made in any special way for breaking. The answer was no, it is a mass produced butt, (their words) made by Falcon in Canada. I then asked if it was any special dimensions such as thinner or fatter for breaking. The answer was no, it is just a standard butt from Falcon with no wrap. I forgot to ask what wood was used in the butt, but I don't think it mattered any more. The cue is as I originally thought. A plain stock Falcon butt, with a stock 314 shaft, nothing more except for the special tip, what ever that means. It is a marketing ploy to sell more cues. If you like it, that is good, but it is nothing special. <hr></blockquote>

[b]OK, everyone! We have just found out with Q-guy's post that the Predators are "Plain Janes" disguised as "Super-Man."

Their new slogan:

Another mass produced cue for Company Profitability!
Extensive research on marketing an inferior product!
Don't get caught dead without them!

I'm glad that I was "right" all along! Yeeha!

08-26-2002, 05:20 PM
The BK shaft's taper is noticably different from other Predator shaft tapers. Go to http://www.seyberts.com/predator/break/index.htm and click on the "More info" button in the middle. You will find the following statement about the shaft taper:

"The Predator BK's 314 10pc spliced shaft is designed with a stronger taper to help the shaft maintain it's shape under the tremendous force generated during the break."

So at the very least, the statement you were told about the shaft was incorrect.

08-26-2002, 05:30 PM
When the BK came out, I had no interest. I was already breaking with an 18oz. Cuetec, which was the best breaking cue I had found so far.

I was playing with a friend of mine one day, and I didn't have my cues with me. So I used her Predator break cue. I loved the way it broke. It broke better than my Cuetec, which broke better than a few different plain-jane cues I had tried before. So I wanted one. What's so bad about that?

And there are some differences in the shaft taper, the joint, and the balance. The shaft has a thicker taper. they use a wood-to-wood uniloc joint, instead of a metal joint. The butt is balanced a bit further back. There is also probably an inertial-mass difference compared to other Predator cues, due to the thicker tapered shaft and the more rear-ward balanced butt. But that last one is just a guess of mine.

What's the big deal?

Q-guy
08-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Don't know what to tell you, the people at Predator told me they use the same shaft on all their cues including the BK. I could not get it different even if I wanted.

08-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Compare them sometime. Go to a store that has both, and look at them side-by-side. The taper is different.

rackmup
08-27-2002, 05:06 AM
There will be no convincing Harold that the Predator BK is better than a tree limb shaved of it's bark and a slab of leather glued onto the end so let that one alone. His mind is closed tighter than Enron's assets.

As for Q-Guy...I don't know who you talked to at Predator but if you only look at the different shafts (on the BK and the standard 314) you will see the difference.

Bottom line is this: If you like the BK, fine. If you don't, well, that is fine too. To force your opinions one way or the other on someone else is a futile waste of time. I like my BK and wouldn't trade it for any other break cue. I know others who feel the same. I also know guys like Harold...they still think 45rpm records are better than CD's, The Ford Pinto was a great car and that polyester powder-blue bell-bottoms, worn with platform shoes, are still in style.

Regards,

Ken (Harold...that ruffled shirt looks great with those hip-huggers. Groovy baby.)

griffith_d
08-27-2002, 06:09 AM
rackup,...what is wrong with powder blue bell bottom? lol

The BK is a fine breaking stick,...I am getting to where I make something most every break with it,...how can you fault a cue like that.

Griff

Q-guy
08-27-2002, 07:25 AM
I said in one of my other posts I did not feel $300. was a lot of money for a cue. So if it works for you that is great. But don't fool yourself in to thinking you have what is some state of the art piece of technology. At best they build a unique shaft with interesting qualities that many seem to like. This cue is one of their shafts on an inexpensive stock Falcon butt and nothing else. Before posting this I went to my other phone and called them again. The person I spoke to (I won't use their name) said they had been with the company for four years and has been involved with every aspect of the company from turning the shafts to marketing. The shafts come out of the same stock and except for a slightly shorter ferrule, the BK shaft is the basic 314. I am just trying to objectively discuss the cue based on facts and not fantasy. I didn't make those calls to prove a point. I wanted to know, and would be just as happy to find it is the most amazing thing to come along in years. You can choose to believe what you want, but no one is trying to force an opinion on anyone. We are talking facts not opinion. I forgot to add, that while I was on the phone with the Predator person, I was asking so many questions about the shafts that here is what the person did. They said, "Listen, let me walk over here for a moment (pause), OK now I am holding a shaft for a Predator cue and a shaft for a BK cue. Except for the little shorter ferrule, I can assure you, they are the same shaft, are you convinced now?" Anyway, that is what I was told. This discussion is a little bit my own quirkiness. I like to know things and make an effoty to learn. I always get the shop manuals when I buy cars. I may not plan on getting under the hood, but I like to know what there is to know. That is just me.

bluewolf
08-27-2002, 10:17 AM
then i would like to know some options. what are really good break cues and price

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-27-2002, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr>Quote: Q-guy:Your never posting again because someone asked you a question? I don't know you, I thought you may be a dealer or something with your references to the guarantee and so forth. I was just asking some simple follow up questions to your remarks. I am sorry.
I tried the number but got a recording saying to call during regular hours. I will try Monday. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Dude, do you even read the posts of others before you begin typing? I did not say I was never posting again, I said I was having some personal issues that were making me unfit for polite company, and was therefore taking a break. Frankly, the only reason I'm here tonight is becasue a friend called and told me about this. Now, if you please...... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

glad to see you here, Lorri. Sometimes I have to take a break too so I can get something done, LOL. we had to move my stuff this weekend. we were packing and loading sat and sun and unloading mon.then we passed out from all the work.
after taking 3 days off from ccb to get this stuff done, now am back on tues.

gotta get off soon to rest up for our lessons with scott lee tonight....yeah.

'their are jerks in every forum and sometimes it is me' lol

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-27-2002, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> A lot of people have personal issues in their lives, that does not give them the right to be rude. Many hang around on boards like this as a little bit of an escape from their everyday lives. It is supposed to be fun and maybe even a little educational. Lighten up, this is just a stupid internet board. <hr></blockquote>

doesnt seem like there is only one person being rude here. and btw, will the persons who have never been rude in their life, please say me. not me.

being human means being so overwhelmed at times it comes out as rudeness. and then sometimes i have to apologize

bluewolf

08-27-2002, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr>
I like to know things and make an effoty to learn. I always get the shop manuals when I buy cars. I may not plan on getting under the hood, but I like to know what there is to know. That is just me. <hr></blockquote>

q, i, for one, appreciate you raising the question and working toward the answers. it's interesting stuff.

i'm on the record as a pretty solid pred fan but i have to admit that i don't like it as much for breaking. i've borrowed various pred breakers and have not been impressed at all. honestly, the best break cue, for me, was a pechauer mid-line with the weight bolt taken out. that thing had the longest bolt (at 19 oz) i've ever seen and, although i didn't measure it, i think it wound up at about 17oz. pechauer makes a fairly stiff shaft and with a talisman w.b.hard the thing just broke great. unfortunately, i had agreed to sell it to a teammate so it's gone and i'm using one of my preds to break. like many others, the only real reason i use a break cue at all is to preserve my shooting tip and defer it's demise.

i should break this discussion into 2 parts. power and control. having a low mass 'shock absorber' type shaft (pred) seems counter-intuitive to me for getting power. the business end of the pred is designed to absorb energy in the first place. that's how they reduce squirt. it does, however, a very nice job at putting the c.b. where you want it to go since it is more forgiving of the slight misses that naturally come with really powering the stroke.

by the way, bob jewett is reprising his jacksonville tape material this month in the second of a 3 part piece on squirt. so far, he's talked about what it is and why it is so next month he'll get into the various technologies used to attenuate it. probably focusing on pred and meucci but maybe others. should be interesting considering all the copy we've generated on the subject here.

final on pred breaker: fuller hit on target ball but slightly less speed.

dan

Q-guy
08-27-2002, 11:28 AM
I was one of the first to order the tape of the project and it was, It least to me, very interesting. I brought it to the pool room and most could not even sit through it. This kind of detail stuff has to interest you.

Q-guy
08-27-2002, 11:33 AM
You are right, a real friend will let you get away with stuff and not be so quick to judge or react. Sometimes people just need their space. I wish I had deleted that post and not been so bent on getting in the last word.

Rod
08-27-2002, 04:43 PM
Quote Q-guy, Have you tried breaking with the BK cue with a shaft off another cue? Also take the shaft off the Bk and put it on another cue and see what effect it has on the break. I would be curious. If you are interested the break cue I have is built a little different. I use a 13 1/2 mm shaft with an extra long taper for follow through and hard tip. I also made it so I could easily change the weight, that way I could really fine tune the cue through play and not just a guess. Being able to change the weight should be a feature on any break cue to get it best suited to the player. I don't like guessing. I have cut the joint at .875, instead of the most common .840. This is the size you find on the many billiard cue joints. The butt is cut to 1.240 at the buttcap in a straight taper. The cue is not wrapped. I use a rubber grip similar to the grips billiard players use but I make them myself. I have been using one of these grips for years. I buy surgical tube at a medical supply. It is very thin and adds only a fraction on an ounce to the cue. They ware out, but cost almost nothing anyway. The billiard wraps you buy weigh around an ounce and make the cue very fat. They work but I don't like them as much for the mentioned reasons. The butt is turned from a solid piece of Purpleheart. The shaft is just a standard maple shaft. I have some laminated shafts and I may try one on the cue to see if I see any difference. This cue is somewhat unique and I designed it to meet my needs. That is why I ask about the real concept behind these other cues, if there is any. There is more to it then just giving it the name "Break cue." As much as I like my cue, for what ever reason you may not. It is not a one size fits all deal, there is more to it."

Q-guy I for one agree, there is more to it than calling it a break cue. I like your concept, although mine would be slightly different. Those bulky rubber billiard grips would be out for sure. One of the best handles IMO for breaking is on an Excaliber cue. It's some type of texture that does not require a firmer grip. Weight is critical as mentioned, I like to fine tune them. The fat shaft is more forgiving IMO than any so called low squirt cue. Why would I want to hit it with a stick, when I could use the whole branch, my analogy. It works for me, but not all of course.

PQQLK9
08-27-2002, 06:47 PM
FWIW I use a predator shaft on my McDermott and I also have the BK2 ...they are two totally different shafts. Now...I have broke with the BK shaft on my Lucasi butt ...and while it did ok...it did NOT break as well as the BK butt...(both are Un-lock 18 oz butts).Now I did not try the Lucasi shaft on the BK butt. For $300.00 bucks it was worth a try but I would not spend 4 or 5 K on a custom cue unless I win the lottery.

SPetty
08-28-2002, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> honestly, the best break cue, for me, was a pechauer mid-line with the weight bolt taken out. that thing had the longest bolt (at 19 oz) i've ever seen and, although i didn't measure it, i think it wound up at about 17oz. pechauer makes a fairly stiff shaft and with a talisman w.b.hard the thing just broke great.<hr></blockquote>The weight bolt I removed from the Mali (formerly ~19 oz) that I use for a break cue measures in at 6-15/16". The cue ended up, I think, somewhere shy of 16 oz. I'm thinking I'll put it back.

Q-guy
08-28-2002, 09:29 AM
It is probably a common bolt, most likely a 3/8 x 16. You can get some different length bolts at a hardware store and mess with different weights. You would be amazed, you can feel 1/4 of an ounce

bluewolf
08-28-2002, 10:48 AM
this discussion has been educational for me. i like hearing about different cues. right now i have two 300$ cues and am using them to break with. i cannot break very hard yet, so it doesnot seem a problem. also if one did break, i would have one to play with while the other one was being fixed.

might get one later but for now,i have other stuff to work on.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-28-2002, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> You are right, a real friend will let you get away with stuff and not be so quick to judge or react. Sometimes people just need their space. I wish I had deleted that post and not been so bent on getting in the last word. <hr></blockquote>

nobody is perfect. &lt;VBG&gt; btw, i can be pretty bad about wanting to get in that last word too.

bluewolf

Rod
08-28-2002, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> this discussion has been educational for me. i like hearing about different cues. right now i have two 300$ cues and am using them to break with. i cannot break very hard yet, so it doesnot seem a problem. also if one did break, i would have one to play with while the other one was being fixed.

might get one later but for now,i have other stuff to work on.

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

The real reason for a break cue other than a specific weight, shaft size, tip etc is to not put your playing cue through abuse. The tip on your play cue would become flat and not desirable for regular play. Another reason is to protect the finish on the handle so you don't get any chips or dents. Other than that if your careful and do not hit the balls very hard it will be just fine. After all the break cue is very new compared to the history of billiards.