PDA

View Full Version : Pizza talk.

LWW
04-22-2010, 06:03 AM
For indoor cooking I have been very happy with >>>THIS<<< (http://www.amazon.com/Presto-03430-Pizzazz-Pizza-Oven/product-reviews/B00005IBXJ/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_4?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFourStar) as opposed to using the regular oven and heating the kitchen.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PNQTJAW0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has a top and bottom heating element and they can be set for different times. The pizza rotates so that it cooks very evenly ... and with the separate elements you can get the crust and the toppings cooked for different time lengths.

It's big drawback is that the largest size it will hold is a 12 inch pizza.

It's biggest strengths are that you don't have to heat up the kitchen with the oven, the chance of getting burnt are far less, cooking a pizza to your personal desired levels for both crust and toppings, and you get the pizzeria smell going while it cooks.

LWW

LWW
04-22-2010, 06:08 AM
For grilling outside we have a pizza pan similar to this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TQ3iZ7WEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The handle snaps on and off allowing the pizza to be lifted from the grill and it snaps off easily allowing the grill lid to close.

LWW

Sev
04-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Nice.

Speaking of grills. Just saw the Big Green Egg. Locally. Have to check it out.

Have you ever done pizza over coal?

llotter
04-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I can only guess at your carbon footprint. Have you no shame?

Stretch
04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only guess at your carbon footprint. Have you no shame? </div></div>

There must be like a hole in the ozone right over his house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif St.

LWW
04-23-2010, 05:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice.

Speaking of grills. Just saw the Big Green Egg. Locally. Have to check it out.

Have you ever done pizza over coal?

</div></div>

Both over coal and over charcoal.

Homes that heat with coal are still somewhat common in rural appalachia. I haven't seen a commonly used home coal cookstove for quite awhile ... but I remember some folks still having them when I was a child.

LWW

pooltchr
04-23-2010, 07:24 AM
I lived in eastern KY for about a year, and many people depended on coal for home energy. It was sad to see, but about once a week, one of the coal trucks would end up overturning on the mountain roads. People would show up at the accident scene with shovels and buckets to load up some spilled coal to take home for heat. We do what we have to do!

Steve

LWW
04-23-2010, 07:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I lived in eastern KY for about a year, and many people depended on coal for home energy. It was sad to see, but about once a week, one of the coal trucks would end up overturning on the mountain roads. People would show up at the accident scene with shovels and buckets to load up some spilled coal to take home for heat. We do what we have to do!

Steve </div></div>

We are veering off topic ... but the saddest part is that there likely wouldn't be a coal fired plant or a coal heated home left in America if it wasn't for the greens incessant bleating to prevent the use of:

- Nuclear power.
- Hydroelectric power.
- Wind power.
- Shale oil.
- Off shore oil.

LWW

Sev
04-23-2010, 07:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: llotter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can only guess at your carbon footprint. Have you no shame? </div></div>

I am considering a coal furnace and stove. Your CFP can never be to big. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Sev
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
So now veering back into pizza land.

What sort of flavor are you getting using char?

LWW
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So now veering back into pizza land.

What sort of flavor are you getting using char? </div></div>

I haven't done one by charcoal in a coon's age ... but it would depend on the type wood used.

LWW

LWW
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
<span style='font-size: 14pt'><u>EL DUBB'S HEALTHY AND DELICIOUS PIZZA RECIPE</u></span>

First off, their are more than one brand for each of the ingredients. I will mention the one's I have found preferable. This recipe will make 1 12"-13" pizza and is based on 8 slices.

CRUST:

For a quickie I use a Boboi "WHOLE GRAIN" crust. For a more home made version I use "HODGSON MILL" whole grain flour for a thin crust and a 50/50 mix of their WG flour and all purpose natural white flour.

Most of the nutritional damage in pizza is in the crust so I strongly suggest that you stick to whole grain.

SAUCE:

I use just a generic pizza sauce, with a lean towards low sugar content. Kroger's seems to work best.

I use half of a 14 oz jar and half a can of a 6 oz generic tomato paste.

First, I mix those to an even consistency. Then I mix in the following ingredients:

- 1 TBSP no salt, which is potassium and counteracts the salt in your system without leaving a saltless taste.

- 2 TBSP of garlic powder, not garlic salt.

- 1 TSP of ground cinnamon.

- 1/4 cup diced onions.

- 1 TSP yellow mustard.

- 1 TBSP oregano.

- 1 finely ground bay leaf.

- 1/4 TSP cayenne pepper.

Then I stir each one in separately.

TOPPINGS:

- 1/4 cup diced green peppers.

- 1/4 cup diced red peppers.

- 1/8 cup diced jalapeno peppers - remove the seeds.

- 1/8 cup diced banana peppers.

- 20 slices of Hormel turkey pepperoni.

CHEESE:

Here I use 1 eight oz package of Kroger's, or Kraft, fat free mozzarella. This is the only ingredient that has a very slight difference from regular pizza as far as taste ... and that is because it can overcook easier than regular mozzarella.

COOKING:

The amount of "DONENESS" is completely arbitrary. On the rotating oven ... see above ... I use the first 9 minutes with the bottom element only and the second 9 minutes with the top and bottom element turned on.

Ovens and grills vary so much that I will only advise to watch the product closely until you have a knack for your unit's heat output.

NUTRITIONAL DATA PER SLICE:

236 calories.
10 grams of fat.
18 milligrams cholesterol.
27 Carbs.
2 grams fiber.
9 grams protein.

LWW

llotter
04-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes, I used a nearly identical receipt in the National Pizza Bake Off except I substituted Chef Boyardee brand boxed pizza with pepperoni. I was told by one of the esteemed judges that I would have won but for failure to hide the my secret methods and was disqualified.

LWW
04-23-2010, 04:19 PM
When I make scratch crust I also add some cinnamon into the crust mix.

If I get REAL ambitious I make the crust large enough for a 16" cust then add a mix of cheddar cheese ... mozzarella cheese ... chopped onions ... cinnamon ... garlic powder ... and tomato paste and make a stuffed crust pizza by adding it into the overcrust and then rolling it up to seal it as an edge to the pie.

LWW

Sev
04-23-2010, 05:34 PM
More a Jersey thin crust guy myself.

LWW
04-24-2010, 04:29 AM
You would like the all whole grain recipe then.

LWW