PDA

View Full Version : Tips on longer straight in shots

phil in sofla
08-21-2002, 01:53 PM
The straight in long shot is among the most feared shots in pool.

Some of the older tips most of us have already seen are: 1) just shoot the cue ball into the pocket, ignoring the object ball; 2) aim at the base of the ball, or actually on the cloth, to easily find the center of the object ball.

I've been using 3) line up the edge of the cue ball with the edge of the object ball (left to left, or right to right), to assure a full ball hit.

Just read a new idea: 4) use either top or bottom stroking on the cue ball on such shots.

The claim is that a) often the problem is inadvertent English put on the cue ball, b) that such English on the cue ball has its greatest throw effect on the object ball when hitting the object ball full (as you would in a straight on shot), but that c) the throw is greatest when the cue ball 'stuns' into the object ball (skidding into it without rolling either forward or backwards). So, by this theory, when possible, using a top or bottom stroke on the cue ball in this situation will minimize the throw effect, and help make more balls.

I find this interesting but not exactly consistent with how I throw balls. That is, when I need to really throw a ball, I will normally use both side English and bottom stroking on the cue ball, which I've always thought gave me the best throw action.

So I buy that maybe top could minimize the throw, but not sure that bottom could do that also.

Opinions?

Rod
08-21-2002, 03:38 PM
"So, by this theory, when possible, using a top or bottom stroke on the cue ball in this situation will minimize the throw effect, and help make more balls."

I favor #3 with a very relaxed grip. Definately more towards an actual throwing motion, med speed. If I favor any english it would be a fraction below center. I don't want to clutter my mind about throw, if you hit it dead center without side english then there is no throw. The premium on this shot is accuracy and your confidence to deliver a straight stroke. It can be slightly above center to below or center ball. Phil set the shot up and shoot it two or three times each way after your warmed up. Then shoot it at least 10 times each way to see what works best for you. I also suggest to use a grip pressure lighter and firmer than your normal. The answer is there, in the stroke mechanics unless vision or alignment is poor. Theory is just that, theory, and one more thing to clutter the mind.JMO

TonyM
08-21-2002, 03:41 PM
"I find this interesting but not exactly consistent with how I throw balls. That is, when I need to really throw a ball, I will normally use both side English and bottom stroking on the cue ball, which I've always thought gave me the best throw action."

This actually doesn't contradict the basic idea. Most people when they want to throw a ball also use a soft low hit on the ball. What this does is slow the cueball down so that it arrives with no backspin at the object ball. Or close to it.

The idea is that throw is dependant on the surface sliding friction of the two balls during the collision. So adding some top or bottom spin will act the same way to reduce some of this sliding frictional component.

But the reason why it seems that a low hit works better has to do with how the cloth tries to bring any hit away from the equator back to natural roll. So with top spin, you never end up with stun (no spin), the cloth will make sure that you get at worst, natural roll. This is still some spin when compared to stun.

But with draw, at least some of the time you will end up with stun.

And if you just used centerball, and struck it softly, you might end-up with natural roll again.

So soft draw is the most forgiving way to end-up with stun, and therefore maximize the throw effect.

And I think that using a little bit of follow or draw on a straight-in shot makes good sense, if the position demands of the next shot can tolerate it.

Tony

phil in sofla
08-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Tony,

Good call. Yes, of course, when I'm trying to maximize throw with draw, I'm also hitting softly, so that the throw from the English takes best. It is very likely that with such a soft stroke, there is no draw left on the shot by the time it gets there, so that maybe my experience is actually confirming this theory, rather than contradicting it.

Somebody remind me, when I have any crazy pool theory, to run it by Tony! You rarely fail to impress the heck out of me!

TonyM
08-21-2002, 11:21 PM
"Somebody remind me, when I have any crazy pool theory, to run it by Tony! You rarely fail to impress the heck out of me!"

Good god!, cough, sputter, gag!

Give me a break!

Tony

Voodoo Daddy
08-22-2002, 10:56 PM
Phil...long straight balls among the most feared? Gimme long and straight all day, you can keep 90 degree cuts off the rail with needed shape on the other end of the table. Long and Straight is a favorite of mine, really makes me slow down and send it!!