PDA

View Full Version : MMMMM ... MMMM ... good.

LWW
04-24-2010, 07:26 AM
There are a lot of burgoo recipes out there.

Here is our family's burgoo recipe revealed.

- 3 lbs chopped grilled chicken.
- 3 lbs chopped beef stew meat. I've also used buffalo as a substitute.
- 4 cups chicken broth.
- 4 cups beef broth.
- 2 cups of either butter beans or lima beans.
- 1 lb thinly sliced carrots.
- 1 cup okra.
- 2 tsp black pepper.
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper.
- 32 oz pureed tomatoes.
- 8 potatoes sliced.
- 2.5 cups chopped vidalia onions.
- 3 fifteen oz cans of whole kernel corn, or fresh corn in same amount.
- 3 fifteen oz cans of diced tomatoes.
- 1 well chopped cabbage head.
- 2 cups diced green pepper.
- 2 tbsp no salt (potassium).
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce.

Mix the broths together with the powdered peppers. Mix in the meat and simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes, until the meat is quite tender.

Mix everything else in.

Cook on low for about 2.5 hrs, stir regularly and thoroughly to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. As it cooks add in water to maintain the preferred consistency. Usually no more than a cup.

This will feed a family get together of 10 folks quite well.

LWW

Sev
04-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Just what exactly is this??

A Chili?

LWW
04-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Burgoo is an appalachian dish whose history probably originated from "IRISH STEW" AKA "MULLIGAN STEW" and is somewhat like chili.

In it's roots it was simply that a family would take whatever meat ... venison, rabbit, squirrel, beef, pork, poultry, opossum ... that they had and mix it into a stew along with whatever vegetables were plentiful.

It's one of those things where there is no "STANDARD" recipe. Each small town family owned restaurant still running in appalachia will likely have it's own home brew on the menu.

LWW

llotter
04-25-2010, 09:55 AM
In the farm country where I was born, the families used to get together out in the woods where someone had prepared an opening with benches and tables from logs and, in a huge iron kettle hung on a tripod over an open fire, make something like this and it was called, 'humgulian (?) stew'. Of course, I was just a little kid at the last one I attended before moving, so I really can't remember what it tasted like but everyone seemed to have a great time celebrating the harvest. Yes, the old days bring fond memories.

LWW
04-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm sure it's very similar.

Most "SOUL FOOD" has a similar origin.

Poverty forces community.

LWW