PDA

View Full Version : Question

pooltchr
04-26-2010, 07:38 AM
If one person starts a fire, and several other people join in to pour gasoline on the fire, who is guilty?

Steve

Sev
04-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Without the party of the first part initiating the action the parties of the second part would not be moved to action.

pooltchr
04-26-2010, 08:33 AM
So the action of the first party exonerates the action of the others?

Steve

Sev
04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
The action of the party of the first part sets the stage for the action or non action of the parties of the second part.
The actions of the parties of the second part are independent of the action of the party of the first part. As such those actions would be judged separately.

Both parties could be found guilty of crimes. However the nature of the crimes would be different.

sack316
04-26-2010, 09:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one person starts a fire, and several other people join in to pour gasoline on the fire, who is guilty?

Steve </div></div>

All are culpable, at worst of the same charge and at best as accessories after the fact. In this particular case, given the "adding fuel to the fire" I'd personally say just as guilty.

Sack

pooltchr
04-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Thank you, guys. That was what I was thinking as well.

Steve

ugotda7
04-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Anybody ever seen when they blow up an oil well fire and starve it of oxygen in order to extinguish it? It can be difficult and might take a few tries, but in the end it's very effective and worth the effort.

Or it can be ignored and hope that it burns out over time after having not polluted the surrounding environment too badly or wasting a bunch of resources.

In my world hope is not an option.

ugotda7
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you, guys. That was what I was thinking as well.

Steve </div></div>

It was a poor analogy from the start.

LWW
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ugotda7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody ever seen when they blow up an oil well fire and starve it of oxygen in order to extinguish it? It can be difficult and might take a few tries, but in the end it's very effective and worth the effort.

Or it can be ignored and hope that it burns out over time after having not polluted the surrounding environment too badly or wasting a bunch of resources.

In my world hope is not an option. </div></div>

An apt analogy.

As to the OP ... a more appropriate question IMHO would be this.

Someone starts a fire.

Someone else yells <span style='font-size: 14pt'>"HEY ... THERE'S THE ARSONIST WHO STARTED THE DING-DIDDLY-DARNED FIRE .... AND I SAW HIM START ANOTHER ONE YESTERDAY ... AND ANOTHER ONE THE WEEK BEFORE ... AND SEVERAL MORE BEFORE THAT ... I'VE HAD ENOUGH!!!"</span>

Someone else says "Yeah ... but it probably isn't nice to call the arsonist an arsonist just because he's an arsonist. Maybe if we all just kept quiet he wouldn't start any more fires."

Who is at fault ... the arsonist or the citizen who attempts to stop the arsonist from starting another blaze ... or the citizen who walks away hoping the problem somehow resolves itself without them getting involved?

LWW

pooltchr
04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm really surprised that someone as intelligent as you seem to be, can't see what you and others are doing to contribute to the demise of this forum.

Steve

LWW
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
<span style='font-size: 17pt'>"It became necessary to destroy the village to save it."</span>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>-Anonymous US Army Lt Colonel-
-speaking on Ben Tre , Viet Nam-</span>

I like this forum as well.

This type of trolling has become less and not more.

As much as I would like to see peace ... I will not bow to an internet troll.

It amazes me that you cannot see through the smoke and witness the fire.

LWW

LWW
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Lest we forget:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brother Dub, there will be no forgiveness from me</div></div>

LWW

pooltchr
04-26-2010, 01:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 17pt'>"It became necessary to destroy the village to save it."</span>
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>-Anonymous US Army Lt Colonel-
-speaking on Ben Tre , Viet Nam-</span>

I like this forum as well.

This type of trolling has become less and not more.

As much as I would like to see peace ... I will not bow to an internet troll.

It amazes me that you cannot see through the smoke and witness the fire.

LWW </div></div>

In my opinion, that makes about as much sense as "We have to spend our way out of a depression", as suggested by the supporters of the stimulus.

You are doing nothing to stop the "trolling", but just making the problem worse.

I am reminded of a quote I have seen occasionally on the internet. Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I see you being dragged down. Ugo seems to already be there. Everybody needs to get out of the gutter.

I'm just offering my opinion. Even if Hondo is as evil as you portray him, you are acting just as bad.
Here is a question to ponder. If one is bad, aren't three worse?

Steve

LWW
04-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Here's what I know ... I haven't seen him post today and the forum has become a little more peaceful already.

If UGOT persists in his absence ... I will agree with you.

I don't believe that he will.

I have known both of them for a good bit.

LWW

Qtec
04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If one person starts a fire, and several other people join in to pour gasoline on the fire, who is guilty?

Steve </div></div>

Hondo made the mistake of coming here and complaining about the AZ posse. If he was aiming to make a clean break from the problems he had on AZ he should never have mentioned it here. By doing so, he gave them the opportunity to invade and justify their invasion.

The real problem is that Hondo [and Gayle] both take things too personally.
People should take these boards for what they are, an opportunity to vent because you will very rarely change someone's point of view.

LWW, the Great Debator' who came to slay the 'Obamatrons' is reduced to one line quips[ much like eg8r]that are rarely on topic or make any sense.

Bring back G for some informative posts. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Q

LWW
04-27-2010, 03:55 AM
So now it's my fault that the far left here is ... at it's very best ... capable of nothing more substantive than a cut and paste from a party organ followed by a post and run?

That was just precious.

Furthermore, I have never said that I came here to "SLAY THE OBAMATRONS" as you deceptively claim ... and further drive home the veracity of my first point.

I came here at the invitation of hondo and he swore that the brilliant leftists here would shred me ... which was also precious.

The truth is I have slain many of the leftist myths ... including many of yours ... by actually reading the links which you have posted without reading.

LWW

Qtec
04-27-2010, 05:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I came here at the invitation of hondo and he swore that the brilliant leftists here would shred me ... </div></div>

.......and they have, many times but you are too stupid or pig headed to realise it. You live in your own world which bears no resemblance to reality and no matter how many times you are proved wrong, you can never accept it.

Q

LWW
04-27-2010, 05:40 AM
You are just adorable when you try to act smart.

LWW

pooltchr
04-27-2010, 07:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
.......and they have, many times but you are too stupid or pig headed to realise it. You live in your own world which bears no resemblance to reality and no matter how many times you are proved wrong, you can never accept it.

Q </div></div>

Q, let's be reasonable here. You can say many things about Larry, but calling him stupid accomplishes little, and is actually inaccurate. He is well read, and posts many things simply to point out the hypocracy that runs rampant in our government. Just because you don't like what he says is no reason to get into name calling.

This is my only issue with Larry. I enjoy his posts when they are topical and address issues. I wish he could get over the flame war mentality and just stick to what he does best...highlight the misinformation that the left generates on a regular basis.

Your comment can only add to the negativity that is overwhelming this forum.

Steve

LWW
04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q, let's be reasonable here. You can say many things about Larry, but calling him stupid accomplishes little, and is actually inaccurate. He is well read, and posts many things simply to point out the hypocracy that runs rampant in our government. Just because you don't like what he says is no reason to get into name calling.

This is my only issue with Larry. I enjoy his posts when they are topical and address issues. I wish he could get over the flame war mentality and just stick to what he does best...highlight the misinformation that the left generates on a regular basis.

Your comment can only add to the negativity that is overwhelming this forum.

Steve </div></div>

Thanks, but that is the far left's modus operandi ... and is pure Alinskyism.

It also is a large part of what is wrong with our nation ... the far left has bullied and accused people to the point they simply aren't willing to give another millimeter.

LWW

Sev
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
However. Non political threads do not need to be a battle ground.

A good tactician knows when, where and how to engage in battle.

The point being. If you wish other members to participate in the forum then perhaps the battle can be contained in the appropriate threads.

For instance.
What would be gained in a verbal battle in a photography thread.
The only thing that would be accomplished is to prove to other members that the entire forum no matter what the subject matter, would be reduced to a flame war.

That in and of itself is not helpful in the least.

Carpet bombing vs smart bomb.